Fan Orientation and Ugliness.

When someone calls my Noctuas ugly I respond with"they just got character" 😂
DWD1961 hope the fan testing goes well
I'd probably jsut use all of the Noc Redux fans if I didn;t have a display case. They are priced well and have excellent specs. The Redux fans aren't really ugly, but minimalist, and that's not a bad thing. I like all the Noc fan blade types and carriages are fine. The Brown color just really turns me off. An all black case with a blackout MB and cooler theme would look pretty decent with teh brown Nocs I guess. I dunno, but that brown color is teh least asthetically color for me, except that old green board color that no one seems to use anymore. Reminded me of snot.

Older build in my Jonsbro W2 Chassis. 4 x 140mm intake was too much for this case. The single 120mm could not keep up so the temps were higher than I liked.
IMG_1007.JPG

Current build is a 2 PC in one custom case mod. Gaming PC on one side and media/backup server on the other side.
IMG_5131 resize.jpeg

Gaming:
RenderedImage.jpg

Server/media/Plex:
RenderedImage edit.jpg

Anyways, used the Redux all over the place and could not be happier. Great performance with decent aesthetics. I started off thinking I would go anti RGB, but it grew over time. I still need to do some additional work on the cabling and clean a few things up, but this thing has been a challenge and I am just happy it's up and running right now. Case is a Lian Li PC-D600, 6700K with a 2080 Super on the gaming side and a 6700K on the server side, both running Windows 10 Pro. Might be looking to upgrade soon which should push me to tidy everything up the way I want it. We'll see....

Older build in my Jonsbro W2 Chassis. 4 x 140mm intake was too much for this case. The single 120mm could not keep up so the temps were higher than I liked.
Nice rigs. What do you mean the 140s were too much?

I too vacillated on RGB vs Non RGB but I did get a glass panel display case, sooooo. I went 90% non RGB becasueI can add light strips if I want alter, and the MB I'm using does have leds on its underside. As far as fans go, I decided not to do RGB because it would glare in my face using the case I have and how I have my rig mounted. It's on a rolling table with teh case on top of the table itself. If I want light on the fans, I can use LEGS above them to gently highlight them. Your RAM makes me wish I had gotten the white, non RGB version of the Trident ram. I can still return it. My thinking was that I can turn the RAM RGB to white and it would look similar and I would have the option of RGB or non RGB. Also, the LED cover is also white, so when it is off, it's white, but not as solid white as the below.

I bought this:
61Mo5QjeXwL._AC_SL1062_.jpg

But I think I want this more:
811DCYmQEBL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

One thing I am glad I did aws go ITX. The Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi ITX board is really nice looking and so easy to work with. Small is good :) Of course, it all boils down to boot time. Crossing my fingers I that have no issues. I installed the CPU and the M2 NVme drive last night. Waiting on the CPU cooler now. Then install that, the RAM, and install the board. Always the most stressful time.

I wish I could get some short braided extension cables like yours. I don;t want to get the longer ones because of voltage drops, etc., but if they just made them about 6" for the ATX and CPU/12V cable,and one 8" for the Video card cable,that would be really cool.

I'm thinking about using two of these and then it will turn directly into the case in back of the MB and you'll never see the ATX wires:

81mMxs0Y1zL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rigs. What do you mean the 140s were too much?

Too much intake and not enough exhaust. I couldn't displace the hot air in the case as fast as I wanted, which led to higher than normal temps for the GPU.

Too much intake and not enough exhaust. I couldn't displace the hot air in the case as fast as I wanted, which led to higher than normal temps for the GPU.

Oh ok so the case wasn't passively ventilated enough to discharge the hot air and actually needs exhaust fan(s)? I don't think I'll have that problem in the case am using. I'll use as many exhaust fans as I need, but I don't think I'll need them at all. I think the fans will have enough exhaust holes to blow out of on their own. The back and hidden compartment sides are Swiss cheese.

