For you AGP Hold outs

Do BFG lifetime warranty mean "lifetime of the card" (is there a specific number for that) or lifetime as in forever? :D

Next time please post at least the name of the product in the title, posts with absolutely no information are really frustrating.

BFG Tech BFGR78256GSOC GeForce 7800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
http://www.bfgtech.com/7800GS_256.html
Specs: http://www.bfgtech.com/images/BFG spec sheet pdfs/7800GS_256MB_AGP_sheet.pdf

As per the warranty, BFG offers a Lifetime Warranty, if you have questions about it give them a call. Though their products are really high quality, so it is unlikely that you'd need to cash in on the warranty :)

Chipset
  • Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
  • GPU: GeForce 7800GS
  • Core clock: 400MHz (vs. 375MHz standard)
  • PixelPipelines: 16
Memory
  • Memory Clock: 1250MHz (vs.1200MHz standard)
  • Memory Size: 256MB
  • Memory Interface: 256-bit
  • Memory Type: GDDR3
3D API
  • DirectX: DirectX 9
  • OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
  • Ports: 1x D-SUB, 1x DVI, 1x S-Video Out
General
  • Tuner: None
  • RAMDAC: 400 MHz
  • Max Resolution: 2048x1536
  • SLI Supported: No
  • Cooler: With Fan
  • Operating Systems Supported: Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, NT4.0 with service pack 5 or 6
  • System Requirements: CPU with processor speed of 700MHz or higher, 128MB of RAM, CD or DVD-ROM drive, An available AGP 2.0 slot or higher, 35MB available hard disk space (50MB for full installation), A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more), An AGP compliant motherboard. Some motherboards violate the AGP specification and therefore this card may not physically fit in some systems, An available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)
Features
  • Vista Ready: Yes
  • Features: AGP 8x/4x compatible, Superscalar GPU architecture, NVIDIA CineFX 4.0 engine, NVIDIA UltraShadow II technology
Packaging
  • Package Contents: BFGR78256GSOC, Software Disk, Driver Disk, Power Cable, DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter

vbrtrmn said:
Next time please post at least the name of the product in the title, posts with absolutely no information are really frustrating.

I humbly apoligize for my ignorance. :rolleyes:

you should be n00bie lol
smile.gif

there is an AGP ATI x1950Pro with HDMI outputs on it now.
talk about a sweet AGP Card. ;)

I'd take Nvidia drivers and a bit slower card over an ATI card with their craptastic drivers ay day of the week.

This comes from being a LAN party organizer for the last 10 years.

New games typically work fine, but if you want to play an older game with new drivers it's a crapshoot if it'll work or not, and moreover, even if it does work --- you may get graphical glitches in older titles. The guys with ATI cards at the LAN parties are constantly juggling drivers.

NOT WORTH IT, in my opinion. Nvidia drivers are far superior.

Archaea said:
I'd take Nvidia drivers and a bit slower card over an ATI card with their craptastic drivers ay day of the week.

New games typically work fine, but if you want to play an older game with new drivers it's a crapshoot if it'll work or not, and moreover, even if it does work --- you may get graphical glitches in older titles. The guys with ATI cards at the LAN parties are constantly juggling drivers.

are you still stuck in the 1990's? I've had zero problems with Ati drivers since the radeon series was released. I've gone back and forth between ati and nvidia, both seem to make great products and drivers nowadays.

Archaea said:

flamebait.

however the microsoft .net framework and freaky bloating of the drivers, made me switch from my ati 9600 pro to the nvidia 7800gs, 10 months ago. the drivers weren't glitchy they just required alot more of my valuable 512 ram. and i hated the fucking splash screens.

they should be better by now, but i refuse to install .net just for video card drivers.

so nvidia for me.

oh and the ati card outperforms this, but this price is good bang for buck.

Ocean said:
i refuse to install .net just for video card drivers.

so nvidia for me.
you can still get ati drivers-only downloads, see the second download link from this ati page:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonx-xp.html

it does say that it the second link only gives "basic functionality", so i'll let some ati owners elaborate on that. however, there are 3rd party drivers and tweaking software that could provide an alternate way to make advanced tweaks without needing the dotnet framework.

nothing about flamebait man.

