Firefox on Android gets Major Update...

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
...and according to Forbes users apparently hate it.

Does anyone else use it here?

I switched over to mobile Firefox a while back as I felt it gave me better control of my privacy settings. Now I know I am Usually the curmudgeon hating change on here, but I'm actually enjoying this update.

Default zoom is further out making text smaller giving me the information dense look I crave, and I'm general many issues I'd been having with text editing in web forms are resolved. It also adds a dark mode and changes tab management a bit.

Moving the address bar to the bottom is a little weird, but it was a piece of cake to switch it back up top in settings.

The tab management part I still haven't gotten used to yet, but overall I'm really liking this update.

Most people seem to be complaining about rendering slowness, crashes, changes in how bookmarks are handled and the removal of the back button.

I have not personally experienced any slowdowns or crashes on my Pixel 3. I also don't really use bookmarks at all in web browsers, so that hasn't impacted me, and since I always keep my Android phone in legacy three button mode, I always have a back button, and don't need one in the browser app itself. So no issues there for me.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I'm on the beta so I've been using it for a month or so. The new system of looking through open tabs is a bit less intuitive, but not so bad now that I've gotten used to it. I did not personally notice any change in text size, on my Samsung S8+. Most pages work fine. Interestingly, the pages I seem to have the most trouble with are google-based pages. Like when I want to look up the weather, I just do a google search for "Weather 55555", whereas 55555 is the zipcode. But in mobile view it only shows weather info for one day. In desktop view it shows the weather info for an entire week. So I always switch to desktop view. Then when I want to see updates to the weather I go back to that tab and hit the refresh button. When I do that now, it changes back to the mobile view automatically, even through the toggle switch is still set to desktop view, and trying to switch back and forth does nothing (stays on mobile view regardless of setting). In order to see it in desktop view again, I have to open a completely new tab and start from scratch. That's really the most annoying bug I'm having at the moment, and I'm sure Google isn't too concerned about bugs like that that push people toward chrome.

I'm normally curmudgeonly and hate change, but damn is it faster than it was before. And if you mobe everything around but make it faster, I'll give you a pass.

I like the address bar at the bottom, but I wish it would stop disappearing. OTOH, I liked windows phone, and it had the address bar at the bottom (and dark mode)

I'm normally curmudgeonly and hate change, but damn is it faster than it was before. And if you mobe everything around but make it faster, I'll give you a pass.

I feel the same way.

It's interesting though, that in the article people have been quoted complaining about performance.

I wonder why it is faster for some, and slower for others.

I dislike the tab management (really, a drawer? For why?), and don't enjoy the extra step to get to addons, but mostly I just dislike the random crashes and buggyness.

I'm running the beta though, so I can't complain about it too much. Report the crashes that happen when I can, and hope they go away.

I'm by no means a "power user" (whatever that means), but I was upset that it tried to default to the address bar on the bottom luckily I actually read through that "this is what's new" screen (which I almost never do) and saw a button to put it to top again, and rage went away.

The address bar on the bottom doesn't bother me. It's a change, but welcome.

I noticed WebGL performance is *much* worse though. I hope they can fix that, Chrome is several times faster.

I fucking hate it.

It removes my #1 favorite feature from firefox mobile, tab queueing from an external source.

If anyone can PLEASE show me literally any other mobile browser with tab queueing I'll be jumping over immediately.

It also removed my second most used feature in the browser, bookmarks on the new tab screen.
I also used this practically every time I opened the browser, multiple times hour.

It does render faster and I don't really dislike anything else about it except for how it rearranged the favorites on new tab.

But I super, super miss tab queueing.

Last edited:
Don't like the update. Seems like they didn't think things through on certain features.
Switched back to chrome for the time being. I'll try again if they tweak a few things.

I liked it, so far what I don't like has already been complained about here.

The only thing that's happened, that's never happened before, is on this forum, I'll tap "like" and it'll either take me to a new page that says: "Are you sure you want to like this post?" Or, it'll pull up a new window that says who all has liked the post.
That's only happened 3 times since the update. Never seen those screens before the update, nor on desktop.

I fucking hate it.

It removes my #1 favorite feature from firefox mobile, tab queueing from an external source.

If anyone can PLEASE show me literally any other mobile browser with tab queueing I'll be jumping over immediately.

It also removed my second most used feature in the browser, bookmarks on the new tab screen.
I also used this practically every time I opened the browser, multiple times hour.

It does render faster and I don't really dislike anything else about it except for how it rearranged the favorites on new tab.

