Ford Unveils Its Noise-Canceling Dog Kennel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Dec 18, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Ford has developed a new dog kennel that has a built in noise canceling system that is similar to the noise canceling technology found in Ford vehicles like the Edge SUV. Dogs can hear sounds 4 times further than humans can and loud sounds such as fireworks can hurt their ears and make them flinch in discomfort. The noise cancelling system in the kennel will keep dogs from having to suffer through loud sounds. This is accomplished through a microphone that detects a loud noise and then plays the opposite sound wave through speakers to counteract the loud sound.

"We wondered how the technologies we use in our cars could help people in other situations. Making sure dogs and their owners could enjoy a stress-free New Year's Eve seemed like the perfect application for our Active Noise Control system, and we have a few more ideas in progress as to how our everyday lives might benefit from a little Ford know-how." Just a prototype for now, the noise-cancelling kennel is the first in a series of initiatives - called Interventions - that applies automotive know-how to help solve everyday problems.

dragonstongue likes this.
  2. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Best comment from the article. "My spouse snores like the devil. I'm 5'6" tall...wonder if my dog would let me in too!"

3. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

I'm sleeping permanently in a different room, wifey can't stand my snoring and I get stressed when I change position in bed not to wake her up. Best solution is to share the bedroom only for special occasions.

4. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

My wife snores like a bear so now I can't sleep in a quiet room.

5. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

Snoring, alarm clocks, crying babies, and barking dogs, I sleep through it all.

6. cyriak

cyriak n00b

those spikes above the entrance look little...
    stress inducing....
    to me...

7. Rahh

Rahh [H]ard|Gawd

Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuffs have been doing this for years for humans and now they have them for dogs already too for sport hunting etc... No need for way overpriced dog kennel and the dogs can be protected anywhere. This product was not needed but to only show off for their vehicles.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  8. A Little Teapot

A Little Teapot Limp Gawd

Great. Now can they make one that muffles the sound of barking?

craigdt likes this.
  9. steakman1971

steakman1971 2[H]4U

Cool I guess? I would like one so I could sleep in it. My wife snores. She says I do to, but I don't believe her...

Sulphademus likes this.
  10. mord

mord Limp Gawd

Perfect for my watchdog. Now he can sleep peacefully every night and not be bothered by loud sounds like breaking glass, doors kicked in, screaming...

Uhm... wait a second.

Sulphademus, Rahh, c3k and 5 others like this.
  11. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

12. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

When it breaks down, is it easy to push.....

Wrecked Em likes this.
  13. dragonstongue

dragonstongue 2[H]4U

I SO need one of these for myself lol...I sleep poorly at night with exterior noise keeping me up (especially where I live) if it is cosy enough, I can finally get my "dragon" dungeon.
    I seen a few "helmet" styles, but they are brutally pricey and good luck falling asleep in one.

nice idea Ford...am sure our furry friends need a proper nights sleep as much as their humans do ^.^

14. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

15. greenman

greenman Gawd

Geez, forget the dog- I need one of these.

xmadror, cageymaru and DocNo like this.
  16. nimer

nimer n00b

I dont believe a dog is going to be content with that automatic door so close

17. DocNo

DocNo Gawd

Stuff like this should be standard equipment for bedrooms. Just build it in.

18. Zarathustra[H]

I guess you guys have never heard of these?

71NNtzA%2BHqL._SX522_.jpg

I'd imagine they work both ways, keeping noisy barks in, and noisy fireworks out.

Makaveli@BETA likes this.
  19. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

Here for this.

Satisfied!

20. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I have a similar situation as B00nie . When we go on vacation my wife wears similar earplugs making it possible for us to sleep in the same room / bed and actually get decent sleep.

21. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

At this point I'm dependent on her endless growling to sleep. When I have to stay in a hotel I don't sleep at all. Silence keeps me awake all night.

22. Fifliffl

Fifliffl [H]Lite

Oddly enough my exact brand and bottle of earplugs for my wife's snoring lol

Makaveli@BETA and Zarathustra[H] like this.
  23. commissioneranthony

commissioneranthony [H]ard|Gawd

This is how you advertise your technological improvements. First the ford rocking baby crib and now this sound reducing dog house. Sure they are not doing anything groundbreaking, but hey why not take your areas of expertise and expand their application? Good job Ford.

24. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

So what your saying is my kennel would be as expensive as a base model mustang?

25. B00nie

Ever heard an alarm clock? Not with these - unless you want to wake up the entire house with you. And those won't muffle my elbows hitting her or one of my farts. Yeah, that's one advantage of sleeping alone. In your own room, no one can smell you fart.

26. harmattan

harmattan [H]ardness Supreme

He kids, but I once designed a sound-proof/vibration-proof pillow enclosure to drown out noise and movement when I lived in an apartment next to the BQE... a "sound-proof room for my head", as it were. My GF at the time loathed it, but then she wouldn't give up the apartment due to the great location and stabilized rent.

27. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

Cool tech. Maybe they could include a drive unit and auto-drive and Fido's bed can take him to the vet for those checkups while the human(s) are at work.

28. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous 2[H]4U

I have to sleep in the guest room because the plush poofy king size mattress the wife picked out is way too soft and murders my back.

29. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

Ever think that was intentional?

30. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

May want to get tested for sleep apnea. I was a horrible snorer. Got tested and found out I had severe sleep apnea. Change my life too. I feel so much better in the morning.

31. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

I thought Bose would have beaten everyone to this! :troll::p

32. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

when me and the wife moved out of the middle of LA to our home in country area.. it was soooooo quiet we had to get a little noise machine.. so we listen to it "rain" or waves.. etc all night.

33. B00nie

Yeah been thinking about that sometimes - but at least I don't have breathing breaks as far as I know.

Kinsaras likes this.
  34. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

35. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

get a sleep study and a cpap machine!

36. B00nie

Those won't make my wife disappear from next to me :D

oROEchimaru likes this.
  37. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

I want the reverse version of this. For the neighbor's dog.

38. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes, tried em, doesn't work at all for me. I feel like I'm under water. Every noise from inside my body, or my clothing is instantly amplified tenfold. And no matter what size or shape the plug is it won't last 2 minutes before falling out of my ear. The same goes for earphones as well. I'm really struggling with those too. I think only hipsters wear headphones in public, and no matter which earphone I try, they keep falling out of my ears.

Active noise cancellation doesn't work both ways. Unless it is specifically designed to work both ways, but then it would cost twice as much.

39. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Fireworks used to be alright I suppose. What's not to like about a light show with lots of booms and bangs. At some point I realized we're not scaring all the animals and little children on the surface, but also possibly harming birds and insects. And for what? I honestly don't find them fun. Yeah, I said it. Fireworks suck. Loud motorcycles suck even more.

40. Zarathustra[H]

Ah, my bad. I forgot it was active. I was thinking it was just insulating when I wrote that comment.