I don't really have an issue with the leveling in the original FF2 except needing to stop all progression every once in a while to beat on each other just to increase your HP since the next dungeon is 5x harder than the overworld region surrounding it. The later versions at least added some natural HP progression so you didn't have to do that all the time. Otherwise it makes sense at the most basic level with what they were going for, but the rest of the game was really not designed around it very well. The fact that there are only 4 or 5 enemy difficulty ratings throughout the whole game that dictates how fast you get skill and stat increases really kills the pace and contributes to the frustration of the required grind in between dungeons. To be fair, though, this game was developed in only half a year before going out the door and onto store shelves.

Yeah, but why do they even have mages in the game, if you're stuck reversing your progress (after you've run out of spells inside a cave, or on your way back to a town.)

Should I just kill-off my mages when this happens?

Or should I treat it like FF5 , where once you gt Ninja ass-kicking, you don' t really need spells? But I don't think FF2 has the same seamless Job System?

Is there something I'm missing in this game that you can do that owon't have an active effect on your character stats?

Last edited:
Yeah, but why do they even have mages in the game, if you're stuck reversing your progress (after you've run out of spells inside a cave, or on your way back to a town.)

Should I just kill-off my mages when this happens?

Or should I treat it like FF5 , where once you gt Ninja ass-kicking, you don' t really need spells? But I don't think FF2 has the same seamless Job System?

Is there something I'm missing in this game that you can do that owon't have an active effect on your character stats?
Magic regression doesn't happen all the time if you decide to use physical attacks every once in a while. I just keep them in the back row and swap in a bow when they run out of MP or I don't want to waste MP. In the end the deficit isn't going to be large enough to hurt your mages.

Played a bit of FF1 this morning. I like it a lot. It definitely looks and plays much better than the videos shows. Despite speculation to the contrary this version has all the balance updates and bug fixes of the later versions, although you do have magic level points instead of MP and level cap is 50. It looks more like a remastered version of the GBA release than the original. If it doesn't include the extra content, it won't be the end of the world, but it does seem a little odd that this version would be based on one of the later releases that had it.

One neat new feature is the bestiary having an interactive isometric world map that shows you where exactly in the world every monster you encounter appears, along with question marks to let you know there is something you missed if you're trying to complete it. There is also now 8-directional movement instead of just 4, with your character automatically traversing the walls if you're pressing against them. It makes using the sprint feature much easier. One annoying little thing is that the game won't detect your controller if you have Steam configurations turned on for it. I had to remap my Dualsense controller with keyboard controls to be able to play the game with it. I certainly wasn't going to be using the D-pad on an Xbox controller.

If you're looking for the best experience of the original version of the game then the PlayStation version included in Final Fantasy Origins is still the best way to do it. The game looks great using the Mednafen PSX core or the newer Duckstation emulator.

Magic regression doesn't happen all the time if you decide to use physical attacks every once in a while. I just keep them in the back row and swap in a bow when they run out of MP or I don't want to waste MP. In the end the deficit isn't going to be large enough to hurt your mages.
Yeah. if the rest of the game didn't bore me stiff, I could work around the broken leveling

The level cap in this version of FF1 is actually 99 just like the GBA version. When I was level 13 by the time I got to the Marsh Cave I knew you wouldn't cap at 50. I'm now at level 18 as I got to Melmond. You only need to reach level 50 with your party for one of the achievements, though. Surprised to see people are still complaining about the difficulty despite all the features that make this version much easier than the NES version. Only way I could explain that is people are not buying the supplies they need all the time, like Potions and Antidotes.

Looks like FF2 is also based on the GBA version with its balance changes and bugfixes, as well. There is no stat regression because of this defaultluser.

Will be interesting to see if all the bugs have been worked out in FF3 and what balance changes they made there as the original Famicom version was janky as hell.

Do the FF randomizer.

I'm sorry man, I know you Diablo Freaks think this is the solution to everything, but I can't imagine that working around he piss-poor game-play, and boring story for FF2 nes.

