Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

Ever since the development team was restructured, there's been a lot more information flowing about what the team intends on doing, which is a nice change.

How are they communicating? I haven't been visiting the website, but I also haven't gotten any email messages in months from Square.

There's a series called "Letter from the Producer" that the producer writes every week or so. The latest one was the 12th one. In between those, there are snippets about upcoming changes and other miscellaneous info. Everything I mentioned is on the Lodestone. Surprisingly, a forum was recently set up where the development team actually posts, too (to what degree, though, I don't know).

the games pretty but I've heard nothing but foul since it came out I still keep my ears to the grind stone. I'd like to give it a shot if they ever get their problems sorted out.

The game is $15 at Gamestop now. I am going to check it out, and maybe kick around a bit with the free time people are still getting. I trashed the beta pretty hard earlier in this thread, because I was real excited for the game until I played it. Square keeps pounding away at it, so hopefully the $15 is at least worth it to monitor their determination with making this game not suck.

I kind of play this every now and then. Is there anything to do once you are level 20? I'm playing gladiator and I have no idea what to do in this game besides levequests, random behests, and the city storyline. In the next few days there will be a new patch that implements auto-attack and changes the fatigue system. I have high hopes.

Is there anything to do once you are level 20? I'm playing gladiator and I have no idea what to do in this game besides levequests, random behests, and the city storyline. In the next few days there will be a new patch that implements auto-attack and changes the fatigue system. I have high hopes.

You answered your own question, I am afraid. The ONLY thing to do in FFXIV is basically 8 guildleves every 36 hours. A behest every 30 minutes or so at whatever camp is appropriate level for your region. Mostly the camps near Ul'dah seem more active.

If you are doing those, you're pretty much living the game to its fullest in terms of content. 8 little mini-hunt-three-monsters style quests every 36 hours. Then you eventually grind your way to level 50 or try another job out of sheer bordem hoping the game will get better.

Once your rank 50 though, there's not a lot to do...your level 50 and ...yeah. ... ... ... You're level 50! ... I don't know how to make that sound exciting since there are no lvl 50 dungeons or raids in the game. So rank 50 is like an e-peen contest. At which point, you de-inflate you epeen and start again with another job at rank 1 or wherever you left a job off at.

The problem with the game is there's nothing to do and no content. Age of Conan while incredibly unpolished, barren and nothing to do after Tortuga at least had some content in terms multiple dungeons while leveling. Similarly, a year after launch they had several new dungeons added and 2 raids. By comparison, SE had added about 10 quests to each city...and made the UI go from extremely slow to a bit less clunky.

The game is $15 at Gamestop now. I am going to check it out, and maybe kick around a bit with the free time people are still getting. I trashed the beta pretty hard earlier in this thread, because I was real excited for the game until I played it. Square keeps pounding away at it, so hopefully the $15 is at least worth it to monitor their determination with making this game not suck.

If you hated the Beta, you'll still probably hate the game as it is right now. You still need to get repairs from crafters for your gear. NPC repairs durability only part way. Still only 8 guildleves per 36 hours. Still no auction house. All the common gripes remain. To fill you in on what you've missed with over 13 years of Square Enix's "pounding away at it" as you wrote it is:

A lot of promises of what would be accomplished and nothing accomplished except; SE had added about 10 quests to each city...and made the UI go from extremely slow to a bit less clunky.

If you hated the Beta, you'll still probably hate the game as it is right now. You still need to get repairs from crafters for your gear. NPC repairs durability only part way. Still only 8 guildleves per 36 hours. Still no auction house. All the common gripes remain. To fill you in on what you've missed with over 13 years of Square Enix's "pounding away at it" as you wrote it is:

A lot of promises of what would be accomplished and nothing accomplished except; SE had added about 10 quests to each city...and made the UI go from extremely slow to a bit less clunky.

Damn I missed this post in time. Bought the game on my way home today. I am already bitter that the game still doesn't have a downloaded client and the standard updater (with forced P2P) is slow :p Just watching the "Time Remaining" slowly tick down right now. I liked FFXI, maybe its just wishful thinking that they will ever fix this given 10 month of me not paying attention to it.

