Far Cry 2 benchmarks

Another thing I find interesting about those benchmarks is the CPU scores. This game is indeed multi-threaded and appears to be done pretty well to. In the CPU tests, a stock Q6600 (2.4GHz) is performs on par with a E8400 (3GHz)

Shit, thats what I get for preordering it from Gamestop. Is the DRM implement the same type of securom? Activations aside, the thing im not happy about is the thought of having that shit disable my dvd drives and antivirus.

yeah my 8800GT will survive a little while longer !! This game looks plenty awesome, just hope the hype machine doesn't kill it.

New drivers on both ends for this..... This game is gonna be the new "benchmark" for now, that's for sure.

If someone wants to buy a new GPU for this game, which would be the better card, GTX 280 or HD4870 X2?

I doubt that that people would like to wait a few days to find out which card is better to buy for this game and then wait a few more days for the card to arrive. It is better if they can order the GPU now so that they can play the game right when it is released. ;)

If someone wants to buy a new GPU for this game, which would be the better card, GTX 280 or HD4870 X2?

I doubt that that people would like to wait a few days to find out which card is better to buy for this game and then wait a few more days for the card to arrive. It is better if they can order the GPU now so that they can play the game right when it is released. ;)

I decided to Sli my gtx 260, so I'm hoping it'll work out. With the driver issues the 4870x2 has had, it would be smart to wait.

If it has issues with the 4870x2, then get the 280, if the 4870x2 works good, then get that.

I'd wait and see. I already have a 260, so no point in selling it to get one of the "big" cards.

I imagine the 360 version should look similar to the PC version except we'll be running the same but at higher res on the PC. The 360 only needs to push 720p or they could pull a GTA4 and cut the res even more.

who plans on buying this on steam?

I bought it on Steam as well, and my XFX GTX 260 is arriving tomorrow:D

Most definitely Big K. Still going back and forth between a 22" and a 24"+. Initially I was going to just move to a 22" since those are just a couple hundred. But then you see a 24" or larger and if I ever go blu ray on the pc... I do know BenQ is coming out with a 16x9 1080P 22" next week though

If you can find a BenQ G2400WD I would say buy one of those, but I know BenQ recently discontinued them. I got one this summer and I love it, 1080p movies scale well with Blu-Ray (I don't care what their advertising propoganda says, the tiny horizontal lines are not a big deal), and 1920x1200 is beautiful. I don't know the price point of the new 1080p 22 inchers they are releasing, but the G2400WD I bought was only $360 from Newegg after a promo code.

I imagine the 360 version should look similar to the PC version except we'll be running the same but at higher res on the PC. The 360 only needs to push 720p or they could pull a GTA4 and cut the res even more.

I dunno, I have a hard time believing the 3660 will pump out graphics that look anywhere near as good as a top end pc, let alone about on par with one.

Too bad the 360 can't even do 720p on newer titles.

CoD4 and Halo 3 are good examples.

Yeah I definitely wouldnt say top-end since its essentially a modded older radeon in there but 720p isnt too much for it to push. However, most games that are multi-platform are optimized to the lowest common denominator so it may be wishful thinking to expect much more than higher resolution and better LOD distances.

Well, I finally got a copy of Far Cry 2 and I have already played it for the first hour. Haven't installed the ATI hotfix AMD has provided yet, but soon I will.

So far I'm getting an average of 20-30 FPS with everything maxed out, Ultra settings at 1920x1080 with 8x AA and 16 AF using a 4870x2. Hopefully future drivers will optimize this game.

At least you can play it with AA and AF and at the highest settings unlike Crysis.

I ran the benchmark thingy on Ultra High, DX10, 1920x1200 and got an average FPS of 40 - 50.
woot!
Using the ATI 8.10 Far Cry 2 hotfix driver.
Too bad the 360 can't even do 720p on newer titles.
CoD4 and Halo 3 are good examples.
It gets pretty damn close, only a few pixels are chopped.