If I hate the original, then obviously I will ADORE the Enhanced re-rolled Edition!

Meanwhile, I'm in presently replaying FF4 for the 15,000th time (so no, I don't need a randomizer to replay a good RPG).

I'm sorry man, I know you Diablo Freaks think this is the solution to everything, but I can't imagine that working around he piss-poor game-play, and boring story for FF2 nes.

If I hate the original, then obviously I will ADORE the Enhanced re-rolled Edition!

Meanwhile, I'm in presently replaying FF4 for the 15,000th time (so no, I don't need a randomizer to replay a good RPG).

well, 4 is the best of the 8 bit/16bit era FF games.

the randomizer has lots of options to it that actually make FF1 less frustrating to play, like faster movement, better XP and money per battles and such. You can change it a lot. I enjoy the randomizer but I couldn't play the base game ever again.

the randomizer has lots of options to it that actually make FF1 less frustrating to play, like faster movement, better XP and money per battles and such. You can change it a lot. I enjoy the randomizer but I couldn't play the base game ever again.
I hate randomizers. I've actually unfollowed many people because they have changed to doing nothing but randomizers and they're horrible to both watch and play yourself, in my opinion.

Also, you're about to bring out a lot of people decrying you for not saying 6 was the best :ROFLMAO:. I'm with you that 4 was the best, though.

I hate randomizers. I've actually unfollowed many people because they have changed to doing nothing but randomizers and they're horrible to both watch and play yourself, in my opinion.

Also, you're about to bring out a lot of people decrying you for not saying 6 was the best :ROFLMAO:. I'm with you that 4 was the best, though.

Yeah, 4 is much better than 6 - after finishing it once, there's just way too much annoyance OPTIMIZING-EACH-GODDAMNED level with limited Espers to choose from.

Oh, and the fact that they went swap-able party (to copy DQ4) without the ease of the entire wagon getting experience in the over-world makes leveling up to 80 a pain-in-the-ass.

I have never beaten FF6 a second time, And as for the game they copied, they fixed the piss-poor AI-only controls ON the DS port, making DQ4 the superior game to FF6.

Last edited:

I think randomizers can be fun, but it heavily depends on the game. Zelda ones are probably the best as they can really test your knowledge of the game and it's mechanics. I haven't been overly impressed by many of the FF ones I've seen people play.

Yeah, 4 is much better than 6 - after finishing it once, there's just way too much annoyance OPTIMIZING-EACH-GODDAMNED level with limited Espers to choose from.

Oh, and the fact that they went swap-able party (to copy DQ4) without the ease of the entire wagon getting experience in the over-world makes leveling up to 80 a pain-in-the-ass.

I have never beaten FF6 a second time, And as for the game they copied, they fixed the piss-poor AI-only controls ON the DS port, making DQ4 the superior game to FF6.
Nah. 6 is the best FF period. Sure if you were so OCC about min/max it was annoying but you could easily become super over powered with 2 items that none of that mattered. 4 is my 2nd since it holds a special place in my heart. It was the game that got me into jrpg when I was like 10.

Nah. 6 is the best FF period. Sure if you were so OCC about min/max it was annoying but you could easily become super over powered with 2 items that none of that mattered. 4 is my 2nd since it holds a special place in my heart. It was the game that got me into jrpg when I was like 10.

To level up near the end of the game, I just go to dinosaur island and spam dual-cast ultima.

Never cared for 6 but I also think FF8 is better than 7 :)

8's story is a mess, but I do really like the world and there are a ton of great concepts. I absolutely love the whole concept of GFs messing with memory and the idea behind a lot of the stuff with the sorceresses, plus all the Laguna bits. However, none of it really comes together well. Same with the drawing and junction system. Triple Triad is still one of my favorite FF mini-games though.

Yeah, but 4 doesnt have sabin suplexing a train in it....

Yeah, but 4 doesnt have sabin suplexing a train in it....

Only if you are good at Street Fighter moves -otherwise, he's just another worthless fighter - if you get it wrong, he does nothing.

