Fermi NDA lifts tonight?

WOW really NDA lifting this soon?

Wasn't it Nvidia who gave a bunch of shit to ATI For a paper launch?.

Either way, cannot wait to see this :)

Good thing the 5850 dell deal is delayed. Gives me time to cancel if the Nvidia NDA lift produces anything that makes the wait worth it.

Yep, NVIDIA pulling back the covers on their latest tech deep dive we attended on Fermi last week. Lots of good stuff to be shared but still a lot o stuff held back.

yeah and I am sure Nvidia will price these at least somewhat realisticly compared to the competition. the only good thing about Nvidia being late is that they know exactly where ATI stands on price and performance.

It's good as long as AMD stays put. But we all know they've got a refresh in the pipeline just waiting for Fermi. That's the great thing about having a half year advantage with a pretty well-tested 40nm architecture. Still, I more than welcome some additional competition in the graphics card market. It's good for us all.

It's good as long as AMD stays put. But we all know they've got a refresh in the pipeline just waiting for Fermi. That's the great thing about having a half year advantage with a pretty well-tested 40nm architecture. Still, I more than welcome some additional competition in the graphics card market. It's good for us all.

Exactly. Remember the 4890 was a VERY fine tuned 4870 core, that the ADM/ATI engineers did.

But I agree I think ATI will have a refresh, but will it be able to stay up there with Fermi (if fermi is that good).

Only time will tell. I also don't think we will be getting performance Numbers here, Maybe some Demo's and Early info like ATI did with eyefinity.

I smell some delicious 5870 clearance sales coming.
Reminds me of the $220 GTX 280 from this time last year.

So when is it released? Thread says tonight but I think that was last night. Im gonna assume Tuesday?

I smell some delicious 5870 clearance sales coming.
Reminds me of the $220 GTX 280 from this time last year.

Why would that be. There is over a $100 price diffrence between the 5870 and the 5850. $379 and $259. If the nvidia cards are indeed faster ati will simply reduce the price between the 5870 and 5850.

If you look at these two products they are the same chips but the 5850 has texture and stream processors disabled. So its obviously bad yields of the 5870. There is also rumors of the 5830 coming out also.

Ati can reduce prices and put the 5870 at $300 , the 5850 at $250 and a 5830 at $200. Their pricing structure can already handled this with little affect on the lower end chips as the 5770 is msrp'd at $159 .

Also the 5870 was released at the end of sept. IF the reports of retail fermi parts not reaching us till march the 5870 will be half a year old. It can certianly be time for a refresh and we already know existing 5870 boards can clock at 1ghz and over a refresh 6 months later should do the same giving them a 150mhz core clock increase and with faster ram should give them a nice boost.

Sure I don't think that a 1ghz 5870 is going to suddenly over take the leads fremi will have but it will easily bridge the gap between the release of fermi and when ati's new tech comes out.

Remember the fermi is going to be 3- 3.2billion tranistors while the radeons are 2.15B. So ati will have a pricing advantage .

I see shades of last gen again with the 4850/70/90 fighting against the geforce 280 and the likes. They weren't allways as fast (most of the time slower than competing parts ) but they had a prficing advantage.

Anyway my ideal card would be 5870 features and performance at $250-$300. So hopefully the fermi is very competitive so we see prices drop to these levels. Can't afford 3 monitors with such expensive video cards :)

For me it's always a question of stock cooler. Noise vs performance. Will have to wait and see what Fermi's coolers sound like.

Yes, clearly nVidia doesn't want anyone to know Fermi is coming. This is why they built a fake one for nVision and showed off a real one at CES - because they didn't want anyone to know about it. When the NDA is lifted, everyone - whether they're an OEM, or an ATi exec, or an enthusiast, is going to be like "Wow, a new card?! I thought they were just going to stick with the 285 and 295!"

Back on topic, I'd be really surprised if the NDA didn't lift on a Monday or Tuesday.

