For those that think Firefox is doing so well

Status
Not open for further replies.
SirKenin said:
You wouldn't know. You don't use IE, so you don't realize how it's supposed to be viewed until you compare. I've done quite a few comparisons personally.
I really don't care much if the website I see is exactly as the designer intended it to be. I've only come across a few sites that absolutely required IE, but they were just stupid little sites that didn't really matter. All my critical stuff(banking, school sites, email, etc.) all work fine in firefox. My school's big student portal site used to redirect to a warning page whenever visited using firefox, but I emailed an admin and he had it fixed within a couple hours. If a site doesn't work right in firefox then I blame it on the site's designer. It isn't the browser's fault that the site is designed poorly.

I don't pick a browser based on market share, I pick based on features and security.
If having a lower market share causes hackers to overlook FireFox, then that's just another reason for me to keep using it.

jpmkm said:
If a site doesn't work right in firefox then I blame it on the site's designer. It isn't the browser's fault that the site is designed poorly.

There it is right there.

Most of the sites I've been to that had problems with Firefox were due to shotty setup, not due to any problems Firefox had.

IE I keep around just for Windows updates, and the occassional YTMND.com site, which is the only one I've been to that didn't work w/ FireFox...which seems to have somethign to do with Quicktime not supporting FF, but just IE. I don't blame FF for that...I blame apple.

I haven't ever seen a page that loaded improperly with firefox, though I have seen some where I got a 'your browser is not supported' message. I'm sure the page would have loaded fine if the asshat site designer hadn't put in some check to only allow in IE.

I use Firefox for two big reasons -
1. The pop-up blocking is the best out there, better than any IE plug-in I have seen
2. CTRL-+ to increase the font size on a page. I use a 1600x1200 screen at home, and sitting the distance I do from my computer screen, text in IE is just impossible to read.

If IE had those two features, I would probably use it, but until then, Firefox makes me happy.

It's sort of like saying you wouldn't have a Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini because not enough other people have one. They are damned oddball cars. :rolleyes:

Hell yeah! I want the new Microsoft Neon! Everybody's got it. It rocks! :D

SirKenin said:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/08/12/HNfirefoxloses_1.html

Looks like Firefox isn't even a force to be bothered with, never mind reckoning with. It also explains the lack of Firefox exploits (although there have been quite a few really nasty ones). What hacker in his right mind is going to attack 8% of the market when he can inflict pain on 87%? Well, the answer is painfully obvious.

So you find one article that claims Firefox's market share has declined to "8.07%", and therefore it is true and Fire Fox is dying or what. I can find statistics that show Firefox has around 18.8% with IE at less than 75%, but does that mean it represents users a a whole? No.

And the BS of "it has less market share so it doesn't get attacked" is plain stupid and irrational.

tdg said:
And the BS of "it has less market share so it doesn't get attacked" is plain stupid and irrational.
No, actually, it isn't. That makes perfect sense. If your goal is to infect the highest number of machines, which market share will you target ( all other things equal )?

Now, as FF gains more and more market share, we will see more exploits released for it. However, the damage potential is far less than IE due simply because it's running as the user ( who should be running as a limited user, most cases ). So the attacker will not only have to find an exploit in ff, but they will also need an exploit on the local system that would allow them to elevate their privledges.

All in all, the damage potential in FF can't be as great as IE. There's no way. How that plays out in reality could be an entirely different ballgame, but I have confidence in the mozilla people.

Rombus said:
You know, i dont use any browser because its popular, All this marketshare junk means NOTHING to me. Why? because untill i find something better, im using FireFox.

Here are some facts from me you can chew on:
1. For over a year, i have not had to deal with spyware on my computers
2. for over a year, i have not had a need to use IE, in my normal use i have no sites that use activeX
3. For over a year, i have yet to find a website that i couldnet view normally if not better than Firefox.

So simply, untill i find something better, FireFox is my browser.
I dont think I could say it any better..so Im not gonna try.
Those 3 examples fit me perfectly.....Thanks Rombus, saved me some typing :)

NulloModo said:
I use Firefox for two big reasons -
1. The pop-up blocking is the best out there, better than any IE plug-in I have seen
2. CTRL-+ to increase the font size on a page. I use a 1600x1200 screen at home, and sitting the distance I do from my computer screen, text in IE is just impossible to read.