I've hosted and organized a LAN party for mid Missouri every 2 or 3 months for about 6 years of those ~10 years I've been hosting lan parties --- though in the last couple years I've slowed down the frequency.......

The WCCF LAN party has typically 25-35 in attendance. Smaller group than some? - - yes, but hosting/organizing this group has let me see a LOT of computer configurations. Nvidia definately has the better drivers and gives you the troublefree gaming exp.

Stuck in the 90's you say? Some of it yes, but recent exp included. We play a vast array of old games, some games from the late 1990's, some newer. Nvidia drivers have only ever had a problem with an old game one time in all my collective exp. The ATI cards routeinly have trouble. By routienly I mean some of the ATI guys are switching drivers three times a LAN in order to play all the games.

I'm not flaming - I'm just stating the facts. I've seen it over and over, and am well qualified to make this statement/observation.

Anyway - the original poster has a good deal posted and a great upgrade for AGP only motherboards with still decent 3.0+ ghz processors.

1950 pro will kill it - when you can find one. Likely to be 100.00 more, too.

Anyone know the actual hard release date is for the 1950?

until then - and even after, this is a good deal assuming you get the rebate.

BB

Archaea said:
Stuck in the 90's you say? Some of it yes, but recent exp included. We play a vast array of old games, some games from the late 1990's, some newer. Nvidia drivers have only ever had a problem with an old game one time in all my collective exp. The ATI cards routeinly have trouble. By routienly I mean some of the ATI guys are switching drivers three times a LAN in order to play all the games.

can you name a few games? just curious

Crashday
C&C renegade
Giants Citizen Kubato
Freedom Force
Carmageddon TDR2K
Bontago

There are others, I can't remember right now.

I'll ask a couple of my friends who have had ATI cards for additional games These are the ones I just recall off the top of my head...You'll notice that a lot of these aren't AAA titles. Well that's the problem, the AAA titles are supported with the ATI drivers, but the smaller, less popular games are like very much hit or miss,--- things like artifiacts, shaders messed up, textures missing, and just flat out not loading on some of the games were very common encounters at our LANs. It's like they some how didn't do any testing with any games outside of the newest and oldest AAA titles. Some drivers would work fine on a set of games, but then one game would be broken...install a newer or older driver and it would fix 3/4's of the games again, but 1/4 of them would break and it might be a different 1/4 of the games.

I fail to see anything in your post that makes you an authority on drivers.

If you're the one that build their computers that require reinstalling drivers 3x during a lan, then not only would you be an anti-expert, but I'd probably hide my computer from you!

But seriously, the problem is probably deeper than their drivers if they think they have to go through all that at a lan.

Archaea said:
nothing about flamebait man.

I've hosted and organized a LAN party for mid Missouri every 2 or 3 months for about 6 years of those ~10 years I've been hosting lan parties --- though in the last couple years I've slowed down the frequency.......

The WCCF LAN party has typically 25-35 in attendance. Smaller group than some? - - yes, but hosting/organizing this group has let me see a LOT of computer configurations. Nvidia definately has the better drivers and gives you the troublefree gaming exp.

I'm not flaming - I'm just stating the facts. I've seen it over and over, and am well qualified to make this statement/observation.

Anyway - the original poster has a good deal posted and a great upgrade for AGP only motherboards with still decent 3.0+ ghz processors.

Archaea said:
Crashday
C&C renegade
Giants Citizen Kubato
Freedom Force
Carmageddon TDR2K
Bontago

oh really? I remember just playing that not too long ago with an up to date ATI card. good game, really gotta get it back from my friend. Dont have it installed right now to test it. C&C Renegade and Freedom Force are AAA titles in my book ^___^. Freedom force is hella hard to find for any platform for me.

Apallohadas said:
I fail to see anything in your post that makes you an authority on drivers.

If you're the one that build their computers that require reinstalling drivers 3x during a lan, then not only would you be an anti-expert, but I'd probably hide my computer from you!

But seriously, the problem is probably deeper than their drivers if they think they have to go through all that at a lan.

well, just so you know...I work at a service desk (last 3.5 years) that supports a business of about 3000 employees. We support ~800 local in the same building customers, meaning image, build, troubleshoot, and visit the customer's desk if we can't fix it on the phone. The rest of the ~ 2200 customers we support remotley. I'm a Dell certified tech as well. I'm not just some brainless computer tech wannabe.

