first boot up problem: single beep but nothing else!?

after just putting my new system together i powered her up with the windows disk in my dvd drive. i got one beep then it went to the start up/system specs screen where you can hit delete to enter bios. then the screen goes black with a little, white, blinking cursor. then it doesnt to anything!

edit: i cleared the cmos and it didnt do anything either

my specs are...
pentium d 805,
asus p5nd2-sli
(1) 7600gt,
corsair value select 667 (5300) ddr2 1gb (singel stick),
(1) 80gb sata2 wd caviar,
xlcio 450watt psu,
sony dvd drive.

here are some pics just in case its a wire management problem...
IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

is everything hooked up right?

It goes to that screen before you can get into the BIOS?

Try different memory slots... Can you find a Prescott to try in it? Might need a BIOS update.

dandragonrage said:
It goes to that screen before you can get into the BIOS?

Try different memory slots... Can you find a Prescott to try in it? Might need a BIOS update.

no, i can get to bios, then it goes to that screen, like it doesnt even ask me to insert operating system disk (this is a brand new build, and i cant swap anything because this is a huge upgrade)

Make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the DVD drive first?

Mak said:
Make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the DVD drive first?
yeah it is

and i switched the memory to the black slot next to it and it still does the same thing, should i try taking things out like video card and whatever else?

edit: ok i put the windows cd in and it did the same thing, but then i restarted it with the windows disk already in it, windows set up loaded but now it sets up, making me hit enter to start and f8 to agree, then it says:

"Set up cannot dina previous version of windows installed on your computer. To continue, setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product.

Please insert one of the following windows product cds into the cd-rom drive: Windows XP Home Edition, Windows 2000pro. etc.

When the CD is in the drive, press ENTER.
To quit setup, press F3."

i hit enter many times, with the windows disk in the drive, because thats how i got to the screen, but this message still comes up!

Wait a minute. You don't have an orginial XP Install CD do you? Because it sounds like you just have the upgrade CD, not the actual install CD. That is your problem.

See if you can locate an actual install CD. Not an upgrade CD.

Definately what Danny said. If you bought the win xp upgrade cd, you will need a previous version of a windows install disk. I have to keep my win98 cd around for this very reason. If you've 'misplaced' the previous version cd, try to find a buddy that has one you can borrow. AFIK, you won't be able to install with and upgrade cd w/o another, previous version cd.

Back