Finished with Folding@Home

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
5,145
Well, the time has come to stop using my resources with Folding@Home.

Despite being one of the most active beta testers out of many and quite a few incompetent ones who shouldn't be testers at all, I have been removed as a beta tester because they feel I have leaked too much information to ya'll here over the past couple weeks. This action, along with other disappointments from PG of late, just tells me it's time to move back to BOINC or other DC projects.
 
Aww Tobit, that is very disappointing, but sadly unsurprising. This program is very much reluctant to devolve power from a few to the many who make it run. The very fact that beta testers are closed off from the rest of the community and required to work in secret speaks volumes. This is a pissy exercise in power, nothing more. Show me academia, and I will show you turf wars.

Do they really think that secrecy and micromanaged control have ever worked to better a program?

I hope you know that your selfless efforts to improve the program are appreciated by the rest of us, if not by PG.
 
sucks to hear. the info you were not attempting to leak but leading on honestly kept most of us interested in the program. but the fact that they care more about secrecy then to keep their community interested in the projects speaks more about them then you and the community that actually gives a shit. now if only i could get boinc to run without lagging id actually switch. still trying to find an install for the old client that ran perfectly fine for me.

and yes MIBW the beta program NDA is effing retarded. the info should be open to everyone. i dont care if im not allowed to run it but i want to effing know what the beta testers are doing. what we can expect to come out in the next 4-6 months. not sit here in the dark only to find out some new WU is coming out 3-4 days AFTER its already come out. let alone the fact that the WU runs like absolute shit because some of the beta testers didnt do their jobs giving info about the WU performance.. cough cough P1110/11/12. any blind fool knows the WU's are flawed.


so tobit. now that your no longer part of the beta program, can you leak all the info you know, please? pretty please?
 
I think i will name a folding rack after you
"The Great Tobit"
540k ppd SR-2 maddness.....

well i better get started!

My friend you will be missed and i would hope BOINC appreciates your dedication more so than F@H.
 
Whoa! How can PG think you were doing any damage with your information? You did a lot of defending and promoting, especially with people (myself included) that were miffed about the point values of 670x units. And that probably wasn't easy. Anyway, I thought you did a lot of good for them here, and I'll miss the information you provided.
 
Whoa! How can PG think you were doing any damage with your information?
Unfortunately, PG doesn't really run the beta program. It is all run by the admins of FoldingForum.
 
Really? And they snoop over here to see what you're saying? Don't they have anything better to do?

RIP brother.
 
Whoa! How can PG think you were doing any damage with your information? You did a lot of defending and promoting, especially with people (myself included) that were miffed about the point values of 670x units. And that probably wasn't easy. Anyway, I thought you did a lot of good for them here, and I'll miss the information you provided.

I agree....... im still scratching my head on the fact of how they would dump you like that and even though you did plenty to help the cause.
 
Unfortunately, PG doesn't really run the beta program. It is all run by the admins of FoldingForum.

I did not know that. Well, PG are certainly wise to leave such a vital task to those grumpy control freaks.

Anyway, chin up buddy, you can hold your head high - who would you rather have the respect of? The [H]orde or some little, little apparatchik?
 
Unfortunately, PG doesn't really run the beta program. It is all run by the admins of FoldingForum.


oh if its the admins at FF then fuck em. most of them are pretty useless.


(yeah and if any of ya FF jackasses are reading this, eat shit and die ya bastards)



hmm makes me wonder if i should piss em off by running the fermi flag on my 8800GS's again :D
 
PS - I hope Comrade Tobit, you will come to appreciate the magnitude of your crimes and confess - in the darkest days of the bigadv drought, while we assailed them with 6701 and overloaded servers - you might have given hope to SMP folders, to stay with the program. While others might call it viral marketing 101, we call it a sackable offence. :(
 
Tobit, thank you for eveything you have done for the [H] DC teams.
As others have said, there are a lot of other good DC programs out there and i hope you find one you like to run.


sirmonkey1985...tell us how you really feel :D :eek:

(yeah and if any of ya FF jackasses are reading this, eat shit and die ya bastards)
 
Well, the time has come to stop using my resources with Folding@Home.

that's disappointing to hear... I realize F@H can be incredibly frustrating but I still feel the greater good is more than frustrations associated with it...

what DC projects are you looking at?

oh if its the admins at FF then fuck em. most of them are pretty useless.

