Far Cry New Dawn

I could see this game having some pretty good DLC down the road since it's pretty short.

Me? What are you on about? You said they have more health and can't be killed by headshots.

I said some have masks covering the front, and you can stealth kill them / takedown them.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
What type of Mask?
maskthawk.jpg

LOL saw a review yesterday that said basically to play the first 1/2 of far cry 3 to get the best experience out of far cry series. the rest just adds increasing degrees of meh to it.

LOL saw a review yesterday that said basically to play the first 1/2 of far cry 3 to get the best experience out of far cry series. the rest just adds increasing degrees of meh to it.
I disagree.

Between 3, 4, Primal, and 5 - I personally think 5 is the best. I personally liked the story/plot twists, and the general themes.

New Dawn has the best gameplay, but is weak on the story side - Although that's sort of expected given it's place in the series.

Primal had some decent elements as well, it's just that a lot of people don't like that cave man theme, and it can be a little grindy.

5 has a lot going on under the hood with the story though that I think a lot of people just don't have the education/background to really pick up on. There's some powerful stuff going on in that game, and coupled with some visually stunning moments I really can't speak enough of that game. The weak point in 5, for me personally, was just that it was too easy as you could insta-kill everything with headshots quite easily.

I wish they'd offer a gameplay mode for 5 that basically gave it the new dawn improvements. With the new dawn fixes/improvements it would be a really solid title.

Far Cry 3 was pretty good, except for the captured - escaped rinse and repeat idiocy of it and the mystic nonsense.

Far Cry 4 is Far Cry 3 with bullet sponge OP animals. Some animals in FC3 were already overpowered.

Primal is not a shooter, so skip.

FC5 does some things right but has the idiotic forced failures, and a meh story.

New Dawn seems like after 2 hours of play that it is a more polished version of FC5. So far it is the best of all since 3.

The fact is that Ghosts Wildlands in fps view would make a better far cry than all of them combined.

like this
After playing ACOD, Far Cry 5 is a tough pill to swallow. I have no idea why Ubisoft is treating FC like the redheaded-stepchild franchise. It could be so much better.

Even Watch Dogs is getting better treatment.

like this
My whole 3 hours in the game the characters are out of reach but it feels like a upgraded Borderlands to me. Because the Highwaymen remind of similar characters....

Plan on playing some more tonight or tommorow.

Just played a few minutes with the game, and honestly after I finished the first two hours with enthusiasm. Now I'm struggling to get back into the game.

BTW, what is the point of expeditions? Is it just another piece of useless filler content? Because it doesn't add to the story that's for sure. And what am I supposed to do anyway? I go to the flare, but there is no interaction prompt there, enemies just keep coming and spawning everywhere.

Just played a few minutes with the game, and honestly after I finished the first two hours with enthusiasm. Now I'm struggling to get back into the game.

BTW, what is the point of expeditions? Is it just another piece of useless filler content? Because it doesn't add to the story that's for sure. And what am I supposed to do anyway? I go to the flare, but there is no interaction prompt there, enemies just keep coming and spawning everywhere.

https://gamerant.com/far-cry-new-dawn-expedition/

Loot crunchers basically.

It's another way to get the rarer resources that are needed to craft the higher tier weapons (If you even care about them).

Although I will say the expeditions are more fun doing coop. Singleplayer, not so much.

Ok, it's like they want me to hate this game. This is fucked up. Cannot deliver fuel trucks, it doesn't matter that I drive them into outposts nothing happens. bullet sponge enemies spawn in every bush, I'd need 500 ethanol to upgrade the workbench to be able to craft tier 3 weapons, otherwise I cannot shoot those enemies. This game is fucking broken. And they deliberately broke it, with this tier nonsense. There is absolutely no need for it to exists apart from creating unnecessary grind. To make the player want to buy resources. Fuck it, I'm not just not buying anything in game. But they made sure I'm never buying any ubisoft game ever again.

I have none of the issues you describe. Ethanol is easy to get, don't have the fuel truck delivery problems, etc. Haven't bought anything in game, and the resources are plenty enough that it isn't an issue.

The only resources that are hard to get and I agree can be grindy are the titanium and the carbon fiber.

Even on the hardest difficulty i'm not having issues taking down higher tier enemies. Sure, I can't just run in like an idiot and blow them away, I have to stealth a bit more and think about what i'm doing - But in no way do I find the game to be 'unfair' or intentionally nerfed to get you to buy stuff.

