• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Feeling nostalgic!!

killroy67

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
2,347
Call it what you will but I do miss the days of Windows 95 and my 486/66, to the point I paid $13 for a unopened copy of Windows 95 complete with IE4!! I may even buy a 486/66 if I can find one at a decent price, just to relive those glory days!!

s-l1600.jpg
 
How does the upgrade work? wouldn't you need 3.1 installed? The version of 95 that I had/ might still have, Was an OEM full version that my dad got from a sketchy seller at a computer show. As I remember it was just a disk and a license key.
 
How does the upgrade work? wouldn't you need 3.1 installed? The version of 95 that I had/ might still have, Was an OEM full version that my dad got from a sketchy seller at a computer show. As I remember it was just a disk and a license key.
I believe if you had a Windows 3.1 installation or key would be the way to do it. Kind of been a while LOL.
 
Personally I run Windows 2000 on my Pentium 3 retro build, I really wanted 98 but couldn't find drivers for my ever so slightly not period correct sound card.

Nice find, even if you never use it, it'd look nice on a shelf. Is it in plastic wrap?
 
I believe if you had a Windows 3.1 installation or key would be the way to do it. Kind of been a while LOL.


yeah, I only ever had the full version and did full installs. Plus, I don't remember that much about computers 23 years ago... I remember being a kid, watching the music video's, and playing hover
 
Personally I run Windows 2000 on my Pentium 3 retro build, I really wanted 98 but couldn't find drivers for my ever so slightly not period correct sound card.

Nice find, even if you never use it, it'd look nice on a shelf. Is it in plastic wrap?

According to the seller the box is sealed and still has the plastic film on it.
 
To me Windows95/98 is not nostalgic but a period I would love to forget. So many problems, including DoS vulnerabilities galore.
 
Man launching Diablo 1 from my Windows 95 machine ... takes me back. Still remember buying D1 from On Cue.
 
Some of my first games were of course Doom, but with Windows 95 Fury 3 and Decent 2. I still also miss those sounds like a 5 1/4 drive staring up, the sound of a 56k modem connecting. The best yet would be the 95 start up sound!
 
My first computer specs:
Packard Bell 486/66 DX2
4MB of memory
50MB HD
Diamond Speedstar Graphics with 2MB of ram
Sound Blaster 16

3.5 floppy drive
5 1/4 floppy drive

Windows 3.1 upgraded to Windows 95
MS PS/2 mouse and MS keyboard
 
Heh, in my mind win95 is still "modern era" even though I know it's 23+ years ago. I was rocking 3.1 and dos before that. Had to use a fossil driving to run my BBS ( used Oblivion/2, which was sexy ). I recall using some kind of "window manager", which allowed for multi-tasking ( and multi-instances of the BBS, 4 modems/phone lines. I was "leet" ), but I'll be damned if I can remember what voodoo that was.

You youngin's with win95...get off my lawn.
 
Heh, in my mind win95 is still "modern era" even though I know it's 23+ years ago. I was rocking 3.1 and dos before that. Had to use a fossil driving to run my BBS ( used Oblivion/2, which was sexy ). I recall using some kind of "window manager", which allowed for multi-tasking ( and multi-instances of the BBS, 4 modems/phone lines. I was "leet" ), but I'll be damned if I can remember what voodoo that was.

You youngin's with win95...get off my lawn.

I used Windows 3.1 for awhile, not much DOS though.........were both old!! LOL!!
 
My first PC (I was a C64/Amiga user for years before that) had a Cyrix CPU. Those were good old times. I even wrote assembly on the C64 - back then coding was far more common relatively speaking.
 
I'm not sure I'd want to put 95 on a 486. The first system I put 95 on was a P100 with 16 meg of RAM. I definitely like it a lot more than some others still on 486s and 386s. The father of a friend of mine at the time actually put 95 on a 386 40 mhz machine. I do not envy him that experience.
 
I had an opened boxed copy of Windows 3.11 for the longest time. Just recently gave it to a co-worker.

My first computer was an IBM PS2 55SX. 16mhz 386, 8MB RAM, and a 60MB HDD running doublespace to 120MB!
 
My first pc looked something like this:
ndc100.jpg

Did not even have a hard drive. My first hard drive after using this for 6 months, was a 10mb one that costs $$$ (sorry don't remember the actual cost). After a year or two, I put in an extension card that ran a 386 cpu instead of an 8088 CPU, but it was connected to a 8-bit slot. I started with DOS 3.1.
 
I'm not sure I'd want to put 95 on a 486. The first system I put 95 on was a P100 with 16 meg of RAM. I definitely like it a lot more than some others still on 486s and 386s. The father of a friend of mine at the time actually put 95 on a 386 40 mhz machine. I do not envy him that experience.

Windows 95 ran and actually ran pretty good on a 486/66DX2, gaming though was a different matter. Sometimes the game would run fine other times it was a picture show. DOS games always ran better then games under Windows 95.
 
I kept the 8GB 5.25" drive from the old W95/Pentium S Compaq box. I might put it up for sale.
 
Back
Top