Flushing Liquid Mercury Down The Toilet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Watching someone try to flush hundreds of pounds of mercury down a toilet is one of those strange kind of things that you just can't look away from. How do people come up with these ideas anyway?

Well the guy got over 600k subscribers by showing how he could refine precious metals out of everyday things, only so long you can go with that so guess he's running out of ideas to do.

I would be way too afraid to be around all that mercury. It doesn't take much in your blood stream to screw yourself over.

It really isn't as deadly and dangerous as people have started to fear about it. No it isn't a toy but you won't need a to go to ER if you touch it.

It really isn't as deadly and dangerous as people have started to fear about it. No it isn't a toy but you won't need a to go to ER if you touch it.
I guess so, though at the 12:00 mark, he says "See me next time when I go to the hospital, get a blood test, and see how much mercury is in my system."

Not to mention when he was using pure mercury to flush the toilet, he probably inhaled some vapors from the mercury. That's why mercury should be stored under water.
The question I had while watching was, why does this guy have so many canisters of mercury?

If you watch the rest of his videos he does all kinds of crazy stuff with chemicals. Interesting stuff to watch. And to those safety nazis: as a kid I too played with mercury in class, the teacher poured it into our hands and we passed it around. it isn't that dangerous. Vapors? sure that stuff is bad.. but not likely to get much of that from room temp mercury.

If you watch the rest of his videos he does all kinds of crazy stuff with chemicals. Interesting stuff to watch. And to those safety nazis: as a kid I too played with mercury in class, the teacher poured it into our hands and we passed it around. it isn't that dangerous. Vapors? sure that stuff is bad.. but not likely to get much of that from room temp mercury.
DDT so safe you can eat it
DDT Spraying on children

The pure stuff is mostly harmless if the exposure time is short and it isn't ingested. I am old enough that our grade school science teacher let us play with it on our desks with our hands. We all survived the experience.

Toilets are gross even if they've never been used to dispose of excrement. Mental hangup on my part I'm sure. But this was pretty pointless and gross imo.

this is just too stupid for me to watch, pure contamination stupidity.

What contamination? It was setup on a stand, flushed into a bucket, with the entire contraption in a large industrial plastic tub.

That's pretty cool. Mercury has always been a cool metal to watch, they should really make a kids toy out of it.

;)

I almost fell out of my chair at this: "I thought this might happen, so I brought along a chunk of tungsten..."
Yeah... my chunk of tungsten is in the drawer. You know... just in case...

I don't think it is healthy to put your bare hands into mercury. Why not wear gloves? So simple.
I think/hope he is safe from vapors as he is outdoors. Or maybe he is doing this because he is going mad as a hatter?

Indeed. Only skin irritation can occur in the localized area when touching it. Toxicity only happens when inhaling it as a vapor.

Uhm...

Is this even legal? Disposing of hazardous materials in the sewer system?

That shitneeds to be taken to hazardous waste collection, and you need to pay to dispose of it. Can't just flush it down the drain.

That is awful.

SO, just in case the Silver Surfer shows up and asked to use your bathroom; you will know what to say.

Elemental mercury isn't nearly as toxic as some people think it is. Sure, long term exposure can cause significant damage (read up on the "Mad Hatters" who used elemental mercury as a tanning agent, linked on mufcfman's post), and the vapors can be quite toxic, but being exposed to pure mercury is not nearly the same thing as being exposed to dimethyl mercury (one drop on the skin will quickly give you a horrible case of severe mercury poisoning and kill you).

I have no idea why I watched that. 2 minutes in and I was thinking "13 minutes, good luck bub". Sure enough...

Watch the video. He's doing it outside with the toilet draining into a bucket.

It could still be illegal in some places
Lord knows some places seem to not like fun
3e3.jpg

Uhm...

Is this even legal? Disposing of hazardous materials in the sewer system?

That shitneeds to be taken to hazardous waste collection, and you need to pay to dispose of it. Can't just flush it down the drain.

That is awful.

you didn't watch the video did you? but then again you also didn't read the thread where it was explained how he actually tested it.

Crazy how the mercury stuck to the gold.

yeah that surprised me.. also surprised me how much gold it took with it when it was cleaned off.

Watch the video. He's doing it outside with the toilet draining into a bucket.

It's only awful when you post without watching the video!

you didn't watch the video did you?

Nope. I don't watch videos at work. Everyone sits in an open office environment. Only place to do so would be if I went to my car with my phone.

Every now and then I make an assumption (like the toilet is actually attached to the sewage lines, which really isn't a crazy assumption in most cases). I don't feel badly about it.

What contamination? It was setup on a stand, flushed into a bucket, with the entire contraption in a large industrial plastic tub.

Oh! my bad, I really thought they were flushing it all through the city sewers.

Back