You can see in the MB side, the back has tons of passive ventilation holes. What they never show you is that the PSU compartment is the same, plus it has a huge passive vent about 6" x 12" back there too. In fact, the other side has more ventilation than the side we see here in the picture.

612xcAwkW7L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I snapped a quick picture of the other side. That entire compartment is ventilated, and the open hole in the back above the PSU has a ventilated cover that goes over it. It's where the no tool swap hard drive cage went. That's why I was contemplating firing the top fans directly down into the MB and CPU fan compartment. However, with the alternate fans from Arctic vs the be Quite fans I was going to use, I'll never need (4) 140mm fans. They put out even more air than the 140mm 1500RPM Noc Redux, 1500RPM @ 133,7 m³/h vs 1800RPM @ 176 m³/h and they put out a lot more air than the be quite 140s at 85 m3H:

WP_20200304_10_56_49_Pro.jpg

I could easily rig the hard drive cage to fit that 140mm or at least a 120mm fan to blow onto the back of the motherboard, right on eh back plate of the CPU too. There are many possibilities with this case. I'm still contemplating turning the case on it's side, adding some 1/2" clear rubber bumpers to the side you see above, and using it like that. Then you would see directly down on the MB area through the top of the case.

Last edited:
"I went back and read their review and the MAX Load setting they use "CPU+FPU AIDA64 stability test" is quite simply overkill and not something your CPU is going to ever face in day to day usage. To me the "Mixed Load" is indicative of what you are going to see on a daily basis and 81C seems pretty reasonable for the size of the cooler."

I really wanted to test that little cooler. It's really clean looking. The test they did was an open case with ventilation moving air away from the radiator too. All things being equal, when gaming and loading the GPU and CPU with a high end game, in my case with really good airflow, I'd expect you're right, and even lower. Stress test could be much lower too, maybe 85-90 or lower. However, if the radiator is saturated, it doesn't matter how much more air you feed it it just isn't going to get cooler than xx. We see that when adding two 140mm fans to a tower cooler, and you only get 4C lower temps.

I wish I could have found a test that tried to maximize the coolers capabilities. Testing a cooler with no airflow over it takes away variables for testing, but it isn't realistic testing. Coolers are meant to have air flowing over them not just sitting in their own heat. Still, I could have run into saturation even with tons of airflow around that cooler.

The second problem I had was that I couldn't find any fans that were either black or the Noc Brown. 92mm fans are not too in demand, so I didn't find anything pleasing. In that way, I was stuck with a black fan and that's it. Definitely a cleaner build with that cooler, though, definitely.

I'd just like t run a test on it that dissipates heated air to see what it can do.

Last edited:
Just tried to install the L12S and ran into a dilemma. With the RAM I have, which Noctua says is compatible, you need to remove the heat sink to remove the first bank of RAM.You can get it installed with the heat sink on, but just barely. However, to pull the RAM stick out, you have to remove the cooler. There just isn't enough room to grab the ram and pull it up and out. With lower RAM, you may be able to get it out, but it would still be a struggle.

Also, you can install the cooler in two potions, longitudinally or latitudinally. The way the cooler should fit over the motherboard, the way it gives the most room to the M2 slot and looks the best, brackets for that mounting position cover the VRMs. I can use it the other way, but then both sticks of my RGB RAM are under the cooler.

I could live with the positioning of the cooler, but I don't know if I can live with having to take the fucking heat sink off every time I want or need to take out a stick of RAM in the first slot.

This is the only viable position, unless I want to cover the VRMs. As you can see, both RAM banks are covered If Noctua had told me I'd have to uninstall the heat sink to take out the RAM, I'd never have purchased this. Thinking hard about returning it and getting the L9a. Grrrrrr.

WP_20200304_21_20_45_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
IMO - The extra cooling headroom is worth it. Having the fan from the cooler blowing down on your RAM is a benefit.

Once installed and running, how often do you plan on taking out your RAM?

Like I said just my take on it, but I would rather have my CPU running at a lower temp than have to worry about taking RAM out.

IMO - The extra cooling headroom is worth it. Having the fan from the cooler blowing down on your RAM is a benefit.

