FBI: Self-Driving Cars Could Be Turned Into Weapons

Remember when the government thought they have everyone believing that their MP3 players would cause something on a plane to malfunction during take offs and landings? Yea I know you do because it was just a couple of months ago.....

9/11 and Pariot Act shenanigans aside: the government is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Out of all the counter-arguments against their stance, there really isn't one that says "you should not consider it."

Personally 24 raised bigger concerns with drones and hacking. Why doesn't the FBI have those outlawed? Huh? Answer me that one!

You could do this now, with current tech. In fact, you could do it 5 years ago with current tech. There's no need for a vehicle like that to be autonomous, when you can drive it remotely.

The movie "Rampage" does it. A vehicle drives into the police station and detonates while the guy walks around town shooting people.

Was about to post the same, this problem has existed for years.
There are cars with power steering that can be electronically controlled.
Add a camera and joystick (or WSAD :p), remote targeted boom.
How do you defend against something like this?
Probably best not to answer that as it might give them solutions!

It's not hard to make a remote control car without Google's help.... I don't get the concern. 1st year engineer students (the good ones) could do it easily.

Be great for suicide bobmbers, and it removes the hesitant human factor, from the equation. Just use the joy stick to position the vehicle/bomb, and push the red buttom.

that's not an autonomous vehicle.

I think you need to re-read yourself. Removing suicide from the equation will permit the non-low IQ people to conduct these types of attacks. Self-driving cars to deliver a payload isn't so hard if you let someone else invent the self-driving part. Then all you need is a cell phone or a clock or a gps for a trigger.

Non-low IQ terrorists already can and do conduct multiple car bomb attacks without suiciding themselves - by using low-IQ suicide drivers to do it for them.

Perhaps they will switch over to self-driving cars at such a point when those cars are cheaper than a junkyard car and a suicide driver. But when will that ever happen? In our lifetimes? I really doubt that.

Anything can and will be a weapon. Humans are above average creators of weapons. This should not prevent our other inventions from being used. Stupid article is stupid.

I think this is an issue where the FBI got something right before hand. I can totally picture someone going "giant-RC car" crazy via a live feed from the "breaking news" combine parking cameras, or even a third person view like the occulus rift has and this is a really dangerous thing for the general population. :eek:

They do it every other week on Mythbusters.
Ever notice how they have to use a chase car to stay close to it for the wireless transmission and video feed? Kindof defeats the point.

A lot different than a guy safe in Chicago that programmed 25 vans with explosives to drive themselves to major airports at the same time. Yeah, not the same thing.

I think you need to re-read yourself. Removing suicide from the equation will permit the non-low IQ people to conduct these types of attacks. Self-driving cars to deliver a payload isn't so hard if you let someone else invent the self-driving part. Then all you need is a cell phone or a clock or a gps for a trigger.

Remote control would work as well, and that isn't that hard for a smart person to implement right now. Heck, there is even a car available that already has remote control built into it.

Back