(yeah and if any of ya FF jackasses are reading this, eat shit and die ya bastards)

could not agree more, every time I have gone to FF its full of the rudest admin/mod team of ANY message board I have ever visited...
 
Tis' a shame Tobit.

Sadly this is similar to an event with a fellow folder about a year ago.
 
Tobit, thank you for eveything you have done for the [H] DC teams.
As others have said, there are a lot of other good DC programs out there and i hope you find one you like to run.


sirmonkey1985...tell us how you really feel :D :eek:


lol trust me, most of the people here know how i really feel. and if i really said what i want to say i'd probably get my self banned. just ask the people that are in the IRC channel. they know first hand what i think about PG and F@H.


that's disappointing to hear... I realize F@H can be incredibly frustrating but I still feel the greater good is more than frustrations associated with it...

but see thats the big question. is dealing with the BS associated actually for the greater good? other then few reports a couple scientist release every year there is no actual proof that F@H is for the greater good of it all. we just assume it is because its been around the longest. hell half the time we dont even know what the WU's are actually for, we just get the usual bs scientific name of a simulated protein being folded. where as you have things like WCG that tell you exactly what your working on and give actual deadlines and completion dates of those projects. with F@H you basically run the same WU's til PG decides its enough. then you get a report a year later talking about it in language only a scientist would understand. while i understand our reasoning for running F@H. PG and everyone involved really needs to do a better job with the community then just assuming we will follow behind everything they do like a dog on a leash which is pretty much all we do now. but if they think a beta tester actually trying to create excitement for the project is considered leaking information then what the hell is the point?

yeah i know ive beaten this subject like a dead horse. but every time F@H does something like this is just brings up the same point i've been talking about for well over a year now and nothing has ever changed. its just gotten progressively worse. at some point PG needs to decide whether the science is more important or if the community doing the science for them is more important. so far it seems the only thing they care about is the science and the community that does their work for them doesnt matter. i mean hell if you really think about it. if the top 15-20 teams production wise shut off everything for a week. it would set PG back almost 2 years worth of data, maybe then they will actually start caring.
 
Last edited:
ah they always come back lol

this happens every year or so, they make some incredibly stupid decisions, people get pissy and leave (I know, I did it remember?)

but dont do it for VP or PG.. do it for the people with cancer, or hell just do it for your team... we need you guys!! :)
 
ah they always come back lol

this happens every year or so, they make some incredibly stupid decisions, people get pissy and leave (I know, I did it remember?)

but dont do it for VP or PG.. do it for the people with cancer, or hell just do it for your team... we need you guys!! :)


lol i do it all the time. but honestly i lost interest in the science a long time ago when PG decided the skewed points system was far more important. so i basically run the clients now to give other people points. otherwise id quit completely. now if only i could figure out why boinc lags like a mofo on my system id quit F@H right at this moment and never look back.
 
It's sad to hear this but not really surprised with the amount of info you provided the teammates. No wonder the FF admins jump the gun very often without having a good talk.

I hope you reconsider the decision one day because I'm there to support all of you ;) At least, you decided to redirect the resources for another worthy cause instead of vanishing into the digital oblivion.
 
Tobit, no matter the deal, your my brother all the way bro!
 
It's sad to hear this but not really surprised with the amount of info you provided the teammates. No wonder the FF admins jump the gun very often without having a good talk.

I hope you reconsider the decision one day because I'm there to support all of you ;) At least, you decided to redirect the resources for another worthy cause instead of vanishing into the digital oblivion.


but see thats the thing he never really provided us with anything. he would just say "wait and see" or "just wait somethings coming" shit like that. doesnt give anything away but kept me damn interested in it waiting to see what was actually coming out. but what ever PG's loss.
 
lol i do it all the time. but honestly i lost interest in the science a long time ago when PG decided the skewed points system was far more important. so i basically run the clients now to give other people points. otherwise id quit completely. now if only i could figure out why boinc lags like a mofo on my system id quit F@H right at this moment and never look back.

my problem is WCG has no GPU support, else I would also jump over
 
my problem is WCG has no GPU support, else I would also jump over


true but even if it did i wouldnt run a nvidia card on it. to much cuda overhead on boinc compared to AMD/ATI cards.(F@H has the same excessive overhead but ya cant really see it since the ATI client is garbage) but if i did run a gpu project it would be milkyway@home since i dont find running math projects like collatz at the top of my list of projects to do.
 
true but even if it did i wouldnt run a nvidia card on it. to much cuda overhead on boinc compared to AMD/ATI cards.(F@H has the same excessive overhead but ya cant really see it since the ATI client is garbage) but if i did run a gpu project it would be milkyway@home since i dont find running math projects like collatz at the top of my list of projects to do.

well its what I got soooo....
 