Cyan is also worthless - his special attack ties up the rest of the party waiting (so never worth it, beyond level 1)

Locke's steal ability quickly becomes pointless (even with auto-steal attack, most drops are crap)

Edgar's tools become pretty pointless in the second half of the game

Gau can at least whip out Rage pretty effectively through the entire game (but he is the only useful pure fighter out of the five!)

Because most of these fighters suck at their given specialty, you are forced to make a few of them better mages (and thus the pain of swapping Magpow+ espers RIGHT BEFORE every level, as early as possible)

But is a single silly battle (featuring a Sabin move that will never hit a boss ever again, because they are mostly too fast for Suplex) is good enough for you to ignore the rest of this games incomplete characters? Thas a lot of game wasted doing nothing but Pummel and occasionally pulling-off Fire Dance (for those us who can't learn 6+ button combos, with such delayed feedback)

https://www.thonky.com/final-fantasy-three-six/list-of-sabin-blitzes

A single cute battle doesn't excuse the other 75 boring levels from ruining a replay

Last edited:
They made Warmech a lot rarer in FF1 this time around for some reason. A lot of people are complaining that they're farming for it for hours not finding a single encounter to finish their bestiary. It took me nearly three hours to finally run into one, and it ran away right before the round in which I would have landed the final blows. At least seeing the encounter counts for the bestiary, so you don't actually need to beat it for it to count. In the original NES version I always happened to be in the right place on the RNG table to always run into a Warmech as soon as I stepped on the bridge, even though it was supposedly a 3/64 chance.

Chaos has between 10,000 and 20,000 HP, which is similar to the GBA and PSP version if I recall correctly. I wasn't keeping explicit track. I wasn't able to hit damage cap with my Ninja like I was able to in the GBA version during the battle, so it seems they put a limit on how much Temper will stack.

Started playing FF2 after finishing FF1. Am liking the balance changes in this one. I'm actually progressing from point A to point B doing what I want and not needing to worry about micromanaging my stats. The game still feels challenging enough, especially during boss encounters, but they feel really good.

Looks like all three of these releases have the same skeleton around them, as the menu and inventory system is exactly the same as FF1. The translation here is pretty good this time around. Seems to be at least the same quality as the newer Chaos Rush fan translation of the NES game.

Seems like they may have gotten rid of the hidden magic penalty stat for gear in this version, as no matter what I've been equipping my damage or healing output has been the same. Cure I from the start was healing for almost 200 HP despite using it on Frioniel with heavier gear on. Taking off all his armor and giving him a knife resulted in the same amount of healing. Also, there is no physical immunity for characters or enemies placed in the back row. Instead, physical damage is reduced by half. I can't remember if they did this in the later versions of the game as well.

One thing I'd like to mention is that the new renditions of the soundtrack are quite excellent. The only one I wasn't thrilled about was the mix in the final visit to the Chaos Shrine at the end of FF1. They tried to do this kind of weird techno thing with it and it just doesn't work.

Completed all 3.

As Armenius stated, the Final Fantasy Origins PSX version is probably the best way to play. Well, technically, I'd guess it would be the Wonderswan Color version would be the definitive version (assuming you can read Japanese). Those to me feel like they're the most consistent upgrades. What I mean by this is that the PSP version and GBA version sometimes feel like certain aspects were upgraded more than others. Those feel more consistent with what a 16 bit game would have been without some effects that you'd never see on the SNES.

In terms of the Pixel Remaster, parts sort of feel like a late NES, early SNES game (in terms of sprites), but some of the effects look a bit too modern. The upgraded music is awesome. But the real downside to this port is the font. They really need to fix this, and stop making things look like they were developed for smartphones first.

I do like some of the enhancements, such as the mini map (though I feel it could have been translucent rather than opaque), and a few other balance changes. I'm not quite a big fan of being able to move in diagonal directions. And the game is far more balanced. No more Peninsula of Power, but you won't need it, as you level up faster now, so there's far less grinding. But the games also feel a bit too fast. Adding a run button is fine. But it feels like the full games are roughly moving at 1.5x the speed of the original NES/Famicom games.