Hey algae-infested mutinist (Yes you alg7-munif),

Remember how I said ATI cards are heavily dependent on their drivers because of the compiler?
Looks like I was right, this card needs its "optimizations" to perform as good as it can.

I told you so, and here's a big F U for not listening the first time you ATi fanboys. The ATi hardware is heavily dependent on these optimizations by the drivers, so not only the half-assed 4 shaders per cluster can work properly (One true shader per cluster which has 5 shaders), but to allow the card to perform as "great" as you think it can.

This is the main reason why I've said UDA > * and that a unified hardware architecture in the sense of logical unit processing is more superior to ATis.

/endrant.

Now that I've installed the hotfix driver, I just got a 15-20% FPS increase, woohoo.

Now I'm getting an average of 40-50 FPS here as well, which is nice.

Remember how I said ATI cards are heavily dependent on their drivers because of the compiler?

/endrant.

Do you have to try pretty hard to be a gigantic douchebag, or does it just come naturally?

Looks like I was right, this card needs its "optimizations" to perform as good as it can.

I told you so, and here's a big F U for not listening the first time you ATi fanboys. The ATi hardware is heavily dependent on these optimizations by the drivers, so not only the half-assed 4 shaders per cluster can work properly (One true shader per cluster which has 5 shaders), but to allow the card to perform as "great" as you think it can.

This is the main reason why I've said UDA > * and that a unified hardware architecture in the sense of logical unit processing is more superior to ATis.

/endrant.

Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Next time pull the thong out your a** and you will be in a better mood. You obviously are an NVidiot fanboy and YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK. GOODBYE! :p

Now back on topic anyone else benchmarked with the game please post your results.

Miss something, Chuck? Gains in DX10 improved mainly when using AA. NVidia cards now have similar access to the DX10.1 style AA that has allowed similar gains in AMD hardware, but that is done via driver implementation that exposes the hardware features, imagine that. Fact is both camps rely on continual driver improvement to adapt to the plethora of games out there. It's really not that hard of a concept. There is no such thing as this magic hardware you speak of that will run flawlessly at ~100% efficiency for every game from now until eternity.

on my specs with the hot fix, i can play Far Cry 2 at Ultra High 4x AA 1280x1024 V SYNC'D at 30 frames. Even at those frames it looks very nice. But one thing i noticed is that it barely taxes the 4870 x2. My GPU usage in game usually idles around 45% no matter waht im doing, rarely going over 50%. While my processor cores are usually in the 90's and my RAM is around 1550 mb usage. So basically, my other parts are bottlenecking my GPU haha.

on my specs with the hot fix, i can play Far Cry 2 at Ultra High 4x AA 1280x1024 V SYNC'D at 30 frames. Even at those frames it looks very nice. But one thing i noticed is that it barely taxes the 4870 x2. My GPU usage in game usually idles around 45% no matter waht im doing, rarely going over 50%. While my processor cores are usually in the 90's and my RAM is around 1550 mb usage. So basically, my other parts are bottlenecking my GPU haha.

Something is not working right yet, my HD4870 X2 is not even hot running the game, disabling the Catalyst AI would give me a higher FPS and the card heats up a little bit.

Btw I alt-tabbed out of the game and now it is running in Windowed mode, anybody knows how to run it in full screen again? Quitting the game won't do :(

Edit: I found it, I need to edit the gamer profile in My Documents

I know some of you are using higher settings for some parts..im using optimal...but huge differences in my fps compared to yours tbh:

Settings: Demo(Ranch Medium), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Optimal), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Very High), Terrain(Very High), Geometry(Very High), Post FX(High), Texture(Very High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

* Average Framerate: 69.62 (of 3 loops)
* Max. Framerate: 113.01
* Min. Framerate: 42.31

4870x2, Q9550 OC to 3.4, 8GB DDR2, vista x64 using direct x10

Im using the catalyst 8.10 drivers (didnt bother with the hotfix)

Some things to note though:

-was getting about half this fps and sound issues at first. Vista had set my default sound options to 5.1 instead of my 2.1, once that was corrected not only did the sound improve but my fps doubled :S.

