Yea I noticed that I was leveling like crazy. I never stop to grind once the entire time. I already had meteor on Rydia near the beginning of the final dungeons. I remember I had to grind a lot to get it on the SNES. I am going to jump in FF2 next. It is the only FF I never beat. As much as I loved FF back in the day I could never get into 2 for some reason. Probably the leveling system was the main reason.
The changes to FF2 actually made it fun to play, in my opinion. The original Famicom version is such a slog with the need to micromanage your stats to ensure you won't get face rolled when entering a new dungeon.

The changes to FF2 actually made it fun to play, in my opinion. The original Famicom version is such a slog with the need to micromanage your stats to ensure you won't get face rolled when entering a new dungeon.
Blasphemy!

Seriously though, I feel I'm like the only person I know who actually liked FF2. In fact it was my fav. Final Fantasy game. But I'll admit I'm a bit strange.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the dumbing down though. It takes away from the game. I feel they could have at least added an option to play the newly remixed Story Mode where you didn't ever have to worry about gold or XP, and an original mode, with all the grinding mechanics in place.

Blasphemy!

Seriously though, I feel I'm like the only person I know who actually liked FF2. In fact it was my fav. Final Fantasy game. But I'll admit I'm a bit strange.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the dumbing down though. It takes away from the game. I feel they could have at least added an option to play the newly remixed Story Mode where you didn't ever have to worry about gold or XP, and an original mode, with all the grinding mechanics in place.
Not going to lie, I still grinded HP and MP in FF2. Evasion was leveling slowly so I needed some extra cushion at the end of the game.

Spent last night playing FF2 and I am not hating it. It is weird not knowing wtf I need to do to move the game along.

Especially early. FF2 isn't *that* bad once you learn the traps, mainly that you need to prioritize evasion over defense (NEVER use the Genji Armor!) and you need one spellcaster to deal with specific enemies (the Land Turtle being the first one that's absolutely required). Outside of that, natural HP growth did a decent enough job for front row characters of staying in a "decent" range; it's the other stats the often suffered.

I know as of the GBA remake the game gave periodic automatic HP gains; also re-did the magic leveling system to make magic level up faster at earlier levels (which helped a lot early, and in turn helped with MP growth).

Mechanically, FF2 was ahead of it's time; games like the Elder Scrolls series did automatic stat leveling better. But from a story perspective FF2 has a lot in common with FF4; it was an epic story for it's time, but that got lost behind the poorly implemented mechanics.

Final Fantasy V comes out November 10.

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1453393802023014403
1635356452990.png

My biggest complaint about FFV was the very low rate of AP you gain; even late a shocking amount of enemy formations only give 1-2 AP. This in turn disincentives changing classes, since even with moderate grinding (I grinded the Tombstones under Gaulf's castle, since they are vulnerable to Level 5 Death and give like 5AP per) it's unlikely you'd master more then 3 classes. And Mastering classes MATTERS for the Freelancer/Mimic jobs at the endgame.

If Square does nothing but modify the AP given, it's automatically the definitive version of the game.

If it goes similarly to the rest of the games, the xp will be doubled, the ap will be doubled, the gold will be doubled, and the monsters will be weakened tremendously.

That's the one thing that bothered me about the games. They need a way to have the original difficulty, if only for an option.

If it goes similarly to the rest of the games, the xp will be doubled, the ap will be doubled, the gold will be doubled, and the monsters will be weakened tremendously.

That's the one thing that bothered me about the games. They need a way to have the original difficulty, if only for an option.
None of the game touched the HP except for increasing it in some cases. Chaos in FF1 has around 20,000 HP, which I believe is 10x the original game.

I've been waiting for FFVI so at this rate it seems like we'll see it in January? I wonder if they'll try to get it out for the Xmas shopping season.

Thing is, just doubling the AP results in the exact opposite problem; I played a ROM hack for the SNES version that did exactly this, and mastered about half the classes with each character with no grinding required. You really need to tune the AP by encounter so (for example) an encounter with 2 Goblins gives 1 AP, and the one with 3 gives 2 AP. [Both give 1 AP in the normal game]

Just finished FF4 tonight, really hit me in the feels and brought back the memories from when I beat it on the SNES 30 years ago. They really tuned it well, barely did the grinding I did in the original and I finished it in about 21-22 hours. Very happy and looking forward to 5 and 6.

Just finished FF4 tonight, really hit me in the feels and brought back the memories from when I beat it on the SNES 30 years ago. They really tuned it well, barely did the grinding I did in the original and I finished it in about 21-22 hours. Very happy and looking forward to 5 and 6.
FF4 was excellently paced; very little grinding required. Pretty much all the FF's past that point turn into grindfests as you go through the game.

FF4 was excellently paced; very little grinding required. Pretty much all the FF's past that point turn into grindfests as you go through the game.

Maybe it is a bit ridiculous to think like that and I can imagine value of just redoing it to resee the arts like watching a youtube gameplay of an old game, but for some of those FF games, having to grind was almost the point (specially the first one), it is not like the story or dialog were any good or the actual gameplay during a fight interesting. Old game did tend to make sense only if they were hard to go through or they could have been done in a day.

Last edited:
For those of you waiting for FF6, Final Fantasy VI T-Edition has just been translated to English. It's one of the most popular ROM hacks for the original game, which has only been available in Japanese until now.

http://tomato.fobby.net/ff6-t-edition/

WHAT TO EXPECT:

FF6 T-Edition is a popular Japanese ROM hack of Final
Fantasy VI for the Super Famicom. It's intended for
Final Fantasy VI fans who would like to play the game
with new twists.

Think of Final Fantasy VI T-Edition as a fun, lengthy,
and more difficult version of Final Fantasy VI from an
alternate universe.

