Fallout: New Vegas Ships 5 Million

HardOCP News

[H] News
Bethesda has announced that Fallout: New Vegas has shipped five million copies already. Coincidentally that is also the same number of bugs & glitches found in the game so far too. :(

Bethesda Softworks announces the "Successful Launch of Fallout: New Vegas," saying this success is reflected in the five million units they've shipped for Obsidian's RPG sequel. "We are delighted by the reception Fallout: New Vegas has received from fans around the world," said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks.

Not to sound jaded but…as a huge fan of Fallout 3…I have to say that I have had more lock ups and glitches with Fallout: New Vegas than I have with all the other games I have played…combined. I have both an NVIDIA gaming box and an ATi box and between HConsole and Hypothermia, I have a gamer score of over 150,000….this ONE game has locked up on every machine I have more than all the other games I have played combined. :(

I didnt have too many lock ups on my game.

and i thought it was quite a bit better than FO3 as far as quests, items, npcs go.....

I'll buy it when all DLCs are out and most bugs are pancaked.

Given the current progress of releasing patches to fix obvious bugs that escaped QA, you should be ready to pick it up in the year 2092. :D

Not to sound jaded but…as a huge fan of Fallout 3…I have to say that I have had more lock ups and glitches with Fallout: New Vegas than I have with all the other games I have played…combined. I have both an NVIDIA gaming box and an ATi box and between HConsole and Hypothermia, I have a gamer score of over 150,000….this ONE game has locked up on every machine I have more than all the other games I have played combined. :(

I am really disappointed with New Vegas, Fallout 3 did not have the problems I am experiencing on the same exact machine.

I really want to like the game, but the numerous bugs, lag issues, and crashing is really keeping me from even finishing it. Wish I could return the game and get my money back. :mad:

I've had 2 CTD in 41 hours of playing, ran into maybe 3 bugs, none of them game breaking. FO3, on the other hand, gave me much more trouble until I found the right tweaks.

I love the game and estimate I am about 75% of the way through it, unfortunately the further I get through the game the more frequently it crashes. I played through FO:3 on this rig and had nowhere near this amount of issues. Lately, the CTD's have left my rig looping an extremely annoying quarter second audio stutter until the system is rebooted, which makes the crashing MUCH more annoying.

The gameplay is so damn good though that I find myself coming back for more again and again. After they releases a patch within 2 days of release I was hopeful they would be proactive in resolving these issues but I don't think we've seen another one since (steam auto updates but I haven't seen any news of another patch).

The bugs perhaps gave it recognition and word of mouth sales. What do I mean? Well, remember when HardOCP posted the video where the guy's head was going crazy? Who's to say there were some viewers who hadn't even realized it came out but then saw that video and thought 'Oh, it's out!' Best selling AND most buggy? Maybe not a coincidence.

I haven't really experienced any major bugs. I'm 30 hours in and I haven't had a single corrupted save. I've had 3 crashes so far, which is less than I had in the same timeframe that I played Fallout 3 on. I'm not dissing either game, though. They're huge with an insane amount of content. Quite simply - it's no surprise that there are bugs in a game this huge, regardless of how many I've encountered (read: few).

Have played for 57 hours so far, and only had one crash. I also had the frame rate drop by half once, after about 5 hours of play.

Given the current progress of releasing patches to fix obvious bugs that escaped QA, you should be ready to pick it up in the year 2092. :D

Fallout 3 was buggy as hell for me in the beginning in Win XP. in Win 7 with my Steam GOTY edition not so much anymore. waiting on FNV for awhile before I buy.

i haven't seen that many bugs but one of the vaults you go in for the plant quest. i should of killed the bitch but no, i had to help her.

How well did FO3 sell up to this point?

As for bugs. The game has run very smoothly. Better than FO3 -> Oblivion -> Morrowind. Must the luck of the draw.

The game runs fine on my machine, but yes the bugs are abundant. There are a couple of mercanaries stuck inside each other at one point on the map. Sometimes when I go into VATS white squares blink over peoples heads. And the most anoying of all is the constant crashing.

If anyone cares I am running Win7 x64, C2Q 2.8ghz, 4GB ram, and a Radeon 4890 1GB.

There are a couple of mercanaries stuck inside each other at one point on the map.
...That could just be a Wild Wasteland reference to Brokeback Mountain :D

I'm ~40-50 hr in on the 360 and aside from a few minor visual anomalies I haven't come across the "omg this game is so buggy/unplayable/glitchy/POS i want my monies back" that people on the interwebs are talkin'bout. Guess I'm just lucky, or perhaps all those years of game testing has made me oblivious to the "little things."

p.s. (Before I get flamed) I'm not saying others aren't having issues, but maybe this is a case of the game being so popular that the regular amount of game gremlins are being amplified.?

From what I've played it's a great game... just wish I could continue playing it; at this point when I log in I'm greeted with a blank menu screen; no way to continue, start new, or even quit. I don't even want to get into the piss poor Nvidia support for multi-screen loven. :(

GD pirates

If it weren't for them, they could have shipped 5million and 1 copies.

For people with problems: Bethesda is promising a large comprehensive patch in the coming weeks for all three platforms. For those of us with Nvidia cards and the PC version we could be getting a small patch as early as next week to fix some issues. Said smaller patch will also fix companion and save game corruption issues.

