First try at OC'n

ZL1 said:
the 59xx series dont do well in 3dmark03/05, they have an issue with dx9
but run 2001se and you'll like the score :)
or a pcmark

D

might swap out my 6800 ultra for the 59xx and see if that improves things

Sunin said:
might swap out my 6800 ultra for the 59xx and see if that improves things

oh it will :)
the 6800 series are great cards

D

I swapped to the 6800 GT, and Snap, what a difference!

3dMark05:

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/3d with 6800GT no tweaks.JPG

PCmark05:

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/PCMark05 with 6800GT no tweaks.JPG

PCmark on one of the tests seemed slower, I am not sure if it was running soo damn fast that my lcd just had issues displaying or what, but it seemed very jittery

The scores speak for themself, fixed my sig for the card already... I thought the two cards were based on the same GPU and thus not much of a difference... woah was I wrong!!!!

David

P.S. I refuse to buy a 7800 GTX until I can do SLI :p

Sunin said:
I swapped to the 6800 GT, and Snap, what a difference!

3dMark05:

PCmark05:

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/PCMark05 with 6800GT no tweaks.JPG

PCmark on one of the tests seemed slower, I am not sure if it was running soo damn fast that my lcd just had issues displaying or what, but it seemed very jittery

The scores speak for themself, fixed my sig for the card already... I thought the two cards were based on the same GPU and thus not much of a difference... woah was I wrong!!!!

David

P.S. I refuse to buy a 7800 GTX until I can do SLI :p

:)

actually the VP201b has a decent 16ms response time so it shouldnt be ghosting, its prolly just the bench (wait for the new ram, thats the bottleneck right now)

yep the 6800 is a good card, but Im still a bit confused you have a 6800GT or a 6800U ?
actually I wouldnt buy the 7800GTX, Id just go for the 7800GT, there isnt that much of a performance difference and you can have a very nice 7800GT for $300 these days, but you need pcie first and that means new motherboard, new cpu and new ram so Id say wait for the next gen and then upgrade everything

D

PS: about that ram, why gskill ?

ZL1 said:

actually the VP201b has a decent 16ms response time so it shouldnt be ghosting, its prolly just the bench (wait for the new ram, thats the bottleneck right now)

yep the 6800 is a good card, but Im still a bit confused you have a 6800GT or a 6800U ?
actually I wouldnt buy the 7800GTX, Id just go for the 7800GT, there isnt that much of a performance difference and you can have a very nice 7800GT for $300 these days, but you need pcie first and that means new motherboard, new cpu and new ram so Id say wait for the next gen and then upgrade everything

D

PNY 6800 Ultra, I examined it and cleaned it as I moved it to my faster system. as I read the specs on the Ultra it is faster/better then the GT... Sorry no uber OC'd card, just something that worked it was replacing an old geforce card that was 128mg and slow!

I agree with you on the waiting and upgrading, hell maybe the 8800's will be out by that time, I'm thinking a year from now after I finish having fun OC'n what i have. My other puter is a 900mhz amd, which is now running the 5xxx series nvidia card... hahaha, funny that I was running the better card in my crapier box, sigh... sometimes you don't realize :D

As always thanks for your feedback, and I loved the performance improvement seen. Although I have to ask I OC'd the agp by 10% and saw almost -0- performance change, I thought by boosting bus performance and upping the voltage a notch I'd get a performance boost but no change, I mean it maybe increased the score by 12, which is probably just a longer read or write operation then anything to do with the vid card.

David

ZL1 said:

Eclipse recommended and after looking at my options I wanted something in the DDR 500 or 600 range. I was looking at the OCZ modules, but his opinion is they were pretty equiv and I saved $50. Regardless I doubt I'll be pushing the DDR 500's past a 10% OC and they should hold up fine.

I'm open to trying new things, hell I've never bought performance memory, I've always bought the cheapest ram possible... so this is new territory. why do you ask?

David

Sunin said:
PNY 6800 Ultra, I examined it and cleaned it as I moved it to my faster system. as I read the specs on the Ultra it is faster/better then the GT... Sorry no uber OC'd card, just something that worked it was replacing an old geforce card that was 128mg and slow!

