Fixed aspect ratio

Magice

Limp Gawd
Is there any way to run my video card in fixed aspect mode without CCC?

check your monitor, most good monitors will have a fixed aspect setting...

Scaling doesn't seem to be dependent on price anymore - there are cheap monitors that will do it, and expensive high-end ones like the 30" that won't do it. ATI really needs to do this like NVidia so that there is no more of these "Will it scale" questions.

Scaling doesn't seem to be dependent on price anymore - there are cheap monitors that will do it, and expensive high-end ones like the 30" that won't do it. ATI really needs to do this like NVidia so that there is no more of these "Will it scale" questions.

But its broken on Nvidia drivers. :eek:

But its broken on Nvidia drivers. :eek:

It isn't broken. I've posted about 8 times in the nvidia section on how to fix it. If it isn't working for you with 163.44, look in the latest thread, and apply the steps I outlined.

Thread is here

It doesn't work PERIOD with ATI, which is a hell of a lot worse than "doesn't work until after I apply the overscan compensation fix" :rolleyes:

does it work?

Sigh.

Don't you suppose you should read the thread? I have an 8800 GTS/1680x1050 LCD/XP-32, and a 8600GTS/1920x1200 LCD - scaling works with the 163.44s.

It has also worked for me with the 162's, and the 160.03's - you just have to use the overscan compensation hotfix.

I can't even find your thread anymore. Hardforum is the pits since few weeks ago.

Sigh.

Don't you suppose you should read the thread? I have an 8800 GTS/1680x1050 LCD/XP-32, and a 8600GTS/1920x1200 LCD - scaling works with the 163.44s.

It has also worked for me with the 162's, and the 160.03's - you just have to use the overscan compensation hotfix.

Ghetto fix on such Expensive and Mature hardware seems like a shame.. LOL.. I just wanna make sure what you mean by scaling. I'm not talking about playing a particular game at a custom resolution, I'm talking about just simply getting the desktop to fit an HDTV, I was unable to do that with Nvidia drivers. ATI does and always has done that perfectly and I've never ran into a problem with my desktop nor a game at any resolution I wanted..
Please let me know what you mean when you refer to scaling as I'm getting ready to return my 8800gtx tomorrow because of this issue.. Thanks!!

In a nutshell, most WS monitors simply stretch whatever input is given them, especially over DVI. This is not good when you want to play a game that only supports 4:3 or 5:4 res since the image will be distorted horizontally. What fixed aspect ratio scaling does is introduce pillar boxes on the sides of the image for non-widescreen res while scaling the image to the monitor's top and bottom keeping the aspect ratio of the image intact. The big deal is that DAAMiT refuses to even consider implementing this into its desktop VGA line despite many requests to do so for the better part of two years or more, but to add some confusion, they support this feature for mobile VGA under the label "maintain aspect ratio" in CCC that simply does not appear for its desktop VGA.

It isn't broken. I've posted about 8 times in the nvidia section on how to fix it. If it isn't working for you with 163.44, look in the latest thread, and apply the steps I outlined.

Thread is here

It doesn't work PERIOD with ATI, which is a hell of a lot worse than "doesn't work until after I apply the overscan compensation fix" :rolleyes:

Stupid crap doesn't work. :rolleyes:

It works with my two widescreen monitors. Did you apply the fix and then reboot? Did you uncheck treat as HDTV?

I play Diablo 2 still, and refuse to play with a stretched desktop. It is a very big issue for me, therefore I *KNOW* it works with my 8600 GTS and my 8800GTS.

It isn't a ghetto fix to apply a manufacturer supplied patch...it is a manufacturer supplied fix. It works if you actually read the thread and try it. If it isn't working for you, then perhaps a complete uninstall/reinstall of your drivers are necessary, then apply the overscan compensation fix, reboot, and then uncheck Treat as HDTV, and your flat panel scaling options are there.

As I said before, I'd far rather have it work after applying a fix than have it to never work at all. If it still doesn't work for you, then perhaps you can get an ATI card and bug AMD to integrate it into their drivers. Good luck, because for the longest time they have claimed that it is impossible to do, and yet I've been doing it with my NVidia cards all along.

In a nutshell, most WS monitors simply stretch whatever input is given them, especially over DVI. This is not good when you want to play a game that only supports 4:3 or 5:4 res since the image will be distorted horizontally. What fixed aspect ratio scaling does is introduce pillar boxes on the sides of the image for non-widescreen res while scaling the image to the monitor's top and bottom keeping the aspect ratio of the image intact. The big deal is that DAAMiT refuses to even consider implementing this into its desktop VGA line despite many requests to do so for the better part of two years or more, but to add some confusion, they support this feature for mobile VGA under the label "maintain aspect ratio" in CCC that simply does not appear for its desktop VGA.

Exactly. I think the problem is that they don't know how to do it. They initially claimed that it was impossible, and that scaling relied upon the EIED information. Obviously that wasn't the case because NVidia cards do it just fine regardless of the monitor. Then it got to be a joke trying to explain what you were asking (I had an X800 and fought this issue before giving up and getting an nvidia card) as every support person played dumb because they knew there was no way to fix it under ATI cards.

This is the issue that turned me from using ATI cards in any of my PCs. Before there were widescreen monitors, I liked ATI products, and preferred them to NVidia. Because they refuse to fix this particular issue, though, I can't buy an ATI card because I still play some old 4:3 titles. They may be old and look dated, but Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale and Diablo 2 are awesome to play on my 28" monitor scaled to 4:3.

When I finally quit playing Infinity Engine games, Sacred (another favorite of mine), and Diablo 2, I guess I'll then be open to buying an ATI card for my personal machines. Since that isn't going to happen any time soon, though, I guess I'll be buying NVidia.

It works with my two widescreen monitors. Did you apply the fix and then reboot? Did you uncheck treat as HDTV?

I play Diablo 2 still, and refuse to play with a stretched desktop. It is a very big issue for me, therefore I *KNOW* it works with my 8600 GTS and my 8800GTS.

It isn't a ghetto fix to apply a manufacturer supplied patch...it is a manufacturer supplied fix. It works if you actually read the thread and try it. If it isn't working for you, then perhaps a complete uninstall/reinstall of your drivers are necessary, then apply the overscan compensation fix, reboot, and then uncheck Treat as HDTV, and your flat panel scaling options are there.

As I said before, I'd far rather have it work after applying a fix than have it to never work at all. If it still doesn't work for you, then perhaps you can get an ATI card and bug AMD to integrate it into their drivers. Good luck, because for the longest time they have claimed that it is impossible to do, and yet I've been doing it with my NVidia cards all along.

What patch? I already bugged AMD and now I'm bugging Nvidia! :D It's waste of time trying to bug a corporation who don't give a 2 cents about you except to make money. :eek: I'm on Vista 64 BTW.

Patch and notes are here

The fix is for Windows XP. I do not know if it works under Vista. Perhaps you could install it and post back to let everyone know.

Patch and notes are here

The fix is for Windows XP. I do not know if it works under Vista. Perhaps you could install it and post back to let everyone know.

Works great for Vista x86. I don't game on x64 so I don't really care for it.

But one thing though.. I read that it doesn't support hdcp when you do this which is a bummer.. :(

My CPU usage went from 20-30% to much as 60% trying to play 1080p movie. Video actually looks not as sharp. :(

Just sold my X1900XTX and brand new HD2900XT because those stupid assholes wont put the feature in their drivers.

Back