Like I said just my take on it, but I would rather have my CPU running at a lower temp than have to worry about taking RAM out.

HA, I thought for sure you would be "no way" with the RAM! Well, I need to think on it some. But your comment has me thinking I should just go for it.

RAM issue. I don't expect to be taking the RAM out at all, but you never know when you need to troubleshoot.

Last edited:

I mounted it. Foor somereason,I don;tlikeit, but I mounted it and we'll see. My options for a cooler are limited, so we'll see.

I was seriously thinking about AIO, but the MB I have doesn't have an pump header. Anyway to get around that?

I mounted it. Foor somereason,I don;tlikeit, but I mounted it and we'll see. My options for a cooler are limited, so we'll see.

I was seriously thinking about AIO, but the MB I have doesn't have an pump header. Anyway to get around that?
plug it into a fan header like we normally do. a pump header isnt a requirement and is usually intended for stand alone pumps that may draw higher amps.

Curious as to how those BioniX fans compare to my Noctua in the sound department. It is always hard to tell pitch from review videos.

Just got them. Horrible quality. When I spun the fan, you could see it slightly wobble in the carriage. The carriage is so thin and flimsy you can bend it with very slight finger pressure all teh way to the fan blades. The F140 case fan's emblem was even off center.

I jsut got a return ticket for Amazon, and those POSs are going right back to Arctic. I'm glad I didn't buy their cooler either. I can;t beleive they are asking that much for those cheap ass fans. Grrrrr.

Just got them. Horrible quality. When I spun the fan, you could see it slightly wobble in the carriage. The carriage is so thin and flimsy you can bend it with very slight finger pressure all teh way to the fan blades. The F140 case fan's emblem was even off center.

I jsut got a return ticket for Amazon, and those POSs are going right back to Arctic. I'm glad I didn't buy their cooler either. I can;t beleive they are asking that much for those cheap ass fans. Grrrrr.
you should have at least tried it. without the normal fan body and only the little ring it was bound to be a bit "flimsy" but once screwed down its probably fine. could peel the sticker off if it bugs you and were keeping it. how much did you pay?

you should have at least tried it. without the normal fan body and only the little ring it was bound to be a bit "flimsy" but once screwed down its probably fine. could peel the sticker off if it bugs you and were keeping it. how much did you pay?

I bought them on Amazon. I also have the 140mm ReduxNoctua fan, several Niec Servo Gentle Typhoons, Gelid 120s, Corsair fans, and many others, and these felt and wobbled like cheap Chinese 4 buck chuck knock offs. If you go to Amazon, there is a review that has pictures about how flimsy the fan carriage is and two broken blades due to them hitting the carriage at full speed. They really are cheaply built. They were expensive too.

Average $17.00 each.

I was thinking about just running them, but when I spun the fan blades and watched the fan itself wabble back and forth, I just couldn't keep them for that price. My old Nidec Servo GTs and the Gelid Solutions fan, all over 7 years old, the fans run true in their carriage. The Noctua Redux is miles ahead of them all and when I spin the fan, it spins and spins and spins and feel thick and tight and spins true as ever. Aaanother reviewer said they make nise at low speeds. Seriously, those fans are worth about 5 bucks.

I wanted white fans to go with my case, but I originally got the Noctua Redux case fans in 140 because I liked the grey dark grey color combination for my white case. I don't know why I changed my mind. Maybe because I saw the be Quite Silent series white series,which look really solid and very nice.

328111_ImageServer.phpID8da3da27772be-quiet.jpg
But they are expensive at $20 each, and they are lazy fans with lower CFM and low static pressure vs the Noctua Redux fans, which are $14.00 each. They aren't built as well as the Noc fans, with only about a little more than half the MTBF, too. They just look really nice. I'm seriously thinking about going with the Redux like I originally planned. Can't beat Noc fans.

There's something about the heft, feel and fit of a Nidec Servo GT that simply exudes confidence. The motorhub alone feels like it would be more at home in a main battle tank rather than in a PC. :D

1583471220849.png

Just wish they came in a 140mm size as well...