I agree with you on the waiting and upgrading, hell maybe the 8800's will be out by that time, I'm thinking a year from now after I finish having fun OC'n what i have. My other puter is a 900mhz amd, which is now running the 5xxx series invidia card... hahaha, funny that I was running the better card in my crapier box, sigh... sometimes you don't realize :D

As always thanks for your feedback, and I loved the performance improvement seen. Although I have to ask I OC'd the agp by 10% and saw almost -0- performance change, I thought by boosting bus performance and upping the voltage a notch I'd get a performance boost but no change, I mean it maybe increased the score by 12, which is probably just a longer read or write operation then anything to do with the vid card.

David

You're welcome :)

10% oc should give some results, what did you oc the core or the ram ? what soft did you use ?

D

P.S. a 5950U on a 900mhz amd ? and here I am running a 5900SE on a 3.3 :)

ZL1 said:
You're welcome :)

10% oc should give some results, what did you oc the core or the ram ? what soft did you use ?

D

P.S. a 5950U on a 900mhz amd ? and here I am running a 5900SE on a 3.3 :)

Hmm I have a feeling I need to read up on OC'n video cards. All I did was in bios up the AGP speed from 66/33 to 72/36, 80/40 would not boot. Then I juiced the card from 1.6v to 1.7v... I'm guessing from your response there is more to OC'n vid cards then what I'm doing I'll research it a bit.

Yeah that 5950U was expensive, If I recall when I got it like 2yrs ago, it was $550, then the 6800 Ultra I got on sale for I want to say 299 like last January. I compared clock speeds and what not of the two and the 5950 seemed the better of the two, but as I can tell now they are not in the same league, while the 5950 is running at a core of 475mhz, if memory serves me the raw power of the 6800 is a clear winner.

David

Sunin said:
Hmm I have a feeling I need to read up on OC'n video cards. All I did was in bios up the AGP speed from 66/33 to 72/36, 80/40 would not boot. Then I juiced the card from 1.6v to 1.7v... I'm guessing from your response there is more to OC'n vid cards then what I'm doing I'll research it a bit.

Yeah that 5950U was expensive, If I recall when I got it like 2yrs ago, it was $550, then the 6800 Ultra I got on sale for I want to say 299 like last January. I compared clock speeds and what not of the two and the 5950 seemed the better of the two, but as I can tell now they are not in the same league, while the 5950 is running at a core of 475mhz, if memory serves me the raw power of the 6800 is a clear winner.

David

change that back, dont mess with the agp/pci speeds man (increasing the agp/pci speed will raise the speed at which all your pci devices run and also the IDE bus and thats dangerous, always keep the agp/pci at 66/33)

you need to oc the vcard using a soft like rivatuner, it will let you raise the core and ram speed without touching the bus speed
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

D

PS: was just curious about the gskill

ZL1 said:
welcome, sorry never tried ntune

D

searching with no luck for rthdribl... got a link? Found several 6800 oc discussions that mention it but not one that has a link. :(

David

Sunin said:
searching with no luck for rthdribl... got a link? Found several 6800 oc discussions that mention it but not one that has a link. :(

David

what is "rthdribl" ?

D

ZL1 said:
what is "rthdribl" ?

D

Dunno really, just some type of 3d utilization tester that folks on the nvidia forum say they use to load test the nvidia card. They keep that up and the riva to monitor temps, just wanted to make sure I did not hurt the 6800U. I will first open the pipelines if any are closed, although they should be all open, and then check the vertex. Run for a bit and play with the OC. My scores with out any tweaking seem to be comparable to one's listed in the nvidia section with about 5k 3dmark05, so if I get another 500 out of tweaking I'd be highly excited, if it is safe and stable. Thus wanting to make sure I can monitor temps... now only if they would allow us to use a 2nd computer to interface on the monitoring of temps. Have one system run the vid tests while the other monitors temps remotely. I know what a dream right...