My exp. in hosting these regular LAN parties for a decade is what I am commenting on, I don't have authority, except from years of organinzing gaming parties and seeing tons of different computer configurations. The problem isn't far deeper than their drivers --- it breaks down like this ....The group tries to play title x...the game works for Nvidia card users, but the game doesn't work for ATI card users...the ATI guys switch the driver, reboot, and it does work. Simple as that. I haven't yet got a hold of my real close bud that had the ATI card most recently so he could expand on my trouble list, but I did get a hold of one of the LAN party attenders who is more of an aquantice. He echoed my sentiment exactly and said that his ATI card at even his most recent LAN attendance caused him so many problems he has since got a Nvidia card. The guys that Attend my LAN party are probably 80% computer geeks, and 20% guys who don't know much about their system.

I'm truly not making this up - why would I?. I have nothing against ATI, and really hope to see good things from their merger with AMD....I just comment that my exp has shown me that their driver support for older, and non mainstream games is not up to par.

i fail to see the hot deal in this thread.....

and ive never had a problem with ati drivers, or had an nvidia card (at LAN parties)

theres a video card section that this would be good in.

It's hot for AGP buyers. Because of PCI-e all the AGP prices have shot back up, so this is a good buy COMPARED to average prices on say... Froogle or Pricegrabber.

Archaea said:
well, just so you know...I work at a service desk (last 3.5 years) that supports a business of about 3000 employees. We support ~800 local in the same building customers, meaning image, build, troubleshoot, and visit the customer's desk if we can't fix it on the phone. The rest of the ~ 2200 customers we support remotley. I'm a Dell certified tech as well. I'm not just some brainless computer tech wannabe.

My exp. in hosting these regular LAN parties for a decade is what I am commenting on, I don't have authority, except from years of organinzing gaming parties and seeing tons of different computer configurations. The problem isn't far deeper than their drivers --- it breaks down like this ....The group tries to play title x...the game works for Nvidia card users, but the game doesn't work for ATI card users...the ATI guys switch the driver, reboot, and it does work. Simple as that. I haven't yet got a hold of my real close bud that had the ATI card most recently so he could expand on my trouble list, but I did get a hold of one of the LAN party attenders who is more of an aquantice. He echoed my sentiment exactly and said that his ATI card at even his most recent LAN attendance caused him so many problems he has since got a Nvidia card. The guys that Attend my LAN party are probably 80% computer geeks, and 20% guys who don't know much about their system.

I'm truly not making this up - why would I?. I have nothing against ATI, and really hope to see good things from their merger with AMD....I just comment that my exp has shown me that their driver support for older, and non mainstream games is not up to par.

If it makes any difference ATI's Linux drivers are absolute shit. I have a AIW9700 Pro, Radeon 8500 & 9600 and a x700 mobility in my lappy. The AIW is completely worthless in Linux having basic 3D acceleration and not much else. Gatos gives the AIW9700 the finger so no luck there. The 8500 and 9600 will run Quake 4 but the frame rate isn't even comparable to the Windows counterpart. I finally got the x700 running last night after 2 days of fidgeting with it. I have got it running comparable to Windows, but the work to actually get it going was unbelievable. It still has a few issues occasionally (the control panel decides when it wants to work) but overall it works. Beryl is pretty responsive with it, but I couldn't even get it running before AMD took over the show.

Getting the Nvidia drivers for my 6800 Ultra is a matter of about 6 commands. The Nvidia drivers actually run Quake 4 better in Linux than in Windows (could be just the OS tho, but at least you know the drivers aren't hindering me in the slightest) and make Beryl smooth as silk. If you have any interest in Linux, do not bother with ATI. Maybe AMD will ramp it up in the future, as I have always preferred the colors ATI cards produce; but as of right now I've basically given up on ATI specifically because of their Linux support.

Oh and try getting a AIW7500 running in any OS. It is fucking impossible. I actually run that card in VGA mode on a (headless) server because it is completely worthless as anything else. Only piece of hardware I own that I basically can not use because of drivers.