*EDIT*

This is a godsend.

Last edited:
Completed all 3.

As Armenius stated, the Final Fantasy Origins PSX version is probably the best way to play. Well, technically, I'd guess it would be the Wonderswan Color version would be the definitive version (assuming you can read Japanese). Those to me feel like they're the most consistent upgrades. What I mean by this is that the PSP version and GBA version sometimes feel like certain aspects were upgraded more than others. Those feel more consistent with what a 16 bit game would have been without some effects that you'd never see on the SNES.

In terms of the Pixel Remaster, parts sort of feel like a late NES, early SNES game (in terms of sprites), but some of the effects look a bit too modern. The upgraded music is awesome. But the real downside to this port is the font. They really need to fix this, and stop making things look like they were developed for smartphones first.

I do like some of the enhancements, such as the mini map (though I feel it could have been translucent rather than opaque), and a few other balance changes. I'm not quite a big fan of being able to move in diagonal directions. And the game is far more balanced. No more Peninsula of Power, but you won't need it, as you level up faster now, so there's far less grinding. But the games also feel a bit too fast. Adding a run button is fine. But it feels like the full games are roughly moving at 1.5x the speed of the original NES/Famicom games.

*EDIT*

This is a godsend.

I don't have an issue with the font. I honestly would not have thought there was an issue if not for the people complaining about it. I found it easy to read, and I don't think it is "out of style" as so many people say. I think people are just expecting it to look as it always did from that era and feel unnecessarily offended by the new font. Maybe that is different depending on the size of your display and what resolution you use.

Yes, the games are much faster. Even with the Warmech farming I finished the first game in about 8 hours, ending with a party level of 57. The NES version with message speed 7 usually takes me around 10-12 hours to casually get through, so 1.5x speed seems like an accurate number. I do appreciate how much faster the games move, though, as I feel the slowness in the original was quite a drag and why I couldn't sit and play it for long stretches. I find myself not wanting to stop playing these new versions once I've started despite them still largely being the same games.

What are your thoughts about FF3? I've been reading about some of the changes they made and it seems like they are welcome, for the most part. Most notably not needing CP to change jobs and some jobs being made more viable so you don't need all Ninjas for the end of the game.

Final Fantasy IV is supposed to release next Wednesday.

I finished FF2 and noticed a few things. Firstly I was incorrect in my assumption that magic penalties on equipment was gone or reduced. They just seem to not be as harsh at lower levels despite them being noticeable at such time on the Famicom version. Physical evasion seems a lot harder to level compared to the original. By the end of the game on Famicom my party would typically be around 8x or 9x, but I only managed to reach 5x by the time I reached Jade Passage. That included grinding out weapon levels to 16 outside the lake on Salamanders. The final boss dies in two hits with the Blood Sword and sword skill at level 16. Overall I think I enjoyed this version more than any of the past releases. The translation seems to be the best official one, and the game just felt like it progressed a lot smoother from a gameplay perspective compared to other versions. I admit that I never got around to finishing the PSP version, though.

Started with FF3 and was quickly reminded of why I did not like the original game all that much. There is some really uneven difficulty at the beginning with the bosses and how the first jobs progress through their levels. The story also does not lay out your motivation as well as even the first game does, so there is really nothing to hook you early on with no central plot laid out and a number of disparate characters. I'll still play it through to the end, but so far it is pretty much exactly how I remember it.

Update released to fix various issues with the first three games. Link is to FF3, but the fixes apply to all the games released so far.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1173790/view/2970674840715059668

These are the updates that apply to all of them:

The main updates are as below.

*If the game was played after selecting “Fullscreen” or “Borderless Windowed” in the display settings and the game is closed, it will start with the same settings.

*The window size on initial start-up will now match resolutions for various monitors.

*Made improvements to alleviate screen tearing that can occur with some PC environments. This update focused on windowed mode, and will continue to be worked on.