You asked why NDA's in general don't allow for the dates to be given, not why Fermi's didn't. Pretty easy to understand. That, or you're trying to troll... I'm hard-pressed to think of a reason someone might ask a question then act like they didn't while being sarcastic at the answerer, when someone answers it, otherwise.

I understand NDAs. I just don't understand why the date an NDA lifts has to be included as part of the NDA.

Last edited:
I got tired of waiting for nVidia to release something. I went ahead and got my second 5870.

I got tired of waiting for nVidia to release something. I went ahead and got my second 5870.

I'm actually waiting to switch back to nVidia, I encounter lots of little glitches in games with the ATI 5870 that I never did with my GTX 280 such as flashing transparent textures occasionally if I rotate the camera (they're fine if I stay still and only happens to a few games), the occasional display blip (many have this issue and have posted about it), the annoying control panel, no individual game profiles (as far as I know?), AntiAliasing not forcing properly in some games including some newer ones I have tried that don't have AA in-game options (Warhammer Online for example), and lots of random other things. I've already tried swapping 5870's and the issues persist... but I gather it's a thing true for all of the 5870's, not any defect with both of the cards I tried. Hoping for Fermi to be an out-of-the-park good card :D.

I'm actually waiting to switch back to nVidia, I encounter lots of little glitches in games with the ATI 5870 that I never did with my GTX 280 such as flashing transparent textures occasionally if I rotate the camera (they're fine if I stay still and only happens to a few games)

Hmm..On which OS(s) do you encounter this problem?

Hmm..On which OS(s) do you encounter this problem?

Windows 7 x64. A few examples include, but these aren't all of them by a long shot:

1) Street Fighter 4: Fences and flat background textures such as those on the "Underpass" fighting stage flicker depending on camera movement.

2) World of Warcraft; Warhammer Online (WAR): Many grass items flicker or become "transparent" partially while walking around.

3) Desktop of Windows 7: Occasionally I get green dots only in 2d mode on dark parts of my wallpaper, sometimes they're red. I have tried a different DVI cable (monitor is a 2560x1600 Dell 3007WFP-HC). This never happened with my GTX 280.

4) NFS Shift: Colliding with the walls more than a couple times in a race, even bumping them, would cause massive slowdowns as it stuttered slowly for a couple of seconds, then would "catch up" displaying frames rapidly as though it was in super-speed before returning to normal. This occurred with the 9.10's and NFS Shift patch 1, and is much less severe with Patch 2 and 9.12's but still occurs at times.

5) CounterStrike Source: There's a fog regardless of settings that fades things to gray a little in the distance.

6) Warhammer Online (WAR): Some characters and tents become transparent and detailed in only their basic textures randomly. Moving the camera fixes it; if the character moves, it remains a "ghost". I have tried swapping in an 8800GT with the same game version and do not encounter these issues; the ATI versions with my 5870 I have tried exhibit it.

Just a few examples... it's a blazingly fast card and overall good, but these kinds of minor quirks and visual anomalies just bring it down that much.

Last edited:
Windows 7 x64.

Is it Dragon Age? Bioware said there were lod issues with wide resolutions that caused texture and scenery glitches and that they were working on a fix. I get it on my right hand screen, randomly after a while of playing. A restart solves it or you can carry on playing as it's a slight annoyance but nothing showstopping.

Is it Dragon Age? Bioware said there were lod issues with wide resolutions that caused texture and scenery glitches and that they were working on a fix. I get it on my right hand screen, randomly after a while of playing. A restart solves it or you can carry on playing as it's a slight annoyance but nothing showstopping.

Nope, I own Dragon Age but haven't played it yet... too many good games to catch up on still :).