Did you do the DX9 fixes? for nvidia and AMD?

You don't sound jaded. NV is more buggy than FO3. This is pretty well known. Its Obsidian's general level of incompetence in coding games.

At least the bugs only mildly distract from the game's good points, like dialog that wasn't written by someone with a grade schooler's level of understanding on how people talk to each other.

Even after using the custom dll files for the video card, the loads of fixes the community at Fallout New Vegas Nexus has provided (thanks guys 'n gals!!!), the game is still buggy as ever. Even thou the game is awesome, the random CTD's are very annoying, but not showstoppers, here's an example of a showstopper...

Start collecting the parts for the quest "Still in the Dark" or hell, finish it, save your game, now, try to reload that game...yeah, the save file corrupts, causing a CTD, so I can't finish that quest.

Or, finish the quest (if you can) "I Could Make You Care", see what happens to Veronica...mmm..she's not following you anymore, or helping you out in fights is she?

Sorry for ranting, just upset I have to wait for the next series of fixes to move on in the game...

I still haven't figured out how to get out of the baby room in the 1st one. :(

How well did FO3 sell up to this point?

As for bugs. The game has run very smoothly. Better than FO3 -> Oblivion -> Morrowind. Must the luck of the draw.

Who knows? My system is almost identical to yours, aside from the ram and mobo. I would say hardware has at least a little to do with it. Not that I'm shifting responsibility from the devs, because they need to test on a variety of hardware... or just use a better engine next time. Seriously, enough with the Gamebryo. Oblivion hated some of my nVidia cards.

Who knows? My system is almost identical to yours, aside from the ram and mobo. I would say hardware has at least a little to do with it. Not that I'm shifting responsibility from the devs, because they need to test on a variety of hardware... or just use a better engine next time. Seriously, enough with the Gamebryo. Oblivion hated some of my nVidia cards.

Or just use a version of Gamebryo that isn't four years old.

o man hell yeah about the glitches

i had the death claw mother melt out into some sort of huge polygonal puddle

woulda made a nice screen shot :p

I've went through 2 game re-installs and a driver update to the newest drivers and this damn game crashes every 30 mins at a minimum. It always happens after I exit a menu or my Pip boy. The game CTDs and says "Fallout NV has encountered a problem and needs to close" or something to that effect, then doesn't elaborate at all. Another thing is that after I "verify integrity of game cache" in Steam, it says "1 files (sic) failed to validate and will be reacquired", but it's not reacquired, which is why I re-installed it with to no avail and get the same error.

This is all with the rig in my sig on Win 7 64-bit. It's not a OC problem because my cards are stock speed and my proc folds/benches without error. Any ideas? I've tried googling around, but there's waaay too many damn threads about similar (but not exact) issues that haven't helped or applied to me :(.

He's not in the room though?

I ran into the bug you're talking about fairly early on right after the release of FO3, it ended up being a conflict that messed with the nvidia driver. Had to reinstall the game, reinstall GFWL, get rid of the video card driver, reinstall video driver, reinstalled the game with GFWL, patched the game and it worked. There should be some mods out that fix this entirely from happening, but I'm not sure which.

I've went through 2 game re-installs and a driver update to the newest drivers and this damn game crashes every 30 mins at a minimum. It always happens after I exit a menu or my Pip boy. The game CTDs and says "Fallout NV has encountered a problem and needs to close" or something to that effect, then doesn't elaborate at all. Another thing is that after I "verify integrity of game cache" in Steam, it says "1 files (sic) failed to validate and will be reacquired", but it's not reacquired, which is why I re-installed it with to no avail and get the same error.

This is all with the rig in my sig on Win 7 64-bit. It's not a OC problem because my cards are stock speed and my proc folds/benches without error. Any ideas? I've tried googling around, but there's waaay too many damn threads about similar (but not exact) issues that haven't helped or applied to me :(.

Most likely because of the issues most Nvidia owners have with the game. Random thought: Have you tried running it without SLI?

Most likely because of the issues most Nvidia owners have with the game. Random thought: Have you tried running it without SLI?

Yes, but only to see if I could run Ultra settings with one card (1920x1200). It was too studdery (or at least worse than SLI, hah), so I refused to lower graphics, hah. That's ridiculous though if the game is that bugged out to not support SLI. Any other NV players using SLI without issue?

I just have to save every min or two to make sure I don't lose progress when it crashes :(.

I started playing the game with patch 1.01 and haven't had a single "game breaking" glitch yet, and no CTD's either. Every now and then I get a slight lag with I go into VATS, and sometimes character animations are off (staring at walls) and I think I encountered a male NPC with a female voice (not sure if it was on purpose though). Anyway, fantastic game, plays very well (2560x1600, 4xAA, other settings maxed, 60FPS+ constant), really brings me back to Fallouts 1 and 2.

I hve noticed one thing on both FO3 and NV...as I accumulate more save files I tend to have more Crash to Desktops. Nothing scientific but for the first 25 or so hours I had narry an issue. But after about 200 saves I started getting the odd crash then after 300 it happened a lot more. Until I cleaned it out I just kept getting more and more. Once I cut it down to about 100 or less the crashing issue went away for me.

Back