FBI: Self-Driving Cars Could Be Turned Into Weapons

HardOCP News

[H] News
Self-driving cars need to be banned before they are used as weapons of mass destruction!

Google’s driverless car may remain a prototype, but the FBI believes the “game changing” vehicle could revolutionize high-speed car chases within a matter of years. The report also warned that autonomous cars may be used as "lethal weapons".

This is only one of hundreds of issues that need to be worked out. You have to start somewhere though.

You could load up a van with a massive amount of explosives, and then just program a route to drive through the entrance to an airport.

If you were coordinated, they could do that at every major airport simultaneously, and without a place to land or divert to, airliners loaded with hundreds of passengers would begin to run out of fuel.

You could load up a van with a massive amount of explosives, and then just program a route to drive through the entrance to an airport.

If you were coordinated, they could do that at every major airport simultaneously, and without a place to land or divert to, airliners loaded with hundreds of passengers would begin to run out of fuel.

That's silly. There is a small local airport near here, mostly private planes and some small private jets occasionally. They used to allow 737s out of there but stopped due to the noise. Air-Force-One actually landed there at one point.

Point is, there are plenty of other places for airliners to land. They might take up 80-90% of the runway upon landing instead of <50% like in most major airports but it wouldn't be a big deal really.

Point is, there are plenty of other places for airliners to land. They might take up 80-90% of the runway upon landing instead of <50% like in most major airports but it wouldn't be a big deal really.
I take it you are not a fan of the show "Mayday" (love that show, seen em all). Half of the episodes involves hundreds of people dying because they were diverted and either ran out of fuel or overworked air traffic controllers at minor airports were not used to such a volume and with lesser equipment than major airports and with pilots unfamiliar with the airports caused accidents to happen.

In fact, one of them was directly caused by a terrorist bombing attack of an airport. They had to divert to a minor airport, it got too full so they had to start taxing vehicles back up the runway, fog came in and the plane at the end of the runway didn't realize another airliner was still taxing and they hit head on. Everyone died in the former, and half in the taxing airliner.

I take it you are not a fan of the show "Mayday" (love that show, seen em all). Half of the episodes involves hundreds of people dying because they were diverted and either ran out of fuel or overworked air traffic controllers at minor airports were not used to such a volume and with lesser equipment than major airports and with pilots unfamiliar with the airports caused accidents to happen.

Well personally i'd have more faith in our air traffic controllers being able to coordinate the increased traffic than I would terrorists being able to pull of a simultaneous attack on so many airports. Even then, it would be unlikely that the runways themselves would be affected by any bombs, so if it came down to it pilots could still land there.

In fact, one of them was directly caused by a terrorist bombing attack of an airport. They had to divert to a minor airport, it got too full so they had to start taxing vehicles back up the runway, fog came in and the plane at the end of the runway didn't realize another airliner was still taxing and they hit head on. Everyone died in the former, and half in the taxing airliner.

I'm not claiming that there wouldn't be issues, but I can guarantee most pilots would "find" somewhere to land, even on the freeway, etc, before they simply ran out of gas and crashed or something like that. If you cleared all the freeways, that would actually be a LOT of space to land.

The only difference between a self-driving car being used by a terrorist and a normal car being used by a terrorist is that the terrorist doesn't need to commit suicide when using the self-driving car. Self-driving cars aren't giving terrorists some magical new capability to go places they couldn't go before.

Terrorists are committing suicide when delivering their explosives primarily because they are on a very low budget using very low tech and very low IQ people. You see lots of high-tech terrorism on TV and in the movies, but that's not how it works in real life.

Personally.. I am glad that the FBI is taking such a forward thinking approach to the EVILS of self driving vehicles. Am sure the FBI has a plan to deal with these vehicles when they become self aware and start talking like a doctor from a 1980s medical show.

1392318913544.jpg

I don't think self driving vehicles will be happening anytime soon.. too much lost revenue for cities and counties due to fewer speeding and traffic tickets. Plus think of all the lost jobs because of fewer vehicle collisions and accidents.

Well personally i'd have more faith in our air traffic controllers being able to coordinate the increased traffic than I would terrorists being able to pull of a simultaneous attack on so many airports. Even then, it would be unlikely that the runways themselves would be affected by any bombs, so if it came down to it pilots could still land there.
I believe policy is that airports get closed when there are threat of bombs, or worse actual exploded bombs. Once closed, no one comes or goes, and the airport is evacuated of all staff save for the guys in the tower.