Looking foward to Kyle's midnight fermi article. We all know its ready and will hit at 12am. We've seen this before. :)

only good thing this will do is make the ATi cards cheaper. IT's amazing to see all the fanboys fir Nvidia come out like OMG i am glad I waited OMG I have to return my ATI card OMG I just busted a nut and no one has a clue as to what fermi can or cannot do for a gamer

It was the same scenario for prior to the R800 GPU's releasing so you shouldn't be surprised by it. The HD5800 series delivered & most are expecting the GF100's to do the same. If the shown videos & early predictions of its performance holds up, AMD better have one hell of a refresh coming down the pipe or at least bring the prices way down on what's already on the market. Since we already know the GTX 360 will launch with an inflated price on top of an expected high price point to start with.

I'm quite happy with my $259 5850 so I don't really care either way about performance, but I will be interested to see how Fermi does on power consumption and other peripheral features.

Can't wait. I've building my latest upgrade around the Fermi release, looking to drop a fat load of cash on a new card and ride it until it absolutely chokes years down the road. Hoping the tech lives up to the hype.

only good thing this will do is make the ATi cards cheaper. IT's amazing to see all the fanboys fir Nvidia come out like OMG i am glad I waited OMG I have to return my ATI card OMG I just busted a nut and no one has a clue as to what fermi can or cannot do for a gamer

Why is it amazing? I get excited whenever new gen video cards are released. I get more interested when nvidia launches a mew gen card since nvidia is what I prefer for my personal builds for a lot of reasons. Is that a crime on these forums lately?
Just because I prefer nvidia doesn't mean I hate on Ati. How many can say the same in reverse? Can you?

Uh, what? Looking forward to a card doesn't make you a moronic fanboy ;).

For all the hooplah, I am glad it is coming off tonight. I went ahead and bought an ATI 5870 just before xmas. I am going to stick with ATI this round. I will just get another 5870 to Crossfire them.

If Nvidia does bring out the 380 GTX at around $399, that will def be a sweet spot for Nvidia. Would not be bad to have a price war :)

Uh, what? Looking forward to a card doesn't make you a moronic fanboy ;).

Maybe not moronic. The only people who are waiting for Fermi are those who want to possibly spend less or are stuck to the Nvidia name. Considering there isn't any indication that Fermi will even compete with the 5000 series (thus lowering its price), sticking by the Nvidia name is all a logical person can conclude.

Maybe not moronic. The only people who are waiting for Fermi are those who want to possibly spend less or are stuck to the Nvidia name. Considering there isn't any indication that Fermi will even compete with the 5000 series (thus lowering its price), sticking by the Nvidia name is all a logical person can conclude.

Actually there is, I guess you didn't look yet: there's a FarCry 2 bench out and about, as well as a major site reviewer saying it is double the GTX 2xx series in performance on a single GPU... which means it's faster.

Anything that hasn't be officially released can be taking as a grain of salt. I'm not saying fermi isn't a beast just saying that until official numbers are posted be a reputable site then its speculation.

Maybe not moronic. The only people who are waiting for Fermi are those who want to possibly spend less or are stuck to the Nvidia name.

There are also people like me that have plenty of performance and are just looking to go to the next hella fast and cool thing.

There are also people like me that have plenty of performance and are just looking to go to the next hella fast and cool thing.

Yet you could have been running 3x 5870s to accomplish that. At least you didn't deny that you're sticking by the Nvidia name simply for the fanboy aspect. Respect for not being fake.

And I haven't seen any evidence that the new GPUs will be faster. Can I estimate that they will be? No. Will they be close or a bit faster? Probably. A Far Cry 2 Benchmark unattributable to any site or legit reviewer means about as much as the joke graphs people have been posting around. As a matter of fact, someone should photoshop the results to show Fermi being 1,000 times faster than the GTX 280.

Its just amazing to me to see everyone hanging their hopes on something they have no clue about, other than the brand.

I'm also looking forward to a step-up in performance. It would be great to go single card again.

I for one can't wait for Fermi because I am an nVidia fanboi and I have missed my GTX 295s since I sold them. That said, my 5970 hasn't left me wanting in performance in any way, my epeen is just a little limp ;)

Back