I have none of the issues you describe. Ethanol is easy to get, don't have the fuel truck delivery problems, etc. Haven't bought anything in game, and the resources are plenty enough that it isn't an issue.

The only resources that are hard to get and I agree can be grindy are the titanium and the carbon fiber.

Even on the hardest difficulty i'm not having issues taking down higher tier enemies. Sure, I can't just run in like an idiot and blow them away, I have to stealth a bit more and think about what i'm doing - But in no way do I find the game to be 'unfair' or intentionally nerfed to get you to buy stuff.

I agree, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, my only complaint is that the game is too easy. I'm still tier 1, but have took out gold enemies using the tools available, such as machine turrets. The game is not unfair and i also have not experienced any issues, other than pathing issues with ai, such as taking out a gold beast by standing still on a rock.

Well I have done every story mission and liberated every outpost in the area I'm in. I'd need 500 ethanol to upgrade the workbench to get tier 3 weapons. Tier 3 enemies are basically unkillable to me at the moment, because I can stand 3 feet from them and empty the entire lmg magazine in their heads only to have their health bar reduced by like 25%. So educate me what am I doing wrong ?
The funniest part is that I stand there emptying my magazine in the tier 3 enemy to no avail. Then my npc sidekick steps in and one shot kills it. LOL. Stealth cannot be used, because takedown doesn't work on tier 3 enemies.

It's not that the game is hard, it was super easy until now. It is the fact that I'm forced to do pointless grind to unlock weapon tiers that serve no purpose apart from being self serving grind walls
The fact of the matter is: I cannot progress in the story unless I grind together 500 ethanol to upgrade my workbench.

Ethanol can only come from liberating outposts , or fuel trucks. Expeditions don't give ethanol as I've seen. Not that I like the idea of enemies constantly spawninng in front and behind me simultaneously.

On the other hand I Have plenty of titanium. That was never a problem for me. Every safe has it.

I agree, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, my only complaint is that the game is too easy. I'm still tier 1, but have took out gold enemies using the tools available, such as machine turrets. The game is not unfair and i also have not experienced any issues, other than pathing issues with ai, such as taking out a gold beast by standing still on a rock.
If you're still tier 1 then you cannot have any idea about what I'm talking about.

Yeah, my number one complaint of the game is how stupid your NPC ally can be, and the general pathfinding.

If you're still tier 1 then you cannot have any idea about what I'm talking about.

If he fought gold tier enemies he absolutely does. The tiers don't change based off of your own tier.

base level has no armor, blue level has a mask, purples can have a full mask/body armor, and golds are very armored.

I was also able to take down gold tier enemies with tier 1 weapons. It was tough, but well within the realm of possible.

If he fought gold tier enemies he absolutely does. The tiers don't change based off of your own tier.

base level has no armor, blue level has a mask, purples can have a full mask/body armor, and golds are very armored.

I was also able to take down gold tier enemies with tier 1 weapons. It was tough, but well within the realm of possible.
I took down a few gold animals while I was tier I it has zero relevance to what I'm experiencing now After finishing part 1 of the game.

For the last time. I'm standing in front of the purple enemy, I empty an entire 60 round from my blue tier lmg in it's head and it's health is still almost full!.

You want to say I'm making it up? Or what?

No I'm not saying it is imopssible to take down the enemies. But it is no fun at all. As I hate bullet sponge enemies. That is not what I want from this game. Well actually I don't want that from any game, but I'd hoped it's enough that the division is like that.

Last edited:
The game is not unfair and i also have not experienced any issues, other than pathing issues with ai, such as taking out a gold beast by standing still on a rock.

FC5 had this issue as well. FC4/Primal on the other hand.....

I took down a few gold animals while I was tier I it has zero relevance to what I'm experiencing now After finishing part 1 of the game.

For the last time. I'm standing in front of the purple enemy, I empty an entire 60 round from my blue tier lmg in it's head and it's health is still almost full!.

You want to say I'm making it up? Or what?

No I'm not saying it is imopssible to take down the enemies. But it is no fun at all. As I hate bullet sponge enemies. That is not what I want from this game. Well actually I don't want that from any game, but I'd hoped it's enough that the division is like that.

I'm not saying you're making it up, but just find it odd, I could not get a screenshot of my inventory to work in the game(kept screenshotting the paused menu), so here is a picture of my loadout last night, with me standing above a dead Gold Tier Enemy:

upload_2019-3-6_10-10-10.png

There are two gold enemies in this picture the second is up high on the container at the back, the one I'm standing over I took out by one mortar shell. The guy above took 4 shots, 3 against the helmet, then that broke away, then one to the head (dealt 1600 dmg).

