• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First real X-Fi review

<insert joke about wanting a real review, not one from Tom's>

(but thanks for the headsup)

(ok, now that I've read it...I wish mine would hurry up and get here. :) )
 
so judging from the review. it shows no reason to get the version w/ x-ram. Tom's said that they noticed at the most a 1-2fps increase in games that have been optimized for the x-ram. Does this mean us poor guys should just get the basic version is the Fatality FPS version offers no improvement?
 
Looks like the bare minimum version for me... I want to see this reviewed by audiophile places though.
 
Xeero said:
so judging from the review. it shows no reason to get the version w/ x-ram. Tom's said that they noticed at the most a 1-2fps increase in games that have been optimized for the x-ram. Does this mean us poor guys should just get the basic version is the Fatality FPS version offers no improvement?

Its a bit more than that based on the XRAM-optimized version of UT2004.

Anyway, I would only consider the XRAM version (at the current price, at least) if it enables additional higher-quality content.
 
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050818/creative_x-fi-10.html

From the picture here, it looks like they fixed the subwoofer gain issue. There is a checkbox that says "Subwoofer Gain (+15dB)". Although I'd imagine you'd have to turn this on or off depending on the content and/or speaker system you are using. Also, if it is really fixed, it kind of eliminates ONE of the reasons for getting the DTS-610. I still don't exactly get why they couldn't have done the same thing with the Audigy 2.
 
thomase said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050818/creative_x-fi-10.html

From the picture here, it looks like they fixed the subwoofer gain issue. There is a checkbox that says "Subwoofer Gain (+15dB)". Although I'd imagine you'd have to turn this on or off depending on the content and/or speaker system you are using. Also, if it is really fixed, it kind of eliminates ONE of the reasons for getting the DTS-610. I still don't exactly get why they couldn't have done the same thing with the Audigy 2.

That's ridiculous. All they did was jack up the weak signal for the LFE instead of the card receiving and processing the LFE signal as it was meant? :rolleyes:

Sure geniuses in that, Creative. :rolleyes: I'm damned sure it can be done for the Audigy.
 
is it me or does it seem like the x-fi just seems like a software update from previous cards instead of an actual hardware improvement
 
ajm786 said:
That's ridiculous. All they did was jack up the weak signal for the LFE instead of the card receiving and processing the LFE signal as it was meant? :rolleyes:

Sure geniuses in that, Creative. :rolleyes: I'm damned sure it can be done for the Audigy.

I thought the lack of this amplification WAS the problem with bass redirection in the Audigy 2. The AC3 specification says that the LFE channel is recorded 10dB lower than the other channels, and it is expected that the receiver/amp will compensate by amplifying the LFE channel by and extra 10dB to balance it out. Creative speaker systems do this automatically, so they don't do it with the soundcard because they don't want to blow out the sub on a Creative speaker system. This causes problems with other speaker systems that don't behave the same or receivers with multi-channel inputs that don't allow you to amplify the different channels separately. Maybe I don't understand correctly? Does the Audigy 2 even use the LFE channel from decoded AC3/DTS content?
 
Xeero said:
is it me or does it seem like the x-fi just seems like a software update from previous cards instead of an actual hardware improvement
My thoughts exactly!

toms said:
X-Fi brings so many innovations to the table that it's difficult to experience them completely in just a few days.
;) ha.

It really seems like most of these new "features" are geared to people with cheap speakers/headphones to try and "fake" good sound. That's just what im pulling from the reviews so far. I'm not a fan of all this fake 3D stuff.

Also, I really hate the Idea of having to go into the software and switch a "dial" from gamer to entertainment just to get certain features of the card........................... man, that's really a turn off right there, and may prevent me from getting it because I just don't see myself going into the software all the time to switch a silly "dial" to get certain features. (that, and it does'nt have digital coaxial output/input on the card itself) (oh, and I guess the fact that it requires external power)

You know what it reminds me of, cheap digital camers that use this horrible "mode dial", where only certain features are availible on "certain" modes... like full shutter speed. At least there its a physical dial....... and you don't have to go through 6 layers of menues just to get to it.

Hm, too bad.
 
towert7 said:
My thoughts exactly!


;) ha.

It really seems like most of these new "features" are geared to people with cheap speakers/headphones to try and "fake" good sound. That's just what im pulling from the reviews so far. I'm not a fan of all this fake 3D stuff.

