FBI Probes 4chan's DDoS Attacks

HardOCP News

[H] News
So, the FBI is investigating 4chan for recent distributed denial of service attacks? Heh, who wants to see if 4chan will launch a DDoS attack on the FBI in retaliation. :eek:

Over the past two months, a group calling itself "Anonymous," with links to the 4chan Web forum and image board, has launched distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) against Webs sites operated by the Motion Picture Association of America, The Recording Industry Association, Hustler magazine, rocker Gene Simmons, The British Phonographic Industry, and other similar groups in France, Australia, Spain and elsewhere.

yikes.

You know you messed up when the FBI comes looking for you. 4Chan will be closed next week due to groundings :D lol

Two "organizations" I'm not very fond of. Good to see them fighting, though.

FBI_Party_van.jpg

yikes.

You know you messed up when the FBI comes looking for you. 4Chan will be closed next week due to groundings :D lol

Not likely, Moot, the guy who runs 4chan, willingly works with Authorities unlike a lot of websites...

Then I guess he'll get an endless supply of Pizzas delivered to his house.

Not likely, the same people who would do that to moot are the same people who would end up in Jail for stupid shit in the first place.

Then I guess he'll get an endless supply of Pizzas delivered to his house.

This is not the 1st time Moot has co-operated with Authorities that resulted in someone being prosecuted.

>Buy the lawmakers
>Write the laws

If you take away people's legal means of counteracting nonsensical laws, guess what means they'll resort to?

Kinda stupid since 4Chan didn't do it (meaning their servers, etc). But it's easy to point fingers in this day and age...

yeah...good luck with that. You just put a target on yourself p*ssing off the anonymous group...they live for that sh*t.

yeah...good luck with that. You just put a target on yourself p*ssing off the anonymous group...they live for that sh*t.

I think I have more faith in the FBI than I do Anon and those other bandwagon riding kids at 4chan.

FBI goes after a bunch of clueless script kiddies, what it comes down to.

I think I have more faith in the FBI than I do Anon and those other bandwagon riding kids at 4chan.

Do you understand how hard it is to track down who started a DDos attack? I believe most people here think it's just a few kids living in the US...how cute. :rolleyes:

I would laugh endlessly if the FBI got DDoS'd. The only problem with this is that even if they catch some or all of these people more will follow. And who is to say that they weren't war driving when they generated this attack? I'm pretty sure no one is stupid enough to generate a DDoS from their own house.

Didn't they route one of the DDoSs through the 4chan server? I seem to remember Moot shutting down the server during one of the attacks...

The attackers may possibly have used /b/ to coordinate attacks, but it's not like the 4chan servers have any ability to know who is using LOIC (the software used to attack). Also, targets are often discussed with images (of text) rather than pure text. 4chan does not preserve images when a thread gets flushed, the only data that gets logged is text.

For the FBI to get any help from m00t they would need to provide IP addresses of their suspects, and when m00t provides the posts made from those IP addresses they would have to be incriminating in the text portion of the post.

Given how many people were likely involved here I doubt the FBI will have much luck. Too bad, I'm sure the RIAA and MPAA are paying tons of money for special service, hehe.

to follow:

"FBI offers hackers two choices: work for us or go to jail."
"ex-4chan members give up former associates to FBI"

Most people would rat to not get butt slammed in the pen.
It would be hard to rat on them though.

"WHO IS YOUR ACCOMPLICE?"
"Uhh...about five hundred thousand like-minded people in dozens of nations.
So let me get this straight...you're going to spend millions taxpayer dollars trying to hunt down people for the horrendous crime of trying to access a website? So that millionaires can feel like someone's head rolled for making their website stop working for a few hours? Good luck with that!"

The FBI? Bahahaha. They'll have to break some rights and pressure the right people to get anything, as currently, 4chan had nothing to do with it.
It WOULD be hilarious if the FBI got DDOS'd, but I don't know if any of these guys have the balls (but man that would be funny!)

Sweet so if some pissed off spammer DDoS my ISP the FBI will swoop right in and punish them too? I like!!! yay! Happy world.

In light of the recent DDoSing, I've eagerly awaited this news post.

Anonymous attacks industry douchebags.
FBI prosecutes some anons.

Everybody wins! Can I get some "aye"s?

they would have to be incriminating in the text portion of the post.

That shouldn't be hard. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

The FBI? Bahahaha. They'll have to break some rights and pressure the right people to get anything

A US agency infringing rights? Never.

4chan had nothing to do with it.

'Scept essentially being the base of operations with an archive of threads instructing when and how to attack.....

It would be hard to rat on them though.

"WHO IS YOUR ACCOMPLICE?"
"Uhh...about five hundred thousand like-minded people in dozens of nations.
So let me get this straight...you're going to spend millions taxpayer dollars trying to hunt down people for the horrendous crime of trying to access a website? So that millionaires can feel like someone's head rolled for making their website stop working for a few hours? Good luck with that!"

This post is spot on.

Our tax dollars at work, folks. :eek:

With wifi proliferation the way it is in major metropolitan areas only the idiots will get caught. The FBI will tout how they spent millions of dollars to successfully find the worst script kiddies that exist. All while the people with real skills sit there laughing.

What a joke.

'Scept essentially being the base of operations with an archive of threads instructing when and how to attack.....

Yep. Just like other sites that have detailed instructions on how to create a bomb. Detailed instructions on how to circumvent copyright protection.

1st Amendment. It protects quite a bit. It protects my right to hold a speech that could intice others to violence and law violations.

Let me write the songs of a nation, and I don't care who writes its laws.

Back