The only difference between a self-driving car being used by a terrorist and a normal car being used by a terrorist is that the terrorist doesn't need to commit suicide when using the self-driving car. Self-driving cars aren't giving terrorists some magical new capability to go places they couldn't go before.

Terrorists are committing suicide when delivering their explosives primarily because they are on a very low budget using very low tech and very low IQ people. You see lots of high-tech terrorism on TV and in the movies, but that's not how it works in real life.
The difference is that you can't:
1) Catch the terrorists trying to recruit retards willing to blow themselves up... asking around causes loose lips.
2) You can have one intelligent and highly skilled and educated "professional" terrorist commit multiple attacks or relatively be in multiple places at once, and live to do it again.

That was one of the episodes on Mayday too. They had this "super terrorist" that had committed multiple attacks and was wanted by multiple countries, but had the hardest time tracking him down. And that was when he was taking the risk of having a crapload of passports and sneaking onto planes to plant explosives that would go off on the next flight.

The car they chose for the article picture made the whole thing perfect.

"Everything is going to kill us!"
"Your rights are putting you in dangerous! Fund us more!"
"Let us look around your car a little bit!"
"You need to be more terrified, it's all for your own good!"

The chatter from the western world's security and policing agencies is becoming more and more troubling.

The car they chose for the article picture made the whole thing perfect.

"Everything is going to kill us!"
"Your rights are putting you in dangerous! Fund us more!"
"Let us look around your car a little bit!"
"You need to be more terrified, it's all for your own good!"

The chatter from the western world's security and policing agencies is becoming more and more troubling.

putting you in danger*

An edit button would be the bee's knees.

Fear mongering..

There is nothing on this planet that cannot be made into a weapon by someone who really wants to.

I think you need to re-read yourself. Removing suicide from the equation will permit the non-low IQ people to conduct these types of attacks. Self-driving cars to deliver a payload isn't so hard if you let someone else invent the self-driving part. Then all you need is a cell phone or a clock or a gps for a trigger.

I can see that...

Just send 10 of those self driving cars at the same time to the white house loaded to the top with explosives.

Yep. That would end well...

Dangerous high-capacity assault cars can't be allowed to be in the hands of mere civilians. We should reserve them for government use only.

Well, it would be reasonable to have a checkpoint at an airport entrance and some of those concrete pole things to prevent vehicles from crossing a certain threshold, or IMO what I think is the best solution is to NOT allow vehicles into airports period.

It would be better IMO to simply have people park outside the airport where land is cheap and security is a non-issue and just have a bus ferry system to pick you up or drop passengers off.

While we're at it, I think carryon luggage should be banned as well, as it would just make boarding and unboarding an airplane SO much faster. The overhead bins should just have blankets and pillows for people.

I hate that if your airplane takes off at 4PM, you basically have to be arriving at the airport at 2:30PM latest.

First of all and I am sure Google will speak out on this soon, but all the bad uses one of these self-driving cars could ever possibly be used for have been factored in since the very start of these programs.

I know cause these concerns has been addressed somewhere as I've read about them a few times. Not just from terrorists but from remote hackers or passengers that could be hackers. The entire system is not only physically locked down from access but highly encrypted with multiple layers of security. The biggest thing that's been mentioned is all self-driving cars will have onboard wi-fi with 2 way audio / video. "Sir - please put out the blunt and remove your hand from under the ladies dress"

Anyone who remotely thinks these things are self-aware self-driving bombs are very short sighted. In fact. These cars will remove a lot of the freedoms we now have today in our personal cars. Think of it this way. You're mom driving with as a passenger on the way home from getting your drivers license at 17, but on steroids.

The self-driving car of tomorrow will have very simple an expensive detectors for smoke, drugs, chemicals to name a few. They will have wi-fi and 2 way audio / video. The on-board storage they do have will be very controlled. An example, you're not going to be able to hide a parcel of weed / cocaine under the seat or in some false compartment within these vehicles.

I can see that...

Just send 10 of those self driving cars at the same time to the white house loaded to the top with explosives.

Yep. That would end well...

It would end differently if they contained drivers?

I think the point is that it wouldn't change the capability at all. Not to mention how many failed attempts would occur due to software glitch/BSOD.

An example, you're not going to be able to hide a parcel of weed / cocaine under the seat or in some false compartment within these vehicles.
Or worse, a series of self-driving vans that drop off more illegals in Houston, and the coyote never has to worry about being caught, just the cost of the van.

You know, regular, non-autonomous cars could be used as weapons.
Should we ban those, too?

Oh please 1984-government, please save us from ourselves. :rolleyes:

This would never happen because that type of activity is illegal. Duh.

Fear mongering..