If IE had those two features, I would probably use it, but until then, Firefox makes me happy.

For the font sizes, you could just hold down ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel down - also works in FF.

Pop Up blocking I find pretty much the same in both - Firefox is victom to those special popups now from Flash and Javascript that the blocker doesn't block, but with some extensions and such (and disabling javascript for pesky sites) it works great.

Personally, I don't really see the point of the OP - it's used by less people, while IE is used by way more. Does that really mean anything? No, unless you're all bent on statistics (and 76% of all statistics are wrong anyway :p ). People will use what they want to use? Why? Because people have things called preferences. That's why Firefox and Opera exist in the first place, because people didn't like stuff about IE and wanted a browser that had features they wanted.

I also think 8 - 15% market share (or whatever the hell it is, who cares) is pretty damn good for a browser that's just a year old (release version that is, I've been using it way before last year).

Can I expect a "For those who think Opera is doing so well" thread too?

tdg said:
So you find one article that claims Firefox's market share has declined to "8.07%", and therefore it is true and Fire Fox is dying or what. I can find statistics that show Firefox has around 18.8% with IE at less than 75%, but does that mean it represents users a a whole? No.
I'll look forward to you presenting your accurate figures from unbiased websites, such as the one I presented. Don't forget the corroborating evidence.

And yes... 8% represents users as a whole. D'UH.

BillLeeLee said:
Personally, I don't really see the point of the OP
Me either. Most people already knew that IE has a far greater market share than FF.
It's like making a "For those that think AMD is doing so well" and pointing to Intel's market share.

If you look at SirKenin's profile, it seems he likes to make pointless threads just to stir up trouble.

SirKenin said:
I'll look forward to you presenting your accurate figures from unbiased websites, such as the one I presented. Don't forget the corroborating evidence.

And yes... 8% represents users as a whole. D'UH.

The original article is the same one published on Ars, ZDNet, ComputerWorld, and a whole slew of others. The data for the claim comes from sites that use NetApplication's monitoring software, of which there are around 40K sites that do. So what's the statistical margin of error? +/- 1%? 0.64% of a shift is probably negligible anyway, and you need long term analysis to even come up with any kind of observable trend. 1 month is nothing.

BillLeeLee said:
The original article is the same one published on Ars, ZDNet, ComputerWorld, and a whole slew of others. The data for the claim comes from sites that use NetApplication's monitoring software, of which there are around 40K sites that do. So what's the statistical margin of error? +/- 1%? 0.64% of a shift is probably negligible anyway.
Agreed. It's probably caused by people downloading the IE7 Beta if anything.

I'm going to have to try IE7. For me, IE is my browser. I have no real use for tabs, but IE's speed is faster (loading speed). Normal surfing speed with IE and Firefox is equal for me.

I could give another reason I prefer IE but I won't as I know it will anger a lot of the open source fanatics.

BillLeeLee said:
The original article is the same one published on Ars, ZDNet, ComputerWorld, and a whole slew of others. The data for the claim comes from sites that use NetApplication's monitoring software, of which there are around 40K sites that do. So what's the statistical margin of error? +/- 1%? 0.64% of a shift is probably negligible anyway, and you need long term analysis to even come up with any kind of observable trend. 1 month is nothing.
The decrease in market share really wasn't my point actually. ;)

BillLeeLee said:
Can I expect a "For those who think Opera is doing so well" thread too?
Nah, I don't care about Opera, although it sucks too. Those banners do nothing for me. I'd almost rather they cripple websites like Firefox does.

EnderW said:
If you look at SirKenin's profile, it seems he likes to make pointless threads just to stir up trouble.
Ohhhh. Is that your best effort? I don't support your view for a webbrowser that is only somewhat secure (there have been more than their fair share of exploits) because it doesn't make for a worthwhile target so you slam my postings as flamebait.

Nice going ace. :rolleyes: *L*

SirKenin said:
Ohhhh. Is that your best effort? I don't support your view for a webbrowser that is only somewhat secure (there have been more than their fair share of exploits) because it doesn't make for a worthwhile target so you slam my postings as flamebait.

I've noticed it too. And once again, you aren't making any sense. You say you don't like firefox because hackers don't target it. That doesn't make any sense. I have no problem with someone not liking firefox, but I really don't see how you can justify your reasoning. And I'd like you to qualify your claim that firefox has had more than its fair share of exploits. I'd wager that it hasn't had its fair share. It has had some, but certainly not more than its fair share.