Last edited:
There's something about the heft, feel and fit of a Nidec Servo GT that simply exudes confidence. The motorhub alone feels like it would be more at home in a main battle tank rather then in a PC. :D
LOL, I have 4 of those I used a long time ago, and I still have one on my X58 core i7 920 cooling the CPU. Quite as ever.

I got it installed. I already got my Amazon approval so I can send it back anytime in the next month. It's ok. This is my first ITX build, and I really like the ITX thing. There is WAAAAY too much space in this mATX/ITX case though. It's a display case so it needs something later on to spice it up. The cooler takes up the entire MB practically. At this point, and for the price I'll be paying for the NOC cooler plus a different fan (planning on going with a Noc Redux 1800 RPM 120mm) at 15 bucks, that will be 65.00 total. For 70-80 I can get an AIO system. Do you know anything abut liquid cooling, reliability, etc?

There's something about the heft, feel and fit of a Nidec Servo GT that simply exudes confidence. The motorhub alone feels like it would be more at home in a main battle tank rather than in a PC. :D

View attachment 228099

Just wish they came in a 140mm size as well...
The Noctua fans move more air with a higher static pressure than the GTs and do it with less noise:

Noc 120mmRedux 1700RPM:
DBA: 25
CFM: 71
PRESSURE: 2.8 mm/H2O
Specs

GT 120mm 1850 RPM:
DBA: 26
CFM: 58
PRESSURE: 2.06 mm/H2O <--changed
Specs

GTs are old school - lol.

Last edited:
The Noctua fans move more air with a higher static pressure than the GTs and do it with less noise:

Noc 120mmRedux 1700RPM:
DBA: 25
CFM: 71
PRESSURE: 2.8 mm/H2O
Specs

GT 120mm 1850 RPM:
DBA: 26
CFM: 58
PRESSURE: 1.65 mm/H2O
Specs

GTs are old school - lol.

LOL, you're reading the wrong specs! The 1.65 value for the GT 1850 isn't for mm/H20, it's the airflow shown as m3/min.

The number/spec you want to look at is the "0.081" which is the static pressure value shown as inches H2O. Converted to mmH2O, that's 2.06. Granted, the specs for that Noctua are slightly better, but not much by "old school" standards. :-p Wasn't trying to harsh on the Nocs, they really are great fans, just suggesting that the GT 1850s aren't a bad choice either and get the job done. :D

LOL, you're reading the wrong specs! The 1.65 value for the GT 1850 isn't for mm/H20, it's the airflow shown as m3/min.

The number/spec you want to look at is the "0.081" which is the static pressure value shown as inches H2O. Converted to mmH2O, that's 2.06. Granted, the specs for that Noctua are slightly better, but not much by "old school" standards. :-p Wasn't trying to harsh on the Nocs, they really are great fans, just suggesting that the GT 1850s aren't a bad choice either and get the job done.

Yep, I messed that up. Good catch on the conversion. Changed. I knew something was wrong because they couldn't have been that much better. :) However, looking at CFM and pressure, the Redux seem much better. Unless I screwed up the specs, the Redux is a lot better.

22% better airflow
35% more pressure

Better check my math! If correct, that's a lot better, right?

Last edited:
I got it installed. I already got my Amazon approval so I can send it back anytime in the next month. It's ok. This is my first ITX build, and I really like the ITX thing. There is WAAAAY too much space in this mATX/ITX case though. It's a display case so it needs something later on to spice it up. The cooler takes up the entire MB practically. At this point, and for the price I'll be paying for the NOC cooler plus a different fan (planning on going with a Noc Redux 1800 RPM 120mm) at 15 bucks, that will be 65.00 total. For 70-80 I can get an AIO system. Do you know anything abut liquid cooling, reliability, etc?

