Fallout 76 Will be Up "Forever"

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Publicly, Bethesda has been very confident about Fallout 76, and that confidence continued over the weekend. In a recent interview with Gamespot, Pete Hines said "How long is [Fallout 76] going to be up? Forever." Many game developers have a habit of abandoning online games prematurely, but with this statement and previous private server promises, Bethesda seems to be bucking the industry trend.

"We're going to keep going as long as people keep playing it and it shows no sign of slowing down," he said. "Once we get to private servers or whatever happens in the years following; I don't know. Maybe there's a point where it doesn't matter. But ... this is a massive franchise and a massive undertaking, and our commitment to it is it is never-ending, and that it continues on an ongoing basis." Because Fallout 76 is an online-only game, should Bethesda ever decide to pull the plug on the servers, how does that impact the idea of ownership of the game? Hines said game ownership "isn't particularly relevant" at this juncture because, "I see a plan for this game for years and years and years. So talking about when it's not up is kind of irrelevant. I have nothing to look at that says it's not going to be up forever."

Easy to say, much harder to deliver on. Especially 20 years from now...lets see how long they keep that code base relevant...

Easy to say, much harder to deliver on. Especially 20 years from now...lets see how long they keep that code base relevant...

Previous Bethesda games do have a history of longevity. Just look at Morrowind.

But Bethesda's actual support of those old games... that's a different story.

I don't know why companies say this. They couldn't expect this to be taken as good news could they? Commit to something realistic, like 10 years, and it might have meant something. With forever, that means 'as long as we feel like it,' as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know why companies say this. They couldn't expect this to be taken as good news could they? Commit to something realistic, like 10 years, and it might have meant something. With forever, that means 'as long as we feel like it,' as far as I'm concerned.
It could also mean that 10 years from now they just release the server code and let people host their own and they just make the download available forever as is. Technically their statement is still true. I am less interested in how long they claim they will be supporting it and what their pricing/subscription model will look like. I am personally more interested in a subscription model than any of that F2P&P2W BS. Because the real answer is as long as the game remains profitable is as long as they will keep supporting it.

I feel like it was answered very simply. As long as it shows no signs of slow down?

Most online game turn off the servers exactly because of slow down.

Which could happen 6 months after launch.

Forever is a long fing time. PR Fluff. If they really wanted to commit to forever, they would have a local, P2P server option available.

The beta runs like complete crap. I am hoping they fix the issue where the game physics is tied to the framerate...and support ultrawide resolutions natively, but I am not holding my breath. The game engine is horribly outdated and should NEVER have been considered for this game.

The beta runs like complete crap. I am hoping they fix the issue where the game physics is tied to the framerate...and support ultrawide resolutions natively, but I am not holding my breath. The game engine is horribly outdated and should NEVER have been considered for this game.
Oh no they kept using the same engine? There is no way that they will fix the physics being tied to the frame rate then. Forever really means one year then, which is about the time it will have an active user base of 10 players.

Previous Bethesda games do have a history of longevity. Just look at Morrowind.

I fully expect Morrowind to outlive Fallout 76.

Just look at projects like OpenMW. Fan made open source game engine that can load the original game files/mods and adds Linux/Mac support, distant land, shaders, and multiplayer.

giphy.gif

What a bunch of babies. The game runs really well. My ancient i5 750 and a GTX 1070 are perfect for this. I have been playing the beta and my 2560x1600 screen is fine with it. Fast, smooth and I think like two framerate hitches in 4 hours, yesterday. Its good and a lot of fun. For the 'I hate PvP' crowd, I have managed to play completely solo for the entire PC beta, except for about 45 minuts banging off the first part of the Overseers quest. Then I went north and own the north west. Well the Super Mutants keep spawning, so although they are an important resource, my ownership is regularly contested. ;)

The various little screw ups are getting fixed,, sussed my monitor yesterday where before it was weird. This game will kill!

EMP nuke....problem solved guys, this won't be up forever, now where is that giant red button....lets see if he's lying.

If they release the dedicated server support so we can avoid Bethesda nonsense with mods, then yes it just might last "forever". As for it running well, no it doesn't. Lag was an issue for some, I watched a couple of streamers get it bad around group events and pop in issues. My 3-4 hours in game was decent enough but for graphics glitches and lag spikes in combat. The latter got annoying at times.

If they release the dedicated server support so we can avoid Bethesda nonsense with mods, then yes it just might last "forever". As for it running well, no it doesn't. Lag was an issue for some, I watched a couple of streamers get it bad around group events and pop in issues. My 3-4 hours in game was decent enough but for graphics glitches and lag spikes in combat. The latter got annoying at times.
I had none of that. Even the swarm events ran well and the combat was just fine. I dunno why some of us have a nearly flawless game now, and some do not, but its improved quite a lot in just the 4 PC beta events.

Now my PvP was minimal so I can't comment on that.

What a bunch of babies. The game runs really well. My ancient i5 750 and a GTX 1070 are perfect for this. I have been playing the beta and my 2560x1600 screen is fine with it. Fast, smooth and I think like two framerate hitches in 4 hours, yesterday. Its good and a lot of fun. For the 'I hate PvP' crowd, I have managed to play completely solo for the entire PC beta, except for about 45 minuts banging off the first part of the Overseers quest. Then I went north and own the north west. Well the Super Mutants keep spawning, so although they are an important resource, my ownership is regularly contested. ;)

The various little screw ups are getting fixed,, sussed my monitor yesterday where before it was weird. This game will kill!
Notice how attacking the entire forum didn't get you any love?

Yep, I'd take skyrim2 over anything that requires online servers to run (lag) and involves random strangers.

My point was that "Skyrim 2" just sounds derpy - what people are looking forward to is The Elder Scrolls 6.

My point was that "Skyrim 2" just sounds derpy - what people are looking forward to is The Elder Scrolls 6.
No, I literally mean if they did skyrim 2 I'd be more interested in it than this. TES6 is not even mentionable on the same page.

Hah, When they put it in writing to take the Carmack route (as well as releasing assets under a copyleft license) when it goes down then I'll believe it :)

This operates under the assumption there will actually be anyone to play the game when it launches. Based on how testing has gone so far, it's a flop and really the first fallout game I'm not even the slightest bit excited about.

Somehow doing even worse than fallout tactics...

Ask EA how battlefield 2142 went longevity wise. . .Making these kinds of bold claims are fluff intended to distract you from actual issues, such as a wonky ass game they're about to release to the public.

I think Blizzard is one of the companies that takes the cake on supporting their games for "Forever", especially online. They are still patching Warcraft 3 and a new "Reforged" version too. They remastered Starcraft 1 as well.

This operates under the assumption there will actually be anyone to play the game when it launches. Based on how testing has gone so far, it's a flop and really the first fallout game I'm not even the slightest bit excited about.

Somehow doing even worse than fallout tactics...

So have you been playing the beta, or watching youtube? Testing has gone well and stuff is getting fixed. The game run great and I'm recommending it. We play again tomorrow after an almost 30G patch, so it'll be interesting to see what that does.

Back