David

Sunin said:
Dunno really, just some type of 3d utilization tester that folks on the nvidia forum say they use to load test the nvidia card. They keep that up and the riva to monitor temps, just wanted to make sure I did not hurt the 6800U. I will first open the pipelines if any are closed, although they should be all open, and then check the vertex. Run for a bit and play with the OC. My scores with out any tweaking seem to be comparable to one's listed in the nvidia section with about 5k 3dmark05, so if I get another 500 out of tweaking I'd be highly excited, if it is safe and stable. Thus wanting to make sure I can monitor temps... now only if they would allow us to use a 2nd computer to interface on the monitoring of temps. Have one system run the vid tests while the other monitors temps remotely. I know what a dream right...

David

you can monitor the temps via the nvidia driver
right click>properties>settings>advanced>nvidia>temps tab
also everest should show em

stress test with 3dmark looping

D

P.S. you dont need a second pc, just one of those 3.5" lcds that come with thermal probes :)

ZL1 said:
you can monitor the temps via the nvidia driver
right click>properties>settings>advanced>nvidia>temps tab
also everest should show em

stress test with 3dmark looping

D

P.S. you dont need a second pc, just one of those 3.5" lcds that come with thermal probes :)

LOL I'm twisted I was thinking I have an all in wonder pci vga card somewhere I could temporarly split windows and drop the temp monitoring into monitor 2 and drive both cards off the one machine, but I'm not sure if I would get performance hits for doing that... LOL like I said twisted.. I keep a lot of my old equipment for playing around just like this...

David

Results of my OC efforts on my 6800U

Pre anything just straight 6800U before tweaks:

Round 1 OC core to 385 (10% oc)

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/385mhz oc on 6800 ultra.JPG

Round 2 OC core to 385, Mem to 1150

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/385mhz 1150mhz oc on 6800 ultra.JPG

Round 3 OC core to 398, Mem to 1170, which is max that would test on Riva

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/398mhz 1170mhz oc on 6800 ultra max per Riva.JPG

Result 5556 on 3dMark05 from the original 4976, over a 10% increase, not too shabby, this was with out any voltage increases, which were set by the bios at 1.60v

Finally Manual override of RIVA, 400 core, 1200 Mem (mild increase over Riva max)

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/400mhz 1200mhz oc on 6800 ultra max manual overide of Riva Test.JPG

Significant decliine in performance 5097 score, so since I don't have my 3 case fans in yet, I'm going to stick with the Riva setting and then once vented and cool I'll play a bit with voltage a bit and monitor temps.

P.S. Temps never got above 85c

So I'm happy with this tweak, can't wait for the HSF and Memory and see how that affects everything!

David

P.S. Again thank you for your help with Riva and pointing me in the right direction for OC'n my 6800U :)

Sunin said:
Results of my OC efforts on my 6800U

Pre anything just straight 6800U before tweaks:

Round 1 OC core to 385 (10% oc)

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/385mhz oc on 6800 ultra.JPG

Round 2 OC core to 385, Mem to 1150

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/385mhz 1150mhz oc on 6800 ultra.JPG

Round 3 OC core to 398, Mem to 1170, which is max that would test on Riva

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/398mhz 1170mhz oc on 6800 ultra max per Riva.JPG

Result 5556 on 3dMark05 from the original 4976, over a 10% increase, not too shabby, this was with out any voltage increases, which were set by the bios at 1.60v

Finally Manual override of RIVA, 400 core, 1200 Mem (mild increase over Riva max)

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/400mhz 1200mhz oc on 6800 ultra max manual overide of Riva Test.JPG

Significant decliine in performance 5097 score, so since I don't have my 3 case fans in yet, I'm going to stick with the Riva setting and then once vented and cool I'll play a bit with voltage a bit and monitor temps.

P.S. Temps never got above 85c

So I'm happy with this tweak, can't wait for the HSF and Memory and see how that affects everything!