*Fixed the following issues.
・Under certain circumstances, the graphics may become corrupted when restarting the game after returning to the title screen.
・If the OS region setting is set to certain regions, some graphics may not display correctly.

Further updates are planned, including overall stability and speed improvements.​

These apply to FF2:

・After defeating the enemies in the front row, the enemies in the back row may not be treated as front row.
・”Cure” and “Life” do not function correctly while “Blood Sword” is equipped.
・Using certain spells repeatedly during battle may slow down processing.
・Escaping to the world map from certain towns under certain circumstances using Teleport or Warp may cause a blocker bug.
・Fixed some text.​

And FF3:

・During battle with certain enemies, the game may stop progressing if all allies are defeated except a Dragoon using Jump.
・Certain event battle conditions may be difficult to fulfil depending on the character progression level.
・Fixed some images and text.​

I gave Part 4 a couple minutes during my lunch break. Something just sounds off with the intro music.

I gave Part 4 a couple minutes during my lunch break. Something just sounds off with the intro music.
They released a patch shortly after the game became available. I didn't see anything about sound in it.

I'm waiting for FFVI (FFIII in NA), which was the first RPG I played back on the SNES, but I don't think there's a release date yet. Played the hell out of that game.

I played FFIV (FFII in NA) afterward but I don't recall actually finishing it.

Played FF4 for a few hours last night. Got to Fabul before stopping for the night. There is nothing wrong with the music, it just sounds different due to the new performances and mixing. The original SNES soundtrack was a lot cleaner in that it had that digital cleanup type of sound. The thing I noticed immediately in this version when the menu music hit is that the flute sounds a lot more natural since they didn't clean it up. The performance impacts me more in this way and I like it as much as the rest of these releases so far. They really did an excellent job.

As for the game itself it doesn't look much different except for some more detail in the sprites and textures, but that was really to be expected. I didn't think I'd like the unified menus across these releases at first, but I do like the consistency now that I'm used to them. Seems a little sad that Fat Chocobo is now useless in both this game and FF3 due to the unlimited item bag, though. The script also seems to be similarly consistent in good quality with this game, as well. I am glad that they kept the "spoony bard" line from the original translation in this version after they got rid of it in other recent releases. Also nice to see that the dancers are not censored like FF2 US.

I finished FF2 and noticed a few things. Firstly I was incorrect in my assumption that magic penalties on equipment was gone or reduced. They just seem to not be as harsh at lower levels despite them being noticeable at such time on the Famicom version. Physical evasion seems a lot harder to level compared to the original. By the end of the game on Famicom my party would typically be around 8x or 9x, but I only managed to reach 5x by the time I reached Jade Passage. That included grinding out weapon levels to 16 outside the lake on Salamanders. The final boss dies in two hits with the Blood Sword and sword skill at level 16. Overall I think I enjoyed this version more than any of the past releases. The translation seems to be the best official one, and the game just felt like it progressed a lot smoother from a gameplay perspective compared to other versions. I admit that I never got around to finishing the PSP version, though.
Interesting. Evasion was definitely far superior to physical defense in vanilla FF2; just looks what happens to your poor evade if you try to equip the Genji Equipment. Wondering how that effects endgame difficulty given Emperor (and other endgame bosses) can wreck you if they get multiple hits in.

Also interesting that it sounds like magic penalties for armors is back; pretty sure those have been removed going back to Origins.

Started with FF3 and was quickly reminded of why I did not like the original game all that much. There is some really uneven difficulty at the beginning with the bosses and how the first jobs progress through their levels. The story also does not lay out your motivation as well as even the first game does, so there is really nothing to hook you early on with no central plot laid out and a number of disparate characters. I'll still play it through to the end, but so far it is pretty much exactly how I remember it.
FF3 was a course correction after the reaction to FF1, hence why the story is slimmed compared to the (for the time) epic that existed back in FF2.

At least in the original the beginning isn't too bad; Warrior + Monk + RM + WM gets you off the floating isle, where you then transition as jobs become available. The key is to switch as needed and not have a static party (the 3ds remake killed this due to job levels).

