First FPS for you?

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
Question for all of you. What was your first FPS game, if you can remember, and what was it like for you?

Mine was Duke Nukem for N64. Got it for christmas when I was still used to old racing games and RPG's and Mario/Zelda/Starfox. It was difficult getting used to, but fun as hell, AND addicting! Then my comp got an upgrade and I was hooked. Now, thats basically all I play, except for the starcraft here and there ;) Can never kill a classic! :D

Thats a shame ur first FPS was on a console. Duke3D here. Spent plenty of time goin modem to modem matchups with my neighbors. Still cant recapture that feeling.

Doom; remember all the hassles of configuring the modem ports and baud rates? Still, lotta fun....

it was either Duke3d or Rainbow Six, don't remember

Blakestr said:
Doom; remember all the hassles of configuring the modem ports and baud rates? Still, lotta fun....

i had the not enough memory when I ran the game.. :(.. i had a 486 too!

i had to do the ctrl+alt+del and then hold shift when dos was loading.... freed up memory because it didn't load the sound card and stuff, but for some reason, the soudn still worked..

but, first, i always had to load the system up normally.

Wolf3D was my first FPS. Played Corridor7 & one named "Star" or "Captain" or something a lot after that before moving on to Doom.

Wolf was great, had a hell of a time trying to escape the big guy at the end with the dual machine gun. Had to get to that secret room with all the health potions :).

Corridor7 was spectacular, first time I got creeped out from a game. I remember getting that tri-barrel gun at the end of the secret hall, and having to see the eyeball monster getting brighter & closer to me, nearly pissed my pants.

That other game was cool too, colorful & bright, which & reminded me of Wolf3D, just with better weapons. Wish I remembered the name though. I remember having to destroy those sentry guns or something on the roofs.

Then Doom came, and that changed everything. First time I tried the shareware it didn't work. I starred at it for about a week till it dawned on me that I needed to tweak the Config.sys & Autoexec.bat files, in order to load Emm386 :D. Me & my small bro was drooling since then.

mjz_5 said:
i had the not enough memory when I ran the game.. :(.. i had a 486 too!

i had to do the ctrl+alt+del and then hold shift when dos was loading.... freed up memory because it didn't load the sound card and stuff, but for some reason, the soudn still worked..

but, first, i always had to load the system up normally.

I had to make a special boot disk to free up mem on my 386 :D

Shareware Wolfenstein3d on my 386. Ran flawlessly too :)
Damn Nazis and their rooms full of golden loot

Perfect Dark on the N64. That was just one of the coolest games ever. Any game that does proximity mines correctly has to be towards the top of the list. :)

OK NM my first post. I forgot Wolf3d was my first FPS. Proximity mines were cool.....thats why I will always love Duke3d and its laser mines. Put those babys at the top/bottom of a ladder or on a wall a door opens to and BOOM....instagib.

On my own computer, Descent 1. I played the early quake/doom etc at my friends' houses.

Doom... which I believe I used to play Co-Op and Deathmatch with my neighbor over our 9600 baud modems!

I only actually watched my friend play wolfenstein on his computer. I played doom on my own and loved every second of it. Duke was alright, just not quite as "enjoyable" as the doom series.

Dungeons of Daggorath on the TRS-80.. lol.

daggorath_spider.gif

daggorath_troll_club.gif

First FPS i've seen was Doom I.

Can't remember the title of the first FPS i've played, but it was a shareware that was a lot like Wolfenstein3D, but the goal was to save your Dog.

After that, i got DoomII. I didn't come across the first Doom 'til later.

And to the guy who said 640k was enough for anyone, i hope you die a horrible death.

DarkSeraphim said:
Wolfenstein 3D

God damn that game me sick (Literally...motion-sickness).

Yep same here. I remember I had played for like 5 minutes and had to stop because I started getting cold sweats and extremely dizzy.

Those were the days.

Doom - downloaded the demo over a BBS. Remember those?

I was elite because I was LD. If you've never been LD, then you are a n00b. Hehe.

Earlier I said Wolfenstien, but I think Duck Hunt may have been. Whichever came earlier, that was the one.

And don't deny that Duck Hunt is an FPS. :p

I think my first FPS was Unreal. but I only got to play it for like 3 hours cuz it was installed on my dad's computer and he was a dick when it came to using his computer. I was pretty late into PC gaming, I didn't have a gaming capable computer for over half my life. first FPS i really got into was Rainbow Six Rogue Spear, thats a good game. and i remember when return to castle wolfenstein blew my mind with graphics, oh gawd. and quake 3 basically owned me for quite awhile, even just the singleplayer kept me fed.

on my AMD 386 DX-40 with 5MB RAM Extra 1mb came in handy for a disk cache, Trident 1MB Video Card, Soundblaster compatible soundcard, 40MB :eek: hard disk, 14" SVGA monitor no fandangled optical drives in those days, floppies all the way. Windows 3.1 was pretty much never used and often deleted to make space for more games.

Yes, I am a codger compared to most on this forum :D

Absolutely knocked me out, the only things that impressed me more were Ultima Underworld and original DOOM

Non PC I'd have to say 3D Monster Maze on the ZX-81
http://www.the-underdogs.org/games/0/3dmonster/3dmonster.jpg
check out those awesome graphics!

Doom...

anyone remember Waded? Oh those were the days... move one node just slightly wrong and BOOM all nodes want to connect to that one..

Doom, for me as well.. Nothing like making boot disks to free up some conventional memory..

doom

i remember playing it on a lan my freshman year of college

about 50 computers running windows 95. i had never seen a lan like that (my hs had a lab of apple IIes) lol. i can still remember hearing all those hard drives clicking away. after a few months the admins removed doom because we (nerd students) were taking over the lab. good times.

The first 3 computer games I ever played...
Wolfenstine3D
DOOM
Commander Keen

Back