There is nothing on this planet that cannot be made into a weapon by someone who really wants to.

This is an interesting point.

How would you go about making Dandylions into a weapon? Or Clover?

Except for all the interstate highways designed for emergency landings... and the airports that aren't used on a daily basis.

Unless you planned on blowing up all 15,000+ airports in the USA, or did you only plan on blowing up the <400 airports with daily traffic?

This is an interesting point.

How would you go about making Dandylions into a weapon? Or Clover?

Oxalates poisoning for the dandylions and Glycosides poisoning for the clover.
Livestock can even pass on the glycosides from clover to their milk and poison humans who consume it even after pasteurization.

TLDR: I reinforce the statement that ANYTHING can be made into a weapon. Especially 99.99% of the plants in nature, if you know what part of the plant to harvest and how to extract it. Cyanide from apple seeds and tapioca, Amygdalin from peach and apricot pits...

Common knowledge of plants now days is sickeningly lacking, just trust the FDA and eat what their business partners create in their factories... ugh

Except for all the interstate highways designed for emergency landings... and the airports that aren't used on a daily basis.

Unless you planned on blowing up all 15,000+ airports in the USA, or did you only plan on blowing up the <400 airports with daily traffic?
You live in a fantasy world if you think that a Airbus A380 is going to just land on a highway or minor airport.... and we're not talking about one airplane, usually its a crapton of airplanes in the sky, landing one after another after another.

Yup, let me just squeeze a few of these onto a populated highway...

TLDR: I reinforce the statement that ANYTHING can be made into a weapon. Especially 99.99% of the plants in nature, if you know what part of the plant to harvest and how to extract it. Cyanide from apple seeds
It is true if I drink too much applejuice on a flight, there's a risk of SBD chemical weapon release (silent but deadly).

After reading this thread, I wonder why we even have the word weapon. I guess there's no distinction between object with a low ability to do harm and those with a large ability to do harm. Such a distinction is irrelevant, it seems

Oxalates poisoning for the dandylions and Glycosides poisoning for the clover.
Livestock can even pass on the glycosides from clover to their milk and poison humans who consume it even after pasteurization.

TLDR: I reinforce the statement that ANYTHING can be made into a weapon. Especially 99.99% of the plants in nature, if you know what part of the plant to harvest and how to extract it. Cyanide from apple seeds and tapioca, Amygdalin from peach and apricot pits...

Common knowledge of plants now days is sickeningly lacking, just trust the FDA and eat what their business partners create in their factories... ugh

Sheesh!

I wasn't thinking poison.

Sure, because the only thing preventing them from using cars as mobile bombs now is the lack of people willing to kill themselves for their cause. :rolleyes:

Be great for suicide bobmbers, and it removes the hesitant human factor, from the equation. Just use the joy stick to position the vehicle/bomb, and push the red buttom.

.... As opposed to putting a bomb into a car, a brick on the pedal from 200+ feet away? Sure, you can't do so as accurately from farther away but it's essentially the same thing.

Hell... you can bypass all that just by having parked car with a bomb in the trunk and a remote detonator.

Hell, either of those would be much cheaper alternatives as well, compared to buying a remote controlled/self driving car.

You could do this now, with current tech. In fact, you could do it 5 years ago with current tech. There's no need for a vehicle like that to be autonomous, when you can drive it remotely.

The movie "Rampage" does it. A vehicle drives into the police station and detonates while the guy walks around town shooting people.

If there were that many bad people and that many bombs, you could easily plant them in very crowded locations and detonate them.

Or if there were really that many suicidal terrorists in this country, a dozen or more men with shotguns in the same crowded locations would literally shut this country down. That it hasn't happened is the proof in the pudding that the threat isn't nearly what they say.

For context: look at the DC sniper, few people died and the entire city shut down for days. If a dozen men targeted a dozen cities across the US, from small towns to big cities, even if they only killed a few people in each, would keep everyone in their home for weeks.

.... As opposed to putting a bomb into a car, a brick on the pedal from 200+ feet away? Sure, you can't do so as accurately from farther away but it's essentially the same thing.

Hell... you can bypass all that just by having parked car with a bomb in the trunk and a remote detonator.

Hell, either of those would be much cheaper alternatives as well, compared to buying a remote controlled/self driving car.

You mean, like the 90's? The exploding car was all the rave back then. We don't have a whole lot of these stateside because the amount of product you need to make it effective has all but been choked off.

OMG, I just realized that with the use of some form of pressure (hostage, information, etc) or by indoctrinating (a word ?) a person they can be a weapon. I sure hope the FBI never comes to realize that.

Back