Flashlight mod + extras

Yea, pretty much. Right now the code makes act like it's made completely out of rubber which just isn't right. I'll take a look at and post what that other mod did when I get back home from work.

Tsumari said:
Here is a fast weapon switch mod that doesn't change (most) other weapon attributes. The only thing i changed was the shotgun reloads one shell instead of two per animation.

Pistol is toggleable i.e. hitting pistol twice will go back to whatever you were using before.

Fast Switch Only

Fast Switch + Balance Changes (Updating later today)

Same as last link, but with tracer flash when bullet weapons hit targets

Tsumari

well when i add this mod , I loose the flashlight attached to the guns

anyone ever noticed that if you have the shotgun out for too long, the flashlight shutsoff?

Bleed said:
anyone ever noticed that if you have the shotgun out for too long, the flashlight shutsoff?

it shuts off after a cinematic event. gotta fix that, i know.

i know, i got it

theyre fun but they kind of suck in the dark, grenades are only really useful when you can see what the hell youre throwing at. plus the marine throws like a fucking pansy, ill have to take care of that.

I love these weapon changes, but I don't want added flashlights. Is there a way to remove the flashlight? Well I'm sure there is a way, but is it simple enough that you could explain to me how to do it? =p Like commenting out lines or something?

CrouchingTiger said:
I love these weapon changes, but I don't want added flashlights. Is there a way to remove the flashlight? Well I'm sure there is a way, but is it simple enough that you could explain to me how to do it? =p Like commenting out lines or something?

in the version im working on, there will be a console command to turn them on and off

of course this version is in the "never going to be fucking finished until i figure out how to issue commands" stage

CrouchingTiger said:

Yea, just go into the weapon script files and remove the flashlight( true ); lines, there's about 3-4 of them per file. That alone will do it but if you want it really clean load up the weapon def files and remove the lines from //Begin Flashlight to //end flashlight

Also, none of the versions I am posting have flashlights. I dont like the weapon flashlights but I like playing with other aspects of the game. Kron and Sha are posting copies with weapon flashlights.

Eventually I think there will be 2 or 3 final versions of the mods we are posting here. Right now, since there is so much to play with, there are 4 or 5.

Psy: Editing the weapons in that way will make the muzzle flash look like the flashlight. I know, cuz I screwed it up in my mod at one point =) Compare the flashlight weapons with the original weapons and remove the differences to be sure.

Tsumari

Here's a quickie grenade mod.
I only changed the velocity of the grenade so it gets thrown farther and the bouncyness so it doesn't bounce around like a rubber ball.
Also, when I was testing it out I forgot I left the flare mod's script file in there. It was adding quite a nice effect when the grenade was going down the hall lighting up everything in it's path. So I added it into zip file as well.

If you don't want the lighting just open up the zip file and delete the script folder from the zip file. Then rename the .zip to a .pk4 and toss it into your base foldier
If you want the lighting just rename the .zip to .pk4 and toss it into your base folder.

could one off u guys make the Doom 3 guy punch faster that would make it a lot of fun when u come across a zombi or 2. :D

logan1 said:
could one off u guys make the Doom 3 guy punch faster that would make it a lot of fun when u come across a zombi or 2. :D

I second this request,as my GF loves to punch the zombies.maybe increase the default damage of the punch attack as well,just a bit.

edit:and thanks for all the work you guys have done on the mods so far. :)

Heh, psychos =P

I'll play with punches some and post the results today.

Even Claire Redfield uses a combat knife, tho =P

Tsu'

logan1 said:

im adding faster punching to my mod, as well as making it knock them back :D

great mod. How about changing the bfg though, making it more like the old one, by that I mean surrounding enemies in a patch of green and dealing damage based on what enemy they are, ie weaker enemies are gibbed, stronger ones are just dealt damage. Just like the BFG from doom 1 and 2. I dont have the game yet but will be getting it in a few days but I have seen the bfg in action and dont like how it just shoots out and blows enemies back and away from the blast, it kills them but it's not the same without the green glow and gibbing. I'm not sure if the bfg already does this as I dont have the game but in the video I downloaded it did not show anything like that.

First of all, what does "gib" mean?