Also, I really hate the Idea of having to go into the software and switch a "dial" from gamer to entertainment just to get certain features of the card........................... man, that's really a turn off right there, and may prevent me from getting it because I just don't see myself going into the software all the time to switch a silly "dial" to get certain features. (that, and it does'nt have digital coaxial output/input on the card itself) (oh, and I guess the fact that it requires external power)

You know what it reminds me of, cheap digital camers that use this horrible "mode dial", where only certain features are availible on "certain" modes... like full shutter speed. At least there its a physical dial....... and you don't have to go through 6 layers of menues just to get to it.

Hm, too bad.


What do you mean by "fake 3D stuff"? People do their PhD theses on this so-called "fake 3D stuff". As it has been said over and over, if you simply want bit-accurate output of your music without any fancy stuff, this is not the card for you. Skepticism about the Crystalizer is warranted because we don't really know much about it. However, the "fake 3D stuff" based upon years of research by Creative, Aureal, and Sensaura is not BS.
 
More thoughts about bass redirection:

Clearly, everything is OK if you use the onboard AC3/DTS decoder. The decoding process MUST output an LFE channel with the full range of line out voltage levels if everything is OK as the chart claims. Maybe when using the crossover, you need to extract the bass from all the channels with a low-pass filter AND scale up the result an extra 10-15dB or whatever. Creative speakers do this right, but perhaps they simply don't have the leftover DSP power to do this in the Audigy 2. Certainly, they can't just have an amp on the LFE analog output because that would mess up AC3/DTS decoded material which is already at the right level. Maybe the KX drivers can handle it because either they are not doing a whole bunch of other stuff to use up the DSP, or they scale up EVERYTHING on the LFE channel, resulting in problems when outputing AC3/DTS decoded material (which it might not do anyway). People with receivers who have independent amp control for their bass channel (even on the discrete analog input) can handle this but the rest are out of luck. The only thing the volume knob on the subwoofer does is attenuate - ie. it can't amp up the signal higher than what the amp already gives it.

Can anyone correct me?
 
thomase said:
However, the "fake 3D stuff" based upon years of research by Creative, Aureal, and Sensaura is not BS.
Maybe to you its not, but to me it's not something im fond of.
And don't forget, just because people going for PhD's dedicate time to something, does'nt mean its right, good, smart, correct, or worth the while in my book. And from my point of view, only my book counts ^_^.
But you knew that already.

~Enjoy
 
What's up with their test of the resampler? A 997 Hz tone may resample just fine, but how about a music sample? And the first 6 pages look like they were copied verbatim from the Creative website... Oh, and their summaries of "In practice" are nicely vague. "Better rendering of multi-channel sources (Dolby Digital, DTS) if you have a quality 5.1 speaker kit"? Well, I wonder if there's anyone who could sell me a quality set?

Another wonderful review from THG. At least now I know Creative hasn't earned my $130 (or my $400! for that price it better do dishes too!)...
 
from page

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050818/creative_x-fi-12.html

I just read this and then I thought about what I posted in the other XFI thread....

I am thinking that all this does is

a) goose the db a bit
b) drop the low a bit
c) raise the high a bit

That sounds pretty worthless to me (stupid gimmics) but I bet will sell like mad.

also, read the top of this page

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050818/creative_x-fi-16.html

so it sucks enough power that some pcs wont boot? (note that they dont do any testing as to how much power it does suck). Also, note the test system, p4c, 4200ti, they tried to keep it as low powered as possible....hmmmm

not good, not good at all.
 
I was looking forward to pick up the Fatal1ty version, but now I'm not so sure. Why the hell would they institute this dial for gaming/entertainment modes? I can kind of understand them having a seperate mode for recording, but why only get half the features of the other two! Also, are the DACs much better on the $400 pro version than the Fatal1ty?
 
If past history is any indicator, getting anything above the basic version of the X-Fi would be pointless, unless you REALLY need some of those features.
 
Ok so bestbuy now has them IN STOCK i just picked one up. Was out getting Madden 06 for my PC and saw them ton the shelve, they have the Xtreme Music and Platinum... I picked up two of the Xtreme Music one for myself one for my father. What you guys will be interested to know is that it does in fact still have the onboard ram which I assume is X-Ram? Ill take a closer look and try to figure out how many mb of onboard ram this card has compared to the Fatal1ty. I was thrilled as hell to see these on the shelve, right next to a standalone audigy 4 which was only ike 69.99. Ill go format and be back later to answer questions, I work until 9 tnite so answers will likely come after that :)
 
So far Super Rip kicks ass, the audio tracks sound great when re-encoded, im def liking it, you can shut CMSS right off when youre playing tracks that were re-encoded as 24-bit 5.1 tracks which is kinda nice :) Anyways Ill post more feedback later, it takes a while to encode tracks though.
 
