First Revolution screens

Zelda II is a rehash of the original? You haven't played either have you?

Edit: Beaten to it, boohoo...

So how is the new Mario DS a rehash of Mario 1 and 3? Have you played it yet? If you have, please give us your impressions, since you'd be the only one on the 'net who's played anything aside from a 5 minute demo :p

steviep said:
So how is the new Mario DS a rehash of Mario 1 and 3? Have you played it yet? If you have, please give us your impressions, since you'd be the only one on the 'net who's played anything aside from a 5 minute demo :p

And there was no "Metroid II", but nice try :)

there was a metroid II... it was on the gameboy.. i had it.. that was the first time they had "evolved metroids"... don't you remember super metroid?? the little baby metroid that gets stolen at the begining??? that baby metroid is the one that follows you around at the end of metroid II...

You're right. I thought it was called something else, similar to the name change of "Super Metroid". Regardless... was it a rehash? I didn't have the original GBA and am looking forward to some of its games to be available for download on the DS, if they announce such a feature :)

steviep said:
You're right. I thought it was called something else, similar to the name change of "Super Metroid". Regardless... was it a rehash? I didn't have the original GBA and am looking forward to some of its games to be available for download on the DS, if they announce such a feature :)

oh..I don't think it was a rehash.. that's where they spider ball was introduced actually.. i loved it...

I meant Metroid II Prime Echos.

The DS Mario certainly looks very similar and if you read the reviews the first level is almost identical to another Mario.

cb9fl said:

The DS Mario certainly looks very similar and if you read the reviews the first level is almost identical to another Mario.

ooohhhh.. heheh

it's actually metroid Prime 2: echos..

yea.. you're right on that one.. it is pretty much the same thing except tweaked graphics and new features with the guns...

cb9fl said:

Yeah, according to interviews with the developers, it looks similar on purpose. And just because the first level is similar to the first level in Super Mario Brothers (which will be kinda cool to go through with the more 3D look) doesn't hardly mean that the game is a rehash of anygame.

I'll give you Metroid Prime 2, though I did enjoy it.

You certainly can't base the fact that the first level in Mario DS "looks similar" to Super Mario Bros (it's called a 'throwback') and it certainly doesn't qualify to being a rehash on those grounds. That would be the same as calling Majora's Mask a rehash of Ocarina of Time, which I would laugh at. I'd argue that with all the screens I've seen on Mario DS, there are hordes of new game elements on a handful of screens alone... including multiplayer co-op.

Metroid Prime II... alright, that's closer to being a rehash than anything else you've listed, that's for sure. But is that all you can think of, in comparison to what I can think of for other platforms? We have Mario Party, we have Metroid Prime II (neither of which were made by Nintendo, believe it or not)... how many years has Nintendo been around, again?

steviep said:
You certainly can't base the fact that the first level in Mario DS "looks similar" to Super Mario Bros (it's called a 'throwback') and it certainly doesn't qualify to being a rehash on those grounds. That would be the same as calling Majora's Mask a rehash of Ocarina of Time, which I would laugh at. I'd argue that with all the screens I've seen on Mario DS, there are hordes of new game elements on a handful of screens alone... including multiplayer co-op.

Metroid Prime II... alright, that's closer to being a rehash than anything else you've listed, that's for sure. But is that all you can think of, in comparison to what I can think of for other platforms? We have Mario Party, we have Metroid Prime II (neither of which were made by Nintendo, believe it or not)... how many years has Nintendo been around, again?

Are we forgetting the Pokemon era?

Lamont said:
That was GameFreaks. And they still sell tons for some reason.

Also, remember that pokemon has a much different target audience. They're intentionally going after kids who just want more of the same.

I'm still waiting for some more examples of Nintendo rehashes... I'm actually having a hard time thinking of any more.

steviep said:
I'm still waiting for some more examples of Nintendo rehashes... I'm actually having a hard time thinking of any more.

c'mon man, stop looking at specifics. Any game that deals with mario, or has hints of mario/friends in it is a rehash and there are tons of them.

I'm not knocking it now that I htink about it. If it sells then it is a good idea. Just don't come out here and say N is the ultimate innovator when each "next new controller/gimmick.....cough virtual boy cough...." has pretty much failed.