Second of all, I tried deleting everything between the //Begin Flashlight and //End Flaslight lines for each weapon, and I lost muzzle flash, as I believe Tsumari mentioned. I then checked the default weapon .def files, and added the 2 or 3 lines back in that were commented out in the flashlight code, apparently the muzzle flash. So basically I had this where the Flashlight code was:

"mtr_flashShader" "muzzleflash"
"flashColor" "1 0.8 0.4"
"flashRadius" "120"

Yet I still didn't get the muzzle flash back. Why not?

And Tsumari, I didn't simply download your versions because I thought you mentioned dimming the regular flashlight as well. I didn't want that. :p

glock: it glows, it damages enemies constantly before the big explosion

Crouching: gib determines if the weapon can make enemies go into pieces. it doesnt stop you from using that weapon on corpses already on the ground and making those dissappear. for instance in my mod you can shoot a guy all you want with the machinegun and hell just die and fly around in a ragdoll matter. in the normal doom3 youd kill him, if you keep shooting hed do the skeleton-and-blood fade

just a mod-wise update

anything big like alt-fires and flares that dont replace weapons is going to have to wait until id releases the SDK. and there is no date on when that is except "soon after the game is released", at least thats what all the news sources have said. so for now, just tweaking of weapons. im also going to try to get something like the kick in duke nukem, where you keep the weapon you have but can do a quick melee attack. ideally id like a weapon hit like in halo but thatd requiring modding all the weapons animations, which i could do if i got lightwave (i have a lot of experiance with it so it wouldnt be too bad)

i thought so, thats what happens in the movie i downloaded that shows the bfg. I'd still like it to flash green over the enemies and disinigrate them like what happens in doom 1 and 2. Not sure if that would be possible

glock9mm15 said:
i thought so, thats what happens in the movie i downloaded that shows the bfg. I'd still like it to flash green over the enemies and disinigrate them like what happens in doom 1 and 2. Not sure if that would be possible

I could do it if i had a green flashing animation, the problem with that is, some gibbed because it was really powerful, that would involve tweaking the explosion a lot, and as of now, its not really powerful at all, thatd make it really powerful, and there was a reason they didnt make it that way

i've got one in movie form, I dont know how to make an animated gif, if the movie form will do, send me an email at [email protected] so I can send it to you, otherwise, I need some instruction on how to make an animation using pictures put together, which is what i believe all an animation is.

Does anybody know why removing all the flashlight code, and then adding these three lines back in from the default .def file, still causes no muzzle flash to occur?

Code:
	"mtr_flashShader"			"muzzleflash"
	"flashColor"				"1 0.8 0.4"
	"flashRadius"				"120"

Is muzzle flash disabled/enabled somewhere else in the .def file? The only editing I did was within the //Begin and //End Flashlight areas.

Oh and also, the mod as of 8/9 still causes save files to load at the beginning of the level. Just making sure that's on the bug squashing list. :)

even though i dont own the game, just from going around different forums and seeing some of the code involved in doom, i know there is a line that says :
seta g_muzzleFlash "1"
I believe the 1 turns it off, 0 turns it off, make sure yours has the 1.

I modded this mod a hair, I increased the fire power:D

Where do I find the settings for the flashlight? To make it larger/brighter?

kronchev said:
im adding faster punching to my mod, as well as making it knock them back :D
sweet ...when do u think it will get done,
thanx for all the work u put into em........

I've made a bit of progress on the muzzle flash problem, but apparently I'm only half-way there. Now when I say muzzle flash, I'm not talking about the small orange-ish flame that comes from the barrels of guns when fired (even though that is literally the muzzle flash). I'm talking about the light that the muzzle flash actually emits on other objects, which in this mod, is none.. I'm gonna use the chaingun as an example. After downloading the mod, I changed the following in the weapon_chaingun.def file:

From this:
Code:
	//Begin Flashlight
	// "mtr_flashShader"		"muzzleflash"
	// "flashColor"				"1 0.8 0.4"
	// "flashRadius"			"120"
	"mtr_flashShader"			"lights/flashlightX"
	"flashColor"				"1 1 1"
	"flashTime"					"0.016"
	"flashRadius"				"400"
	"flashAngle"				"22.0"
	"flashTarget"				"1280 0 0 "
	"flashUp"					"0 500 0"
	"flashRight"				"0 0 -500"
	"flashPointLight"			"0"	
	//End Flashlight
To this:
Code:
	"mtr_flashShader"		"muzzleflash"
	"flashRadius"			"120"
Basically I just removed everything in the flashlight area that was added, and uncommented the original code.