Oh I also have a Radeon 7000 that runs like shit in Windows and I am not even going to bother trying with Linux. I know, I have a ton of ATI cards. The only reason I even own a Nvidia card is because it was purchased for me. I stood up for ATI for a long time because I honestly believe you get a better looking image with ATI cards (especially 2D), but I have given up on them because I think their drivers have actually gotten worse through the years. They seem to have the Creative driver plague where they support their flagship product for about 6 months and then just move on to the next thing.

for the holdouts that have a p4 3.0 hyperthread processor,
would this be a worthwhile investment to upgrade from a bfg 5950 ultra 256mb agp?

zev8910 said:
would this be a worthwhile investment to upgrade from a bfg 5950 ultra 256mb agp?

I think your CPU/RAM would be a limiting factor here. I have a P4 3.2 Northy, 2GB Geil and a 6800 Ultra. When I bought my X850 XTPE and ran it on this same machine I didn't see a ton of difference. I couldn't justify $400 for such a small performance gain so I sold it, kept the 6800 Ultra and am saving up for a new board/ram/cpu/video card. I guess it sort of depends on where you are heading. If you plan on upgrading to a new platform in the near future, do you really want to spend $200 on a video card you are going to dump in 3 months? On the other hand this is a pretty [H] deal for a decent AGP card.

total said:
I think your CPU/RAM would be a limiting factor here. I have a P4 3.2 Northy, 2GB Geil and a 6800 Ultra. When I bought my X850 XTPE and ran it on this same machine I didn't see a ton of difference. I couldn't justify $400 for such a small performance gain so I sold it, kept the 6800 Ultra and am saving up for a new board/ram/cpu/video card. I guess it sort of depends on where you are heading. If you plan on upgrading to a new platform in the near future, do you really want to spend $200 on a video card you are going to dump in 3 months? On the other hand this is a pretty [H] deal for a decent AGP card.

I would disagree with you here.

I've got a p4 3.2 northy too on an abit IS7 motherboard with a 6800GT and only 1GB of ram.

I don't need the super high resolutions as I'm comfortable playing games at 1024x768 @ 100HZ on my 19" CRT.

I've not yet found a game that I can't run at nearly full options with my computer. Titan Quest is the only thing that I have to run at medium high settings.

Now here's the thing --- I don't care about more than 2x AA or 4x AF....I don't think it matters (personal opinion) I also don't care about resolution so much. I prefer having everything on the highest settings within the game even if it means losing a bit of resolution or AA and AF settings.

My wife has an AMD 64 3200 with a 7300GS (256MB) and 1 GB of RAM. We both enjoy titan quest and play together a lot.

Her processor is about the same as mine- in the speed dept, but her game can only run at 640x480 and low settings to be playable. It's all about the graphics card. In the summer I was having some heat problems because we weren't able to run AC for a while and it was like 95* in the computer room. In order to prevent locking up on my machine I underclocked the processor to 1.6Ghz, the lowest it would go. My titan quest game barely gave up any frame-rates, I could still play at my normal res, but just had to drop the options to medium. My setup with the 6800GT and a 1.6Ghz processor still ran better with higher settings and resolution than my wife's 3.2GHZ and PCI-E 7300GS on much lower resolution and lower graphics settings.

It's all about the video card these days for gaming. Your 3.2 northy and 2GB of RAM are plenty capable. Is it the fastest? No? But it's plenty capable. I would suggest you go ahead and buy this card. It should buy at least another good solid year + out of your current setup, whereas your 5950 is really old and probably worse than my wife's 7300GS in newer games. I upgraded from a 5800ultra to a 6800GT and it was complete night and day difference. The 5950 is faster than my 5800ultra by a good margin with higher resolutions, but at 800x600 minus the AA and AF settigns my 5800ultra was just as fast as the 5950, and when I had that card that's the res I was forced to play if I wanted all the options on. Going to my 6800GT (about a year ago or so) was a tremendous differece, and I'm not even ready to upgrade yet. To the normal world a 3.0Ghz Pentium is still plenty fast, and the "recommended" settings on nearly all games don't even yet state your 3.2 and 2gb of ram -----

Buy the card...You'll be plenty happy,

The only reason not to is because you like bragging about your uber elite setup that costs more than most people's first car, or you must play 2xxx x 1xxxx resolutions on your 24" LCD. :rolleyes:

There's more important stuff to spend money on.