David

P.S. Again thank you for your help with Riva and pointing me in the right direction for OC'n my 6800U :)

very nice :)

wait so the first 3 were via riva auto clock ? and then you did a manual oc and got a lower score ? thats very odd, did you oc it in the 3d tab ? riva has two tabs, 2d oc and 3d oc, if you oc in the 2d tab the ram will oc in both but the core will stay stock for 3d

you are welcome, my pleasure :)

D

ZL1 said:
very nice :)

wait so the first 3 were via riva auto clock ? and then you did a manual oc and got a lower score ? thats very odd, did you oc it in the 3d tab ? riva has two tabs, 2d oc and 3d oc, if you oc in the 2d tab the ram will oc in both but the core will stay stock for 3d

you are welcome, my pleasure :)

D

Yes first 3 were with Riva auto clock? I made the 1 change to disable the test, and then moved to 400/1200 and ran 3dMark05 again and got that sorry score.

Yes OC'd in the 3d performance tab. I will try it again tonight some with the arrival of more OC'n goodies, 2g performance ram and a Zalman 9500. I was very surprised as well. It did not overheat either, so I can only imagine that it had some major issue at that speed, weird thing was no artifacts... hrmph I'll try again. I was thinking it might have been a voltage thing at that speed as i was running 1.6v. If you don't get it right the first time play some more!

David

Sunin said:
Yes first 3 were with Riva auto clock? I made the 1 change to disable the test, and then moved to 400/1200 and ran 3dMark05 again and got that sorry score.

Yes OC'd in the 3d performance tab. I will try it again tonight some with the arrival of more OC'n goodies, 2g performance ram and a Zalman 9500. I was very surprised as well. It did not overheat either, so I can only imagine that it had some major issue at that speed, weird thing was no artifacts... hrmph I'll try again. I was thinking it might have been a voltage thing at that speed as i was running 1.6v. If you don't get it right the first time play some more!

David

try setting the mhz to same as riva's auto oc and see if the 3dmark is the same (also sometimes you need to run 3mark a few times to get the right score, I usually run it 3 times at each step)

D

ZL1 said:
try setting the mhz to same as riva's auto oc and see if the 3dmark is the same (also sometimes you need to run 3mark a few times to get the right score, I usually run it 3 times at each step)

D

I have run 3dmark05 about 5 times at Riva Auto OC and it is consistent 5500 scores.

Again tried the 400/1200, this time after it ran I opened up Riva to confirm settings

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/400m...a max manual overide of Riva Test 2nd try.JPG

Another lack luster performance. I can tell I'll have fun playing with this today after the new HSF and ram. I'm going to slowly tweak things and try to get both 3d and PC scores as I go to see overall boosts.

David

Sunin said:
I have run 3dmark05 about 5 times at Riva Auto OC and it is consistent 5500 scores.

Again tried the 400/1200, this time after it ran I opened up Riva to confirm settings

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/400m...a max manual overide of Riva Test 2nd try.JPG

Another lack luster performance. I can tell I'll have fun playing with this today after the new HSF and ram. I'm going to slowly tweak things and try to get both 3d and PC scores as I go to see overall boosts.

David

try setting it to 398/1170 like the auto did and see if you get the same (as auto no3) score, if you do then the card simply doesnt like 400/1200

D

ZL1 said:
try setting it to 398/1170 like the auto did and see if you get the same (as auto no3) score, if you do then the card simply doesnt like 400/1200

D

I'm trying something a bit different right now... running 398/1250 (3dMark05 score of 4891 that is below stock setting score), but I am getting black artifacts now. I an tell performance is down too. I'm going to then set mem to 1170 and up the core to 410 and see how it peformance that way. (4843 with that setup)

Systematic approach should = results.

But as far as I can see the memory does not like the 1200 mark. LOL core doesn't like over 400 either... artifacts at 410 with mem at 1170. Going to reset to 398/1170 and test it with out the Auto Clock on and see if it is something with Riva liking to set the OC? It just did not like it when Riva was not testing it... I got a lame score at 398/1170 when manually set and overriding the Riva Test (4980 with that last try)

Now back to Riva Auto OC,hmm now the memory does not want to OC to 1170 with Auto OC, guessing I heated it up maybe... ?

Finally - noticed something ODD... when I let the bios Auto set voltage on the vid card it was pushing it to 1.8v (But only after I would OC it past what Riva Auto OC'd)... so I hard core set it to 1.6v and am going to run some more OC tests... sigh... hate when flaky things like that happen... Also it never overheated so I guess its not horrible, but odd! Re-ran at 398/1170 Auto OC by Riva at 1.6v and 5567 score again. So now to take off Auto OC by Riva and set to 398/1170 and see if it is equal... Something with going power user jumped the V setting or something weird...

