Far Cry 6

Like all games like this, I find myself trying to do everything early on. I'll probably end up with 100% completion in the first area (northwest) and I'll get burned out or bored by the time I get to the later areas. I'll end up flying through the later sections as a result. I always do that and I'm just kind of resigned to it at this point.

Major pro tip: Ignore the message on the screen about having to take vehicles to a vehicle depot. You don't have to do that! Just whip out your camera and let it scan them. It does the same thing in seconds.

Probably old news for some of you, but I don't think I can play this game without a bow with EMP rounds equipped anymore. Takes down tanks and helicopters in one shot, barely damages them so I can then run up and hijack them to take back to my base to unlock in collections... or just turn the tide of the battle. Not to mention silently disabling alarms from a distance before I even enter a base. The utility is too good.... tempted to see if it shocks sharks in the water next.

Like all games like this, I find myself trying to do everything early on. I'll probably end up with 100% completion in the first area (northwest) and I'll get burned out or bored by the time I get to the later areas. I'll end up flying through the later sections as a result. I always do that and I'm just kind of resigned to it at this point.

Major pro tip: Ignore the message on the screen about having to take vehicles to a vehicle depot. You don't have to do that! Just whip out your camera and let it scan them. It does the same thing in seconds.

Except for Military vehicles. Those still need to be taken to a Base to unlock. Civilian vehicles only require a scan.

Except for Military vehicles. Those still need to be taken to a Base to unlock. Civilian vehicles only require a scan.
Since the vehicle spawn points are so rare and often not even near fast travel points it's mostly worthless anyway. It is quicker to steal a vehicle than to get one from a spawn point.

Since the vehicle spawn points are so rare and often not even near fast travel points it's mostly worthless anyway. It is quicker to steal a vehicle than to get one from a spawn point.

This is true, if your goal is travel alone, though the Air Drop feature may be even faster. However he was talking about unlocking new vehicles.

If you're a Completionist (like me), standing out front of a Base and waiting will net you most ground vehicles, as they seem to gravitate to you, especially after the shooting starts. The odd variants (such as Spec Ops) you may have to work for a bit more. Going to a Checkpoint seems to equate to chumming the waters, as they come out of the wood work all of a sudden. For water vehicles I just hit the water outside the Oil Rig in the upper right corner of the map and had most the Military versions I was missing; though a bit rougher to pull off since I was their only target and you cannot shoot if you fall in the water. Air vehicles are simple, go to an Airfield and grab whatever you need. The only one I am missing is the variation with the machine gun hanging off the back.

And by the time you want to play the game again (if ever), all the DLC will be out and the Gold Edition on sale for about $20. So you end up paying less than the Standard Edition price, for the entire package.
Glad I went for the UBISOFT+ subscription instead of buying the game. It's really just not different enough from the past games to justify that full extortionate price. Not a fan of the ammo mechanics or the gear based skill mechanics. Way too much micro managing. The game is definitely a once and done kinda deal.

I've been experiencing crashes lately. It seems to happen when the game is saving and I attempt to go into the map menu. So annoying.

I've also started getting the map crashes. Never in the game itself, but when I'm mid-mission, sometimes I'll check the map and it'll freeze. In at least one case I lost quite a bit of progress, too. It doesn't happen every time and it never seems to happen when I'm just wandering and not already in a mission. I've experienced that 3 times so far, and almost entirely yesterday.

One complaint I have is that many of the weapons just don't seem to be different enough from each other. In many cases you look at the difference between, for example, an M-16 and an AK, and there's barely any real difference between them, other than maybe fire rate and magazine size.

Leads to me basically just using a silenced M-14 or whatever it is, and then whatever other random weapons I feel like.

I just wish the texture bug on nvidia hardware would be fixed. Starting to piss me off, it really ruins a decent looking game.
Have there been any patches yet? I've encountered several bugs and I haven't seen anything update post-release.

Have there been any patches yet? I've encountered several bugs and I haven't seen anything update post-release.
Nope. At least nothing for the uPlay version...which I'd assume would get any updates right away. Ubi tends to be pretty deliberate if not a little slow with their updates. Rather than quickly fixing individual items, they do larger and more comprehensive patches.

Yeah, gonna let this one simmer for a while. I'll pick it up when it's old news, and (hopefully) less buggy and more stable. I appreciate everyone's input on the game.

I just wish the texture bug on nvidia hardware would be fixed. Starting to piss me off, it really ruins a decent looking game.
Is it a driver issues ? I got some updates yesterday from the game engine but notting on my part has changed as driver 21.10 .1 and I am not running any background driver software like image shapening or surface reformat .. just 1080p Ultra with FSR in Ultra Quality with SAM on and it's my understanding that no one is useing HD texture package .

Is it a driver issues ? I got some updates yesterday from the game engine but notting on my part has changed as driver 21.10 .1 and I am not running any background driver software like image shapening or surface reformat .. just 1080p Ultra with FSR in Ultra Quality with SAM on and it's my understanding that no one is useing HD texture package .