There is a caveat to the above post.

I've been playing with Vista RC-1.

It runs like crap on my setup. I don't know if it's because it's beta or unoptimized or what.

My system scores a 4.4 on the index score which isn't bad at all, but everything is sluggish and with 1GB of ram the HD is thrashing constantly.

Getting out of games in XP is instant. Boom your back to the desktop and ready to go, Getting out of games in Vista is like a 30 second thrash fest where your computer is unusable for this period of time.

I've not tested Vista with 2gb of ram...that may be all it needs, but I just wanted to caution you that if you plan to upgrade to vista anytime soon you may consider upgrading your whole PC setup....

That being said - I'm sticking with XP and your and my current processor/ram setup is completely agreeable to games and OS requirements for a long time to come with XP.

Archaea said:
I don't need the super high resolutions as I'm comfortable playing games at 1024x768 @ 100HZ on my 19" CRT.

I bought a 24' used Sony Trinitron CRT for $100 (you are in [H]otdeals). I run at 1600x1200@85 2-4AA and 4-8AF on most games. It has nothing to do with bragging rights. If you think AA and AF don't matter then that is an opinion that is misguided, especially if you are running @ 1024 or 800. The low res is EXACTLY where you want to kick in the AA and AF.

Go play FEAR and tell me that your CPU does not matter. Your video card is not doing the math for the physics (yet at least). Turn on 3D sound on any of the newer games, unless you have the brand newest Creative card your CPU is doing the math. I guess the whole dual core thing that the entire industry is floating towards is some marketing scheme?

Archaea said:
There is a caveat to the above post.

I've been playing with Vista RC-1.

And there ya go. Vista is where the gaming industry is going. DX10 is where we are going to be in a year. Buying a new AGP card even at $200 a pop is a bad investment now. Especially if you consider the fact that you can get the same exact card in PCI-E for at least $50 less. If you are a gamer you are going to have to dump that board/cpu/ram within the next year or so just to run the fucking OS at a reasonable speed.

BTW, I am running the Vista final build and score a 4.4 too.

Would this be a worthwile upgrade from my oc'd 6800gt? Or should I just wait untill I build my new PC?

schnell said:
Would this be a worthwile upgrade from my oc'd 6800gt? Or should I just wait untill I build my new PC?

I would go with a definite no.

Archaea said:
To the normal world a 3.0Ghz Pentium is still plenty fast, and the "recommended" settings on nearly all games don't even yet state your 3.2 and 2gb of ram

Right off the F.E.A.R. website:

Recommended Specifications:

•Pentium(R) 4 3.0 GHz or equivalent processor
•1 GB RAM
•256 MB Radeon(R) 9800 Pro, GeForce(TM) 6600 or equivalent DirectX(R) 9
compliant video card with hardware T&L and pixel shader 2.0 support
•Sound Blaster(R) X-Fi(TM) series sound card

That is running at 800x600 mind you.

total said:
Right off the F.E.A.R. website:

Recommended Specifications:

•Pentium(R) 4 3.0 GHz or equivalent processor
•1 GB RAM
•256 MB Radeon(R) 9800 Pro, GeForce(TM) 6600 or equivalent DirectX(R) 9
compliant video card with hardware T&L and pixel shader 2.0 support
•Sound Blaster(R) X-Fi(TM) series sound card

That is running at 800x600 mind you.

and a 3.2 Ghz P4 with 2GB of RAM bests those requirements - certaintly with a 7600GT.

Fear runs fine on my 3.2 ghz system with 1gb of ram and a 6800GT at 1024x768 with all options on high.

To the above poster asking if the 7600GT is a worthwhile upgrade over the 6800GT. The answer is no. Go to Tom's hardware and you can view the specs on these two. The 7600GT is the equivalent for the 7 series cards that the 6600GT was for the 6 series cards. The performance between a 7600GT and a 6800GT is very minimal. The 7600GT has the edge with all options turned on and in running higher levels of AF and AA. but the 6800GT is a smidgeon faster with lower resolutions and lesser levels of AF and AA

Archaea said:
and a 3.2 Ghz P4 with 2GB of RAM bests those requirements - certaintly with a 7600GT.

