Finally upgraded - Windows 8 to Windows 7, a gamers point of view

There was an issue with the GFWL Client when Windows 8 first came out, but now its working fine, no issues and no work around.

My current system is for gaming on Windows 8. Very rarely do I have issues with my game library.

I have suspicions that this thread was meant to be flamebait for nomadic trolls & new users wanting a "good" fight. :rolleyes:

Not always. While that is true in many cases, win 8 was certainly about as bad a launch as vista. I went from vista 64 to win 7 64 and have far fewer issues and wtf? conflicts. Win 7 is currently the best gaming platform imo. Maybe when 8 or whatever is next gets the bugs out I will upgrade.

I have Win8 Pro x64.

I play games from 1990 to current (in fact I loaded up Star Trek 25th Anniversary the other day).

I play GW2, and have all the AAA titles from this year (2013), and have zero issues with them.

The only issue I have is with joysticks, as something is wrong with Windows 8 that causes it to 'forget' that the joystick is plugged in and being used with some titles like Flight Simulator X and Prepar3d. However, there is a workaround using a third-party application that polls for the joystick.

Aside from the joystick issue, no problems here.

Anyone who says that the only people who like or use Windows 8 are office users and/or "not gamers" is wrong.

Win 8 64 and I have problems with the original Crysis trying to get it to launch. I haven't really cared to Google to figure out what I need to do to get it to work. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/76561197978381846/

850 games just on Steam alone and no problems. Bunch more on UBISOFT and Origin. Everything runs a little smoother on Win 8 64 than Win 7 64. It's a better OS for my AMD FX-8120.

I had the odd issue. Some of my Tom Clancy games on steam won't launch now. But I'm not sure if that's specific to Windows 8 or because I did an upgrade and not a clean install of a new OS.

Most of my games run fine though.

Even Vista after SP2 wasn't nearly as bad as all the hate made out. Running 7 now with no need to upgrade to 8, but will go that route with any new builds. I know about the ME debacle, but still...I read Window's hate the same as Apple love, with a lot of skepticism.

I'm running Windows 8 with no problems what so ever. Only issue i've had gaming with Windows 8 is Fallout 3 crashing and it was an easy fix. Changed 1 or 2 lines in the .ini file and the crashes went away.

I run 8 at home and 7 at work. I realized after maybe 9 months of going back and forth that I actually like 7's interface better. Ended up buying Start8. Wish I could go back to 7-style Aero though. And yes I tried Windowblinds. None of this is annoying enough that I'd reinstall, though.

But, more on-topic, I have not had any problem with games that I wouldn't have had on another 64-bit Windows OS.

Been running windows 8 since release and haven't had any issues. I actually noticed improved SSD, network and USB speeds. I would prefer the Start menu to return but I just hit the windows key and start typing whatever program or file I need.

Been running windows 8 since release and haven't had any issues. I actually noticed improved SSD, network and USB speeds. I would prefer the Start menu to return but I just hit the windows key and start typing whatever program or file I need.

yeah, 8.1 added a little start menu button which is nice. still prefer that old start menu layout but you grow accustomed to the new style after a bit

windows store/apps is shit though

No issues with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Steam, Desura, Origin all work.

Any problems I did have were with drivers with AMD, but were fixed in later versions post Catalyst 12.xx.

Loving Windows 8. No problems whatsoever that's related to Windows 8 when playing games.

I mostly play LoL.

There was a time where LoL crashed like crazy but it was due to the stupid G15 applet that is always on (disable it through the config file).

Windows 8 is clunky and obnoxious enough to not want to use without creating false controversy regarding it's compatibility with other things.

I run it on my laptop so I'm familiar enough to fix it, in case we ever lose our minds and decide to convert our workstations to 8. It's a gross desktop OS, but it runs all my games just fine.

Windows 8 is clunky and obnoxious enough to not want to use without creating false controversy regarding it's compatibility with other things.

I run it on my laptop so I'm familiar enough to fix it, in case we ever lose our minds and decide to convert our workstations to 8. It's a gross desktop OS, but it runs all my games just fine.

