FarCry 2 Early Performance Preview @ [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how it would play on my 8800GTX at 1920, now I have an idea...phew...no upgrade needed...YET!!

Sorry Kyle wasn't meaning to sound snide at all. At the end of the article you guys said to stay tuned so I chimed in with what I'm looking for in a review. I was interested and surprised at the lack of benefit in Crysis and wonder whether that is also true in Far Cry 2 (being vaguely based off the same engine).

That review is in DX9 mode if you read the graph, whereas [H] did theirs in DX10.

Kyle, Brent, any chance that Crossfire for this game is messed up in DX10 only?

Actually, PCGH tested both DX9 and DX10. If you look at it, CF is working for DX10 for both the 8.9 and hotfix drivers. In DX9 mode, it wasn't working for the 8.9s but it was for the hotfix drivers.

Seems from those graphs that DX10 performs better. Have to test out for myself tomorrow but interesting none the less. (Least for my GTX 280)

Is it safe to say that my 8800GT at 9800GTX+ clocks will run this game near maximum settings at 1680x1050?

hmm, looks like anyone with a 4850 can get away with 4xAA with 16x10. thats my guess anyways.

I'm also curious to see the sheer detail being pushed around ie. poly counts to get an idea of the real performance diffs from Crysis. Is there a HUD command for that in FC2 anyone know?

Glad to see you guys at [H] are willing to give the heads up on new games without spoiling too much game play. Keep it coming!

Hopefully my lowly, OC'd, 8800GT will be able to push the 22" monitor its attached to...

thanks for the early performance review, good to know that it just might be possible for my 7900 gto sli system to actually play this game @ 1920x1200 with a reasonable framerate! sure maybe not full tilt settings, but i'm sure it'll be better than crapsis

nice to see that they took their time and got the game optimized fairly well for launch. how often do we see that these days?

nissanztt90

Last time that happened I ordered pickup and got it when it wasn't on the floor displays yet.

That was a good preview of the game. The fact that a GTX260 (what I might during Christmas) can still run respectively well at that crazy resolutions means that it'll run damn nice at 16x10. Hell even my 8800GT might be just fine for me to wait a little longer :D

In all the giddiness everyone seems to be missing out on the fact that the game doesn't even hold a candle to Crysis in the visuals department. Some of the early videos showed much more detail. I think the final product has been consolized in that sense.

I'm not going to complain much if the gameplay is great and truly open-ended, unlike Crysis and especially Warhead, but let's not kid ourselves on why it runs so smoothly.

Yay! My 4870 that remains in transit to my house was not purchased in vein, for 1920x1200. <does jumping jacks of joy>

HardOCP just made my day

Matrices
Thats why I wanted to compare detail lvl eg. polycount before I made that judgement.

Nice to see its not like Crysis.
Gonna wait a bit until Christmas and get it then or maybe after.
Oblivion is taking too much of my time. :D

In all the giddiness everyone seems to be missing out on the fact that the game doesn't even hold a candle to Crysis in the visuals department. Some of the early videos showed much more detail. I think the final product has been consolized in that sense.

I'm not going to complain much if the gameplay is great and truly open-ended, unlike Crysis and especially Warhead, but let's not kid ourselves on why it runs so smoothly.

because we all play games for JUST the graphics and not the story right? :rolleyes:

awesome, looks like i'll be able to enjoy this game properly with my 8800gt sli setup @ 1900x1080.

that makes me a little more excited about it.

So bloom was used instead of hdr ?

Both are enabled at the highest settings, you see the HDR check box is enabled, it is just greyed because when you enable a certain setting it automatically enables HDR and you can't turn it off. So with the highest settings HDR and Bloom are enabled.

Awesome, now the 1% of posters here with a 2560x1600 monitor know which card to get!

Besides immersion and gameplay what else is there? heh. Graphics is a proponent of immersion so naturally we get excited.

Nice preview. Those results are pretty encouraging....my old 8800GTS 640MB might still have enough legs for 1600x1200. I might have to knock a setting or two back a bit but I'm thinking it might still provide decent enough gameplay.

Matrices: Yeah looking at these screenies compared to videos I have seen in the past things don't look as detailed.... I think this game really might have been consolized as you said :(

Yes gameplay and story come first, but I want the complete immersive experience :)

Awesome, now the 1% of posters here with a 2560x1600 monitor know which card to get!

I know seriously. Lack of other resolutions in the realm of "normal" at first always pisses me off with this junk.

I hope we see a more wide ranged view including the 8800 series up to the 4870x2 in the coming days.

I'm looking forward to a 8800GT and or 8800GTS G92 SLI setup in the mix. That would have been great for the Crysis Warhead review as well. Something to use as a benchmark that may people on this site have.

I know seriously. Lack of other resolutions in the realm of "normal" at first always pisses me off with this junk.

I hope we see a more wide ranged view including the 8800 series up to the 4870x2 in the coming days.

calm down, this is just a preview before the game is released. besides the rationale for using this resolution has already been explained earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back