So, to sum it up, the fact that you continually post completely illogical reasons and arguments is the reason we consider your posts to be flamebait.

SirKenin said:
Nah, I don't care about Opera, although it sucks too. Those banners do nothing for me. I'd almost rather they cripple websites like Firefox does.
Now you can't honestly tell me that this isn't flamebait. To start with, you say opera sucks without providing any reasons whatsoever. The banners are only present in the free version; the pay version doesn't have the banners. Now, aside from the banners, why does opera suck?

Now, tell me how firefox cripples websites. And no more flamebait. It is childish and it does not help your case.

jpmkm said:
I've noticed it too. And once again, you aren't making any sense. You say you don't like firefox because hackers don't target it. That doesn't make any sense. I have no problem with someone not liking firefox, but I really don't see how you can justify your reasoning. And I'd like you to qualify your claim that firefox has had more than its fair share of exploits. I'd wager that it hasn't had its fair share. It has had some, but certainly not more than its fair share.

So, to sum it up, the fact that you continually post completely illogical reasons and arguments is the reason we consider your posts to be flamebait.
No, I don't like firefox because it can't display a good chunk of the internet the way it was meant to be displayed.

The fact that hackers don't bother targetting it because it isn't even a force to be reckoned with is a separate point altogether. Small minds just can't separate the two.

jpmkm said:
Now you can't honestly tell me that this isn't flamebait. To start with, you say opera sucks without providing any reasons whatsoever. The banners are only present in the free version; the pay version doesn't have the banners. Now, aside from the banners, why does opera suck?

Now, tell me how firefox cripples websites. And no more flamebait. It is childish and it does not help your case.
Who wants to pay for a webbrowser when they can get several of them for free? That doesn't make any sense. You talk about me not making any sense.

Firefox cannot display numerous websites correctly for all sorts of reasons, from screwed up code (I can cite BBS') to messing up the layout of the page, to the colors, to the lack of ability to display multimedia content because it is crippled "in the interests of safety". That's just as stupid as taking away your freedoms in the interest of freedom, much like the USA is doing right now with their "Homeland Security" project.

Using firefox is like going through life with a patch on your eye. In the interest of security. Stupidity is more like it.

I'm done. This is the most pointless thread I've ever seen and I'm tired of feeding trolls.

jpmkm said:
I'm done. This is the most pointless thread I've ever seen and I'm tired of feeding trolls.
I agree. IE speaks volumes about its users, doesn't it? You don't have to work on that many machines to know that.

SirKenin said:

Actually, I kind of like Opera. It has the font size changey thing that Firefox does, and anymore, that is my #1 concern in a browser. The tab thing was annoying at first, but now that I am used to it, I really like it, and it does save in task bar space, which I am usually seriously lacking.

I downloaded the free Opera version when Firefox/Mozilla started randomly crashing my computer for no good reason. Thankfully, the latest version of Firefox seems to have mostly stopped that.

Still though, Microsoft needs to take some considerations for those of us with less than 20/20 vision who don't want to run their system on some dumbass low resolution.

SirKenin said:
No, I don't like firefox because it can't display a good chunk of the internet the way it was meant to be displayed.

It has already been mentioned, but I will state it again since you did not see the previous post about it. Firefox does display the websites correctly. It follows the HTML standards on displaying webpages. It is not Firefox's fault that the person designing the webpage cannot use HTML standards or check their page with something other than IE. I find both of those things extremely sad. Too lazy to properly write a webpage and after that too lazy to check to make sure it actually works on more than one browser. Considering they are supposed to be designing a webpage for anyone to see, why can't they actually make sure they go to the proper lengths to make sure everyone can see it. Avoiding standards that are there for a reason and not bother to bugcheck properly is their fault.

SirKenin said:

My best effort? I wasn't attempting to flame you, just making an observation.
Once again, the question is, what was the purpose of this thread?
Everyone knows IE has a much larger market share. Most know FireFox doesn't work with all pages, and that there are fewer security issues with it due partly to the design and partly to the fact most hackers target IE.

EnderW said:
Once again, the question is, what was the purpose of this thread?
I point it out earlier, it's a troll attempt.

