First AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Benchmarks Are Here

Intel is already arming for battle for the bottom by releasing a K series i3 and enabling HT on the G4560, G4600, G4620 Pentiums.
Unfortunately, this adds nearly zero value to those parts for enthusiasts. HT even when overclocked to the heavens still doesn't compensate for real cores. Right now, most of the programming in the AAA video games is targeting quad cores.

Honestly, I believe unlocking i3's and adding HT to Pentiums is actually creating less work for Intel, allowing them to not have to go through extra manufacturing steps like lasering off additional pieces of the chips to create even lower end parts. They add value while saving money.
most Pentiums->i3 = all same i3 chips binned appropriately
i5, i7, quad core xeons = all same quad core xeon chips binned appropriately
etc.
etc.
on up the chain.

If they do have the CPU's already, then my point still stands, why not lift the NDA and let the world see these chips? I am starting to think there is a problem. I hope I am wrong.

The hype. People have short attention spans, if a product review comes out a month before the product is available (even if it's good) there won't be as much interest when it finally arrives.

It shown through, clear and unambiguous, in the thread I already linked. You must be encouraged the sycophants can't see it.

I checked the link you provided. Kyle said nothing about AMD other than "At those prices they threw in the towel"

And he is right. You have a brand new architecture on an untested, and IMO slightly lacking chipset. Ryzen still needed to come out swinging with the price. Slightly too expensive to compete with mainstream, and chipset slightly wanting to compete with HEDT.

I've been cheering for Ryzen since before New Horizons. I'm as team red as you can get when it comes to GPU's. I've held off on a build hoping it will be something to rock the boat. But at the price rumored in that thread that you linked, I'll go X99 and not bat an eye about it.

It shown through, clear and unambiguous, in the thread I already linked. You must be encouraged the sycophants can't see it.

Funny, every time Kyle reviews an AMD product I get the impression that he's actually desperate for them to stop sucking.

I would urge you to go back and read some earlier reviews that came out when AMD was in it's prime (and ATi for that matter :cry:).

Here, I found one very recent quote for you to prop up your nonsensical bias statements. :rolleyes:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/13/kaby_lake_7700k_vs_sandy_bridge_2600k_ipc_review/5
"AMD, it is your turn. We think we know where you are in terms of IPC; you had best get your pricing structure in line. Don't get greedy, deliver a solid non-beta platform, expand on core-width and chipset functionality going forward, and you are going to win a lot of us enthusiasts back. You get me close to parity with my Haswell, and I am building a new Ryzen system just on enthusiast principle alone."

And another disclosure of my huge Intel bias.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/12/09/intel_kaby_lake_core_i77700k_ipc_review/6
"AMD, do we matter? Lisa Su? AMD has a hugely influential and substantial fanbase waiting to wave your flag again. We all still have that Blue Core Thunderbird and 9700 Pro love in our hearts. We are older now and have lots of money to spend on tech and its toys. We are established, influential, and well informed, and all our family members and all their friends ask our advice on computer purchasing and then it trickles down. That is the HardOCP reader profile. Wouldn't you love to have us once again direct all those purchasing dollars with a comment like, "Just look for the AMD Zen (and beyond) badge and you will be getting a quality product."

If we have learned anything this year, it is that grass roots support is monumental. God knows us enthusiasts can market better for AMD than Roy Taylor can any day. AMD, the door is open, give us a reason, please."

5icko , don't let fanboyism cloud your judgment. Intel has been doing a tremendously better job on the CPU front for years and years now. To argue any different is simply not based in fact when it comes to enthusiast level hardware, which is our focus. "You can't handle the truth," comes to mind.

Honestly, Kyle - when he has been cut off - has often been able to acquire his review samples before retail launch. Not sure how he does it, but he does.

For the record, Kyle has been cut off from Intel as well. They weren't exactly thrilled about his review of the i7-3960x 5 years ago.

These companies expect the PC Hardware press to just take their "media kit" and copy and paste their bullshit marketing statements on to their site. They expect hardware review sites to just be a free extension of their marketing departments. If you play free press, and try to honestly report your impressions to your readers, it's only a matter of time until you get cut off. It might work for a while when things are going well for the company, and they agree with your findings, but its only a matter of time.

They expect it because that's what the trade publishing market has been for decades. Take any industry rag and the bulk is a PR with the byline stamped on it. It's what makes [H] so rare.

Personally I hope that AMD puts out a good chip, so that it can be swiftly beaten back into submission next refresh cycle and the salt mining will begin anew.:troll:

single core performance is more of a gaming thing no? since most devs can't seem to write a game that utilized more than a couple cores... as someone that does a lot of virtualization (I often have 6~8 VMs running on my desktop) I could not be happier at the increasing core count of available CPUs

Yep, VM's are another area where lots of cores help. (as does a metric ton of RAM) Add that to rendering and encoding. There are a few others too, but I don't want to go listing them all off. In the end, it amounts to a small minority of tasks.

I run VM's too, but only one or two at a time on my desktop, and my hexacore is more than sufficient for that. I run most of my VM's on my dual socket Xeon server with 192GB of RAM though.

Its more than just for gaming. Specially if you pay something like 6K to 14K per core for licensing with SQL.

in all fairness I don't think anyone would be running a (licensed) MS-SQL server on a Ryzen regardless... and that's a change in MSSQL 2016, older MSSQL was per socket licensing, which more cores would definitely help not hurt...

Ten more days! Just 10 more days!

I really hope they pull this off so I can recommend their products again.

CPC about Ryzen gaming performance.

Far below? Is that true? Sure it's worse than KBL, but it's benching within spitting distance of Devil's Canyon at lower clocks so what's fucking it up in games?

CPC about Ryzen gaming performance.

Gee dude, what tweet? Guess they took it down? Ready to give us more negative crap that you know is not the case? Oh wait, you will claim an AMD conspiracy to take it down, good luck with that and carry on.

Edit: Wow, tweak just magically showed up again when I quoted you. LOL :D Performance will remain "far below" but no proof and a post from 6 days ago to boot. Oh well, enjoy that CPCH stuff, I will be seriously enjoying my new build in less than 2 weeks. Oh, and we still have no idea what overclocking capacity is available but, we will see.

Its more than just for gaming. Specially if you pay something like 6K to 14K per core for licensing with SQL.

Therefore, we should all be running SQL off of a dual core i3, right? Or is this just another way of you bashing AMD, good luck.

Back