Sorry to hear that Tobit. Of course we'd love to have you helping the [H]ard DC Commandos with BOINC. There's a WCG challenge coming up!
 
Sorry to hear that Tobit. While we have had differences of opinion, I still respected the knowledge and work you did for the folding program. All the BS you have experienced is what lead me to go BOINC. It's really a shame because the BS just does not have to be there.
Good luck with BOINC and thank you for posting your tidbits,(tobits? ;) ) they really helped keep interest in the project.
 
well its what I got soooo....


ya i know, same here. sporting two 8800GS's :D nvidia cards still perform good on boinc just ATI cards perform that much better. which makes no sense why F@H is still 2 years behind on the ATI client if they actually cared about it.


(this is the part where tobit chimes in and says PG actually has an ATI client but refuse to release it to the public) :D lol
 
I also agree though that the BS gets old, but I keep pressing on in the hope that my efforts are doing something for the greater good.

Also, it's fun to be on a team and compete.

Also, it's a decent way to heat the house.
 
I also agree though that the BS gets old, but I keep pressing on in the hope that my efforts are doing something for the greater good.

Also, it's fun to be on a team and compete.

Also, it's a decent way to heat the house.

Yes, F@H make for great heaters in the winter months :)
 
Man, it is amazing what I miss in just a few hours away from the forums!!!

I am very sorry that you are leaving F@H. At least you are staying in DC with BOINC. I too have at times walked away from F@H and gone BOINC. I'm committed for now and hopefully nothing too drastic changes that would cause me to change my mind again.

I know you'll still be around so am not going to say good bye.
 
seems like instead of dumping one of their most active beta testers and a great resource for science they might wanna actually focus on some of the actual bugs and issues affecting F@H, like how about the Linux bigadv client FFS?


quite disapointed with this news
 
what DC projects are you looking at?
I was thinking of Malaria Control for my CPUs. I've never been that interested in WCG because of the heavy corporate involvement but may re-consider. I will probably run RC5-72 on my ATI GPU when not gaming.

I had been in the process of selling off all of my NVIDIA GPUs and switching to SMP only on F@H as I just couldn't deal with the heat anymore (even in winter). So maybe all of this is good timing actually. meh.
 
my issue with things like RC5 is that while its a neat project, I don't see how that really helps anything in the real world...
 
yes it does. but so does the people living in the apartment below me that have their heaters on 24/7 which heats up my apartment as well :D

Tell them to get some Folding machines then they won't have to run their heaters. :D

We'll miss you Tobit! Thanks for all the fun!
 
my issue with things like RC5 is that while its a neat project, I don't see how that really helps anything in the real world...
Yeah, but unfortunately, that along with Collatz and MilkyWay, are really the only projects for ATI GPUs and I can't run MilkyWay due to lack of a double-precision GPU.
 
Yeah, but unfortunately, that along with Collatz and MilkyWay, are really the only projects for ATI GPUs and I can't run MilkyWay due to lack of a double-precision GPU.

I run MW and Collatz. 5770 on Collatz and 2 - 48xx's on MW.
5770 does well there.
 
Tell them to get some Folding machines then they won't have to run their heaters. :D

We'll miss you Tobit! Thanks for all the fun!


lol i live in hickville, aka spokane, Wa. no one owns computers out here. i mean hell the most popular thing here is the red box dvd machines that were just installed about 6 months ago. the same machines that have been in california for 10 years. heck people here still dont know what an iphone is.
 
I hate to see a folding brother leave, but every coin has two sides, so I understand.

I wish you well in your future endeavors. Hopefully, you will find comfort with BOINC.

someday, I need t research this BOINC. I have no clue what it even is. I have always ran F@H, and never researched any of the others.

Fish :cool:
 
Nice to see where the priorities are with these people (PG/FF).
Tobit's a threat for giving vague deets about upcoming stuff which drums up interest and keeps us motivated.....meanwhile bullshit like B&C Folding doing their cherry picking is still allowed.

K, glad I got the memo. :rolleyes:
Why not drop a deuce on my doormat while you're at it guys.
Maybe I'll move my resources elsewhere as well.
 
Back
Top