I think with everything make sure you do your research and read the reviews. Personally I have not used any AIOs in my own rigs so I cannot comment on reliability or noise over the long term. I have primarily installed them for friends rigs. Most of them are Asetek variations, but some of the newer Corairs are newer CoolIT design.

I installed a Fractal S36 for a buddy of mine. Ran nice and quiet and was easy to install. There's no RGB, there is a fan hub attached to the radiator and the pump only has one wire coming off it. The CPU block has a dial that allows you to pick PWM or Auto. Overall a very clean and easy install, much less cable clutter compared to the Corsair stuff.

I have a NZXT Kraken X42 sitting in a box that I am waiting to install for a gaming PC for my boy. Can't really comment on noise etc, but I have read good things about the NZXT line up and don't have any concerns about running one.

Helped a buddy install his Corsair AIO, have read good things and like their newer line up with the new CoolIT pump. If you go with the Corsair LL fans(RGB) there's a ton of cable work. Also the CPU block had a cable to control the pump speed and a mini USB connection to control the RGB. Overall there was a lot of cables to manage compared to the Fractal S36.

EK just came out with their new lineup of AIOs. This is their second foray into the AIO market and they look good, but their still in pre-order and I have not seen any reviews on them yet. https://www.ekwb.com/solutions/all-in-one/

Any of the brands above should provide good results with little performance difference from one to the other. If your looking to be in the 1400mm or 280mm radiator realm then Corsair and NZXT are the two brands to look at. Fractal and EK only offer 120mm varients.

Yep, I messed that up. Good catch on the conversion. Changed. I knew something was wrong because they couldn't have been that much better. :) However, looking at CFM and pressure, the Redux seem much better. Unless I screwed up the specs, the Redux is a lot better.

22% better airflow
35% more pressure

Better check my math! If correct, that's a lot better, right?

Meh! If it's already more than good enough for the application at hand and it works, "a lot better" becomes sort of relative. :) Anything at 2 mm/H2O or higher is crazy good - most average "quiet" case fans struggle to hit 1 mm/H2O. And I've got 14 of'em in a push/pull config (480 rad and a 360 rad). It's not like switching to NOCs will do much for me. (I also don't run them at 1850rpm, more like 1100rpm, so they are VERY quiet.

I also squirreled away several GT 1850s as spares way back when I first set up my system's radiators... I thought having a few spares would be a good idea. Well, the orginal fans are all still running solid after nearly 9 years of use. (I don't run them 24/7, but still...) Haven't had to touch ANY of those spares yet... and that tells me something.

Sure, if I were looking at a new build right now, I'd probably consider the NOCs... but then again, those spare I have would do just as nicely.

If you really want/need to get on the 120mm fan high static pressure bandwagon, and don't mind the roar, then this Noctuua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWN fan might be to your liking with a static pressure of 7.63 mm/H2O and an airflow of 110 CFM. But unless your rig is in a closet or another room, you'll might also need earplugs. :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Meh! If it's already more than good enough for the application at hand and it works, "a lot better" becomes sort of relative. :) Anything at 2 mm/H2O or higher is crazy good - most average "quiet" case fans struggle to hit 1 mm/H2O. And I've got 14 of'em in a push/pull config (480 rad and a 360 rad). It's not like switching to NOCs will do much for me. (I also don't run them at 1850rpm, more like 1100rpm, so they are VERY quiet.

I also squirreled away several GT 1850s as spares way back when I first set up my system's radiators... I thought having a few spares would be a good idea. Well, the orginal fans are all still running solid after nearly 9 years of use. (I don't run them 24/7, but still...) Haven't had to touch ANY of those spares yet... and that tells me something.

Sure, if I were looking at a new build right now, I'd probably consider the NOCs... but then again, those spare I have would do just as nicely.