And not a very good one, I'm surprised he managed to snare as many as he did.

Somebody who loves a piece of free software enough to troll about it on internet forums and condescend towards people who disagree makes the 14-year-olds who bicker and squabble about video card brand preference seem like comparative Gods of Intellect.

Damn someone needs to step outside and enjoy the summer sunshine. Seriously, I've used Firefox for a few years and it hasn't given me much problems. Its got EXTENSIONS and Skins/Themes and a bunch of stuff that IE just hasn't come up with in the past. I do know that others have had issues using Firefox, but I think people that can't handle an awesome program like Firefox is just plain stupid. You hear that??? You're stupid!!! A HURR Hutt hutt hurrrrr

And I don't give two fucking shits if the "market share has dropped for Firefox". When I saw that crap on google news, I didn't give a shit!!! Infact I'd like to see it drop so people don't go after finding exploits in Firefox and leave all the hell to IE users.

finalgt said:
Somebody who loves a piece of free software enough to troll about it on internet forums and condescend towards people who disagree makes the 14-year-olds who bicker and squabble about video card brand preference seem like comparative Gods of Intellect.
That's nothing compared to people who don't actually read the original post of the thread.

SirKenin said:
Firefox cannot display numerous websites correctly for all sorts of reasons, from screwed up code (I can cite BBS') to messing up the layout of the page, to the colors, to the lack of ability to display multimedia content because it is crippled "in the interests of safety". That's just as stupid as taking away your freedoms in the interest of freedom, much like the USA is doing right now with their "Homeland Security" project.

Using firefox is like going through life with a patch on your eye. In the interest of security. Stupidity is more like it.

id like examples of some sites that dont display properly in FF

kthnxbi

I didnt read much of this thread... but... I will say that Ive been using Opera for over a year. Ide have to say it is the best browser, by far. Very few sites dont work, it has tons of built in features (some of which are just bloat, I will admit), and its been 100% stable for me. The mail client, transfer manager, "sidebar", mouse gestures... this browser is awesome.

Also, I will admit something else, I have been using Opera ad-free for this entire time. I originally downloaded a cdkey just to see if I enjoyed it enough to pay for it. It is worth the money though, if you see doing that as "morally wrong" or whatever.

SirKenin said:
That's just as stupid as taking away your freedoms in the interest of freedom, much like the USA is doing right now with their "Homeland Security" project.

lol

The dumb are always good for a laugh.
Thanks I needed that. After 5 hours on Minnetonka and getting sunburned, I needed to laugh at something really dumb.

Thanks.

:)

Most users feel IE is fine and that is correct.

Sure Firefox is more secure but IE works with 100% of pages and then Firefox only works with 95%.

I just cleaned a computer a few days ago and I told the lady to use Firefox but to fall back on IE if something does not work in Firefox. First website she goes to is moviephone. Yep, it needed IE. What luck.

Staples said:
Most users feel IE is fine and that is correct.

Sure Firefox is more secure but IE works with 100% of pages and then Firefox only works with 95%.

I just cleaned a computer a few days ago and I told the lady to use Firefox but to fall back on IE if something does not work in Firefox. First website she goes to is moviephone. Yep, it needed IE. What luck.

Is this the site she went to .....

http://movies.aol.com/?ncid=AOLMOV00170000000007&sem=1

if so works perfectly in FF.

EDIT**

Called my cousin, because he runs FF 1.0.5...he looked at that site and the drop down boxes wouldnt work for him(under Showtimes and such). I have 1.0.6 and it works great.

Those drop down boxes on moviefone are Javascript. If you have Javascript disabled, they won't display (running Deer Park 2 myself).

BillLeeLee said:
Those drop down boxes on moviefone are Javascript. If you have Javascript disabled, they won't display (running Deer Park 2 myself).

Yeah i know, im still on the phone with him. If he refreshes it works,refresh again and it doesnt..lol. I told him to uninstall 1.0.5 and grab 1.0.6. Somethings wrong with his install id say. So Deer Parks been good for you so far? Been meaning to try it.

Yeah, 1.0.5 had some minor bugs, which is why 1.0.6 came out so fast.

DP Alpha 2 has been pretty good - DPA1 crashed a lot on me, but 2 has been stable enough to run as my main browser now. Extensions have also been updated lately to run in DP.

Oh, and the memory leak has been fixed. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back