first pics of G80

messerchmidt said:
to hell with the 1000w PSU needed to SLI these cards, pretty soon I am going need to put in a dedicated circuit in my fuse box for my computer. The computer is going to be up there with the oven and dryer...

Yeap!!!, I remodeled my house 3 years ago and put in a 20amp dedicated curcuit with 6 outlets for my computers ( 4 of them total) specially with my gaming rig having a 1kw power supply. :cool: :p :p

Did anyone notice that underneath the plastic on the "water cooled" card that the ends seem to be directly connected underneath the plastic giving the illusion of being watercooled. Otherwise the cooler seems identical. I don't know how a little tube underneath the plastic is going to help cool the card. If I was nvidia, i would put four pcix connectors on the card and throw some outrageous specs (and pictures) out there on the web to throw the competition off (read ATI) and make them think I was worse off then I actually was.

This all could be deliberate misinformation to throw off ATI as to nvidia's progress. Who knows.

edited for spelling

Weeble said:
Did anyone notice that underneath the plastic on the "water cooled" card that the ends seem to be directly connected underneath the plastic giving the illusion of being watercooled. Otherwise the cooler seems identical. I don't know how a little tube underneath the plastic is going to help cool the card. If I was nvidia, i would put four pcix connectors on the card and throw some outrageous specs (and pictures) out there on the web to throw the competition off (read ATI) and make them think I was worse off then I actually was.

This all could be deliberate misinformation to throw off ATI as to nvidia's progress. Who knows.

edited for spelling

throwing off competition is good, but trying to make it seem outrageous will also throw off the consumer as well the hype surrounding the object, don't want the product to flop because no one wants to read about your product anymore

Trimlock said:
throwing off competition is good, but trying to make it seem outrageous will also throw off the consumer as well the hype surrounding the object, don't want the product to flop because no one wants to read about your product anymore
100% Agree. Also, I don't see a heatsink that size being able to dissapate 300 watts unless that fan spins really really fast, and even then ?????

The question I ask myself is... Is nvidia actually going to try to sell a high end card that very few people can actually use?

Weeble said:
100% Agree. Also, I don't see a heatsink that size being able to dissapate 300 watts unless that fan spins really really fast, and even then ?????

The question I ask myself is... Is nvidia actually going to try to sell a high end card that very few people can actually use?

It doesn't take 300 watts to power the thing, the gts version of the card comes with 1 power connector which means if the leaked specs are right, the gts which is clocked at 500 and has 128 mb less ram, with the same clocks as the GTX, will only only take at most 150 watts, so you are left with 75 more mhz and 128 mb vram to power the GTX, that doesn't add up to 150 more watts :)

The 300 watt thing is just a rumor I heard. Most likely not true. If it is then I won't have to turn my furnace this winter, just game alot. I have Turbo-Cool 1KW Quad SLI. If 36 amps for the video cards is not enough, then oh well... I will probably wait until the second gen G80s come out anyways. The specs you posted sound alot more accurate.

Ok, I bet anything we see this from Zalman shortly after this card comes out:
zg8bl9.png

Two FV900's, linked by heatpipes to a single copper block in the middle that actualy makes contact with the chip.
You know it would probobly cool better than that stock cooler by a long shot, and be quieter...what would they call it though? vf900-Cu-duo, vf900-Cu-x2, or perhapse vf1800-Cu?

I can dream, can't I? :D

LOL...why are the new pics of some unreleased piece of hardware always on an asia speaking site?It Intrigues me considering the companies that produce these products are based in California.

Nomikal said:
LOL...why are the new pics of some unreleased piece of hardware always on an asia speaking site?It Intrigues me considering the companies that produce these products are based in California.

Based in California, but their stuff in made in Asia.

Flextronics in China, although I believe I've even seen a digi-pic around these parts of someones 7800gtx core that was apparently fabbed in Korea.

As it states on my site, no direct linking please.

I have been known to replace images with something less pleasent.
..Going on 2 weeks since the person posted that pic (& a week since menitioning it?), I'd say that's being quite generous considering how much traffic [H] and this thread in particular has probably gotten..It is a bit surprising that a mod hasn't come in and edited the offiending post (they're usually pretty hard on those things).

[edit] Oh, and on the thread at hand, I doubt that I'd be able to fit the longer of the supposed cards (shorter a bit iffy too) in my case as well (old Cheiftech Dragon with the rear facing cages, HDs in lower cage *with* the fan in there as well)..Also, my water pump barely clears the end of my 7900gt as is (although that would be easy enough to move & remount to clear better). Whatever, whether ~$450 for the "gt", or ~$650 for the "gtx" (+price gouging @ the start) doesn't really matter, I probably won't even think about upgrading until at least the refresh (8900?) 6+ months down the line.

Back