Flashlight mod + extras

Updated my Flashlight mod.

Changes:

-Pistol (small flashlight*)
--Changed firing mode to true semi-auto. Pistol no longer fires automatically when the mouse is held down. It now fires as fast as you can click the mouse button. (thanks to kronchev)
--Increased magazine capacity from 12 to 16. +33%
--Increased spread from 0 degrees to 2 degrees. (0 degrees means its dead on all the time)

-Shotgun (medium flashlight*)
--Tighter shot spread, went from 22 degrees to 6 degrees
--Forced 1 shotshell reload per reload animation (default is 2 which is wierd)
--Increased number of shot per shotshell from 13 to 16
--Decreased damage per shot from 14 to 10

-Machinegun (medium flashlight*)
--Increased rate of fire from 10hz to 16hz

-Chaingun (slightly larger than medium flashlight*)
--Increased rate of fire from 7hz to 14hz(why was the chaingun so damn slow)
--Increased magazine capacity from 60 to 120. +100%
--Decreased the damage per bullet from 20 to 15

-Plasmagun (no flashlight)
--Doubled projectile velocity
--Increased magazine capacity from 50 to 60. +20%
--Turned on lighting effects

-Decreased decal sizes for all of the above weapons.

*Sizes are relative to the actual flashlight which should be considered large.

Just unzip pak005.pk4 into your doom3/base dir. If you have a previous flashlightmod
named pak005.pk4, just overwrite the file.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sjzhang/files/Flashmod_1.1.zip

thanks gonna try it out now.

oh and by the way... maybe after you ahve worked on it to your hearts content you should edit the FIRST post with updated links etc.

thanks again man you own

Great thread guys! Now I can't wait to get home and try this stuff out.

is there a way I can just get the flashlight without having the modified shooting?

Camaro68 said:
is there a way I can just get the flashlight without having the modified shooting?
I'll make one soon but not right away. You should try this one out anyway. Its pretty painless to install/uninstall.

I'm gona give this one a try as well.. as soon as I get home from work.. I'm Thinking on cutt'n out 2 hours early so I might go home and play.. :cool:

Mongose101 said:
I'm gona give this one a try as well.. as soon as I get home from work.. I'm Thinking on cutt'n out 2 hours early so I might go home and play.. :cool:

Definitely did that :eek:

No one ever notices...one of the great things about being an intern.

what file to I modify to turn the normal toggled flashlight into a damn floodlight

Ok, plans for the weekend:

Weapon mods only
Weapon mods + no gibbing
Flashlight mods only

I wont be here on saturday so don't expect anything in the morning.

sha:

we need to do this together. contact me via email or AIM (look in my sig) and we can work this out. its probabily best if we divide the modding in half. i want bullet weapons :D you can take plasma, rocket, bfg.

let me know, I am anxious to do this but it will only turn out best if we work together :)

Well I wont be able to work on it until later tomorrow. I'll get a hold of you. Right now I can't think of anything major to add. If you can, work on it till I get back.

Things we need - Things I Want

Change grenades to flares, bind them to a button, press button it throws a flare, no charge time needed, no change of weapon

Change flashlights size, double or triple, would like to get a better look at things in game. If your gonna bother with a mounted/flashlight modification, then theres no point in using regular flashlight.

The Chainsaw Launcher - Nuff Said

Will try to work on these if i can, so far no luck simply modifying the flashlights params to make it bigger, most likely need to edit its image map

shaocaholica said:
Well I wont be able to work on it until later tomorrow. I'll get a hold of you. Right now I can't think of anything major to add. If you can, work on it till I get back.

I'll put some time into bullet weapons. right now I mostly need ideas, once I get the shotgun to throw monsters against the wall (obviously itd only work on smaller ones like imps and the thin zombies since it calculates based on mass) I'm not sure what to do. I dont like how you did the chaingun having 120 ammo, it doesnt fit in the box. thats better down to 99, even though its a weird number. shotgun, Ill have to look up what a real shotgun is capitable of a little more (in technical terms, not in my experiance) and see how I can improve that. Also Ill look at toggle lights.

