First time custom water - hardline

You may be able to run 90degree fittings between the cards, if you can put them further apart... But what resolution are you gaming at?

Even flexible tube between cards can be tricky. At one point I was running 2x 7970's, both reference designs, with different water blocks. The ports on the blocks were roughly the same height, but offset a little bit. Because the distance is so short, even with flexible tubing it was very very difficult to get the tubing connected. With the difference in PCB height, you're now adding another dimension to complicate things further. Again, not saying its going to be impossible, but if you're still going to go through the hassle of a hard tube build, putting some kind of kludge together just seems counter to the whole point of doing a hard tube build to begin with.

I don't see the problem. use the fittings on the top side of the top card, then use the fittings pointing down on the bottom card. it works whether they are in series or parallel.

For the Visual minded. this will allow you to use different height cards with out an issue

Attachments

• Sample.png
    Sample.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 84
Updated.

Attachments

• 20160309_183958.jpg
    20160309_183958.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20160309_184339.jpg
    20160309_184339.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Beautiful, and I wouldn't worry about the motherboard block- it shouldn't be very restrictive (if I remember correctly).

Buy more than you think you need and then a bunch extra. Its really quite easy to mess up. While you can re-purpose bits from scrapped long bends for shorter ones, you will make mistakes. I think I bought 24' for my rig (2 packs of 4x36") and probably went through 15-18'

Buy more than you think you need and then a bunch extra. Its really quite easy to mess up. While you can re-purpose bits from scrapped long bends for shorter ones, you will make mistakes. I think I bought 24' for my rig (2 packs of 4x36") and probably went through 15-18'

Yup - be prepared to use 2-3x what you think you'll need, and be prepared to mess up, a lot. It takes some patience to learn.

The only one of those I can answer is that you will need hardline fittings- barbs are for flex tube that you can push over the barbs. Hardline would (afaik) crack.
And if EK sells the tube, it should fit their fittings, unless there is something really silly going on.

Yea, you can mix tubes, just be careful about the fittings. As far as fans, I stumbled onto Thermaltake Riings that look sweet in my black and white setup, but there are many good fans these days- just get the high pressure type for the rads...

A D5 pump is not a 'small pump', as it is probably one of the BEST for WC loops, I would only ever suggest annother D5 if you need more pressure.

Also, I can't see if you have done this before, but can you post all the components you wish to cool?

You have a Titan Block as well as a 980 Ti block, do you have two different GPUs there, and if so, whyyyyy!?

I got ya: for some reason I thought you were running a Titan X and a 980Ti in the same system!

But yeah, those two radiators should cool that down with no issues. You'll have a pretty beasty loop once its all done!

Shouldn't matter- go with whatever makes the tubes easy to run. Did you have fill/bleed in the pump / res?

Last edited:
Honestly, as long as you can get water in with no fuss or spilling it's all good- I use a funnel and patience for the most part, and then top off with a lab bottle (bottom feed, straw out the top), and make sure you use the power supply jumper trick to run just the pump for filling. You don't want to 'oops' a motherboard that pretty!

Oh- that'a hella expensive, I'd double check that you need that many fittings... A loop isn't cheap, but I only have about $75 in it (less blocks and pumps). Mind, it's all soft tube...

Ah- gotcha! and, if you can put the case in a big sink or tub just open the drain point and then crack the loop at the top somewhere and it will dump in 30 sec...

GL! And, you can use distilled for leak checking and use the (assumed expensive) EK coolant when you are sure the setup is good to go.

Exactly right! Don't be bothered if you feel it's not good enough to post- if you show what you came up with I'll dig up my first (soft tube) setup... Not pretty (but it worked).

Exactly right! Don't be bothered if you feel it's not good enough to post- if you show what you came up with I'll dig up my first (soft tube) setup... Not pretty (but it worked).
I feel the same way about it. My wiring / tubing might look bad, but at the end of the day it is watertight and still cools what I need it to.

Good luck on the hardline tubing adventure OP! I considered doing it as well due to the looks and lack of leaching from soft tubing, but I'm kinda weirded out how it would work with my system. I use an external radiator which complicates things a bit. You are going to love seeing your CPU / GPU's at low temps. I still remember the first time I cooled a GPU and couldn't believe the temp drop.

Back