LOL just for shyte's and giggles I set voltage to 1.5v the lowest setting and reran at default Riva Auto OC and was no worse off (5577)

Woot new settings 1.5v, 415mhz Core, 1150mhz mem = 5726 3dMark05, hardly any artifacting. Going to back it down to 410/1150 for everyday use I think... Plus i get no artificating at all at this setting which makes me feel better. Final 3dMark05 at 1.5v, 410/1150 = 5641 Might inch up the memory speed a touch to like 1160 if Riva Lets me with out artifacts.

David

Here is the processor, it took me nearly 30 minutes to clean off the heat pad that was on there. I used 91% isopropyl alcohol and a cotton pad. The thermal compound from the stock fan was pretty rock hard. Is that normal? I've never replaced a stock HSF in my life! LOL

After examining the image closely I went over it with a microfiber cloth that removed the lint particles as seen in the picture. Amazing what you can see with a 5mp camera. Those dust particals were not visible by the eye without extreme angels and moving around!

But based on this picture it looks like my processor is what type?

http://www.600hpmiata.com/pics/My Processor.JPG

P.S. it is shiny silver in person, not sure why it showed up brownish in the picture

I'm trying to look up the codes now on intel's sight. Hahaha I still look up all the codes and some call it Gallatin and some call it Northwood Extreme, ah whatever.. Just guess I'll list the SL7AA. :)

David

But first pictures of the HSF install of the Zalman 9500.

Just happens that the Old Intel Fan fits nicely over my open PCI slots, bonus cooling!
Pic 1
Pic2
Pic3

Nice shot of how the Zalman Vents directly into the rear exhaust fan!
Pic4
Pic5
Pic6

Installed an internal MB 79.8CFM Antec inside the case while I was at it.. should keep my memory cool, especially when I get the 2x1g's on Tuesday.
Final Pic

Result Case Temps went down from 35c to 22c
CPU Temps at idle went down from 39c to 28c

Nice improvements for an $82 investment.

David

P.S. whoever said the Zalman at full speed is loud, never had a stock intel HSF!

The other day I tried OC'n with a Stock Fan and realized when I could not run prime95 x 2 without spiking to 62c, that it was time for some cooling measures!

Today after all the above changes my temps are at 38c with both primes running

That's 24c cooler!!!! Which tells me 2 things. 1 - I got a good seating on the Zalman and 2 - This cooler is WAAAAY better then stock. (Read this is my first ever aftermarket HSF)

On with the fun after this burns in a bit... be back in 30 minutes with results, man I can feel the heat coming out of the back of the case from here... just amazing the difference!

After 30 minutes I'm at 43c, so what spiked to 62c in 2 minutes earlier this week, I could not even come close to after 30 minutes of 100% on both processors!

Wow stopped the tests and the temps dropped like 8c in maybe 10 seconds... very impressive HSF the Zalman 9500 is.

David

So what do you think my shutdown temp or max pushing temp should be? 55c, figuring in a 4c error rate? That way I never get over 59c, which as I read and learn is a pretty safe temp, right?

David

very nice, it all looks great !

the cpu is indeed a gallatin
the temps are great (that zalman is a good hsf and it sits very nicely [aerodynamics wise]), I would try not to hit 60C (gallatins have a 64C threshold)
btw creative use of the old hsf, I wouldnt have thought of that :)

D

P.S. keep the vcard at 1.5v, vcards dont need more than 1.5 unless highly oced (and Im talking extreeme overclocks with extreeme cooling)

Thanks its a work in progress...

Best I could do last night was 220.5/444/3582 with solid prime95 x2 running at 47c, funny thing is that is only 3c above what I was running at idle on the stock HSF 39-44c idle.. hahahaha. I think the ram is limiting me and I'm too tired tonight to futz with it... I moved it down to 200:133, but it didnt' like that.. maybe too slow... so tomorrow I will try for 225/166 or 225/200(if that is a ratio in the bios) But good news is with 220/440 I ran 3dMark05 again and topped 5752. So I'm slowly making improvements

Thing is its stable as all get out and temps are soooo much cooler then they ever were before.. even my Video card after a good cleaning and the old fan on the pci slots has dropped nearly 6c...

