Feeling nostalgic!!

killroy67

[H]ard|Gawd
Call it what you will but I do miss the days of Windows 95 and my 486/66, to the point I paid $13 for a unopened copy of Windows 95 complete with IE4!! I may even buy a 486/66 if I can find one at a decent price, just to relive those glory days!!

s-l1600.jpg

How does the upgrade work? wouldn't you need 3.1 installed? The version of 95 that I had/ might still have, Was an OEM full version that my dad got from a sketchy seller at a computer show. As I remember it was just a disk and a license key.

How does the upgrade work? wouldn't you need 3.1 installed? The version of 95 that I had/ might still have, Was an OEM full version that my dad got from a sketchy seller at a computer show. As I remember it was just a disk and a license key.
I believe if you had a Windows 3.1 installation or key would be the way to do it. Kind of been a while LOL.

Personally I run Windows 2000 on my Pentium 3 retro build, I really wanted 98 but couldn't find drivers for my ever so slightly not period correct sound card.

Nice find, even if you never use it, it'd look nice on a shelf. Is it in plastic wrap?

I believe if you had a Windows 3.1 installation or key would be the way to do it. Kind of been a while LOL.

yeah, I only ever had the full version and did full installs. Plus, I don't remember that much about computers 23 years ago... I remember being a kid, watching the music video's, and playing hover

Personally I run Windows 2000 on my Pentium 3 retro build, I really wanted 98 but couldn't find drivers for my ever so slightly not period correct sound card.

Nice find, even if you never use it, it'd look nice on a shelf. Is it in plastic wrap?

According to the seller the box is sealed and still has the plastic film on it.

To me Windows95/98 is not nostalgic but a period I would love to forget. So many problems, including DoS vulnerabilities galore.

Man launching Diablo 1 from my Windows 95 machine ... takes me back. Still remember buying D1 from On Cue.

Some of my first games were of course Doom, but with Windows 95 Fury 3 and Decent 2. I still also miss those sounds like a 5 1/4 drive staring up, the sound of a 56k modem connecting. The best yet would be the 95 start up sound!

My first computer specs:
Packard Bell 486/66 DX2
4MB of memory
50MB HD
Diamond Speedstar Graphics with 2MB of ram
Sound Blaster 16

3.5 floppy drive
5 1/4 floppy drive

Windows 3.1 upgraded to Windows 95
MS PS/2 mouse and MS keyboard

Heh, in my mind win95 is still "modern era" even though I know it's 23+ years ago. I was rocking 3.1 and dos before that. Had to use a fossil driving to run my BBS ( used Oblivion/2, which was sexy ). I recall using some kind of "window manager", which allowed for multi-tasking ( and multi-instances of the BBS, 4 modems/phone lines. I was "leet" ), but I'll be damned if I can remember what voodoo that was.

You youngin's with win95...get off my lawn.

Heh, in my mind win95 is still "modern era" even though I know it's 23+ years ago. I was rocking 3.1 and dos before that. Had to use a fossil driving to run my BBS ( used Oblivion/2, which was sexy ). I recall using some kind of "window manager", which allowed for multi-tasking ( and multi-instances of the BBS, 4 modems/phone lines. I was "leet" ), but I'll be damned if I can remember what voodoo that was.

You youngin's with win95...get off my lawn.

I used Windows 3.1 for awhile, not much DOS though.........were both old!! LOL!!

My first PC (I was a C64/Amiga user for years before that) had a Cyrix CPU. Those were good old times. I even wrote assembly on the C64 - back then coding was far more common relatively speaking.

I'm not sure I'd want to put 95 on a 486. The first system I put 95 on was a P100 with 16 meg of RAM. I definitely like it a lot more than some others still on 486s and 386s. The father of a friend of mine at the time actually put 95 on a 386 40 mhz machine. I do not envy him that experience.

I had an opened boxed copy of Windows 3.11 for the longest time. Just recently gave it to a co-worker.

My first computer was an IBM PS2 55SX. 16mhz 386, 8MB RAM, and a 60MB HDD running doublespace to 120MB!

My first pc looked something like this:
ndc100.jpg

Did not even have a hard drive. My first hard drive after using this for 6 months, was a 10mb one that costs $$$ (sorry don't remember the actual cost). After a year or two, I put in an extension card that ran a 386 cpu instead of an 8088 CPU, but it was connected to a 8-bit slot. I started with DOS 3.1.

I'm not sure I'd want to put 95 on a 486. The first system I put 95 on was a P100 with 16 meg of RAM. I definitely like it a lot more than some others still on 486s and 386s. The father of a friend of mine at the time actually put 95 on a 386 40 mhz machine. I do not envy him that experience.

Windows 95 ran and actually ran pretty good on a 486/66DX2, gaming though was a different matter. Sometimes the game would run fine other times it was a picture show. DOS games always ran better then games under Windows 95.

I kept the 8GB 5.25" drive from the old W95/Pentium S Compaq box. I might put it up for sale.

Back