Far Cry New Dawn

I'm 25% into FC5 right now. Having a blast. Curious to see where they take this.

I'm 25% into FC5 right now. Having a blast. Curious to see where they take this.

Be aware of spoilers if you haven't already been spoiled at this point.

The fact that they are taking this series forward like this is pretty awesome.

I don't care what they name the game, I want that circular saw blade weapon!

Reactions: DPI
like this
I don't know. I was honestly pretty disappointed with FC5. The game just was not fun to me and felt like a rehash of 3 and 4 with some slightly different weapons and maps. The ending could have been interesting, except it really just felt like a, "this makes no logical sense but let's do it because TWIST ENDING OMG," situation.

If they can bring something different to the table, cool, but if this is yet another reskin, then I'm out.

I don't know. I was honestly pretty disappointed with FC5. The game just was not fun to me and felt like a rehash of 3 and 4 with some slightly different weapons and maps. The ending could have been interesting, except it really just felt like a, "this makes no logical sense but let's do it because TWIST ENDING OMG," situation.

If they can bring something different to the table, cool, but if this is yet another reskin, then I'm out.

Personally I loved the ending of FC5. The gameplay was generally average, but I loved what they did with the game. It was totally unexpected.

Personally I loved the ending of FC5. The gameplay was generally average, but I loved what they did with the game. It was totally unexpected.
Well Ubi confirmed that the way FC5 ended was real and not a hallucination, and this game looks like it picks up from there, albeit years later.

However god help them if FC5's capture mechanic returns in this game.

Last edited:
Looks like a spin off game based on the ending of FC5.

That being said FC5 was a big let down. Not nearly as good as FC3 or 4. Clearly designed for MP first. Mission design sucked, the map didn't work well for all of the cool take downs that were fun and easy to use in FC3 or 4. FC5 had too many hunting fetch quests, didn't do anything new and at the same time minimized what was good in FC3/4. If they can bring back the SP focus, design better missions and somehow make the take downs practical again it would at least be a decent "been there done that" experience.

Was really hoping they'd reinvent the series this go around though.

Reactions: M76
like this
I like the type of universe this game is set in, but lets face it I am sure the game will be another reskin.

Plus, that game looks FAR more interesting than any FC game I've seen so far.

RAGE 2 looks amazing, but it's going to be closer to DOOM2016 and RAGE than a real open-world sandbox. The first RAGE was was really an open-ish corridor shooter, with "dungeon" areas linked by open hub areas. Invisible walls all over the place.

Far Cry [whatever they call this one] is almost sure to be one big sandbox where you can go anywhere on the map.

Last edited:

How did it not make logical sense? I thought it was brilliant. The whole game you were playing a character and believing yourself that Joseph and his bunch were lunatics trying to save others from the end of the world. Turns out they were right. (other than a few ester egg radio broadcasts) I never saw it coming.

The Vera Lynn song was the icing on the cake. (Dr. Strangelove fans)

Last edited:
How did it not make logical sense? I thought it was brilliant. The whole game you were playing a character and believing yourself that Joseph and his bunch were lunatics trying to save others from the end of the world. Turns out they were right. (other than a few ester egg radio broadcasts) I never saw it coming.

The Vera Lynn song was the icing on the cake. (Dr. Strangelove fans)

Yeah, I admit it was (somewhat) unexpected. Thing is, the whole thing seemed to revolve around religion and as if it was some sort of Rapture situation, but in reality it was nukes because...reasons...? I never really got any indication from the game as to what was happening in the world outside of the area you were in, so to me it was completely disjointed from any sort of logical event.

For me it was kind of a, "Oh shit, he was right? *few minutes pass* Wait...what? How? Why?" situation.

Reactions: M76
like this
Yeah, I admit it was (somewhat) unexpected. Thing is, the whole thing seemed to revolve around religion and as if it was some sort of Rapture situation, but in reality it was nukes because...reasons...? I never really got any indication from the game as to what was happening in the world outside of the area you were in, so to me it was completely disjointed from any sort of logical event.