Im in buffalo, NY, Im not sure if they broke a street date? They had 2 more platinums and 2 more xtreme music versions :) I cant tell ya how surprised i was to actually see them on the shelf when I was there, they also have a scaled down audigy 4 now for 79.99...
 
Washington Square IN (Store 232)
9977 East Washington St
Cherry Tree Plaza
Indianapolis, IN 46229
Phone: 317-897-3941
Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-10:00pm
Sun 11:00am-7:00pm

Got 4, held one. Let's race!!!

*jumps in ride*


Haha, yeah. I'll be returning the Audigy *cough* 4 *cough* I picked up yesterday for the x-lovin. Can't wait to enable that last ellussive option in BF2...Ultra Quality!!!
 
LOL it does work and sounds great too :) Im glad I posted this, I know it sucks when at 9pm guys talk about it and stores are closed, i get to work tommorrow too but Sunday Im going to be messing around w/ this all day!
 
Ok one problem I think Ive found is that there arent and x64 drivers as of yet. I figured theyd be on the install disc but I had no luck finding them when browsing it... Hopefully those will be out soon!
 
if anyone can test it hooked up to a 5.1 receiver with the 6 analogue outputs and see how it sounds..
 
Headphone gaming improvement is worth every penny to a serious gamer.
Today, as we stand now, there is no difference in getting one of the XRAM verions vs a regular version, but presumably, features in games will come that will take advantage of the XRAM.
Judging by the stranglehold Creative has on the gaming software market, I believe them.

Maybe not the best review, but it told me what I needed to know, and convinced me to buy one.
 
The Xtreme Music and Platinum versions do contain onboard ram, but only 2Mb. I would imagine that having 64Mb of ram on even the Fatality/Elite cards will have little effect for quite some time, since games will most likely have to be specifically coded to take advantage of it.

Also it DOES have digital coax i/o on the card, but like with the previous audigys you'll need the usual 1/8 mono miniplug to rca adaptor.
 
if anyone can test it hooked up to a 5.1 receiver with the 6 analogue outputs and see how it sounds..

I just nabbed one from Best Buy as well. (The 199 Plat version -- a shame since I only want the card.)

Anyhow, finally my subwoofer works the way it should with analogue out to my receiver. What a difference in games, playing the Fear demo I can feel the thumps of my footsteps now.

Aside from that, I haven't really messed with all the supposed things the card can do. On the CD there's an option to enable X-fi in Doom 3. What it's actually doing is installing the 1.3 patch, X-fi was included in that patch? Sadly, Doom 3 crashes on me when I try to run it. Also, BF2, whenever I enable X-Fi it crashes to desktop. Crative's drivers at work? Maybe. Though I had an Audigy 2 before this, and I just uninstalled the drivers from the CP and installed the X-fi. Perhaps there's a conflict somewhere. Need to do a clean install soon.

- D.
 
DPGX said:
So far Super Rip kicks ass, the audio tracks sound great when re-encoded, im def liking it, you can shut CMSS right off when youre playing tracks that were re-encoded as 24-bit 5.1 tracks which is kinda nice :) Anyways Ill post more feedback later, it takes a while to encode tracks though.

how does it compare to your HDA Mystique 7.1?
 
wait wait wait, how is this even out yet?! newegg doesn't even have it, you type in Xi-Fi and nothing comes up :(
 
towert7 said:
And thus the problem with just reading the thread title is finally revealed.
That's the same review from the original post...............
^ lol

I was kinda disappointed that this thing doesn't even have a god damn heatsink on it. I was looking forward to another chip i could overvolt, overheat and overclock.
 
Woohoo for BB breaking dates again!!! Who knows. I don't recall even reading a release date and x-fi's latest countdown's about 8 days out still. Here's some pics of what you get with basic version...

*note the red paper*

The big bold "READ ME FIRST" ain't enough...it has to be in red paper
IMG_1861.jpg


Massively Multiplayer Marketing Mayhem
IMG_1865.jpg


The goods
IMG_1866.jpg


Sammy nugget!
IMG_1868.jpg



Here's the Samsung page on the memory. Wonder if it can be oced :D I'm in the middle of uninstall/wipe the crap out of creative stuff right now...
 
Ok,

When are Kyle and Steve gonna strap this thing to the bench and make it beg for mercy?


Also, since it's out now, I'm wondering when someone from Driverheaven (or wherever) will hack the X-fi drivers and apps to be used on Audigy 1 / Audigy 2 Live cards.......... (I am using hacked Audigy 2 drivrers on my Audigy 1)

:D
 
Back
Top