I do want to see a few things done with grenades up, but i'll lay those on you later when you can address them

/edit: to give people an idea of how I want to go with the bullets:

Teh Intarwebs said:
A lion of mass 120 kg leaps at a hunter with a horizontal velocity of 12m/s. The hunter has an automatic rifle firing bullets of mass 15 g with a muzzle speed of 630m/s and he attempts to stop the lion in midair. How many bullets would the hunter have to fire into the lion to stop its horizontal motion? Assume the bullets stick inside the lion.

The total momentum of the system, the bullets and the lion, would be zero since there are no external forces to consider,

P = mlionvlion - nmbulletvbullet = 0 ,

where the lion is assumed to be moving in the positive direction. Rearranging the equation to find n,

n = mlionvlion / mbulletvbullet = (120 kg 12 m/s) / (0.015kg 630 m/s) = 152.4 .

It would take 153 bullets to stop the lion dead, so to speak.

Obviously thats a huge amount of bullets but I am pulling real physics into this in the hope that the engine has implemented the same formulae

kronchev said:
I'll put some time into bullet weapons. right now I mostly need ideas, once I get the shotgun to throw monsters against the wall (obviously itd only work on smaller ones like imps and the thin zombies since it calculates based on mass) I'm not sure what to do. I dont like how you did the chaingun having 120 ammo, it doesnt fit in the box. thats better down to 99, even though its a weird number. shotgun, Ill have to look up what a real shotgun is capitable of a little more (in technical terms, not in my experiance) and see how I can improve that. Also Ill look at toggle lights.

I do want to see a few things done with grenades up, but i'll lay those on you later when you can address them

/edit: to give people an idea of how I want to go with the bullets:

Obviously thats a huge amount of bullets but I am pulling real physics into this in the hope that the engine has implemented the same formulae
I don't want to make it ultra realistic in terms of the bullet weapons. I've already set the shotgun up nice. Its modeled after #1 buckshot with 16 pellets. 00 buckshot would also work but I wanted more coverage. The spread is still pretty loose compared to real world data but it wouldn't make it much fun with the distances you deal with in this game.

I set the chaingun to 120 because I thought that ammo capacity was more important than the numbers fitting on the display. Im pretty comfy with the way I have the bullet weapons set up now. Feel free to do more research, I bet you'll come to the same numbers anyway :D

shaocaholica said:
I don't want to make it ultra realistic in terms of the bullet weapons. I've already set the shotgun up nice. Its modeled after #1 buckshot with 16 pellets. 00 buckshot would also work but I wanted more coverage. The spread is still pretty loose compared to real world data but it wouldn't make it much fun with the distances you deal with in this game.

I set the chaingun to 120 because I thought that ammo capacity was more important than the numbers fitting on the display. Im pretty comfy with the way I have the bullet weapons set up now. Feel free to do more research, I bet you'll come to the same numbers anyway :D

I dont want ultra-realistic either but i think the mods more fun if its believable. the shotgun spread is fine as it is now, but it seems to have a tendency to shoot lower than the cursor, I think thats the way the spread is calculated, the offset is somewhere I think I remember.;

Ruffy said:
Change flashlights size, double or triple, would like to get a better look at things in game. If your gonna bother with a mounted/flashlight modification, then theres no point in using regular flashlight.
I've already made the weapon lights smaller. I will slightly increase the flashlight just to give people a reason to use it. Im not really sure about the flares.