I'm not aware of the issue being on AMD cards. It's on nvidia cards. Even happens on 3090's with plenty of VRAM.

Not many people have ">11GB of VRAM" needed to run the high rez textures. Clear law of diminishing returns. The game still looks pretty good without them.

One complaint I have is that many of the weapons just don't seem to be different enough from each other. In many cases you look at the difference between, for example, an M-16 and an AK, and there's barely any real difference between them, other than maybe fire rate and magazine size.

Leads to me basically just using a silenced M-14 or whatever it is, and then whatever other random weapons I feel like.

I've noticed this, too. The 1-4 numbers don't seem to equate to how effective/powerful a gun actually is. I'm not even sure if those ratings mean anything at all.

I find myself using an M1, compound bow, and the Autocrat pistol 99% of the time. I supposedly have better weapons, but not in reality. That M1 snipes like a .50 but is semi-automatic and fires like a champ from the waist. Toss on mods that increase damage while aiming + body shots and it can do it all. That's one reason the Autocrat is so good. It has a mod that makes aiming damage hurt a ton and it fires really, really quickly.

I've noticed this, too. The 1-4 numbers don't seem to equate to how effective/powerful a gun actually is. I'm not even sure if those ratings mean anything at all.

I find myself using an M1, compound bow, and the Autocrat pistol 99% of the time. I supposedly have better weapons, but not in reality. That M1 snipes like a .50 but is semi-automatic and fires like a champ from the waist. Toss on mods that increase damage while aiming + body shots and it can do it all. That's one reason the Autocrat is so good. It has a mod that makes aiming damage hurt a ton and it fires really, really quickly.
And the Autocrat is literally the first "unique" weapon I found in the game. That is very poorly-designed progression when arguably the best sidearm in the game is obtained 20 minutes into the game.

And the Autocrat is literally the first "unique" weapon I found in the game. That is very poorly-designed progression when arguably the best sidearm in the game is obtained 20 minutes into the game.

Absolutely. In general, sidearms are super uncommon. I've only found a few (I'm 40% done) and the Autocrat is the best one by far. There are 2 more non-unique sidearms that don't see to be on sale anywhere and I'm at level 12. It's like they want you to use that gun for a long, long time.

I partially ruined the game for myself early on. Ran up into the City when I was still a Rank 3 and started looting enemy chests. Had to sneak since they would have 1 shot me at the point, but my first two weapons were the SSGP-58 and the MBP .50; the best AR and Sniper in the game (even compared to the uniques imo). Then I went after the Desert Eagle side mission. I'm Rank 16 now, and have never needed to swap out weapons. With Armor Piercing rounds and a Suppressor I just delete everything. I put EMP rounds on my Bow, so even vehicles are no threat now. Even after getting the Over-clock modded weapons, I still clear bases faster with the SSGP, it is just a laser beam. As long as you're getting head shots, everything goes down in a single burst.

I switch it up now and then for fun, but nothing has been as efficient as this loadout, so I keep going back to it. Not sure they shouldn't have gated this better... but as I said, I choose to do it.

I partially ruined the game for myself early on. Ran up into the City when I was still a Rank 3 and started looting enemy chests. Had to sneak since they would have 1 shot me at the point, but my first two weapons were the SSGP-58 and the MBP .50; the best AR and Sniper in the game (even compared to the uniques imo). Then I went after the Desert Eagle side mission. I'm Rank 16 now, and have never needed to swap out weapons. With Armor Piercing rounds and a Suppressor I just delete everything. I put EMP rounds on my Bow, so even vehicles are no threat now. Even after getting the Over-clock modded weapons, I still clear bases faster with the SSGP, it is just a laser beam. As long as you're getting head shots, everything goes down in a single burst.

I switch it up now and then for fun, but nothing has been as efficient as this loadout, so I keep going back to it. Not sure they shouldn't have gated this better... but as I said, I choose to do it.
They could have just gated higher-end weapons behind ranks like they did with the Resolver stuff, the system was already in the game for it. The M1/M14 weapon I got almost immediately and I'm still rolling with it at Rank 7, there doesn't seem to be any reason to use any other SMGs or assault rifles because of how powerful it is.

Yeah, i'd agree the weapons are the weakest aspect of this game. Honestly, it's been getting worse with every new game to come out. I wish they'd go back to the FC2 system for weapons. Every weapon was fairly different.

I like how they have the different enemy/ammo types in this game, but if you aren't a complete idiot, it doesn't matter since you can just headshot everyone anyways.

I like how they have the different enemy/ammo types in this game, but if you aren't a complete idiot, it doesn't matter since you can just headshot everyone anyways.

Unfortunately once you put Armor Piercing on, it makes all the other ammo types apart from EMP, moot. They can be fun, but are largely just for memes.

