Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

While it's nice to have an end result, if you don't like the journey what's the point?;)

There is no journey with a 48 hour beta that gets wiped. ;).

There IS a journey when you play countless hours after Phase 4 hits ;).

There is no journey with a 48 hour beta that gets wiped. ;).

There IS a journey when you play countless hours after Phase 4 hits ;).

which is exactly why i'm sitting at work right now wasting time on forums rather than at home wasting time on ffxiv.

My character got transferred over from last beta. I'm assuming it'll get wiped after this weekend though, correct?

which is exactly why i'm sitting at work right now wasting time on forums rather than at home wasting time on ffxiv.

+1 - Makin' money while waiting for the weekend isn't a bad thing.

I more want to play so I can figure out what class I will build first. I'm really liking my healer so I think I will stick with it but I wanna see it levelled up a bit more to decide.

My character got transferred over from last beta. I'm assuming it'll get wiped after this weekend though, correct?

No, they are doing wipes only between phases, not during the phase. So last weekend was the first test weekend of the current phase 3, and all progress you make during the phase won't be wiped until the phase ends.

Let me rephrase:

No, that is not correct - all progress you make during the phase won't be wiped until the phase ends, for which an end date has not yet been established.

Well, I was going to bitch about the size of your screen shots, but making me shrink my screen down made me think about just how awesome a multimonitor setup would be.
The extra real estate is pretty welcome. Although, i'd appreciate it alot more if my 6970 didn't want to heat up like a frying pan :mad:

Speaking of which, does anyone happen to know if they've made any updates to crossfire/sli support yet?

holy mother of dear god. the story is AMAZING so far. oh jesus. I need this game like NOW

holy mother of dear god. the story is AMAZING so far. oh jesus. I need this game like NOW

I've been skipping most of the story stuff on purpose for now. I rather just wait until the open beta when I start my official character to experience the story. That said, the game is still quite fun even w/o knowing what is going on lol.

ok, this sealed the deal..I'm a sucker for a good story....I just wanted someone to mention it...the crafting system looks pretty involved too from what I read about...and I actually prefer the 'slow paced combat of old' vs the 'action rpg experience' they're coming out with lately...for $30, I'll definately check it out in 2 months when it goes live...and the fact it will require a sub should keep out the rug rats

at first i was all into it because the combat is fun, the visuals are great, the story is really non existant below level 10ish? but after you get the basics down (go here, kill these, adventure here) you start getting solo instance'd fates. and OH DEAR LORD they are amazing and SHIT im only level 16. the story, cut scenes, and the impact of this "struggle" ill call it its pretty genius. and ive only scratched the surface. it was a Instant buy after i got done with the first "epic" battle.

I'm really bummed that every zone you go to you load, it's not a seamless world anymore.

Also the game could use some voice overs.

Last edited:
I'm really bummed that every zone you go to you load, it's not a seamless world anymore.

I believe I read somewhere that the main storyline will be voiced for release. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Ohhh, I was gonna say it feels really quite on those main quest lines.

Did you really expect the entire game to be only ~7.2G? I'm betting there are a TON of assets not in the beta builds.

I believe I read somewhere that the main storyline will be voiced for release. Maybe someone else can confirm.

MP : Today, a lot of MMO are using voice over and cutscenes in their quests, even in small quests, what about Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 ?

Yoshida : For the main quests and the main scenario, we will going to have full voice over, not only in English but in French, German and Japanese as well. However, we have a concept not to voice over the general quests. The reason we decided not to voice the normal quests is because we believe having more quests is the most important thing; if we want to have an update every two months, and let's say, we add 200 quests, and if we want to have voices in four languages over these 200 quests, it's going to take four months to do the voice over. Rather than spending time in voicing these quests, we wanted to keep adding more small quests but we will make sure the main story line will have full voice over.

MP : Can we choose the voice language in the options?

Yoshida : Yes you can.

We had to make a choice, do you prefer having 10 quests with a four-language voice over or 200 quests in each version update? Most likely, you will want the 200 quests.

Source: http://ffxiv.jeuxonline.info/article/10892/interview-of-naoki-yoshida-during-the-japan-expo

I prefer the seamless world without loading each zone by far.

