Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

I can understand the frustration some of you are having. Fortunately for me, I've always gotten logged on first try (mid to late morning Mountain time), and even if I didn't get into the Levi server immediately, it was only a couple of minutes max in the queue (the queue that's been there since at least early access). I guess I'm just lucky. I've been playing a huge amount every day, and I'm still enjoying the heck out of the game.

well my plans to play all week are being ruined by their shit ass server system. Ran akh script for an hour last night never got in, going on 30 mins now with it running as well

I ran it for the last 20 minutes, but now it's fuckin broken because the JP servers are down and the cursor defaults to World selection instead of my character. :mad:

Another MMO filled with braindead ranged DPS. What the hell is with people who roll those classess? It's been trouble in WoW, Lotro, DDO, ToR and other games. Do they take their brains out when they roll rangers or thaumaturges?

Low level dungeon, the one that you have to lure big turtle into the fumes of herbs. Took us longer than needed, becasue the retarded archer was running in cicrles, shooting boss and stealing aggro (and yes, tank at lev 16 has limited tools of threat generation).

Then, when you meet the thaumaturges with their AoE spells, even trash pulls become a challenge, when before you might even get enough threat, they just go all out, and outthreat you.

Also the cross-server duty Finder makes everyone behave as moron, who exactly knows, that he won't meet you again, so he can be dickhead.

I just call for pugs on /shout or in FC, and ignore dutyfinder

The problem I find is people don't talk (in pug's).

You forget some people are doing that dungeon/duty the first time, and they may have joined in the middle of it and not know what to do, if no one points it out they might just think you're meant to attack him.

Same goes with Halatili and the "blob" guy, I joined that dungeon half way through and got to him, my first time, and I kept attacking him not realizing you were meant to let the caps explode on him until someone told the group and then we cleared it just fine.

If someone is new (and you've done it before) just tell them what strategies to do/tricks.

Also mark targets, that makes it so much easier on the ranged dps guys to pick out mobs and in what order to make sure they only attack what you do and don't target a different mob.

I'd say don't buy it..the battle system is probably the weakest part of the game...the only time it gets interesting for me (lvl 25 archer) is when I pull aggro off the tank in an instance....there's a set standard rotation that you will become numb to after awhile...there's really no 'thinking' in fights..people bitch about having 30 different buttons on other mmo keyboards, but its there to make CHOICES...heck in this game, you can macro your rotation spells and hit 2 or 3 buttons

higher lvl peeps are already complaining of boredom and a 'small' world

and I was grinding fates and 2 lvl 50's with the magitek mount were doing it alongside me...now, i asked myself, is that what i have to look forward too?!!! ugh

I'll get my $30 first month worth out of the game...I highly doubt I'll pay a sub for MOTS gaming (more of the same) but I really want to see the housing areas in the 2 other zones...it may come down to subbing every now and then

ymmv

I realized I've been spoiled by games like guild wars 2 and Tera so the combat is kind of a step backwards. That's why I decided to be white Mage, so people like you keep the experience fresh for me lol (healing your ass). But turn based combat has a golden place in my heart especially from final fantasy games.

personally I think more can be done in regards to mmo combat.

I am not a huge fan of the older style mmo combat, where you have a zillion skills and hotbaras fill up your screen and you watch this bar and that bar and wait for the cd's to use this or that.

The "action" mmo's so far have been quite weak. Tera had a much much better "dodge" mechanic then Guild wars 2, but both still rely on the "hotbar" system of skills.

Neverwinter "felt" the best out of all of them, mainly because it used a crosshair-based camera/movement system and free'd up your hands so you could quickly use your skills, it relied more on "muscle" memory then other mmo styles while still providing use of skills.

However I think more can be done. Why has no mmo did a combo system? (Similar to fighting games), it doesn't have to (or need to be) as complicated as a fighting game (IE half-circle stick rotation, a+ b and jump down x, etc) but just give players the ability to combo skills, which in turn create new attacks and give each tactical reasons for using that skill.

Then you can free up skills based on their use.

Like for example, as a Lancer in the game we have a back-stab attack that gives us damage if we attack with it from behind. Why not simply put this onto our main thrust-attack? If we use said attack from behind, we get a bonus. Why does this need to be a separate skill?

A lot of mmo's have so many skills that could be used in a combo system with other skills to both give more depth to a combat system but also free up valuable screen space and rely more on muscle memory then hotbars.