If you really want/need to get on the 120mm fan high static pressure bandwagon, and don't mind the roar, then this Noctuua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWN fan might be to your liking with a static pressure of 7.63 mm/H2O and an airflow of 110 CFM. But unless your rig is in a closet or another room, you'll might also need earplugs. :p
The static pressure is only an isue for CPU fans becsau after 2" or so, if the airflow isn't restricted, like it is on a heat sink, it doesn't matter. And, no, I can't deal with fan noise - lol. That's the reason I found the GT 120mm 9 years ago! :)

Last edited:
This is the one I was thinking about. I don't know if that is the newer CoolIT pump model or not. It's going to be the same price as the L12S I have after I buy a fan for it. Seriously thinking about an AIO 120mm model.
a 120 is going to have to spin faster and therefor make more noise. you have the room, just spend another $20 and get a 240.
edit: this would be a better option than a 120
edit removed link it was f'd. i was pointing to a cooler master 240 thats $65 on amazon.
edit3: [H] amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited:
This is the one I was thinking about. I don't know if that is the newer CoolIT pump model or not. It's going to be the same price as the L12S I have after I buy a fan for it. Seriously thinking about an AIO 120mm model.
That should be one of the older Asetek models. It's not that they were a bad design or anything, I just wanted to point out the recent change.

To pendragon1 point a 240 would probably be more ideal, more surface area, able to slow the fans down to control the noise. But we do have to realize this is a Ryzen 3600 and not a CPU that pumps out a ton of heat.

Realistically need to know what you want to spend. I would say since your case will take 140mm fans then something like This would be sweet, but I don't know if your willing to drop $140. You can also think of it as an investment. Should you upgrade your CPU the 280mm radiator on it will be better suited than a 120mm radiator.

That should be one of the older Asetek models. It's not that they were a bad design or anything, I just wanted to point out the recent change.

To pendragon1 point a 240 would probably be more ideal, more surface area, able to slow the fans down to control the noise. But we do have to realize this is a Ryzen 3600 and not a CPU that pumps out a ton of heat.

Realistically need to know what you want to spend. I would say since your case will take 140mm fans then something like This would be sweet, but I don't know if your willing to drop $140. You can also think of it as an investment. Should you upgrade your CPU the 280mm radiator on it will be better suited than a 120mm radiator.
Does the H60 come in the new flavor? Which Corsair AIO uses the CoolIT pump?

I like this look of this water block a lot. I've seen it in a couple of builds, and it looks really good. However, I have no idea what "Deep Cool" is. Never hear of them.

710s4%2B3GSsL._SL1500_.jpg
Link

Can't find their 120 in white though, of course. Probably better off that way - lol.

Well, good news!

I posted my new system tonight with zero codes. Everything was perfect. Went right into BIOS and everything looked right, CPU fan speed, temps, default Ram at 2133, I just disabled the APU PCIe option and exited out. Restarted and booted right back into the "Insert boot device or enter bios" screenj (very nice Gigabyte) BIOS with zero problems! Happy! Damn, forgot to look at RAm total though :( Need to make sure it's seeing all the RAM.

The RAM I chose is really beautiful. I was surprised at how nice it really does look. I'm actually happy I got the RGB version now. However, I could also tell right off the bat, that Noctua L12S has to go. It has to go. Liquid cooling, here I come. It's really a matter of function too. It makes it hard to do anything because it takes up so much of the MB surface. My only other option is to go 92mm tower or the L9a.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that only the newer Platinum and XTs were the CoolIT pumps. But I may be wrong.

I did find a review on the H60(2018) from guru3d and they eluded to the fact that the patent was licensed to Asetek. "Inside is the pump as well 1+1 is a patent, ergo this unit is licensed from Asetek." Link to the article should you care to read it.

They have some charts on there to give you an idea of the performance compared to other AIOs and even air coolers.

I was under the impression that only the newer Platinum and XTs were the CoolIT pumps. But I may be wrong.

I did find a review on the H60(2018) from guru3d and they eluded to the fact that the patent was licensed to Asetek. "Inside is the pump as well 1+1 is a patent, ergo this unit is licensed from Asetek." Link to the article should you care to read it.