Yes, FPS's do it to. So we are even. I'll give you that.

Yuo still should just give it up and admit MS is the one who brought decent online gaming to the console areana.

Alright guys, get on topic. It's been off topic for about 10002322435666867 pages and it's getting old.

Firewall said:
c'mon man, stop looking at specifics. Any game that deals with mario, or has hints of mario/friends in it is a rehash and there are tons of them.

I'm not knocking it now that I htink about it. If it sells then it is a good idea. Just don't come out here and say N is the ultimate innovator when each "next new controller/gimmick.....cough virtual boy cough...." has pretty much failed.

Yes, FPS's do it to. So we are even. I'll give you that.

Yuo still should just give it up and admit MS is the one who brought decent online gaming to the console areana.

Nintendo brought it, Sega made it viable, and Microsoft made it work really well and made it profitable. So yes, you have me there. But what the hell does that have anything to do with anything?

Are you seriously telling me that
a) all games with Mario and such in them (regardless whether they are completely different genres?!!!) are rehashes? Are you freaking serious? I hope for your own sake that you are being sarcastic, because that notion is just stupid.

b) Nintendo's innovations all fail? (Virtual Boy failed... but do you know why your XBox controller shake? or why there is a directional cross-pad on it, or why they have analog controls on them? or why they look the way they do, even?!)

c) [back on topic] that this Red Steel game ISN'T innovative?! personally, this is the first FPS title since Half Life 2 that I'm actually looking forward to playing

steviep said:
a) all games with Mario and such in them (regardless whether they are completely different genres?!!!) are rehashes? Are you freaking serious? I hope for your own sake that you are being sarcastic, because that notion is just stupid.
Mario Tennis -> Mario Power Tennis. Mario Kart -> Mario Kart: Double Dash. Super Smash Bros. -> Super Smash Bros. Melee. Just because some new gameplay elements were added doesn't mean that they're vastly different games.

steviep said:
b) Nintendo's innovations all fail? (Virtual Boy failed... but do you know why your XBox controller shake? or why there is a directional cross-pad on it, or why they have analog controls on them? or why they look the way they do, even?!)
Nintendo's innovations don't all fail... but a number of them get replaced by things that work better. For example, the idea of the Rumble Pak was good, but actually embedding it in the controller like Sony did was even better. But, the N64's 3-pronged controller was absolutely horrible. Analog buttons on the PS2 controller, that allowed for pressure-sensitivity to alter gameplay, was quite innovative, I think.

steviep said:
c) [back on topic] that this Red Steel game ISN'T innovative?! personally, this is the first FPS title since Half Life 2 that I'm actually looking forward to playing
The game itself probably isn't very innovative. I guess you could consider its ability to use the Revmote to be, though. Would you consider the first PC FPS to allow use of the mouse as innovative?

gamz247 said:
...Analog buttons on the PS2 controller, that allowed for pressure-sensitivity to alter gameplay, was quite innovative, I think.

I tried to test this a long while back actually. I never found it possible to use them since there was no room for variation. Once you click on it it is very hard to get it to idle between fully pushed and not pushed at all. The only real anaog buttons this round were the dreamcast, xbox and gamecube shoulder buttons.

Darakian said:
I tried to test this a long while back actually. I never found it possible to use them since there was no room for variation. Once you click on it it is very hard to get it to idle between fully pushed and not pushed at all. The only real anaog buttons this round were the dreamcast, xbox and gamecube shoulder buttons.
It's been a while since I've played Madden 2003 on my PS2, but I thought that on that game you could tap the button lightly to throw a floater pass, or mash it to throw a rocket. I know this is the case with Madden 2005 on my XBox.

On Hot Shots Golf Fore! though, if you press the swing button with the precise amount of pressure, you can get an even "more perfect" shot.

gamz247 said:
It's been a while since I've played Madden 2003 on my PS2, but I thought that on that game you could tap the button lightly to throw a floater pass, or mash it to throw a rocket. I know this is the case with Madden 2005 on my XBox.

On Hot Shots Golf Fore! though, if you press the swing button with the precise amount of pressure, you can get an even "more perfect" shot.

