First AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Benchmarks Are Here

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Is it time to get the confetti out yet? Probably not. While I am not a CPU expert, even I can tell that there are a lot of variables and questionable factors circling the benchmarks here. But assuming any of this is actually legit, Ryzen is, at the very least, going to be pretty decent, no?

We finally have some synthetic benchmarks of Ryzen. The CPU used in this test still carries internal codename (AMD Ryzen: ZD3406BAM88F4_38/34_Y), where F4 stands for B-steppings qualification sample. In other words, it shouldn’t be much different from a retail model. It’s worth noting that Turbo mode for Ryzen CPU is currently disabled (or undetected), so the performance could still theoretically increase. The Ryzen 7 model that was used for this test has a base clock of 3400 MHz. Judging from what we know so far, this means a Ryzen 7 1700X, so it is not the fastest Ryzen model out there.

2. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Please don't suck.

Please don't suck.

Please don't suck.

3. patchfile27

patchfile27 n00b

I don't understand what AMD is waiting for. If the CPU's are as good as they are bragging, then they should already be in the hands of reviewers.

Syntax_Error and captaindiptoad like this.
  4. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

Well NDA isn't uncommon for this kind of stuff. What i question is why we still don't have firm release dates yet, just "early march" isn't exactly what i call informing...

Armenius likes this.
  5. patchfile27

patchfile27 n00b

If they do have the CPU's already, then my point still stands, why not lift the NDA and let the world see these chips? I am starting to think there is a problem. I hope I am wrong.

captaindiptoad likes this.
  6. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

There was a rumor that the motherboard manufacturers wanted more time to perfect the XFR function. Who knows?

Armenius and patchfile27 like this.
  7. patchfile27

patchfile27 n00b

I hope it is something along these lines.

8. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

It's all rumour and conjecture until a reputable site reviews a retail cpu.
    That being said, everyone here wants this processor to succeed.

Armenius, Elios, tungt88 and 18 others like this.
  9. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

O_O So basically if I can get this to 4.5 on water it should be roughly twice as fast as my current setup. I'm all in.

griff30 likes this.
  10. Ehren8879

Ehren8879 [H]ardness Supreme

They could enable xfr later and we'll just call it fine wine...

11. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

So, I assume HardOCP hasn't been sent a review sample yet. Being left out? IF they leave HOCP out, then I don't trust it. No Hard, It will suck.

Elios, Savoy, alxnet7227 and 5 others like this.
  12. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle has been blackballed. Guess you'll have to wait for retail (unless that has changed over the past few years...)

oROEchimaru likes this.
  13. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

in the case of AMD no news typically ends up being good news with them.. remember bulldozer and how hard they tried to sell it to the public? then go back and look at phenom II where they were damn near silent about it up until the NDA expired and they ended up being quite good processors, they were just a little late to the party with it.

Armenius and griff30 like this.
  14. Gmok Bonecrusha

Gmok Bonecrusha [H]ard|Gawd

This.

I'm just waiting like everyone else, so I can get my new system built one way or another. I DO want an AMD though. Just to have some comp out there.

griff30 likes this.
  15. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, I know this. We all figured when a product sucks, they blacklist Kyle. When it is good, they beg for his review.

Armenius, DocSavage, Savoy and 4 others like this.
  16. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

I was excited, until I heard about the limited PCIe lanes in Ryzen. They're pulling the same crap as Intel's mainstream, but without the integrated GPU. They put 24 lanes on the CPU, but 4 of them are dedicated to the interconnect to the chipset, and 4 are dedicated to an NVMe drive interface, and then the chipset will only have 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes. So, at best we'll get a single GPU and one NVMe drive. Not enough lanes for RAID or 10Gbe or a second NVMe drive. Way too limited.

Armenius likes this.
  17. MikeRotch

MikeRotch Limp Gawd

Can blackballing lead to blueballing?

griff30 likes this.
  18. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

I'd rather be blue balled than black, cuz at least you got to some bases along the way... That said, I remember something about the two sides coming together recently. Looks good.

On topic, benches... is it on like donkey kong yet?

19. d50man

d50man W[H]iskey Lover

$ for $ amd isn't holding a candle to intel single thread ipc or overall performance and then overclocking is going to be tragic 6800k/8700k vs x1800/x1700. SHOW US GTAV! bench apples to apples.

20. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

As others have said, yeah please don't suck, and I'll believe it when I see real reviews. If these birds are ready to fly then let's toss them into the winds and see what happens

griff30 likes this.
  21. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

They visited him a few days ago and sampled him. So we shall see.

griff30 likes this.
  22. Robergal

Robergal [H]Lite

OK First of all the Motherboard used is an AM4 320 "YOU CANNot OVERCLOCK ON THIS PER AMD". You need a AM4 350B or AM4 370. or SFF x300. The 350B is for 1 card the 370 is for 2 cards.
    Please view this link-
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-uncovers-a-bit-more-on-the-x370-chipset.html
    Its up to the motherboard MFG what connections they have for NVMe etc.