Case temps have dropped drastically too!

David

ZL1 said:
P.S. keep the vcard at 1.5v, vcards dont need more than 1.5 unless highly oced (and Im talking extreeme overclocks with extreeme cooling)

Except half the time I boot its defaulting to 1.7 or 1.8. I have to manually drop it back down to 1.5, even though in bios and AIbooster its set to 1.5... :rolleyes:

David

ZL1 said:
the temps are great (that zalman is a good hsf and it sits very nicely [aerodynamics wise]), I would try not to hit 60C (gallatins have a 64C threshold)

Man with pushing 3.6 and only hitting 47c, I doubt I will be limited by my processor on hitting 4ghz... every 100mhz its like 1-2c...

Any suggestions on voltage to the cpu? I've notice a few times the volts dropping off 1.47 and on that 225 runs I was doing that is when the sys would lock up... But it could be that and I have the mem too underclocked... I'll try keeping it closer to the 400 as I increment.

David

Sunin said:
Except half the time I boot its defaulting to 1.7 or 1.8. I have to manually drop it back down to 1.5, even though in bios and AIbooster its set to 1.5... :rolleyes:

David

where are you reading the 1.7-1.8 from ? if its set to 1.5 in bios it shouldnt change

Sunin said:
Man with pushing 3.6 and only hitting 47c, I doubt I will be limited by my processor on hitting 4ghz... every 100mhz its like 1-2c...

Any suggestions on voltage to the cpu? I've notice a few times the volts dropping off 1.47 and on that 225 runs I was doing that is when the sys would lock up... But it could be that and I have the mem too underclocked... I'll try keeping it closer to the 400 as I increment.

David

sorry dont have any first hand experience with EEs so I cant advise you on the vcore, but honestly, considering how expensive this thing is, I wouldnt mess with the vcrore at all

D

ZL1 said:
where are you reading the 1.7-1.8 from ? if its set to 1.5 in bios it shouldnt change

sorry dont have any first hand experience with EEs so I cant advise you on the vcore, but honestly, considering how expensive this thing is, I wouldnt mess with the vcrore at all

D

Did some research today and found out the Bios setting of 1.55v is supposed to allow for 1.36 to 1.415v to get to the processor. Taking into account that at 1.575v I was dropping to 1.47v displayed, my min voltage was dropping below the recommended 1.36v to the cpu. I set all the settings back to normal as this:

225mhz / 2.75v Mem / 1:1 / 1.6v AGP / 3.6ghz and then adjusted the vcore (scary) to 1.6 (I did extrapolations in excel to determine that 1.63 would be the max I'd want to hit it wtih at 3.6ghz so I decided on mid way between 1.63 and 1.575). This now allows my processor under full load to range from 1.5-1.54. Never dropping below 1.5, which really seems to be the sweet spot on my board. I then ran prime95 x 2 for 30 minutes with a Temp of 49c, solid as a rock! Ugh, I hit Screen capture and the computer locks up after 30 minutes of prime, not sure if it was the print screen that did it or what... :(

The other curious thing I noticed is under other tests when voltage woudl drop off I'd always be under clocking on the mhz. IE 225mhz x 16 should = 3.6ghz, and I'd be showing 3598 or 99, Do you think this is an indication of that under voltage. IE mhz is going to drop as voltage does until at some point it stalls out.

Final thoughts memory seems to be holding up fine for cheapo ram! 400mhz is at 450mhz and running solid, I plan to do some tests soon on the memory just to isolate what the max memory OC is on these.

Anyone's thoughts or help is appreciated!