The NES pacing actually felt right; you got a full set of Scholar equipment right before the one boss you need it's skill for. Right off the Floating Island you can purchase the equipment needed to transition your Warrior to a Viking. Facing Garuda? Here's three full sets of Dragoon equipment. Splitting enemies? Good thing the town next door sells Katana's for your Dark Knights. The problem is people feel the need to keep their jobs static, rather then re-classing as equipment becomes available or based on the situation at hand.

Interesting. Evasion was definitely far superior to physical defense in vanilla FF2; just looks what happens to your poor evade if you try to equip the Genji Equipment. Wondering how that effects endgame difficulty given Emperor (and other endgame bosses) can wreck you if they get multiple hits in.

Also interesting that it sounds like magic penalties for armors is back; pretty sure those have been removed going back to Origins.

FF3 was a course correction after the reaction to FF1, hence why the story is slimmed compared to the (for the time) epic that existed back in FF2.

At least in the original the beginning isn't too bad; Warrior + Monk + RM + WM gets you off the floating isle, where you then transition as jobs become available. The key is to switch as needed and not have a static party (the 3ds remake killed this due to job levels).

The NES pacing actually felt right; you got a full set of Scholar equipment right before the one boss you need it's skill for. Right off the Floating Island you can purchase the equipment needed to transition your Warrior to a Viking. Facing Garuda? Here's three full sets of Dragoon equipment. Splitting enemies? Good thing the town next door sells Katana's for your Dark Knights. The problem is people feel the need to keep their jobs static, rather then re-classing as equipment becomes available or based on the situation at hand.
Evasion is still an important stat in FF2, it just seemed like it was harder to gain levels through playing the game normally. I never tried the dual wielding of shields to see if that still worked, but it wasn't really necessary as I was still able to get through the game okay. The evasion is a bit of a problem with some of the end game enemies when their base damage is 200+ per hit and they can hit up to 9x or more. If your HP isn't up to snuff then you will die rather quickly. I still went with cuirass for the whole party and avoided most gauntlets to have the least evasion penalty. In the end the last boss was still a pushover even with just one Blood Sword in this version of the game, but getting there through the last two dungeons was a little rough.

I don't know about armor penalties being removed in other releases, but they were definitely still there in Origins. Plate armor universally give a 75% penalty compared to just 1% for cuirass armor. With the Pixel Remaster I think they gave the penalties a curve that got worse as your characters developed, since as I said they were not as readily apparent when I first started the game. In PR they were definitely obvious from the middle part of the game onward.

On FF3 my problem with the pacing is there is a big stretch of not doing a whole lot after lowering the sea level on the planet, and if you haven't played the game before it is not readily apparent where you're supposed to go next. The Pixel Remaster makes it easier, though, since you can access a detailed map at all times. I actually rather liked that the game has situations in it that force you to change jobs, otherwise as you say people will never change them. FF5 largely lacked these kinds of more obvious moments and even I fell for the same trap trying to play through that game originally. I never did end up finishing it. If the good balance changes are consistent with these releases I shouldn't have an issue with finally finishing FF5.

On FF3 my problem with the pacing is there is a big stretch of not doing a whole lot after lowering the sea level on the planet, and if you haven't played the game before it is not readily apparent where you're supposed to go next. The Pixel Remaster makes it easier, though, since you can access a detailed map at all times. I actually rather liked that the game has situations in it that force you to change jobs, otherwise as you say people will never change them. FF5 largely lacked these kinds of more obvious moments and even I fell for the same trap trying to play through that game originally. I never did end up finishing it. If the good balance changes are consistent with these releases I shouldn't have an issue with finally finishing FF5.
The issue with FF5 is it wants you to outright Master jobs so their base stats/intrinsic abilities are inherited by the Freelancer/Mimic classes for the endgame. And due to the shockingly low AP gains in FF5 this more or less forces you to either spend an ungodly amount of time grinding, or focusing on mastering two or three jobs per character. Farther, because of the ways abilities work, certain class builds are far more potent then others [Example: Ninja (Intrinsic Dual Wielding) plus Hunter (X-Fight for four attacks per equipped weapon) plus Magic Knight (Swordtech for elemental weapon attacks); assign to a Mimic and you "still" have an open ability slot to use.]