FFXIV combat I am torn on, I like that it's not a zillion skills and a huge number of hotbars (at least for now), I'd rather watch the game then bars, but I do find it a bit boring, but that's how I find most mmo combat systems (from EQ to WoW, etc). You will always get into a "rotation" type of system with these, where you know exactly what buttons to press in what order to do the most dps, only popping your other skills when they are needed (IE self heal, CC break, etc).

Though I knew going into the game that's how the combat was, I'm enjoying the exploration and story elements, combat is just something to fill the gap until a mmo takes a leap and does true action-combat or something new.

Personally I'd love to see an mmo that just moves away from hotbars and goes for something like the range combat in Mount and Blade, with the melee combat in Severance (aka blade of darkness), and the ability to combo/mix and match skills like in Kingdoms of Amalur.

I loved the skillchain combos in the combat system in FFXI, I was hoping it would show up in FFXIV.

This is the AHK script I use. Ctrl+Alt+Spacebar toggles it on and off. You can change that to whatever you want knowing that (^ = control) and (! = alt).

Code:
Pause On
Loop 
{
    {
        Sendinput {Numpad0}
        Sleep, 1000
    }
}
^!Space::Pause
return

Got booted out a while back when exiting a guildleve. Couldn't load the NA/EU list. All is well now. Popped in queue first try and loaded a few seconds after.

I can't get in at all, just server is full every blody time.

This is like FIVE days now (not in a row, but since early access) that I haven't been able to play when I want, usually can only play really really late at night and almost no one is on (lots of afkers though).

I just can't figure out how NO ONE at SE thought "Hey, we should have an afk kick, like almost every single other mmo has, so people don't afk and clog up our servers!"

"oh no, we won't have any problem with afkers and server loads, we'll be fine."

Also why does it take this long for them to get new servers? I mean I've experienced this issue in other mmo's at launch (not enough servers) and they almost always were able to get servers up a day or two after launch to alleviate the server stress.

Last edited:
I can't get in at all, just server is full every blody time.

This is like FIVE days now (not in a row, but since early access) that I haven't been able to play when I want, usually can only play really really late at night and almost no one is on (lots of afkers though).

I just can't figure out how NO ONE at SE thought "Hey, we should have an afk kick, like almost every single other mmo has, so people don't afk and clog up our servers!"

"oh no, we won't have any problem with afkers and server loads, we'll be fine."

Also why does it take this long for them to get new servers? I mean I've experienced this issue in other mmo's at launch (not enough servers) and they almost always were able to get servers up a day or two after launch to alleviate the server stress.

they are actually adding more equipment for bigger capacity / servers
instead of spawning more on same hardware
they are planning long maintenance on up coming weds 9/4

I know, I'm just saying, early access started last friday, sot hat's over a week+ to get new servers up and running, when in my experiences with mmo's most companies are able to throw up new servers in a day or two tops.

I know, I'm just saying, early access started last friday, sot hat's over a week+ to get new servers up and running, when in my experiences with mmo's most companies are able to throw up new servers in a day or two tops.

and yea whole shit goes down cuz of overload

Anyone else getting stupid High Vram usage on the game?

For some reason it shows 2.7gb vram usage for me on 326.8 nvidia drivers.

Edit: That's after 24hrs+ of uptime in the game.

Last edited:
Anyone else getting stupid High Vram usage on the game?

For some reason it shows 2.7gb vram usage for me on 326.8 nvidia drivers.

Edit: That's after 24hrs+ of uptime in the game.

not seeing that at all. you using the frame limiter still?

adaptive vsync and triple buffering, i forced it.

So how are the login problems overall this weekend? Need a macro still to have a chance?

Was using the limiter, changed it now, not in game atm, servers full.

Was also getting black blocks in explorer windows when tabbing, until i reset the pc, weird.

[L]imey;1040166588 said:
anyone else struggling to find the US realms tonight?

I have been trying for the past 13 hours to login. Sometimes both the NS and JP sets of servers just disappear. If I ever get back on I'm just going to AFK until the servers go down.

I managed to get on once after an hour of trying. But after 10 minutes of playing the game crashed on me and I can't get back in because of the server being full.

I'm running the 13.8 amd beta driver, but I've read that people seem to have cured their crashing issue with the beta2 driver. Beta 2 driver is now installed, but only if i could log back in... lol

I'm running the beta2 and I am still crashing out periodically.... Wish it would quit

I just got my second class to 50 (lancer/dragoon and now thm/black mage) does anyone know if you can accept more then one relic weapon quest? Thanks.

