first pics of G80

The NVIDIA rep I talked to confirmed the 2xPCIE connectors.

chris.c said:
Damn, I was hoping for an external power brick, didn't want to have to upgrade my pcp&c 510w.
It's still a possibility that nVidia, possibly working with another manufacturer, will release some simple drive bay PSUs. If the power draw is really 300W per card, such a device would be a very near necessity for SLi.

In fact, wasn't OCZ working on these for some time?

Guys, this thing doesn't really draw 300W, that's just ridiculous. There are 2 6-pin connectors on there for safety, just like there was a single connector on the 6800's for safety. Remember everyone freaked out about that too, and it turned out that *some* of the chips dissipated barely over PCIe spec at full load, and so the extra connector was more of a 'safety margin' than a requirement. I'd guess that the 2nd 6-pin falls into this 'safety margin' catagory, and that the first is necessary, so the cards probably dissipate like 235W or so in the absolute worst full load bad die case.

phide said:
It's still a possibility that nVidia, possibly working with another manufacturer, will release some simple drive bay PSUs. If the power draw is really 300W per card, such a device would be a very near necessity for SLi.

Unfortunately I don't have any more drive bay real estate with a radiator and fans running along the inner top of my case. I would much rather see something like this:

trivia_v6k_9.jpg

Oh well.

Hmm... I'd been holding off upgrading my PC (it's AGP right now) for the release of the next-generation (DX10) cards like the G80.

But after seeing this, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Shades of FX5700 come to mind -- this much power consumption is probably going to put out a ton of heat and result in another video card that sounds like a vacuum cleaner from two rooms away.

I prefer to only buy every other generation of cards, and I have a 6800GT now... but if these things pull 220-300 watts, I'm thinking that maybe that's the generation to be skipped.

eXzite said:
...so the cards probably dissipate like 235W or so in the absolute worst full load bad die case.
235W, depending on the amperage, is still a considerable load for a power supply. I imagine that nVidia will recommend nothing less than a quality 600 watt power supply.

Thank God PCP&C is now making more cost effective units these days, with the Silencer 750 coming in at only $199.

I auctually wouldnt mind a external power supply as a option for a graphics card. Ati pics to come shortly im sure.

Vylanis said:
Hmm... I'd been holding off upgrading my PC (it's AGP right now) for the release of the next-generation (DX10) cards like the G80.

But after seeing this, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Shades of FX5700 come to mind -- this much power consumption is probably going to put out a ton of heat and result in another video card that sounds like a vacuum cleaner from two rooms away.

I prefer to only buy every other generation of cards, and I have a 6800GT now... but if these things pull 220-300 watts, I'm thinking that maybe that's the generation to be skipped.

Doubt it. NVIDIA learned its lesson with the FX series. They won't be making a similar mistake. You can quote me on that if you want :)
I think this card will run games @ 2560x1920, all the eye candy on (and maybe even more than that with the rumored new AA mode), with ease.
Now SLI it on an Intel based Quad-Core system and there's nothing you won't be able to run at max settings for a long while :)

Vylanis said:

Doubt it. NVIDIA learned its lesson with the FX series. They won't be making a similar mistake. You can quote me on that if you want :)
Plus, X1900 XTX are vacuum cleaners and still were bought by many people.
I think this card will run games @ 2560x1920, with all the eye candy on (and maybe even more than that with the rumored new AA mode), easily.
Now SLI it on an Intel based Quad-Core system and there's nothing you won't be able to run at max settings for a long time :D

phide said:

In fact, wasn't OCZ working on these for some time?

These types of devices have been out for awhile now. FSP (Fortron/Source) has had a respectable unit out for quite some time:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/10/review_fsp_booster_x3/

That cooler reminds me of the 6800 cooler - in fact that probably is... and ya i agree its LONG and ugly compared to my 7900gtx

Holy hell. That thing's going to be hot and power-hungry. Two SIX-PIN connectors? I hope they include some adapters. Also, it looks like I'll be sticking with my 7900GT for a while.

jebo_4jc said:
OMG NO WAI?
8800GTX w00t!!one

oh wait, that's what we've been saying all along. For the uninformed, "G80" is the code name for 8800GTX. So yes, you are correct, we are assuming this is an early sample of the 8800 GPU card of some sort.
yeah and he confirmed it for you

dagon11985 said:
The card isn't "that" big... yeah, its long... maybe an inch or so longer than other 7 series cards... but nothing insane.