Fear runs fine on my 3.2 ghz system with 1gb of ram and a 6800GT at 1024x768 with all options on high.

To the above poster asking if the 7600GT is a worthwhile upgrade over the 6800GT. The answer is no. Go to Tom's hardware and you can view the specs on these two. The 7600GT is the equivalent for the 7 series cards that the 6600GT was for the 6 series cards. The performance between a 7600GT and a 6800GT is very minimal. The 7600GT has the edge with all options turned on and in running higher levels of AF and AA. but the 6800GT is a smidgeon faster with lower resolutions and lesser levels of AF and AA

And again that is at low res with no AA and no AF I'm sure. Low resolutions don't stress the video cards, they stress the cpu more (that is why you turn on AA and AF, make the image look better while putting the math back on the GPU). Clock that CPU down to about 2.4 or so and try to tell me you don't see a difference. And with the prices of CRTs I simply can not understand why you are running at 1024. If you are gaming on a monitor that can't handle anything above 1024 decently then you are definitely investing in the wrong thing. And I feel this needs repeating: THIS IS NOT A BAD DEAL. It is just all dependent on the situation and where you plan on heading in the future, and that is exactly what a deal is about. Finding something cheaper one place rather than the next, doesn't make it a deal. Having it apply to your situation well is what makes a deal a deal, especially in the IT world.

zev8910 said:

No, wait a few days and find the Powercolor X1950 pro for $209 there was a review for a few days ago. even with a little more money the x1950 would be far better than the one at the begining of this thread.

total said:
And again that is at low res with no AA and no AF I'm sure. Low resolutions don't stress the video cards, they stress the cpu more (that is why you turn on AA and AF, make the image look better while putting the math back on the GPU). Clock that CPU down to about 2.4 or so and try to tell me you don't see a difference. And with the prices of CRTs I simply can not understand why you are running at 1024. If you are gaming on a monitor that can't handle anything above 1024 decently then you are definitely investing in the wrong thing. And I feel this needs repeating: THIS IS NOT A BAD DEAL. It is just all dependent on the situation and where you plan on heading in the future, and that is exactly what a deal is about. Finding something cheaper one place rather than the next, doesn't make it a deal. Having it apply to your situation well is what makes a deal a deal, especially in the IT world.

Lower refresh rates bother my eyes/give me headaches. My 19" hitachi CRT (.22mm grill app.) allows for 100hz refresh rate at 1024x768, and 1152x864 also goes up to 100hz....Since I work on a service desk and am looking at a computer screen all day I really need to keep that refresh rate bumped high to avoid eye strain/headaches. I use both of those above two resolutions for gaming. I can't see how higher resolution helps - it only hinders gaming performance with very minimal increase in quality. 1152x864 with 2x AA and 4x AF looks great and there are no shortcoming with quality.

Yes, LCD's are nice...I'd like to get one, but they don't warrant the expense yet at this point in my mind. I have a nice Dell 19" DVI widescreen LCD at work ---looks nice at native resolution, but my CRT is just fine for my purposes.

Archaea said:
Lower refresh rates bother my eyes/give me headaches. My 19" hitachi CRT (.22mm grill app.) allows for 100hz refresh rate at 1024x768, and 1152x864 also goes up to 100hz....Since I work on a service desk and am looking at a computer screen all day I really need to keep that refresh rate bumped high to avoid eye strain/headaches. I use both of those above two resolutions for gaming. I can't see how higher resolution helps - it only hinders gaming performance with very minimal increase in quality. 1152x864 with 2x AA and 4x AF looks great and there are no shortcoming with quality.

Yes, LCD's are nice...I'd like to get one, but they don't warrant the expense yet at this point in my mind. I have a nice Dell 19" DVI widescreen LCD at work ---looks nice at native resolution, but my CRT is just fine for my purposes.

If you can't understand how higher resolution helps then I am not going to get anywhere in this conversation. I don't know what LCDs have to do with anything as I prefer the warmer feel of a CRT any day. If 1024 is fine by you then by all means stick with it. Call me when your HDTV blows your mind.

Back