Early game AP gains need to be seriously buffed if class swapping is ever going to be a thing. Even late-game, the tombstones under Castel Bael remains the easiest grind spot (due to being weak to Level 5 Death)...for 4 AP a pop. And when certain classes take over a thousand AP to master...yeah.

Tried FF1 for the do not know how many time again, by removing the game mechanic that your attack can became wasted on already death enemy there is not much level to do in term of strategy in the common fight (balancing killing enemy has fast of possible but wasting the less amount of attack while doing so was the usual mental gymnastics of the first one, for fight not important enough to use magic or items which can tend to be most of them), I did not remember that your started with so much money to equip your team has well.

Tried FF1 for the do not know how many time again, by removing the game mechanic that your attack can became wasted on already death enemy there is not much level to do in term of strategy in the common fight (balancing killing enemy has fast of possible but wasting the less amount of attack while doing so was the usual mental gymnastics of the first one, for fight not important enough to use magic or items which can tend to be most of them), I did not remember that your started with so much money to equip your team has well.
Auto target was added with Origins and has been in every rerelease since. Yes, you start with double the money as originally and the prices of everything was cut in half. No auto target was just an annoyance, let's be honest. The pseudo random nature of the battle system really did not make manually choosing the target of your attacks any more strategic.

The pseudo random nature of the battle system really did not make manually choosing the target of your attacks any more strategic.
It seem to me that did make the target of attack more strategic (I was maybe dumb has a kid), like I said in the message you did quote has a kids playing I did try to maximize opposing element:
1) Killing the enemies has fast of possible to receive less attacks
2) Not waste attack

Those 2 objective are in direct tension, so often I would put someone that is likely to hit on an already damaged enemy (and kept track of it), 2 medium likely on the same enemy and so on, now it seem that simply letting everyone attack the strongest ennemy come at no cost, thus no choice to make (and even tracking of past damage done not that important if having any importance at all now).

It was annoying, but it was the only source of taking any decision in most combat (has for many class of character you will simply attack every turn, which target being the only question) and annoyance is often the road to feeling some accomplishment, one of the only time you felt good about your strategy in FF1 was when you did estimate that a creature would have die with only 1-2 or 3 attack and not focus all of them on it and that you calculated had the luck this time to be exactly right and maximise your attack and killing has fast has possible the ennemy that hit the most has fast as possible, now nothing is left to do at all it seem.

Last edited:
I just plowed through everything in FF4 over the weekend. Took me about 10 hours. Was this version really dumb down? See extremely easy compared to the SNES version. Only time I games over was at the Ragnarok Bahmut clone. He wiped everyone with a what must of been a critical Mega flare at the start. Smashed his face in 2nd try.

I just plowed through everything in FF4 over the weekend. Took me about 10 hours. Was this version really dumb down? See extremely easy compared to the SNES version. Only time I games over was at the Ragnarok Bahmut clone. He wiped everyone with a what must of been a critical Mega flare at the start. Smashed his face in 2nd try.
The amount of XP needed to level was cut in half, so you're going to be more than likely overleveled the further you get into the game. I used to have a hard time with Mombomb right near the beginning, but my whole party was barely scratched from her explosion due to the XP change.

The amount of XP needed to level was cut in half, so you're going to be more than likely overleveled the further you get into the game.
Yea I noticed that I was leveling like crazy. I never stop to grind once the entire time. I already had meteor on Rydia near the beginning of the final dungeons. I remember I had to grind a lot to get it on the SNES. I am going to jump in FF2 next. It is the only FF I never beat. As much as I loved FF back in the day I could never get into 2 for some reason. Probably the leveling system was the main reason.

Back