Exactly... Remember the first 7950 gx2 cards that they used in in the Dells before quad sli came to the DIY crowd? They were just a little big... I think that when something is released to the public it will be smaller, (a little) and be a little more less ugly...

is the G80 going to be DX10 compatible?? Its all ready getting more and more stupid to have the latest and greatest video card on the cusp of DX10

AOM said:
You also have this an option for those that don't need or want to upgrade a current PSU that is still top notch or does the job.

Thermaltake Purepower Power Express 250W

Thermaltake Purepower Power Express 250W link 2

hmmm, i like that option. i just bought a silverstone 560w and i dont feel like upgrading right after i bought one. if i had to upgrade i would probably but the 750w silverstone. ive seen these before but could never find them, and for $50! i'd pay that any day over $200 for a whole new psu.

just found this one, 300w and 400w at max. $30 more though, hell ill buy that, and im pretty sure thats overkill for any card, even an 8800gtx, but thats to be seen with actual specs.

[teh]manwich said:
hmmm, i like that option. i just bought a silverstone 560w and i dont feel like upgrading right after i bought one. if i had to upgrade i would probably but the 750w silverstone. ive seen these before but could never find them, and for $50! i'd pay that any day over $200 for a whole new psu.

just found this one, 300w and 400w at max. $30 more though, hell ill buy that, and im pretty sure thats overkill for any card, even an 8800gtx, but thats to be seen with actual specs.

me too! If you have an old school psu with only one 12V rail, This makes a very intelligent upgrade.

may i just say THAT CARD IS FREAKING HUGE SOON GFX CARDS WILL REQUIRE THEIR OWN CASE SPEC GOD DAMN

phide said:
Now, this is something I'm not so sure I understand.

We're enthusiasts. These are enthusiast cards. They have big, hot running chips, and they're power-gobbling monsters. Is it out of the order to expect them to be big? Is card size a real consideration when making a buying decision?

You know, it would be really nice to be able to have one, two or three monster video cards in a fairly small form factor, but I think we're getting to the point where that is just not feasible. In the next few months, I think it's going to really be a necessity that enthusiasts start buying bigger enthusiast cases. I'm well prepared - and I don't give two hoots about how big my video card is. My two cents on that.
Absolutely, not to mention I really don't care if it looks "pretty"--I care how it looks on my monitor. Now the cooler on the 7900GTX is a work of art, and I certainly don't MIND that, but the lack of it isn't going to affect my puchasing decisions one little bit.

Guys that cooler is obviously engineering sample. Without a doubt it will be different on the final product.

Guys that cooler is obviously engineering sample. Without a doubt it will be different on the final product.

Yes, I agree completely, but also remember that the quadro/79GTX cooler uses a standard brushless fan blade... not optimal for use as a blower. The engineering sample cooler uses a more traditional design that is better suited for that configuration, and probably moves alot more air.

Also remeber that gfx card size wont last. It'll get smaller again. They did get smaller after Voodoo 5.

I still cant justify the cost of a new PSU, PLUS the card...

Thank god Nvidia learned their lesson and exhausted the warm air OUT the back of the card...

Makes me feel little better about just purchasing an X1900XT a month ago. I'm going to wait until the DX10 cards are shrunk to 65nm. I may even wait until Vista SP1. I upgrade every other gen.

Fud at TheInquirer is reporting that Nvidia is going to be demoing the G80 to the press during the middle of next month, with a launch expected sometime in November. This would be great if true; one of these would go nicely with a Kentsfield / BadAxe 2 combo :)

I want two when they are made sandwiched together.;)

They will probably shrink the die this time next year , like they did to the 7 series from 7800 to 7900

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Im such a dumbass.

Why the hell is it in the picutre anyway?

Oh Noes! It's ugly! I'm not buying it! :D

But seriously, we get an unofficial set of images of what is very likely a slapped together engineering sample. . . and people base their buying decision off of that!??

Something tells me that those who are pooping on this thing and so vociferously declaring their disinterest probably weren't very interested to begin with. ;)

Assuming all that size and power is put to effective use, I think the vast majority of performance enthusiasts won't care about how long it is or how un-pretty it is as long as it performs. Though, again, I wouldn't be surprised if it looked quite different by the time it reaches our grubby hands (especially the cooler).

Seems like it would make more sense to make a buying decision off of its final, released specs, performance benchmarks, and (later) reviews rather than a few cryptic images. :rolleyes:

Back