Basically when and where is my only question. I have loved AMD broke my heart to see them fail 5-7 years ago and had to go Intel.

griff30 likes this.
  23. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Here is a preview of that visit, notice that Kyle had just settled down for a long winters nap.

24. ole-m

ole-m Limp Gawd

amd haven't been competetive since bulldozer, phenom II X6 was marvelous budget chips, nothing intel had at the time could match performance\price on the market, sure intel could sell for less but they've never been required to.
    But things have kinda taken off since skylake, reduction in die size and no change in price other than adjusting it for inflation so the dollar sign is higher.
    Usually we'd see a lower price on new nodes for same specs after a few months..

This is why I soooo want competition, I want nvidia AMD and intel, cause back in the days life was good - development was fast and price was fair for what you got.
    Now you have an overpriced gtx1080, overpriced intel 4 core chips and people spend 33% more than what prices would be with competition

Elios and Savoy like this.
  25. Private_Ops

Private_Ops [H]ard|Gawd

Sure would be something if Cyrix (well VIA I guess) popped back in the game with something competitive out of no where.

Armenius, Elios, Nukester and 8 others like this.
  26. freeloader1969

freeloader1969 2[H]4U

Now that would truly be a mind boggling event!

Armenius, Jon855 and Napoleon like this.
  27. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

Stop being such an interposer.....

[​IMG]

Armenius, d50man and thesmokingman like this.
  28. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

AMD is certainly setting themselves up. Usually this ends is great enormous sad (yet funny) dissappointment. AMD, please don't be AMD? Ok?

Something tells me that this will end up just like the rest.... now if we could only see this come to market?

KazeoHin and d50man like this.
  29. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

So it beats the cumlord that's promising...:ROFLMAO::whistle::notworthy:

Armenius and griff30 like this.
  30. 5icko

5icko Guest

Ohhhhh. Now I see why he's such an Intel fanboi. Answers everything.

31. CentroX

CentroX n00b

His ban has been lifted i think

32. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Intel fans will hang their hat on max game performance on their highest (O)clocked chip, while ignoring performance of Intel's $1000+ CPU's, or even what they are used for. Ryzen is about to become a true enthusiast chip, at true enthusiast prices.
    PS- for the criminally slow, "enthusiast" doesn't limit itself to games and bigger and bigger monitors ;)

33. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Honestly, I couldn't give a rats ass about Intel and their many core chips any more than I do AMD's, and I don't even game that much anymore. For overall system responsiveness I'd take 4 fast cores over 6, 8, 10 or even 16 slower ones.

There are tasks that excel on many core chips, but these are in the minority.

Personally I'll be measuring AMD's Ryzen by the max single core performance I can get out of it, with blatant disregard for it's many core performance statistics compared to Intels many core solutions.

When you strap a water cooler to it, and hit the max overclock, it better keep up with or beat my 5+ year old i7-3930k at its max watercooled clock of 4.8Ghz, or there will be no sale.

Unless you are encoding, rendering or doing certain scientific calculations, many slower cores will NEVER make up for fewer faster ones, once you pass a certain threshold core count, which is usually approximately 4.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  34. Wierdo

Wierdo [H]ard|Gawd

Last time AMD came out with a completting product (Athlon) prices dropped like a rock, went from 450mhz to 1ghz products in the span of few years, could grab a 650mhz CPU for $60 instead of 300mhz for $200 a year prior when I was in the market, I do recall. Was a golden age of performance advances and prices cuts, always something new and exciting around the corner to benchmark back then.

With this in mind I'm hoping AMD has something compelling again, we may have reached the limits of process tech, but I'm sure there's still room left for a bit more performance for less cash if competition is back.

griff30 and Elios like this.
  35. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Okay apparently you are my mentioned stereotypical anti-enthusiast.
    For starters a 4 core anything is hardly any higher level of "system responsiveness" then any modern higher core. What are you running when a modern 4 core is "more responsive" then a 6-8-10 core? Your having a fucking laugh are you?
    As far as your "Unless you are encoding, rendering, or doing....." comment goes, that is what defines an "enthusiast chip". If you want to say a gaming chip, then say so. That is a limited audience who usually buy consoles because they know the game > greater then the system.
    Ryzen will be very competitive in gaming. Don't get any fantasies it will not. But it will also be very competitive with Intel's workstation class many cores.
    At a enthusiast price!

36. Zarathustra[H]

Got it. Enthusiasm = Rendering/Encoding.

Single threaded performance, despite it's overwhelming importance in most applications = Not Enthusiasm.

What color is the sky on your planet?

37. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Overwhelming importance? What year is this?
    The year where your 4 core is so much more responsive then an 8 core! Hehe. What colour is the sky on your planet non-enthusiast?

38. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

i just want it to be competitive so we get prices to come down -- when this thing release anyway? i'm itching to do a new build

d50man likes this.
  39. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

You gotta get over how important personal opinions are man.

40. Zarathustra[H]

I don't have a quad core. I'll happily take more cores, as long as it doesn't mean sacrificing max single core performance at max overclock on water.

With my hexacore 3930k@4.8 I got the most cores available in a consumer chip at the time, and also just about the best max overclock possible at the time.

I won't sacrifice single core performance for anything.