I still don't understand this. What's so different from windows 7? Did you really go to the start menu for everything? I didn't, I had short cuts and stuff pinned to the taskbar. It's the same exact thing I do in windows 8 /shrug.

No issues at all with GuildWars 2 or LoL or any of my games in my massive Steam library. In fact, Guild Wars 2 runs much better in Windows 8. My frame rate has increased by 30% since going to Windows 8.

Win8 since around launchon several pc has worked great for me and others I installed for.

I haven't had a single problem so far... I've played a ton of things (and I'll spare the obnoxious list) and haven't had a single WELP I'M ON W8 SO I'M FUCKED issue.

Everything from Unreal 1 to Metro Last Light has worked fine. I didn't do any major benchmarking or detective work, but when I did the switch, it looked like I got a minor performance gain out of it as well. So I dunno, been fine.

For me it comes down to

"Hey windows 8 is out time to upgrade"

"Why?"

I just have no reason to, but I'm also that guy still using the windows classic theme with all visual effects disabled cause I like my performance the way it is. I'm told "some" games run better in windows 8 but all my shit runs fine.

Not always. While that is true in many cases, win 8 was certainly about as bad a launch as vista. I went from vista 64 to win 7 64 and have far fewer issues and wtf? conflicts. Win 7 is currently the best gaming platform imo. Maybe when 8 or whatever is next gets the bugs out I will upgrade.

Good point. I usually upgrade & stay put with the newest version of any OS I utilize unless something is extremely detrimental. If that happens, I either go back to the last version or look for alternates.

For me it comes down to

"Hey windows 8 is out time to upgrade"

"Why?"

I just have no reason to, but I'm also that guy still using the windows classic theme with all visual effects disabled cause I like my performance the way it is. I'm told "some" games run better in windows 8 but all my shit runs fine.

There is no need to upgrade just to upgrade. However, if you need to get a new OS Windows 8 is pretty damn solid. Yes, the lack of a start button is the biggest change but literally an hour of tinkering and you can teach yourself the nuances of the OS. I love it more so than Windows 7 now.

I didn't really see a drastic difference in gaming, well I did, but my main game rig I added 2 1gb raptors in raid, 512gb SSD, and doubled the ram to 32gb. I think that increased my performance moreso than the OS.

Not going to knock anyone for staying with Win 7, but if you do need to upgrade it isn't as bad as the naysayers say.

Name 5 games in the last 2 decades that runs on windows 7 that doesn't run on windows 8. Color me curious.

I'm sure a quick google search can answer that question for you better than me. I don't take notes when I read forums but know for a fact there are games with issues on Win8. OP is further proof.

I run 8 at home and 7 at work. I realized after maybe 9 months of going back and forth that I actually like 7's interface better. Ended up buying Start8. Wish I could go back to 7-style Aero though. And yes I tried Windowblinds. None of this is annoying enough that I'd reinstall, though.

But, more on-topic, I have not had any problem with games that I wouldn't have had on another 64-bit Windows OS.

Guy said he got Aero working using StartIsBack.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1776275

"Used both. Currently use StartIsBack. It's way cheaper (2 pc's for $3 or 5 pc's for $5).

There's also a guy whose got aero glass working complete with blurring effect, it's rather impressive."

BI would prefer the Start menu to return but I just hit the windows key and start typing whatever program or file I need.

That's great if you can remember the name of every file or program that is on your PC. I can't.

I'm sure a quick google search can answer that question for you better than me. I don't take notes when I read forums but know for a fact there are games with issues on Win8. OP is further proof.

Not my job to research your claims. Op is not proof considering numerous people on here weren't experiencing the same problems. I was kinda hoping your extensive experience with your 140 steam games could shed some light on these games which don't run on windows 8.

If the basis for your argument rests on threads found on the internet where people have problems getting games to work then windows 7 sucks as a gaming os because there are numerous problems related to gaming on it.

Your argument needs more substance than random internet threads and a gut feeling.