Are weapons level gated like in New Dawn? Or are most guns useful until the end of the game?

I've been running this at 4k with HD textures and my 3080 and haven't had any performance issues. I haven't monitored my vram usage though but it runs fine.

I've been running this at 4k with HD textures and my 3080 and haven't had any performance issues. I haven't monitored my vram usage though but it runs fine.
There's absolutely no chance you aren't getting low-res textures with that setup.

I verified the files. Uninstalled HD textures. I've done fairly well with the game until this Chicarron mission. I'm at the stage where you help him trash some monument and this thing is crashing like crazy. I'm going to abort this mission. I can't do it.

EDIT: I aborted that mission and went on to other things with no problem.

Frakksured is right about those weapons he mentioned above. Very impressive.

Last edited:
There's absolutely no chance you aren't getting low-res textures with that setup.

I thought that was a bug? I have a couple here or there, really only on my gear lately. I have the same issue on my laptop with 8gb vram but at 1080p.

Side note: Yea I picked up the Autocrat and it's nuts, can one click people from veeeery far.

Also, so far I don't get why we're interested in hunting and fishing so far, is it only to trade for scrap?

Many of the unique weapons can be found on bases or by completing certain quests. There's guides that'll show you where and how to get them.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Also, so far I don't get why we're interested in hunting and fishing so far, is it only to trade for scrap?

Largely pointless, however Alligators, Jaguars and Coyotes can be farmed for "Alpha Meat" which can be exchanged for Industrial Circuits; a hot commodity for the highest level weapon mods in the game.

Mythical animals can be farmed for this after you've killed them for the first time, and each location marked on the map for the above mentioned animals, has a chance to drop some. Just be sure to have the Hunters Bracers on to get extra.

--

Bandito Operations (board next to Lola that you need Leaders for) can also be a great source for resources.

Last edited:
Are weapons level gated like in New Dawn? Or are most guns useful until the end of the game?

You can use the starting weapons from the beginning all the way until the end. The workbench modifications allow you to boost damage, scopes, handling, etc. of any normal weapon in the game. You can make a level-1 gun good enough to use for the entire game. The unique weapons come pre-equipped with specific mods, so some are better than others. At least 2 of the ones you find in the opening hour of the game are full-on great.

Something the games doesn't tell you - your mods for one class of weapon can be shifted from one weapon to another. For instance, you can mod a rifle with 8-9 different add-ons. When you find a better rifle, you can just remove all of the mods and set that gun back to stock. The mods that were on it will now be available for other rifles. It only works for weapons of the same type, though. So you can't remove a laser sight from an SMG and put it on a sniper rifle.

Something the games doesn't tell you - your mods for one class of weapon can be shifted from one weapon to another. For instance, you can mod a rifle with 8-9 different add-ons. When you find a better rifle, you can just remove all of the mods and set that gun back to stock. The mods that were on it will now be available for other rifles. It only works for weapons of the same type, though. So you can't remove a laser sight from an SMG and put it on a sniper rifle.

Weapon mods are class specific, so if you unlock the Armor Piercing mod (for example) on an Assault Rifle, it will be free to install on any other AR. Handy for sure.

You can use the starting weapons from the beginning all the way until the end. The workbench modifications allow you to boost damage, scopes, handling, etc. of any normal weapon in the game. You can make a level-1 gun good enough to use for the entire game. The unique weapons come pre-equipped with specific mods, so some are better than others. At least 2 of the ones you find in the opening hour of the game are full-on great.

To elaborate on that, if you can get headshots, you can literally use just about any decently-powered rifle (or pistol, or sniper rifle...) with AP rounds and one-shot enemies most of the time.

As far as mods go, I believe when you "purchase" the mods for a certain weapon type, they are just available for all weapons of that type in any quantity. You don't have to go back and remove the mods from other weapons, you can just use them on all weapons of that type as you please.

I think I finally got that map crash you guys were talking about. Blew up an AA turret in an area I hadn't been to before, then when I opened the map the game crashed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm kinda scared to open the map if I've been playing for a while. It doesn't freeze often, but it's kinda soul crushing when it does. The weird thing is that game auto-saves certain elements and ignores others. I've had it act like I didn't clear a base (when I definitely did), but it did remember that I found all of the chests inside. Vice versa with the aircraft guns and uranium, too. I've only gotten really screwed over once. I was in a long multi-step mission and it made me totally start over...but it remembered the chests I found.

Sounds like a separate save database for items and for NPCs/mission progress. Wonder why they'd bother with it aside from to stop player exploiting and ruining the game for themselves, or because they decided it's more important players don't lose items in case of a game crash.. maybe the item database is more corruption proof than the mission one 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Great game 100% completion in just over 36hrs, all side quests, main quests, and the filler. Had one crash the entire time and I believe that it was the loading map during an autosave. The formula starts to get stale towards the end but all in all it was alot of fun.... Time to go play some Back4Blood

Back