-After an hour or so i get some weird gfx such as black triangles for about 3 seconds then it crashes...i can load the game backup and play for another hour or so and same thing will happen.

Even with these settings im getting better then some of you are reporting :S

Settings: Demo(Ranch Medium), 1920x1200 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

• Average Framerate: 62.46 (3 loops)
  • Max. Framerate: 97.86
  • Min. Framerate: 38.94
Edit: I just installed the hotfix drivers

Settings: Demo(Ranch Medium), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Optimal), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Very High), Terrain(Very High), Geometry(Very High), Post FX(High), Texture(Very High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

• Total Frames: 10815, Total Time: 150.00s
  • Average Framerate: 72.10
  • Max. Framerate: 118.09 (Frame:2939, 27.62s)
  • Min. Framerate: 43.90 (Frame:9201, 123.36s)
For the benchmark i used the same settings that i posted at the top of this post and so i gained about 3 fps average, 5 max and 1.5 min. Although it was only for one loop but vs the first loop (which is usually the highest fps) of the 8.10 drivers its still about a 2-3fps improvement which is worth the update i guess :D although hopefully this time it wont mess up tf2 for me.

Just got in from work, not tried the game yet, running a few benchmarks to see what is what.

Here is the first one, with the 8.1 drivers with no hotfix, I've read a thread over at guru3d and I think AMD have buggered the hotfix somewhat, details here - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=276747

Note all the below benchmarks are with 16xAF forced through the CP

8.10 Cats with NO hotfix

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 2560x1600 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
Loop 1

* Total Frames: 1204, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 23.60
* Max. Framerate: 30.28 (Frame:1089, 46.95s)
* Min. Framerate: 15.52 (Frame:0, 0.06s)

8.10 Cats WITH hotfix

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 2560x1600 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
Loop 1

* Total Frames: 1792, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 35.13
* Max. Framerate: 53.67 (Frame:1574, 46.57s)
* Min. Framerate: 20.73 (Frame:0, 0.05s)

8.10 Cats WITH hotfix but added 2xAA

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 2560x1600 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
Loop 1

* Total Frames: 1419, Total Time: 51.03s
* Average Framerate: 27.81
* Max. Framerate: 44.24 (Frame:1251, 46.67s)
* Min. Framerate: 14.45 (Frame:464, 22.91s)

The hotfix seems to boost the overall FPS which is nice, theres some stutter until you restart which is quite nasty, a reboot seemed to fix it though so that's all good, the benchmarks above with the hotfix added are after the reboot.

So far, fucking brilliant.

It was mentioned there might be some stuttering in the timedemos which does not happen in real gameplay.

You guys suck, I'm stuck at work and then have class until 9pm, and THEN I have to wait for the game to download after I get home. Oh well, atleast I get to watch The Ultimate Fighter while I'm waiting for the download to complete, and hopefully the STEAM network won't be as congested then as it appears to be currently.

Just got in from work, not tried the game yet, running a few benchmarks to see what is what.

Here is the first one, with the 8.1 drivers with no hotfix, I've read a thread over at guru3d and I think AMD have buggered the hotfix somewhat, details here - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=276747

8.1 Cats with NO hotfix

Loop 1

* Total Frames: 1204, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 23.60
* Max. Framerate: 30.28 (Frame:1089, 46.95s)
* Min. Framerate: 15.52 (Frame:0, 0.06s)

8.1 Cats WITH hotfix

Loop 1

* Total Frames: 1686, Total Time: 51.00s
* Average Framerate: 33.06
* Max. Framerate: 65.51 (Frame:1, 0.03s)
* Min. Framerate: 24.03 (Frame:614, 17.49s)

The hotfix seems to boost the overall FPS but theres some real stutter going on, every few seconds it lags for 1/2 a second in the benchmark, this isn't microstuttering this is something worse, Im just going to load up the game and see if it keeps happening, If that doesnt help I will restart and report back.