Until this, I think the last time I had to put a DVD into my computer was a year ago to copy the Windows 7 setup files to a SD card...

UPDATE: Some real brain teasers on the account page as well:

"Add Platform to Service Account

A new platform has been added to your service account.

*To create characters on your FINAL FANTASY XIV service account, you must possess automatically continuous options."

LOLWHAT?!? Seriously their whole account management process is barely comprehensible. I can sign into FFXIV however I then get kicked out on the character page saying that I lack the correct options on my account. When I log into my account, nothing (and I mean nothing) indicates when game time begins or expires.

Also it looks like I might be REQUIRED to sign up for a ClickAndBuy account just to log into the game after activating my retail code? And what the hell is this:

In order to validate your creditcard, we will take a reservation of $ 2.40. The amount will be refunded to you in a couple of hours.

That sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. I backed out of the Clickandbuy account process at that point, haven't played the game yet since I can't log in without this.

Last edited:
Use the crysta(sp?) option instead. That C&B deal is a bunch of bulllllllshit.

I ended up being given a FFXIV CE by a buddy of mine who works for GS.

Use the crysta(sp?) option instead. That C&B deal is a bunch of bulllllllshit.

I ended up being given a FFXIV CE by a buddy of mine who works for GS.

I can no longer select the Crysta option. Anytime I return to that account page now, it just dumps me into the screen to complete the ClickAndBuy registration. Switched browsers and everything, same problem. I can't remove the ClickAndBuy since I never completed it...

This shit is full retard :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
I'm not going to pretend that I know much about this game anymore, but Square added a mount video to their youtube list so I figured that I'd link it for you'll that used to play. I guess this means there are mounts in the game or coming soon.

Mount video.
Raid video.
Newer Dungeon video.

If it's old I apologize. Like I said it just showed up in my youtube subscriptions list and I don't follow the game much.

I like those videos. Too bad it took them this long to release all this; I already cancelled my account twice, and don't know when/if I will come back for the 3rd time.

It's sad to say, but I enjoyed Aion a hell of a lot more.

Is there any redeeming qualities at this point? Has it been improved in the last few months? I'm still in the 'Wish this game was worth playing" camp, and especially if its free, I'd like to take a crack at it if theres anything worth enjoying.....

Carzy amount of news came out today regarding FFXIV 2.0

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/

They are switching to pay 2 play towards the end of this year, and when 2.0 drops will resume with a free trial for everyone to try 2.0. They are settings everyone account to cancel before they switch so nobody who doesn't want to, doesn't get screwed.

http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_Specs_EN.pdf

The PDF shows a lot of what they doing, completely redesigning the graphics engine, the maps, everything. They will be transferring character data essentially into a new MMO, allowing for custom UI's, and a ton of other things.

Pretty ballsy, but they are doing exactly what people said needed to be done.

Wow, that was totally unexpected. Very much looking forward to 2.0. The PDF makes it look like a completely different (and far supierior) game - a total rebuild. But it's so far away.. late 2012.

Quick summary of what they're aiming for from the PDF:
- 'Genre-leading graphics on high-end PCs' (more scalable graphics engine while supporting the current systems)
- Fully renewed UI (will allow user-made add-ons)
- Scrapping/reworking repetitive areas (all of them basically) to be more unique
- New server system because the current one is inherently flawed
- Worldless model (similar to EVE Online?)
- PvP (grand companies will battle?)
- Auction house, mail/item delivery
- New races/characters/character customization

2.0 concept:

Last edited:
now that I support if they can make it like that. I would go back in a heartbeat and support their services if they polished this game by the end of the year. Looks promising.