For me it was kind of a, "Oh shit, he was right? *few minutes pass* Wait...what? How? Why?" situation.

Although I had never heard them, there were a few radio broadcasts throughout the game that talked about a political breakdown & the Koreans preparing for war (from what I heard). I guess Im easily entertained. I thought it was a brilliant move to kind of turn your actions and player into somewhat of a bad guy role by the end.

There's a "leak" on Reddit, unsourced.
  • Direct sequel
  • 17 years later
  • More RPG like with Rage vibes
  • Title: Mid Dawn
  • Price: $45
  • Release: Feb 14, 2019

Although I had never heard them, there were a few radio broadcasts throughout the game that talked about a political breakdown & the Koreans preparing for war (from what I heard). I guess Im easily entertained. I thought it was a brilliant move to kind of turn your actions and player into somewhat of a bad guy role by the end.

Fair enough, I guess if I had heard more from the radio or had some other indications of the worldstate, it might have made more sense.

I didn't dislike the ending so much as I just didn't feel like it was earned. I did appreciate that they tried to do something different any unexpected, but in many ways it felt completely out of left field and that bugged me a bit.

I could totally get into a Far Cry game set in a Mad Max/Road Warrior type universe.

Already exists. Its called Mad Max, and I thought it was better than FC5.

7r5ab0XFv0PRPB7tDGV59FvHADXwVJGxTOpOEAQau6uqsvkIZHsKLKPzrtCD7VqrCERx6SV.tSqGFrqkthcIXh8QNnlRUDXp.jpg

Fair enough, I guess if I had heard more from the radio or had some other indications of the worldstate, it might have made more sense.

I didn't dislike the ending so much as I just didn't feel like it was earned. I did appreciate that they tried to do something different any unexpected, but in many ways it felt completely out of left field and that bugged me a bit.

I kind of felt that way in the end too, but for me, I thought back on all the things that I did and the character interactions I had with the Seed's & others, Then I had the "Whoa" moment.

Already exists. Its called Mad Max, and I thought it was better than FC5.

View attachment 125513

Mad Max was fun until it got grindy, but ultimately a third-person button-mash fighter like the Batman Arkham games, and gated map areas. This post-apoc Far Cry will undoubtedly be first person.

I think it could be interesting from the standpoint of potentially showing up Fallout 4/76 as how to do this genre with better graphics on a way less buggy engine. We won't get the insane mods and inventory management of Fallout 4, but we'll get one of the best map editors in the industry.

Biggest question for me is will we get a character creator and more RPG elements. I'm not optimistic though based on how soon after FC5 this is coming, and how previous spinoffs (Primal, Blood Dragon) were reworks rather than from the ground-up.

Last edited:
I give Ubisoft credit for thinking outside the box with their various Far Cry sequels...even though it may not always work (Primal) at least they are trying to be creative with each setting and not just rehashing the same jungle setting in every game

Man I should really finish Far Cry 5 lol. I made it to the last region before I dropped out.

same here...I made it to the final area with the last Seed brother but never finished it...I was enjoying the game too...it got repetitive after awhile but I plan on going back and finishing it

Far Cry 5 was Wildlands light. They need to do much better than that if they don't want this to be fallout light.

I'm fine with it. I appreciate how much FC5 pissed off 'tards from both sides.

I generally loved FC5 - I just thought it could have used more 'stuff' to do as once you finished all the main missions and side quests there wasn't much left to do. Additionally, I found that the game was too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Armenius yep smells like clever fake. Tries too hard to hit obvious internet-outrage touchstones; title unimaginative and expected. The artist(s) that did the Far Cry 5 cover had way more talent and creative subtlety.

But it would be funny on the chance Ubisoft's trying to turn internet outrage on its head and exploit it for advertising.

Last edited:
Back