Mad[H]atter;1040166939 said:
I just got my second class to 50 (lancer/dragoon and now thm/black mage) does anyone know if you can accept more then one relic weapon quest? Thanks.

Jesus. How do you guys level so quickly?

I am taking my time, leveling up multiple classes in 5 level intervals.

I've got my guy with lv 22 archer, lv 20 lancer, lv 19 pugilist, and lv 15 arcanist.

I think I might have maybe taken tanker or a healer class, as I can NEVER get into a dungeon in any decent time lol, as a dps it takes you 40min-1 hour to get into a dungeon.

Most people will tell you to use "join in progress" to get in quicker, but in my experience DON'T. Because a lot of the times after you've waited the 40 min to get in, it'll throw you into a dungeon with like maybe one other person, then it will still have to find a tank and healer, which in turn can take up to over another 40min-1 hour. You are much much better off just waiting the initial time to get put into a new group rather then one in progress, so you start out with a healer/tank already in your group an don't have to wait for anyone.

I literally did joined a group yesterday (in progress), and got into it with one other dps, we waited about 10 minutes, then he left, then in popped another dps and a tank, but no healer. We decided to try to do the dungeon with just us three (two archers/mar), we could kite quite well but it was a pita, we wiped a lot but kept going. We ended up doing the entire dungeon and never got a healer to come in, over an hour and it never found one.

I am taking my time, leveling up multiple classes in 5 level intervals.

I've got my guy with lv 22 archer, lv 20 lancer, lv 19 pugilist, and lv 15 arcanist.

I think I might have maybe taken tanker or a healer class, as I can NEVER get into a dungeon in any decent time lol, as a dps it takes you 40min-1 hour to get into a dungeon.

Most people will tell you to use "join in progress" to get in quicker, but in my experience DON'T. Because a lot of the times after you've waited the 40 min to get in, it'll throw you into a dungeon with like maybe one other person, then it will still have to find a tank and healer, which in turn can take up to over another 40min-1 hour. You are much much better off just waiting the initial time to get put into a new group rather then one in progress, so you start out with a healer/tank already in your group an don't have to wait for anyone.

I literally did joined a group yesterday (in progress), and got into it with one other dps, we waited about 10 minutes, then he left, then in popped another dps and a tank, but no healer. We decided to try to do the dungeon with just us three (two archers/mar), we could kite quite well but it was a pita, we wiped a lot but kept going. We ended up doing the entire dungeon and never got a healer to come in, over an hour and it never found one.

As a tank I haven't waited longer than 10 minutes so far... :D

Finally unlocked duty finder on my conj. Queue for salamanras was instant. Tank was a little incompetent, he tunneled one target and everything would come after me after 1 heal. I just unlocked tam tara before I passed out. Is it worth grinding the dungeons for gear upgrades? No caster gear dropped at all in my first time through.

Funny, in my free company all the normal working guys are 50 except 4 :p Everyone else is crafting and running dungeons, etc. For those that don't know you get a 50% XP boost when you have a level 50, so fate grinding goes ridiculously fast for your later classes. So no one knows about the relic weapon question?

Mad[H]atter;1040167236 said:
Funny, in my free company all the normal working guys are 50 except 4 :p Everyone else is crafting and running dungeons, etc. For those that don't know you get a 50% XP boost when you have a level 50, so fate grinding goes ridiculously fast for your later classes. So no one knows about the relic weapon question?

Ill say it again, you don't have to have a level 50 to get the 50% exp boost. you get a 50% exp boost for all your classes that are lower than you highest.

i.e. if you have a level 25 conj, you get 50% exp boost on any other class to level 25.

It also isn't a buff, it just shows as bonus exp in you chat box

Never said it was a buff, but I didn't know about the lower level part. This is probably the easiest MMO I've leveled in.

So since Monday the little time I had to attempt to play during the week was met with errors. Now for the last 24-ish hours it won't even let me click "Start". This is fucking ridiculous. So far the only time I've been able to actually play a decent amount is during the god damn open beta.

anyone else having trouble finding the NA servers today?
i was chanting victory earlier because i was getting through and it kicked me with a lobby server error, since then i havent been able to see the NA servers even though status say they are online

Mad[H]atter;1040167347 said:
Never said it was a buff, but I didn't know about the lower level part. This is probably the easiest MMO I've leveled in.

I know. i was just adding that part in b/c some people don't think they have it.

Back