Well I bought this shit 5 months and I still can't play it due to SE having the absolute worst payment and billing restrictions ever created for a MMO. They still refuse to allow any payment method accept clickandbuy which is shady and has some disagreeable policies. SE must have their heads really far up their asses if they can't even see the faults they have with simply accepting people's payment method for a MMO they ARE NOT CHARGING ANY MONEY FOR RIGHT NOW. Plus they still have stuff like this on there account sites:

List Options Continued Automatically

Please add new characters and reactivate automatically continued options from the Options List.
There are no automatically continued options.

What makes it so freaking hard to just have a page that lists someone's account and when it expires... The whole thing feels like not one single English speaking person looked at any of the pages and tried to make them logical for people in the US. I even picked up a prepaid credit card now just to sign up for clickandbuy, and clickandbuy rejects the card. I figured the card was bad, then went down the street and bought a bag of chips with it no problem.

i bought the collectors edition of this game. never been so disappointed.. hope 2.0 is dope

Currently a free month going on for this allowing people to return and see what they have done to the game.

Anyone else decide to give this another shot?

I've found myself enjoying it quite a bit. The changes are welcome, and while it's still not perfect, it's getting there.

what are the main changes that is making it better? got a pugilist and LW to 50 and quit...... never looked back. this is before they nerfed leveling -.-

Wow, that was totally unexpected. Very much looking forward to 2.0. The PDF makes it look like a completely different (and far supierior) game - a total rebuild. But it's so far away.. late 2012.

Quick summary of what they're aiming for from the PDF:
- 'Genre-leading graphics on high-end PCs' (more scalable graphics engine while supporting the current systems)
- Fully renewed UI (will allow user-made add-ons)
- Scrapping/reworking repetitive areas (all of them basically) to be more unique
- New server system because the current one is inherently flawed
- Worldless model (similar to EVE Online?)
- PvP (grand companies will battle?)
- Auction house, mail/item delivery
- New races/characters/character customization

2.0 concept:

That ss look entertaining, what are all the dots at the bottom right?

what are the main changes that is making it better? got a pugilist and LW to 50 and quit...... never looked back. this is before they nerfed leveling -.-

Ehh, hard to explain, it just feels better. There actually seems to be stuff to do now, the jobs and AF seem pretty interesting, leveling doesn't feel quite so grind-y, and I don't know, it just feels like it has some of that character XI did.

Maybe nostalgia is getting the better of me?

edit: Though I must add, most of those changes mentioned in the above 2.0 spill still are not implemented yet. It seems like small changes, We're still missing a real auction house, the new engine, etc.

Hey guys how's this game looking for now? I know it was pretty bad during launch but I've heard they've made a bunch of changes, and also 2.0 coming out. Is this worth trying out right now? Especially since it's only $20?

I've just been looking for a jrpg's and mmorpg's recently, and I think this fits the bill.

In case anyone missed the preview of 2.0 at E3, you can find a few screenshots here.

Wow, the game looks great! Are those real in-game screenshots? Definitely looking forward to that 2.0 patch.

Unless thats how it already looks without the patch?

Wow, the game looks great! Are those real in-game screenshots? Definitely looking forward to that 2.0 patch.

Unless thats how it already looks without the patch?

All copies of this game need to be gathered and publicly burned as it is heresy to call this a MMO. I'd really hate for someone to buy this so called "game" based on the screen shots.

Friends don't let friends play FFXIV!

Well, honestly it looks like that now, a bit better really. (depending on what you're looking at). Those screens are the new engine, which was made to run better on lower end machines/PS3. So certain things like the trees and vegetation took a hit are are much lower res that the current build of the game. Though, in 2.0 they will also be re-working the environments a bit, which shows in those screenies. The current game's environments look a bit more, "generic fantasy".

...and honestly the game is perfectly enjoyable now. It was a mess at launch, but it's come a long way. It's still very slow, (if you hated FFXI, you'll probably still hate XIV), but can definitely be called a "game" now.

In case anyone missed the preview of 2.0 at E3, you can find a few screenshots here.

saw this the other day... so amazing man. absolutely breathtaking

i bought the collectors edition of FF14.. fucking A what a mistake.. 2.0 looks promising as shit though

Back