This did nothing, and I still had 0 light being emitted from the muzzle flash. So I got the idea to skim over the weapon_chaingun.script file breifly. I then deleted the following lines of code from the weapon_chaingun.script file:
Code:
	global_flashlight_intensity = 1.0;
	intensity = 1.0;
	setLightParm( 3, 1.0 );
	setShaderParm( 3, 1.0 );

flashlight( true );

flashlight( true );
Aha! Semi-success. I managed to get the muzzle flash to actually emit light. Problem now is that it is not the proper amount of light.

(DEFAULT DOOM 3)
big.jpg

(DOOM 3 WITH MOD, AFTER I EDITED .DEF & .SCRIPT)
small.jpg

As you can see from the first image, that is how much light SHOULD be emitted from the chaingun's muzzle flash. The second pic is the result I got after editing those two files as I stated. Apparently, there is still some differences located elsewhere in either of those two files that is effecting the intensity of the light. The question is, where/what? Anybody know?

Also, as you can see, the mod causes a lot more recoil on the chaingun. Where is this code located? I would like to change it back to the default, so I can see the ammo indicator.

I have one other issue about this mod, but I'll save it for another post since this one is long enough. :)

Your best bet is to start from the original doom 3 weapon and make changes from there. That's what I did with large sections of code when I took kron's changes but got rid of the flashlights on weapons.

Tsumari

Is there a command to turn the flashlights on and off the weapons? That would be amazing. Having control over it would be most excellent.

This mod is great, here are my only complaints. 1. I've gotten used to using the flashlight, so I really like the physics you've done, but I'd like to be able to turn that on or off. 2. The plasma light is cool, but it kills framerate in battles. I'd like that off too.

Great mod. I think it makes DOOM much more fun to play. I love the zombies don't disitnegrate, taht was gay. Great job!

My other issue that I mentioned earlier is with machine gun aim. It might be with other guns' aim, but I didn't try them. The pictures explain it well.

(DOOM 3 DEFAULT)
hit.jpg

(DOOM 3 with the hardmod as of 8/9)
miss.jpg

Why does the aim change with this mod? It is slightly to the lower right of the cross hairs.

Please specify who's version you are testing with those shots. I just checked mine, and couldn't find the aim change.

logan1 said:
sweet ...when do u think it will get done,
thanx for all the work u put into em........

i'm not doing another release until the SDK comes out, mostly because thats pretty much the only addition since the last release. any progress has come to a half because you cant do the really, really cool stuff without the SDK

CrouchingTiger said:
Why does the aim change with this mod? It is slightly to the lower right of the cross hairs.

it has a little bit of spread, before it was dead-on. not fun.

also youre pretty close to the wall, and the bullets are now coming OUT of the barrel, so thats why its like that in that instance.

There does seem to be some spread, but it is still mainly focusing towards the lower right of the cross hairs (see pic, where I fired about 10 shots farther away from the wall this time). Is it because the bullets are actually coming out of the gun? I'd rather the bullets be based around the cross hairs more than the gun. I don't care where the bullets come from. :p

spread.jpg

Wow, I finally figured out the muzzle problem. It just so happened that I was testing it on the chaingun, which was the one weapon that the hardmod writers accidentally changed the original code for, apparently.

In the hardmod as of 8/9, these three lines are commented out at the beginning of the flashlight code in a weapon's .def file:
Code:
	"mtr_flashShader"		"muzzleflash"
	"flashRadius"			"120"
Having been commented out, I assumed it was original, default code. However, flashRadius default for the chaingun is NOT 120, but 220. Someone must have accidentally changed this when writing the mod.

So my muzzle problems are finally solved. Not only do I have to uncomment the original code, I have to actually make sure it's original. :p

Now only two problems left with this mod. One is definately a bug, but the other might be intentional/unavoidable. The bug: this mod causes saves to load at the beginning of a level. The other problem: the bullets hitting slightly to the lower right of the crosshairs.

Back