In simple terms, this ROM hack:

- Retains the original story, but adds a LOT of new
content *around* the main story, including side
quests, locations, dungeons, super-bosses,
unlockable character costumes (each with stat
changes), a music player, and more

- Celebrates the Final Fantasy series in countless
ways, including hundreds of pieces of music from
other games in the series

- Updates the game's mechanics with bug fixes,
difficulty modifications, new spells, new attacks,
new items, and a whole lot more

Awaiting to see which bugs sneak through; they better at least make all of Gaus Rage's available

It was broken, since the attack selection is random, and the chances of encountering your desired enemy on The Veldt was nearly impossible!

Might as well turn him into a pure attacker (and keep the bare-minimum number of Rages)

It was broken, since the attack selection is random, and the chances of encountering your desired enemy on The Veldt was nearly impossible!

Might as well turn him into a pure attacker (and keep the bare-minimum number of Rages)
Nah, the enemies on the Veldt rotated in a defined pattern. The problem was that certain boss enemies could never appear (Sigmund/Typhon come to mind, and I believe there was one other I can't recall offhand) because their formation data wasn't programmed for the Veldt. A few enemies were also missible by RNG (Red/Purple Rovers were missible if you had bad RNG on the encounters coming out of the Magitek Research Facility).

The *real* annoyance was the enemy set (six total) for each group of enemies is totally random and from my observations bias a f against some formations. I made game-genie cheats to force each encounter set, and sometimes still took an hour plus to get a specific encounter.

Last edited:
did they make these in rpg maker vx or vx ace? I can't tell...

FF6 is out now for anybody who missed it. I know a bunch of people in this thread were waiting for it.

SE is really going insane with special edition prices.

SE has gone crazy with prices for several years really. They’ve always been able to get away with charging a lot for rereleases and remasters.

That said, while I think the price of the physical edition is a bit high it’s lower than I expected. $12.50 per game almost seems reasonable.

So, my Collector's Edition arrived.

What I like: They added more features to keep it similar to the original. You can turn down the gold and XP to half to match the original experience, and you can even bump it up to 4x the amount if you're sick of grinding. This gives everyone the ability to get the game they want. Either you can make it super easy, or you can get almost the original experience. And it allows you to switch to the original sound track as well as the remastered one. The "old" graphics though are just a small filter, which I might as well keep the new graphics on, but that exists on the PC. Regardless, it's nice having a 90% original experience (with better graphics), as that was one of my complaints with the original Pixel Remaster, just being way too easy, and no way to change it.

What I don't like. Seriously, why can't they just put in a working font? The legacy font is just the current font, but pixelized. You have a much better font with just replacing the English font with the Japanese one. It's bigger and more pronounced, and this works even better when you use a TV you're not sitting close too. It just looks super weird to have a story screen, which in the NES/SNES games, had text evenly spaced throughout the entire screen, and now it's super squished into a tiny portion on the top of the screen. Like I said earlier, just replace the English font with the Japanese one, and everyone is happy. Easier to read, and it's literally a 30 second fix for the developers.

An update has been published that introduces the much-requested feature to allow players to switch between the new "modern" font and the original font. You are also now able to choose between the new music arrangement or the original soundtrack. "Boost" features present in other rereleases of Final Fantasy games such as speed up no enemy encounters have also been added. I guess the Boosts were already in the console versions, so it's now feature parity.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1173820/view/7002601053202136465

■ Major new features
  • Assistance features have been added to the config. menu. These new features open up a wide variety of gameplay possibilities. They offer options such as applying a x0 to x4 modifier to the amount of EXP, gil or Magic AP obtained or turning enemy encounters off.
    > It is now possible to use holding down the right stick or the F3 key as a shortcut command for switching between encounters
  • A “BGM source” option has been added to the config screen. This allows you to select between the special “arrangement” BGM made for this version of the game or the “original” versions in the style of the original game. In addition, both versions of the music can be listened to from the sound player.
  • A “Font type” option has been added to the config screen. This allows you to select between the “modern” font made for this version of the game or the “classic” font in the style of the original game.
■ Additions and alterations to game menus
  • It is now possible to load saved data from the menu screen.
  • It is now possible to open the pause menu while travelling or during battle. You can also return to the title screen or check control settings from the pause menu.
  • An option to switch movement speeds has been added to the config. screen. This allows you to switch the default movement speed from walking to running. Holding down the cancel button while moving will move characters at the other speed not set as the default.
    > It is also possible to switch between movements speeds using the F1 key or holding down the left stick as a short cut.
  • It is now possible to view the monster bestiary from the in-game config menu
  • It is now possible to select to fight against a monster of your choice from the monster bestiary on the title screen. The game progress from the most recent save data will be applied to decide what monsters the player can select. (It is not possible to select to fight monsters from the monster bestiary on the config. screen)
  • A “config.” option has been added to the title menu. Most of the same settings that can be changed in-game can also be changed from here.
  • Improvements have been made to the “Espers” menu screen layout.
  • Improvements have been made to the layout of the party member selection screen shown at specific times during the game.
■ Other changes and adjustments
  • The following improvements have been made to adjust the overall balancing of magicite and the bonuses that improve specific statuses when levelling up while magicite is equipped.
    ・Raiden Str +2 ⇒ Speed +2
    ・Alexander: None ⇒ Str +2
  • It is now possible to skip scenes during the game’s opening and ending.
  • The presentation of the opening section of the game has been partially changed.
  • The controls for the battle commands “Defend” and “Row” have been changed. It is now possible to select “Defend” by pushing the right direction or “Row” by pushing the left direction while selecting commands.
  • The “auto” icon is no longer shown on the battle screen as standard.
  • Some changes and adjustments have been made to game graphics.
  • Some changes and adjustments have been made to sound effects.
  • Several bugs have been fixed.

Back