Yea, I heard because of PS3 limitations they had to remove the seamless world for loading zone to zone. But I guess FFXI was like this, so it isn't too awful.

Have been having a lot of fun with the healer. Have run the first 3 instances a few times each and it's been real easy to find a group.

If anyone needs a hand with them, just hit me up. ID: Coffaholic Thethird

So what's every ones opinion on the combat system? It seems to be the main gripe of the game.

Personally, I feel it's a bit lack luster is the skill department; lack of diversity with skills. I guess that leads it to be spammy too, just spam a couple of skills over and over.

Also, why just remove GCD and just have different CD's on each skills?

Yea, I heard because of PS3 limitations they had to remove the seamless world for loading zone to zone. But I guess FFXI was like this, so it isn't too awful.

1.0 was "zoneless", but that lead to copy/paste ugly terrain and caused lots of server load congestion in populated areas. The way it's set up now allows for more unique zone designs and allows for high concentrations of players with very little server congestion.

So what's every ones opinion on the combat system? It seems to be the main gripe of the game.

Personally, I feel it's a bit lack luster is the skill department; lack of diversity with skills. I guess that leads it to be spammy too, just spam a couple of skills over and over.

Also, why just remove GCD and just have different CD's on each skills?

It definitely still needs work, but the way you describe w/o the GCD and having individual timers was how it was in 1.0 and it did not male it feel "less spammy", in fact it locked you into a set rotation; let's face it, there's no way to really remove the spammy feel from an action MMORPG unless you go for a slow feel a~la FFXI which was an annoying waiting game. What the dev.s are trying to do with FFXIV:ARR is find a middle ground, but I really don't think there is one and all that we're seeing so far is a cumbersome GCD model.

I have to say I personally appreciate the "lack" of skills though. Currently sitting at 31 MRD; I can comfortably keep up with using every ability during a boss fight (with movement and add mechanics) and keep track of everything going on without stress. While you can spam a few abilities over and over and play your role ok-ish (up into the early 30s at least), it isn't optimal, but there should be a wider gap between "facerolling" and optimal play (I hope nearing end-game we see it).

So what levels are everyone up to now? I hit 22, finished the main story (all they had for beta, though I didn't pay attention at all as I want the voice over lol), and gave Ifrit a beatdown. Gonna work on crafting and getting my chocobo next weekend.

Does anyone have a good link on how the jobs work? I know I need a secondary class but I'm not sure of all the combinations I can have with my CNJ. Would like to get that all figured out.

Jobs or classes?

I know you can be every class, and from what I heard, stat allocations are per class as well.

I believe you can also take on every job with a single character, but I havent found a confirmation for that.

Jobs or classes?

I know you can be every class, and from what I heard, stat allocations are per class as well.

I believe you can also take on every job with a single character, but I havent found a confirmation for that.

Jobs are extensions of classes, they basically focus your role with more powerful moves that excel at it; but to answer your question, yes, you can be every job as long as you have the corresponding class and have completed the quests that go along with it.

Rift had an amazing number of possible skills, yet for every class, there were only a couple of skills that were used, as they were simply better than the rest. The end result, is despite the variety, everyone used the same skills. Well, except for the people who didn't know any better, and they did sub-par damage. Not really sure people want lots of extra skills no one will actually use.

Now that we've had two weekends' worth of testing in phase 3, including access to our imported 1.0 characters, what's everyone's current take on the game?

I for one was VERY skeptical that SE was going to have a build of the game being tested for this phase at a good enough state to have the NDA lifted without committing suicide. We all know how terrible the 1.0 release went, and how much SE has riding on the re-release of 2.0, that I figured if they botch this beta phase while at the same time lifting the NDA, then they're be digging their own grave for a second time. Yoshi-P must have been supremely confident in what was being delivered for this phase to lift the NDA.

So far, my fears have been alleviated, as the general consensus seems to be that things are in pretty good shape. The game is not without its flaws, and there's still a lot of content that we haven't tested yet (duty finder, endgame combat, etc), but nothing that I have seen so far has been a glaring, game-breaking issue. For what it's worth, this has been one of the most stable betas that I've ever participated in.

Though only time will tell how well this game actually does, all signs seem to be pointing in the right direction at this point in the game.

Back