For FPS games do you play normal or inverted?

For FPS games what is your preferred control style?

• Normal

Votes: 86 72.3%
  • Inverted

Votes: 33 27.7%

• Total voters

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Just curious. I have only personally known a few that played inverted.

I used to play Inverted a bit in Quake I but haven't since due to being conformed to Normal mode.

Only ever played inverted a long time ago in games like descent and Tribes. Mor mech-like and flying games I guess.

Normal.

Although I have an odd thing with "flying" games (or situations in games). If I use a keyboard or joystick I use inverted. If I use the mouse however it's odd in that sometimes it feels more natural to use normal and others inverted. Battlefield is the probably the game this situations comes up the most in. I think it might have to do with it feeling more natural to aim/track targets with normal but more natural to do the actual flying inverted. Or partially it might have been because I played Freelancer for a long period of time which was a really "fps" oriented flight game.

Normal. As others have said, a few games feel more natural using inverted, however.

I've always played normal, but some of the best console shooter players I know play inverted.
I don't think one is better than the other, though. Apparently it has to do with how your brain interprets what's going on.

For me, it goes like this:

First-person = kb/m = normal
Third-person = controller = inverted

I don't play first-person games on consoles. If a third-person game (either on PC or console) doesn't have an option to invert both axes, then I simply won't play it

Maybe it's my flight training, but I've always played games with my mouse inverted. Just feels natural to me.

I play inverted on controller and mouse. Been using inverted for nearly 20 years, I can't play at all without it. I played the beta of archeage, it didn't have inverted camera, tried to play it without it and I went about 10 minutes said "fuck this" and stopped playing.

Inverted all the time. Normal feels so weird to me. Maybe it's because I grew up playing flight sims. Most other people I have known also use inverted.

I always liked the picture of attaching a joystick on the back of a person's head. In this case, pulling down would make the head move up and vice versa. In the sense of human head movement, inverted makes more sense logically.

Normal with both mouse/controller. However if i'm flying a ship/plane with a controller inverted feels more natural.

i play normal for just about everything, mouse/Kb and controller. Inverted just feels unnatural to me

I play flight sims as well, so inverted is just like a plane. Push forward, nose goes down. Pull back, nose goes up.
That's the only time I actually use inverted. It just feels natural. My brain stops functioning :)confused:) when I try inverted for anything else other than piloting aircraft.

I used to play normal with a mouse and inverted if I had to use thumbsticks. I got tired of constantly having to go into settings on consoles and change settings so I spent the entire game of Fallout: New Vegas on an xbox controller playing normal and finally got used to it.

It's weird though since I refuse to use WASD on a keyboard and everytime I get a new PC game I have to go into settings and re-bind every key. I started using ESDF plaing UT2k4 and can't imagine ever going back.

When I was a kid and I was getting my feet wet on first person games with kb+m controls I played a LOT of Descent and Tie Fighter. From those games the inverted controls stuck on me for years afterwards to ordinary FPS games too, to Quake 2 and original Rainbow Six days but oddly at some point I simply stopped using it. I dont know why, probably i just started to think the crosshair as a mousecursor i am moving around or something but inverted controls just dissappeared from my gaming habits and did so quite suddenly.

I still use inverted on flying games though.

I have to use inverted when using a controller. I used to play a lot of flying games back in the day, F/A-18 on the Amiga, Comanche on the PC, and I am just used to pulling back to look up.
mouse and kb I use normal mode.

I play normal settings wise, but hang physically inverted as it's good for the back.

Jk. Normal.

Inverted... I think Goldeneye 007 defaulted to inverted controls and I haven't looked back since lol all my friends hate when we are switching off on COD or BF and have to constantly change settings

Normal on mouse/KB, inverted on a controller.

Same here.

Inverted... I think Goldeneye 007 defaulted to inverted controls and I haven't looked back since lol all my friends hate when we are switching off on COD or BF and have to constantly change settings

Yeah, pretty sure that's where I picked it up from as well. Same with Perfect Dark. People always think I'm weird for switching the controls when I'm playing with them. :eek:

Like a few have said, I play normal with a kb/m, but inverted on a controller. Probably in part due to the fact that when I first got into gaming as a kid, I got a Microsoft Sidewinder flightstick and got really into all the Jane's games and Flight Simulator .

Exactly. Pull back = head leaning back. Feels natural on a controller.

Depends on how you think about it really. You can think about it as pulling back on the head from the top, or pushing it forward and up from underneath. It's about which side you're controlling the axis from in your mind. For me, I think it's because my mousing hand is below my head, so I think about it more from that perspective. I can't play 1st person shooters inverted at all. Really messes with my brain, but flight games (especially using sticks) it makes sense to me to pull back to look up.

With 3rd person, it's a tossup. I've preferred some inverted and others non for whatever reason.

I played inverted in the beginning, but somehow converted to normal along the way. I think Descent and Forsaken had something to do with that.

Um... inverted is normal. Moving the mouse up, and the cursor going up is just silly.

I think it's mostly old school gamers who play inverted.

Inverted. Old school gamer here. I think it all started with Battlezone, but I'm not sure. It stuck :)

Um... inverted is normal. Moving the mouse up, and the cursor going up is just silly.

I think it's mostly old school gamers who play inverted.

So your cursor moves down in windows when you move the mouse forward? It's not about how long have you been playing. I played long before mouse look was even a thing, and I don't play inverted regardless.

So your cursor moves down in windows when you move the mouse forward? It's not about how long have you been playing. I played long before mouse look was even a thing, and I don't play inverted regardless.

For me it was because a game that I happened to like very much had the mouse inverted as default. This was at a young age and a 3D game. I became familiar with that.

For me it was because a game that I happened to like very much had the mouse inverted as default. This was at a young age and a 3D game. I became familiar with that.

First I started playing with look up/down assigned to the numpad. I think it was Terminator : Future Shock.

Then I went to mouse with Q1, and inverted, but after some time I stopped ticking the inverted option in menus. Not exactly sure why.

Back