*edit*

To amend the above, I got stuttering in the full game as well, i've since restarted and thats gone away, so overall improved FPS, pretty much smooth enough to play with them settings.

Im a bit frustrated, I died during the first part, after a long in game cut scene, but it sort of completed the mission while i died, then It loads and im stuck looking at a shelf o_O

Theres no autosave by that point so i have to relaunch the game from scratch, sit through the cutscene again but this time it crashes right near the end with looping sound, which doesnt stop even when the game has closed so that needed a restart, and now I have to sit through that bloody cutscene again...sigh.

I also noticed flickering ground shadows in the distance around the outside of the first map, will confirm that when I've sat through the whole cutscene again :/

What's up with the 8.1's or did you mean 8.10's?

well this 4670 sucks. I didnt average but 29 fps at just 1024x768 with max settings and no AA. :mad:

also whats with the cartoony looking grass? it shimmers like crazy in the distance and seems out out place compared to the other graphics. hopefully theres a way to turn down the grass density like in STALKER. :confused:

Updated my post above, it's working better now, shadow issues are gone, micro freezing is gone, but I've just crashed with looping sound again, going to look for updated Asus Xonar drivers, sigh.

BTW brilliant so far, looks fantastic and runs surprisingly well, refer to my 2nd benchmark for a rough idea of the frame rate, I will bench again shortly to update that in case the micro freezing was causing lower frame rates, it's certainly playable in game.

So far it's probably the best console/PC cross platform game EVER, textures are incredibly high resolution for the ground, people, guns etc, shadows are high res, evey leaf shadowed onto the ground, sounds are great, animations and presentation are great. Love it.

Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Next time pull the thong out your a** and you will be in a better mood. You obviously are an NVidiot fanboy and YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK. GOODBYE! :p

Now back on topic anyone else benchmarked with the game please post your results.

lmao so owned

Updated my post above, it's working better now, shadow issues are gone, micro freezing is gone, but I've just crashed with looping sound again, going to look for updated Asus Xonar drivers, sigh.

BTW brilliant so far, looks fantastic and runs surprisingly well, refer to my 2nd benchmark for a rough idea of the frame rate, I will bench again shortly to update that in case the micro freezing was causing lower frame rates, it's certainly playable in game.

So far it's probably the best console/PC cross platform game EVER, textures are incredibly high resolution for the ground, people, guns etc, shadows are high res, evey leaf shadowed onto the ground, sounds are great, animations and presentation are great. Love it.
well for me the shadows inside are a jagged mess.

why is nobody complaing about the awful looking grass?

I don't know if anyone has reported this yet, but I am defintalely getting playable framerates from my single 4850 @ 1920x1200 2xAA Max settings. I thought some people might like to know this. I am very happy about it!

I don't know if anyone has reported this yet, but I am defintalely getting playable framerates from my single 4850 @ 1920x1200 2xAA Max settings. I thought some people might like to know this. I am very happy about it!

Those are the settings I'm shooting for with my 4850. Good to know, thanks.

No fan control with 8.10 hotfix drivers? Someone on guru3d said that in that link above. Is this true?

No fan control with 8.10 hotfix drivers? Someone on guru3d said that in that link above. Is this true?
not for me. I have an ASUS card that has a two prong fan which cant be adjusted anyway so maybe the drivers detected that when I installed them and therefore didnt even install the fan control portion of the 8.10 drivers.

For those who are using an ATI card, I highly suggest installing that hotfix, it increases your FPS to 20% which is nice. I was getting 20-30 FPS when using the 8.10 drivers, after installing the hotfix I got up to 50 FPS under 1920x1080 with ultra settings using 8x AA.

Any word on what I should expect to have performance wise?

E6600 @ 3.0, 8800GT, 4GB 800mhz DDR2
Gaming @ 1920X1200.

Back