This mod really helps the game out. It's been said many times - Doom 3 is too dark.

shaocaholica said:
I've already made the weapon lights smaller. I will slightly increase the flashlight just to give people a reason to use it. Im not really sure about the flares.

how do I make it bigger then

and I think flares would look cool in really dark areas, replace grenade model with flashlight entity, throw it, instant flare

Ruffy said:
how do I make it bigger then

and I think flares would look cool in really dark areas, replace grenade model with flashlight entity, throw it, instant flare

the grenades are still a good weapon, theyre really powerful, and bounce around corners and such. flares are a decent idea but will be implemented later, right now we're getting used to modifying existing code

quick update:

I got flyback nearly done on all bullet weapons. Pistol and machinegun cant gib but shotgun and chaingun can. Shotgun from a distance doenst really move guys but run up to an imp and hit em in the face and they go flying, really cool. made pistol a tiny bit more powerful but its not overpowered at all; also made the recoil animation a little quicker so rapid firing looks a little better.

im going to go to sleep now and hopefully ill get some ideas.I want to look into having tracer rounds on the machine gun but who knows how possible that is. i do know that unlike quake1, there arent instant bullets, its all calculated as very, very fast projectiles without a model, shadow, and at 1/10 the scale of anything. Maybe the machinegun can shoot tracer rounds as well? again I'll look into that. something still feels weird with the shotgun as well, I cant pick it out. might be the sound. might be the model. both things I have no talent at fixing ;)

I'm using your mod and I'm enjoying the changes. I got it for the semiauto pistol, and I kept the weapon balance changes, but I got rid of the flashlight part. The weapons in general seem to be getting more powerful so I figured the sight with powerful weapons might be overkill.

Anyway, here's what I'd really like to see. If you can get a button to bind to a command, I'd love to see a button that toggles between your current weapon and the pistol, much like the flashlight toggle. I'd make that my right mouse button and go to my sidearm instead of waiting through reload animations. Kind of like counter strike.

Tsu'

Tsumari said:
I'm using your mod and I'm enjoying the changes. I got it for the semiauto pistol, and I kept the weapon balance changes, but I got rid of the flashlight part. The weapons in general seem to be getting more powerful so I figured the sight with powerful weapons might be overkill.

Anyway, here's what I'd really like to see. If you can get a button to bind to a command, I'd love to see a button that toggles between your current weapon and the pistol, much like the flashlight toggle. I'd make that my right mouse button and go to my sidearm instead of waiting through reload animations. Kind of like counter strike.

Tsu'

i should be in bed :rolleyes:

the big problem I see with that is that all weapons are MADE to not switch while reloading, except for the shotgun. that can be easily put in but im concerned it might open up people hitting reload, swapping to another gun, then quickly swapping back. also getting a command to switch between current gun and pistol is a bit off, right now we're still sticking to just the weapons defs. well get there soon dont worry ;)

woohooo got my flashlight mod
gotta make it more into a floodlight tho instead of entire room illumination

flashlight mod light on chaingun
doom3 2004-08-07 01-53-37-14.jpg

floodlight
doom3 2004-08-07 01-53-39-95.jpg

wow that floodlight kills the scaryness

would be cool for a nostalgic, rock infused, godmode enabled, action packed, classic doom style speed run :)

the more i think about that the better it sounds :D

kronchev said:
i should be in bed :rolleyes:

the big problem I see with that is that all weapons are MADE to not switch while reloading, except for the shotgun. that can be easily put in but im concerned it might open up people hitting reload, swapping to another gun, then quickly swapping back. also getting a command to switch between current gun and pistol is a bit off, right now we're still sticking to just the weapons defs. well get there soon dont worry ;)

Well I'm not hoping for a reload exploit, like there is in counter strike with some of the rifles. Just a quick way to ditch a weapon that is low of or out of ammo, and then have the toggle remember what that weapon is when I'm done so I can reload. I'll see if I can figure it out and let you guys know what I find.

I got it. Under the def folder in pak000 there is a player.def file that defines a lot of weapon options. search for def_weapon1 and you will see the pistol with the weapon1_toggle option set to off. I turned it on and the toggle works nicely. I played around with using the flashlight command and the pistol command to see if I could make it crash or bug out, and it didn't so it doesn't seem like this will hurt anything.

In testing, it will let me switch to the pistol in the middle of the shotgun reload, but not in the middle of other reload animations. The shotgun does not gain ammo if you interrupt the animation for the shell being put in. So I am going to try to disable the block that keeps you from interrupting the other animations.