David

Sunin said:
Did some research today and found out the Bios setting of 1.55v is supposed to allow for 1.36 to 1.415v to get to the processor. Taking into account that at 1.575v I was dropping to 1.47v displayed, my min voltage was dropping below the recommended 1.36v to the cpu. I set all the settings back to normal as this:

225mhz / 2.75v Mem / 1:1 / 1.6v AGP / 3.6ghz and then adjusted the vcore (scary) to 1.6 (I did extrapolations in excel to determine that 1.63 would be the max I'd want to hit it wtih at 3.6ghz so I decided on mid way between 1.63 and 1.575). This now allows my processor under full load to range from 1.5-1.54. Never dropping below 1.5, which really seems to be the sweet spot on my board. I then ran prime95 x 2 for 30 minutes with a Temp of 49c, solid as a rock! Ugh, I hit Screen capture and the computer locks up after 30 minutes of prime, not sure if it was the print screen that did it or what... :(

The other curious thing I noticed is under other tests when voltage woudl drop off I'd always be under clocking on the mhz. IE 225mhz x 16 should = 3.6ghz, and I'd be showing 3598 or 99, Do you think this is an indication of that under voltage. IE mhz is going to drop as voltage does until at some point it stalls out.

Final thoughts memory seems to be holding up fine for cheapo ram! 400mhz is at 450mhz and running solid, I plan to do some tests soon on the memory just to isolate what the max memory OC is on these.

Anyone's thoughts or help is appreciated!

David

where did you get the 1.36-1.41 info from ? actually 1.55v in bios means 1.60 at idle and 1.50 at load on these boards, they have a +/- 0.1v between idle and full load and the only way to get around this is to pick up a soldering iron and mod it

if the comp locked it means the cpu is still unstable, it would have locked even if you didnt hit prt scr

dont worry about those small mhz fluctuations, they happen all the time, if you watch cpuz for a while even at idle you'll see it

Happy New Year ! :)

D

btw: your psu is high quality, but since you're running quite a few fans, a 6800U and ocing Id say open everest and monitor the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rail under full cpu load, make sure they dont drop more than 3-5%

D

ZL1 said:
where did you get the 1.36-1.41 info from ? actually 1.55v in bios means 1.60 at idle and 1.50 at load on these boards, they have a +/- 0.1v between idle and full load and the only way to get around this is to pick up a soldering iron and mod it

if the comp locked it means the cpu is still unstable, it would have locked even if you didnt hit prt scr

dont worry about those small mhz fluctuations, they happen all the time, if you watch cpuz for a while even at idle you'll see it

Happy New Year ! :)

D

The voltage info is from Intel's pdf on voltage. Document: 29864312.pdf on page 25 it details the specs of the Mobo setting of 1.55 providing the voltage that I described.

Also my system will reboot at 1.625v, so max I can push is 1.6v. I'm seeing a lot of limitations that I didnt' think I would be faced with as I am OC'n

But with some tweakin I'm at 3.6ghz stable.

Happy New Year!!!

ZL1 said:
btw: your psu is high quality, but since you're running quite a few fans, a 6800U and ocing Id say open everest and monitor the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rail under full cpu load, make sure they dont drop more than 3-5%

D

I will do that, thanks for the heads up. 3.26, 4.84, 11.80 all less then 5% changes

Picked up a new trick today start | run | MSCONFIG

set to diagnostic and it loads windows minimally, a lot less closing programs!! :)

Sunin said:
The voltage info is from Intel's pdf on voltage. Document: 29864312.pdf on page 25 it details the specs of the Mobo setting of 1.55 providing the voltage that I described.

Also my system will reboot at 1.625v, so max I can push is 1.6v. I'm seeing a lot of limitations that I didnt' think I would be faced with as I am OC'n

But with some tweakin I'm at 3.6ghz stable.

Happy New Year!!!

oh I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about what vcore is being supplied by the mobo if bios is set to x.xx
ur complicating things man, you really dont have to figure out the vcc, just run prime and if prime fails it means the vcc dropped too low and the cpu missed a 1

D

Sunin said:
I will do that, thanks for the heads up. 3.26, 4.84, 11.80 all less then 5% changes

Picked up a new trick today start | run | MSCONFIG

set to diagnostic and it loads windows minimally, a lot less closing programs!! :)

IMO they are a bit low, but they are not the cause of the locks, if the psu was the cause youd get reboots

yep thats a good trick for benching :)

D

Back