First

okay I am going to order one now
LoL! Lemming!

But yeah, I am thinking this thing will be a fun time for all those games I will not take time with on my desktop.

The gyro aiming thing will put a whole new spin on it for handheld gaming.

I am guessing the control it will give us with driving games might be a big win. Because yeah, fuck that whole steering wheel etc., dragging it out to play a game.

Last edited:
The gyro thing could be interesting. Wouldn't work well for every game, but I'd love to play some chill walking simulators and looking around like a makeshift VR.

Also, the track pads will be great for emulating old DOS or Windows games that rely on the mouse.

I used to have a GPD Win 2 and still have a RG280V. They are great, and can play DOS games, but the joystick mouse-emulation is janky. So having the trackpads opens up a bunch of old games.

I used to have a GPD Win 2 and still have a RG280V. They are great, and can play DOS games, but the joystick mouse-emulation is janky. So having the trackpads opens up a bunch of old games.

Yar, looking forward to playing some crpgs on this handheld using the track pads.

I think all of us have probably thought about how awesome would it be if we could play PC games anywhere using a small handheld console.
As kids we thought "why doesn't someone make one" and as as adults we knew it just wasn't technically possible.
Well now it is. They've done it, and it's awesome.

The gyro thing could be interesting. Wouldn't work well for every game, but I'd love to play some chill walking simulators and looking around like a makeshift VR.

Also, the track pads will be great for emulating old DOS or Windows games that rely on the mouse.

Anyone who owns WiiU can tell that Gyro is great. Even though the Gyro on WiiU controller is old, drifts and you have to recenter it now and then it helps so much with aiming compared to just a stick. It is still no mouse but it gets close. 👍

I got the 512 nvme Ed. preordered, still think its a niche product though. Looking forward to all the fun things to do with it however.

I'm excited. Really. Given how far proton has come already? I've found TWO things so far on my list that won't play - CODs (various anti-cheat stuff, but I didn't put much effort in troubleshooting), and 3dmark (lawl).

Hell I am happy I can finally carry my game library with me, tired of buying something on two - three different platforms so I can play while traveling.

Gaming laptops aside (which are nice for long TDYs/deployments), I rather have the Steam Deck for those get away weekends. Especially when it’s cheaper to travel only with a backpack.

I have the 512GB one on order. Wasn't really sure about it at first but after watching some hands on impressions of the unit I think it will be pretty fun.

Hopefully I can burn through some of the older games in my steam backlog on it. I have a newborn in the house so I don't get as much quality gaming time as I used to.

Anyone who owns WiiU can tell that Gyro is great. Even though the Gyro on WiiU controller is old, drifts and you have to recenter it now and then it helps so much with aiming compared to just a stick. It is still no mouse but it gets close. 👍
It's one of the first things I disable in botw switch. I hate it. That said, it is great for some things.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't use the Deck for the latest and greatest games, but lots of great older games sitting in the backlog waiting to get played.
I could see myself wasting way to much time on games like Civ. lol

I might actually consider it.

Since having my first child, my PC gaming has taken a major hit, and I find myself sitting on the couch play Switch or something like that more and more often versus sitting in my office on my computer.

Bringing PC gaming to handheld could be fucking awesome.

I might actually consider it.

Since having my first child, my PC gaming has taken a major hit, and I find myself sitting on the couch play Switch or something like that more and more often versus sitting in my office on my computer.

Bringing PC gaming to handheld could be fucking awesome.

I've got a lot of indie titles I want to run through on the train/plane

I've got a lot of indie titles I want to run through on the train/plane
Definitely read titties.

I almost get one to play a few Tower Defense Games on a motorcycle camping trip. Then again, think that may defeat the purpose of said trip. Still kind of neat to consider though.

I almost get one to play a few Tower Defense Games on a motorcycle camping trip. Then again, think that may defeat the purpose of said trip.

I doubt that it will prevent you from riding a motorcycle.

I bought a Atari LYNX back in the day. I had never seen such tech before and always had dreampt of gaming power in the palm of my hand. This is that today WITH the ability to TV plugin and breakout to a full PC as needed. I have a feeling within 10 years an updated one of these plus sun-glasses sized VR will do everything you need.
Way to go Valve.

I've always loved portable systems. But I'd have to say the best of all time was the original PSP.

It could play 3D games that looked almost console quality (well a little less, but on the small screen it was good enough).

You could play movies. It was small. The screen was amazing. It was so good. The first portable system that didn't feel like it was a lesser experience.

1638859284826.png

I've always loved portable systems. But I'd have to say the best of all time was the original PSP.

It could play 3D games that looked almost console quality (well a little less, but on the small screen it was good enough).

You could play movies. It was small. The screen was amazing. It was so good. The first portable system that didn't feel like it was a lesser experience.

View attachment 419299
I loved the PSP as well, for other reasons...

It made me money. I brought broken ones off eBay, fix them up and sell them in my high school.

Already anticipating SteamDeck 2. Valve is already promising there will be no SteamDeck 3 in the near future, but will be some Enhanced Play (Ep) versions post 2.

View attachment 419299
I still have mine from 2008 (blue Madden edition) that i bought for deployment entertainment. My 6 year old loves the thing when he gets video game time.

Its going to be hard keeping his hands off of the Steam Deck when it arrives....

anyone know how easy this are going to be to repair? Maybe the one advantage it will have over the phone everybody already has?

Back