Tsumari

Ok I have the code setup for the machine gun to allow you to interrupt the reload animation. I've set it up so that it does not let you fire in the middle of the animation as with the shotgun, you can only change weapons.

I've set my Q button to toggle flashlight instead of my right mouse button, and set the mouse button to toggle the pistol. So my primary button is firing weapons away and when I'm low or out, right click to switch to the pistol quickly.

Here is the reload code for the machine gun, modified from the shotgun code.

void weapon_machinegun::Reload() {

// This function has been modified to allow the player to change weapons in the middle of the reload animation.
// I copied the shotgun reload sequence and modified it (namely, addToClip takes clipsize as an argument instead
// of the custom reload amount for shotguns. I took away the ability to shoot while reloading because there is no
// animation for that activity and it looks rather odd when the gun is open.

//when copying over the shotgun code, we also have to copy the variables from the reload function.
float ammoClip;
float ammoAvail;
float clip_size;

clip_size = clipSize();
ammoAvail = ammoAvailable();
ammoClip = ammoInClip();
/////////////////////////////////////

weaponReloading();

//get rid of these waits, and instead go into a loop that should only run once. The loop will play the animation

// playAnim( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, "reload" );
// waitUntil( animDone( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, MACHINEGUN_RELOAD_TO_IDLE ) );

while( ( ammoClip < clip_size ) && ( ammoClip < ammoAvail ) ) {

weaponReloading();
playAnim( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, "reload" );
while( !animDone( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, 0 ) ) {
// allow the player to switch weapons
if ( WEAPON_LOWERWEAPON || WEAPON_NETENDRELOAD ) {
break;
}
waitFrame();
}
if ( !animDone( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, 0 ) ) {
break;
}
addToClip( clipSize() );
weaponReady();
waitFrame();
if ( WEAPON_LOWERWEAPON || WEAPON_NETENDRELOAD ) {
// allow the player to switch weapons
break;
}
ammoAvail = ammoAvailable();
ammoClip = ammoInClip();
}

// since we moved the reload into the loop (which should only run once)
// get rid of the reload here
// addToClip( clipSize() );
weaponState( "Idle", MACHINEGUN_RELOAD_TO_IDLE );
} // end

Once I've got all the weapons working in this way I'll post the modified pak file and if the other mod workers like the changes you can merge them back into your work.

The board killed the code formatting, but it will look better in the pak file.

Tsu'

Ok, here is a modified version of the weapon mod. No flashlights, but the reload and quick swap with pistol work now. Let me know if you run into any problems.

The forked mod

I've found that the action is a lot more frantic with the fast swapping, etc. Especially when your sidearm and favorite weapon both run out of ammo, heh.

Tsumari

thanks nami, do you mind if we put that in the current mod we are working on?

Go for it. The only code changes are in the weapon reload functions, as well as the pistol definition in the player file. Copying just those sections will keep your flashlight settings intact.

Tsumari

I really want to try out this flashlight weapons mob but do you think you can make a mod where if just puts a flash light on the weapons and don't adjust the weapons rate of fire or spread? I want to keep the game play the same but with more light.

kronchev said:
http://www.spatula-city.us/computers/Doom3/hardmod 0.2a.zip

New version, consolidates my work, Tsu's work, and sha's work, see the txt file in there if you want to know whats in it :)

Cool stuff....why cant you make it a mod? The mods ive done all you need to do is create a folder under the doom directory eg: "d:\games\doom3\mymod" put in your pak file. make sure the def files in the pack file has the sub directory of \def, should work fine

Steel Chicken said:
Cool stuff....why cant you make it a mod? The mods ive done all you need to do is create a folder under the doom directory eg: "d:\games\doom3\mymod" put in your pak file. make sure the def files in the pack file has the sub directory of \def, should work fine

I just did it with yours, works great

Steel Chicken said:

I didnt know that. Thanks!

OK, i took all of your guys mods, added the ungibbable mod (from fileplanet) and then my own uber plasma gun. makes the game quite a bit easier, but not on nightmare level!! Much funner tho, at least IMO

Back