I'm actually finding the best tactic, is to ignore the Golds, take out everyone else. Let the Gold get behind cover, rush them and quickly headshot them. They take a very long time to come out of cover when you do this and gives you plenty of time to put several bullets in there head.

The most annoying thing I am finding in this game is that the enemies can see through the top of hills, so you can't see them, but they can see you.

There are two gold enemies in this picture the second is up high on the container at the back, the one I'm standing over I took out by one mortar shell. The guy above took 4 shots, 3 against the helmet, then that broke away, then one to the head (dealt 1600 dmg).

I'm actually finding the best tactic, is to ignore the Golds, take out everyone else. Let the Gold get behind cover, rush them and quickly headshot them. They take a very long time to come out of cover when you do this and gives you plenty of time to put several bullets in there head.

The most annoying thing I am finding in this game is that the enemies can see through the top of hills, so you can't see them, but they can see you.
I was only tier ii when the game started spawning gold enemies. I had no way of taking them down. Takedown is perk locked, and it took about 30 direct headshots for them to die. So I did the only option aside from abandoning the game: I cheated and jumped up one tier.

The game is 50% off today on Steam.. That didn't take long. On that note I just bought it also. : - )

I have played Farcry games since the beginning, So purchased the game at 50% off. My honest opinion is the combat is better than the previous games, I like the crafting and the way the missions are presented. But I have refunded the game after just under 2 hrs of gameplay. I just could not get into this one. I hope that RAGE 2 does this better.

This is $19 on Uplay right now. CDKeys is only selling the EU version of the game (which will NOT work on the US Uplay store), so your options are limited for getting a discounted PC version in the US. The console versions have been $20 for a while, though.

I'm a few hours in and I feel like the shooting mechanics are a little smoother than FC5. Enemies respawn hyper quickly, so you also don't have long periods of inactivity like FC5. There are more capture and control map elements, but at the same time they don't appear to be totally required if you aren't interested.
The color coded super-strong foes don't bother me at all. The are still 100% killable if you want to take the time, but they're designed for you to return to at a later time. Like most games do. It's not like most jobs hire CEO's straight out of college and it's not like high school football teams can play in the NFL. It's a video game where you can survive getting shot in the face by bandaging your arm, so let's not pretend realism is in play. Without those enemies, you're basically just killing the same 2-3 foes over and over endlessly, so I welcome something different. It controls the pacing of the game.
Performance seems very steady, although I've had a couple hiccups where the game didn't drop FPS...it just paused. I thought it had crashed or frozen, but it resumed a second or two later. Very weird. No FPS bogdowns like the fog effects in FC5, though.
I'm not far enough to totally judge the game, but I think it's a safe buy for anyone who liked FC5 or similar games.

Last edited:
Well, I'm already done with this game...but I really liked it. It's short, but it was a lot of fun. Worth $15-20, but no more just because of the length of the game.

I have played Farcry games since the beginning, So purchased the game at 50% off. My honest opinion is the combat is better than the previous games, I like the crafting and the way the missions are presented. But I have refunded the game after just under 2 hrs of gameplay. I just could not get into this one. I hope that RAGE 2 does this better.

Old post, but it's worth noting that this game is way better compared to Rage 2. Rage 2 is a pile of shit, as with any Avalanche game released last year/this year.

Old post, but it's worth noting that this game is way better compared to Rage 2. Rage 2 is a pile of shit, as with any Avalanche game released last year/this year.

I thought Rage 2 was better because the combat was funner. Both had equally dumb stories. New Dawn was a bit grindy, Rage 2 could be that way but a good guide pointing out useful arks on the map negated that largely. I give Rage 2 the nod because of the combat, but otherwise both are fairly bland. The problem with New Dawn is the combat is bland to. Just a bland, lazy half attempt of a game. Considering it is more or less a standalone expansion it isn't that bad but it does have a length equal to a full game so I wouldv'e hoped for better.

But I'd recommend both because neither are bad games. Both are fun, moderately long action FPS with no real issues.

I'd recommend both Rage 2 and New Dawn as long as both are heavily discounted. $20 seems okay. Both suffer from roughly the same issue IMO. Both have large open world with lots to do, but only a handful of story missions. In the case of New Dawn, it feels like a large DLC add-on Far Cry 5 more than a separate game.
Rage has more of an old school twitch shooter vibe while New Dawn can be little more tactical. Stealth isn't really heavily featured in either, which is fine by me.

Back