Last edited:

OP only posts two issues, one being issues with GFWL, which as I recall I had problems with when I was running Win7 as well, so does that mean Win7 sucks because of that one problem?

Also, OP states issues with game launchers for GW2 and LoL.
A quick Google search brings up a thread where other people are not experiencing that issue, and that people who were, with Win8, simply needed to update their drivers from base windows to proper manufacturer drivers, which seems more like user error than it being Windows fault.

Yep same thing happened with vista. it got a bit of bad press at launch so there after, every moron that had a issue with their pc while using vista blamed the OS.

and GFWL sucks, it doesn't matter what OS you have it on.

Last edited:
I can think of one: MechWarrior 2 3Dfx. That was released in 1995.

It isn't proof, though: it's just me saying it. Your mileage may vary.

That's great if you can remember the name of every file or program that is on your PC. I can't.
Start -> All Programs. It's actually the same number of clicks to get at versus Windows 7.

Yep same thing happened with vista. it got a bit of bad press at launch so there after, every moron that had a issue with their pc while using vista blamed the OS.

and GFWL sucks, it doesn't matter what OS you have it on.

Visa got a bit of bad press at launch? LOL what an understatement! Vista was panned at launch! Your just trying to sugarcoat the truth.

Then you say GFWL sucks without giving a single reason why. GFWL dosen't suck, it's windows 8 that sucks. GFWL is far superior to steam because when you launch a steam game you have to stare at a "preparing to launch" prompt for up to 30 seconds before the game will even begin to launch. On GWFL when you launch the game it fucking opens lol. Not in 10 seconds, not in 25 seconds, it just opens the game thank god! Lol.

Anyone have similar thoughts or experiences?

No.

I moved my home system to 8 awhile ago to see how it went and the answer is "just fine". I use Start 8 to get the start menu back, of course, because the start screen blows, but that is all it needed. I have encountered precisely 0 pieces of software that ran under 7 but do not run under 8. I started playing GW2 last week, in fact, and it simply installed and ran with no issues or complaints.

I haven't found much in the way of improvements, at least for games. For audio software 8 is a little better. Sonar has a bit lower latency and CPU usage with heavy plugin loads and such.

So while the interface is a step back, a $5 program can fix that and I've found no other issues. We've also rolled it out in a number of systems at work, again no technical issues.

As such my bet is you had some other problems. Incompatible hardware, a botched install, something you did wrong, etc. Something along those lines.

Visa got a bit of bad press at launch? LOL what an understatement! Vista was panned at launch! Your just trying to sugarcoat the truth.

Then you say GFWL sucks without giving a single reason why. GFWL dosen't suck, it's windows 8 that sucks. GFWL is far superior to steam because when you launch a steam game you have to stare at a "preparing to launch" prompt for up to 30 seconds before the game will even begin to launch. On GWFL when you launch the game it fucking opens lol. Not in 10 seconds, not in 25 seconds, it just opens the game thank god! Lol.

You're a bad man.

I upgraded to 8, but had more than enough problems/performance quirks with gaming and just about everything else to return to 7.

Wait, what?! You are literally (actually literally, not internet literally) the only person I have ever seen with this opinion. Ever. I usually try to be pretty moderate in my criticism of things, but GFWL is the fucking devil.

Wait, what?! You are literally (actually literally, not internet literally) the only person I have ever seen with this opinion. Ever. I usually try to be pretty moderate in my criticism of things, but GFWL is the fucking devil.

Plus it takes about a bloody minute just to sign in to the fucking thing. Sadly, two of my favorite games use it.

I have never been able to play Arkham City because of GFWL. Microsoft can't even design a basic f'ing password reset system. E-mailing their support team directly, detailing all the problems I have with the automated system...generates an automated e-mail directing me back to the automated system.

Many, many curse words were spoken that day. (A week after the support ticket was e-mailed, mind you.)

well i have never had issues with vista and i got it as soon as it came out. i wouldn't mind using it if dx11 worked on it. and the bad press was all blown out of proportion.

I am assuming your just rolling me with that GFWL comment.

Back