They have some charts on there to give you an idea of the performance compared to other AIOs and even air coolers.
i could be wrong but every asetek ive ever seen/used and every one on their site now are round.

edit: h60(2018) and all current are coolit:

https://www.coolitsystems.com/enthusiast/

Last edited:

Just read that and saw the cabling for the AIO pump. Corsair can't even sleeve their AIO pump wire?

Well, well, well, here we go, as long as Enermax is quality, I think I found my cooler - have to read reviews first.

717hJkZq7cL._SL1500_.jpg

And, sleeved wires, like it should be CORSAIR.
81dETnXiArL._SL1500_.jpg

But I still see some bare plastic wire funk coming out of the water block, too. White hoses and water block though.

Just read that and saw the cabling for the AIO pump. Corsair can't even sleeve their AIO pump wire?

Well, well, well, here we go, as long as Enermax is quality, I think I found my cooler - have to read reviews first.

View attachment 228434

And, sleeved wires, like it should be CORSAIR.
View attachment 228435

But I still see some bare plastic wire funk coming out of the water block, too. White hoses and water block though.

Yeah I have a H115i Platinum and I wish they sleeved the wires, at least the fan and RGB ones for the fans, since they all go to the damn radiator. Not to mention they could have made the wires the correct length that way so you do not have to tie the up in a bundle to hide. For the price of their stuff I am amazed that they did not do this.

aerocool-ds-140mm-white-dual-layered-blades-with-noise-and-shock-reduction-frame-66.jpg

I've been using these fans in my cases for a while now. They move a lot of air, and keep my Corsair h100i as cool as I could expect. Aerocool DS fans.

Does anybody else have experience with these?

View attachment 246254
I've been using these fans in my cases for a while now. They move a lot of air, and keep my Corsair h100i as cool as I could expect. Aerocool DS fans.

Does anybody else have experience with these?
I don't, but most fans are built with cheaper, lightweight plastics and the fan blades break off, as a result, with any contact with a hard surface when spinning. Generally, not a problem, but I had a Rosewill 140mm fan, which was lightweight and "plasticky" feeling break a fan blade like that. Others on Amazon have pictures of the ARCTIC bionix fans breaking fan blades and flexible frames. I initially bought a 140mm to see what it was like, and I sent it back. The fan wobbled in the frame and they felt cheap as hell, the frame bends when you lightly squeeze it, plus when I'd spin them, they would spin down very fast:

I have around 20 of these fans doing various things around my computer equipment, but today i thought it was high time to write a review about it. Of the 20ish or so I have, now 3 failed, with a 4th showing signs of dying within the first year of use. Yes, they move massive amounts of air, but I believe the issue stems from having a way too weak frame, so any sort of outside pressure may distort that frame and eventually cause blade interference. If you have one of these fans you can gently squeeze around the ring and watch how easily it flexes. Unfortunately this means if you don't have your mounting points exactly square, you will see the exact same kind of fan failures as I'm experiencing. Hopefully Arctic remedies this in the future, but for now, buyer beware. . https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...iewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B082TSQP9M#R1QAKKGLINFDW3

Conversely, the Noctua fans, if you spin them with a finger, keep spinning and spinning and spinning, and the fan blades don't wobble. Plus, the plastic they use is really dense, tough (not brittle), and solid feeling. The only other fan I've used that feels like that is the old school Gentle Typhoon by Nidec Servo.

The Bionix fans come in all sorts of colors, and Noctua has stated they can't just change colors and keep their quality plastic the way it is. Plus, the Arctic fans are more expensive than the Noc fans Redux fans. It took them a long time to come out with the Noctua Redux line in shares of grey. I wish they would come out with an all white or at least a white blade version of the Redux models.

Buy a Noctua 120/140 fan and just hold it and spin it and look it over really well. You'll see what I mean about quality.

Now, if the Arctic Bionix had been half the price of the Noc fans, I'd have probably gone with them anyway. Right now the Arctic Bionix 140 is 17.00 USD compared to 15.00 for the Noc 1200RPM Redux model. I'm not spending more on a shittier fan just for color.

Arctic Bionix: https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Bioni...082TSQP9M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
Back