But I super, super miss tab queueing.

Can you explain? I don't have a clue what tab queueing is.

Before, on firefox, if I opened up a link through an external source - google news, Facebook, texts, etc. It would open up as a background tab on firefox without Firefox actually taking focus. When I eventually got to firefox, I'd have 20-30 background tabs queued up that I could cycle through one at a time at a later time.

It's a feature I've been using for years.

hate it. like Master_shake_ i've reverted back. too complicated to navigate the UI. even on mobile they want to become a chrome clone. not an ounce of creativity left at mozilla it seems
i dont use many applications but I see tab queuing is gonne too. like I said: chrome clone

I'm done. Held out for the longest on Firefox, but they are just losing it.

I switched to Brave and it's so much better. All the benefits of Chrome without the 1984.

Firefox somehow broke autofill for LastPass, so yeah I'm hating the new version.

Yeah, it also forot all my search history, and replaced the new tab suggestions page with a blank one. it's going to be awhile before I have the same uaability as before (because it has to build back up my search history).

Using Fennec Fox. Firefox with even moar privacy. Still haven't seen this change yet. Being the curmudgeon I am, I will probably hate it.

Firefox somehow broke autofill for LastPass, so yeah I'm hating the new version.

Security issues
2011 security incident
On Tuesday, May 3, 2011, LastPass discovered an anomaly in their incoming network traffic, then a similar anomaly in their outgoing traffic. Administrators found none of the hallmarks of a classic security breach (for example, a non-administrator user being elevated to administrator privileges), but neither could they determine the anomalies' cause. Furthermore, given the size of the anomalies, it was theoretically possible that data such as email addresses, the server salt, and the salted password hashes were copied from the LastPass database. To address the situation, LastPass took the "breached" servers offline so they could be rebuilt and, on May 4, 2011, requested all users change their master passwords. They said that while there was no direct evidence that any customer information was compromised, they preferred to err on the side of caution. However, the resulting user traffic overwhelmed the login servers, and company administrators—considering the possibility that existing passwords had been compromised was trivially small—asked users to delay changing their passwords until further notice.[27][28]

2015 security breach
On Monday, June 15, 2015, LastPass posted a blog post indicating that the LastPass team had discovered and halted suspicious activity on their network the previous Friday. Their investigation revealed that LastPass account email addresses, password reminders, server per user salts, and authentication hashes were compromised; however, encrypted user vault data had not been affected. The company blog said, "We are confident that our encryption measures are sufficient to protect the vast majority of users. LastPass strengthens the authentication hash with a random salt and 100,000 rounds of server-side PBKDF2-SHA256, in addition to the rounds performed client-side. This additional strengthening makes it difficult to attack the stolen hashes with any significant speed."[29][30]

2016 security incidents
In July 2016, a blog post published by independent online security firm Detectify detailed a method for reading plaintext passwords for arbitrary domains from a LastPass user's vault when that user visited a malicious web site. This vulnerability was made possible by poorly written URL parsing code in the LastPass extension. The flaw was not disclosed publicly by Detectify until LastPass was notified privately and able to fix their browser extension.[31] LastPass responded to the public disclosure by Detectify in a post on their own blog, in which they revealed knowledge of an additional vulnerability, discovered by a member of the Google Security Team, and already fixed by LastPass.[32]

2017 security incidents
On March 20, Tavis Ormandy discovered a vulnerability in the LastPass Chrome extension. The exploit applied to all LastPass clients, including Chrome, Firefox and Edge. These vulnerabilities were disabled on March 21, and patched on March 22.[33]

On March 25, Ormandy discovered an additional security flaw allowing remote code execution based on the user navigating to a malicious website. This vulnerability was also patched.[34][35]

2019 security incidents
On Friday, August 30, 2019, Tavis Ormandy reported a vulnerability in the LastPass browser extension in which Web sites with malicious JavaScript code could obtain a username and password inserted by the password manager on the previously visited site.[36][37] By September 13, 2019, Lastpass publicly announced the vulnerability, acknowledging the issue was limited to the Google Chrome and Opera extensions only; nonetheless, all platforms received the vulnerability patch.[38] [39]

Nope.

Oh, you mean an alternative to LastPass? I don't know, but it's been solid for me.

I'm trying Vivaldi Mobile for now. I use Vivaldi on desktop and love it, but the mobile version still has a little catching up to do to have feature parity (with the previous firefox).

I use Keepass on my desktop and Keepass for Android. I sync it over google drive and it supports unlock with fingerprint if you are into that.

Back