First AMD build (Crosshair VII + 2700x) but stumped on memory

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
I ordered a Crosshair VII to run 2 x fast NVMe's in Raid0 direct to CPU without traversing the chipset. Was planning to throw on a 2700x also.

However I'm stumped on memory, with lots of conflicting info about compatibility issues. I guess I've taken memory for granted coming from the Intel world.

Am I okay installing 4 x 8GB of these modules:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GCWQ8VO/

Or did this build just become more expensive and I need to buy a specific pair of 2 x 16GB modules?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's not on the memory qvl, so it may not run at the rated xmp speeds. Don't have that board/cpu combo myself, so I can't speak to how picky it is with ram.

It's not on the memory qvl, so it may not run at the rated xmp speeds. Don't have that board/cpu combo myself, so I can't speak to how picky it is with ram.

Yeah I checked that out, but took with grain of salt because QVL's tend to be stuck in time - a manufacturer will do a bunch of testing once with a limited group of hardware, and will almost never revisit and update again. From what I've read, though, BIOS updates have improved memory compatibility for Ryzen versus the earlier days.

My goal in going Ryzen was to achieve 8 cores for less than what a comparable Intel setup would cost, but if I have to buy stupidly expensive memory then those savings in CPU ($250 2700x vs $399 9700k) are more than erased and a Ryzen build ends up being more expensive. Seems like the AMD advocates never mention the memory gotchas when swearing that Ryzen is totally cheaper.

Memory compatibility issues were mostly ironed out with Ryzen+.

I'd be pretty confident those would work, however ideally you'd be grabbing G Skill's Flare X modules, 3200CL14. I'd be checking if you can obtain these at a similar pricing to the kingston from perhaps different outlets (newegg? Microcenter? etc)

Memory compatibility issues were mostly ironed out with Ryzen+.

I'd be pretty confident those would work, however ideally you'd be grabbing G Skill's Flare X modules, 3200CL14. I'd be checking if you can obtain these at a similar pricing to the kingston from perhaps different outlets (newegg? Microcenter? etc)

Thanks, I've seen FlareX CL14's recommended. But is there a performance hit when running 4 x 8GB modules? I really need to run 32GB. It seems like I keep reading that "only run two CL14 sticks if you want best performance".

Yeah I checked that out, but took with grain of salt because QVL's tend to be stuck in time - a manufacturer will do a bunch of testing once with a limited group of hardware, and will almost never revisit and update again. From what I've read, though, BIOS updates have improved memory compatibility for Ryzen versus the earlier days.

My goal in going Ryzen was to achieve 8 cores for less than what a comparable Intel setup would cost, but if I have to buy stupidly expensive memory then those savings in CPU ($250 2700x vs $399 9700k) are more than erased and a Ryzen build ends up being more expensive. Seems like the AMD advocates never mention the memory gotchas when swearing that Ryzen is totally cheaper.
Fair enough. They do have a higher cas kit rated at a lower latency on the qvl: HX432C18FBK2/16
There's also a 3000mhz patriot kit that's rated for 4-dimms and costs a bit less: PV416G300C6K

Would have to search to see what ram chips are used in those modules, and how well they oc.

Fwiw, I have a set of 2800 gskill 4gb modules (16gb total) running at 2933 on my gigabyte x370 board with an r5 1600. G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8) ($176 from newegg's ebay store a year or so ago)

Last edited:
Thanks, I've seen FlareX CL14's recommended. But is there a performance hit when running 4 x 8GB modules? I really need to run 32GB. It seems like I keep reading that "only run two CL14 sticks if you want best performance".

I'm running 16gb 3200C16, for 99% of applications I'm sure the actual real-world difference is negligible, so I'd say you'd be safe running c14 sticks in tangent for 32GB, and if it seems at all unstable, loosen the timings. That said, I'd only consider the C14s if the price really isn't much different. If we're talking 20% price hike, I'd be sticking with any reasonable 32GB kit or 16(8x2)x2 kit of 3200C16.

I had 4x8GB of FlareX C14 running with a 2700x and CH7. Ran at XMP profile and never had issues. I don't know what performance I was leaving on the table.

I had 4x8GB of FlareX C14 running with a 2700x and CH7. Ran at XMP profile and never had issues. I don't know what performance I was leaving on the table.

Also running 4x8GB at 3200Mhz here on the same board OP mentioned using the FlareX. (Crosshair VII, also 2700X), no issue since day 1 and able to run default speed and CAS latency from out of the box.
I made sure to choose the single sided ones, as in the past everyone around said this was the B die Samsung ones (going from my memory here, may be wrong on some terms).

I highly recommend those sticks and mobo.
EDIT: Just checked, they run at CAS14 with default voltage too and all cores on air that came with CPU at at 4.05 right now. I didn't touch any settings other then typical setup.

Last edited:
Back