I'm not saying the buttons are not analoge just that physically there is almost 0 amount of room between the button being fully pressed down and not pressed down at all.

gamz247 said:
Mario Tennis -> Mario Power Tennis. Mario Kart -> Mario Kart: Double Dash. Super Smash Bros. -> Super Smash Bros. Melee. Just because some new gameplay elements were added doesn't mean that they're vastly different games.

By that logic, what would you consider Halo 2? Or Gran Turismo 4? Or GTA 3: SA?

Nintendo's innovations don't all fail... but a number of them get replaced by things that work better. For example, the idea of the Rumble Pak was good, but actually embedding it in the controller like Sony did was even better. But, the N64's 3-pronged controller was absolutely horrible. Analog buttons on the PS2 controller, that allowed for pressure-sensitivity to alter gameplay, was quite innovative, I think.

N64 controller = great for FPS despite its design flaws. I don't think any of Nintendo's innovations have truly failed, aside from a few isolated examples.

The game itself probably isn't very innovative. I guess you could consider its ability to use the Revmote to be, though. Would you consider the first PC FPS to allow use of the mouse as innovative?

No, I wouldn't... unless they found some cool new ways to use that mouse... as they have with the Revmote in this one :p (grenade throwing, katana slashing, all by moving your hand? awesome). I have a feeling this will be one of the games that shows the potential of the Revmote.

gamz247 said:
But, the N64's 3-pronged controller was absolutely horrible.
Aside from the analog stick that detoriated over time, what was so bad about it? I think it was way better than the PS1 controller.

KillerMonkey said:
Aside from the analog stick that detoriated over time, what was so bad about it? I think it was way better than the PS1 controller.

was that really a problem for a lot of people? i must've logged hundreds of hours on my N64, and the analog stick still works perfectly. i can understand if you played a lot of the first mario party (and those stupid "rotate the joystick as fast as you can" games), but sometimes i wonder what people are doing to get their controllers as fucked up as the demo units at best buy.

ScotteusMaximus said:
was that really a problem for a lot of people? i must've logged hundreds of hours on my N64, and the analog stick still works perfectly. i can understand if you played a lot of the first mario party (and those stupid "rotate the joystick as fast as you can" games), but sometimes i wonder what people are doing to get their controllers as fucked up as the demo units at best buy.
It wasn't a huge problem for me, but it certainly lost precision over the years. Back when I was playing Goldeneye with my friends, I remember we would swap controllers every now and then to make sure nobody was stuck with an inferior controller. :)

Dude I loved The N64 controller for goldeneye and for Zelda:OoT
The only thing I didn't like about it was the 6 button front, sometimes you could miss one "c"..

my friends and I still play n64, w/ the same controllers we got when it was released. Aside from the joystick breaking off on one of the cheap 3rd party ones (and one I bought whose joystick wouldn't snap back right out of the box), they've all been fine.

Orange.exe said:
my friends and I still play n64, w/ the same controllers we got when it was released. Aside from the joystick breaking off on one of the cheap 3rd party ones (and one I bought whose joystick wouldn't snap back right out of the box), they've all been fine.
That's interesting. Maybe Nintendo made two different versions of the controller. One with crappy analog sticks and another with the good stuff?

ps: Oops, I think we're veering a bit off-topic here.

More Red Steel Screens, Dont know if these have been posted yet.

vsnseo.jpg

Well, they look like horribly washed out scans, that were taken with a SCSI scanner from the 80's, that also adds artifacts. There has to be a cleaner source somewhere on the 'net.

Naldo said:
More Red Steel Screens, Dont know if these have been posted yet.

vsnseo.jpg

Looks fun, I haven't been able to see any of the links from the O.P. since they are all still broken.

steviep said:
Well, they look like horribly washed out scans, that were taken with a SCSI scanner from the 80's, that also adds artifacts. There has to be a cleaner source somewhere on the 'net.

are you dissapointed at teh shots?

They don't look as good as the concept renders, no question. But they don't look bad either. I would like to see a better source, though, because it looks like they were scanned using a floodlight or something. lol (a cleaner source/scan would be much easier to gauge)

Back