Fallout 4

And all these cards are backwards compatible on the bus right? Meaning it'll work on this board?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621

Slot is fully compatible. But the BIOS might not be. We switched from legacy BIOS to UEFI when Sandy Bridge was released. For a few years video cards kept on shipping with legacy BIOS, and new UEFI motherboards provided legacy support for the old BIOS. But with the 900 series it only supports UEFI only by default, so you need a switching BIOS card. And unfortunately they're not very well advertised!

EDIT: you board does not support UEFI. And there are only a smattering of cards confirmed to have legacy BIOS support, according to this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2755310/dual-uefi-legacy-bios-video-cards.html

There may be more, but it's hard to tell.

You could always go with a used GTX 670. The 600 series is the last set of models I'm sure had legacy BIOS support, but does use a bit more power.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007Z3HZIA/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...282661&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+670&condition=used

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There's a toggle on the first page of the graphics settings. It's in the launcher. Alternatively, you can use software like Borderless-Gaming to do the same thing with any game.

I'm trying for 1920x1200 in this mode. Is it even possible? I've tried a bunch of stuff. I'm currently reinstalling the game from scratch.

Rig is in sig. Older AMD 6950 2GB card.

It's funny how in the beginning, you feel like loot isn't scarce..... ( Shortage on ammo in this game? Ha!)

and then you realize, stuff doesn't spawn again(alteast that I'm aware of) and you have to double down and revisit the same locations for the scraps youve hopefully left behind.
lmfao
Good going Bethesda. My bad!

Slot is fully compatible. But the BIOS might not be. We switched from legacy BIOS to UEFI when Sandy Bridge was released. For a few years video cards kept on shipping with legacy BIOS, and new UEFI motherboards provided legacy support for the old BIOS. But with the 900 series it only supports UEFI only by default, so you need a switching BIOS card. And unfortunately they're not very well advertised!

I'll have to do some research later when I get home. I think you may not have UEFI support on your motherboard. And there are only a smattering of cards confirmed to have legacy BIOS support, according to this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2755310/dual-uefi-legacy-bios-video-cards.html

You could always go with a used GTX 670. The 600 series is the last set of models I'm sure had legacy BIOS support, but does use a bit more power.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007Z3HZIA/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Interesting. I'm on an old Sabertooth X58 board, legacy BIOS, and my GTX 970 was plug 'n play. Glad I didn't have any issues, because I was completely unaware of this issue.

I'm trying for 1920x1200 in this mode. Is it even possible? I've tried a bunch of stuff. I'm currently reinstalling the game from scratch.

Rig is in sig. Older AMD 6950 2GB card.

I dunno. If that's your native resolution, I'd assume so. Normal old 720p, 1080p, and 4K definitely can. If the game's launcher won't let you, I'd try Borderless Gaming. It's a tiny program and works great for games without a borderless window mode.

anyone having issues using the phone app? I can't get it to connect to the game at all using PC version + Windows Phone

firewall is off, both devices are on the same network just one is wire and phone is not. Just always says not found.

I got it working on my iPhone but it would keep losing connection for some reason.
wish the app looked sharper, they make it look as though you have a low res crt tube screen.
There should be a toggle for sharp image and pip boy look.
I wonder if the app works on the iPad. gonna try it on my 7" G Tab.

Interesting. I'm on an old Sabertooth X58 board, legacy BIOS, and my GTX 970 was plug 'n play. Glad I didn't have any issues, because I was completely unaware of this issue.

I'm sure this is not as much of a problem as Google search makes it out to be, but it is something you should be aware of.

I mean, if you have a Microcenter near you, buy and return cards until you find a winner...or you can also check the side of cards until you find one with a switch.

But there are many complaints about legacy BIOS compatibility issues with newer cards beginning with the GTX 750 Ti.

EDIT: after some more research, it looks like the high-end cards tend to have support for both BIOS types:

Several people reporting GTX 970 working ion 2010 motherboards, and some people having to turn off UEFI support on newer motherboards because the UEFI video card BIOS is broken:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-bios-after-installing-new-gtx-970/?offset=45

Zotac suggesting using legacy boot on GTX 980 model for same reason:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...incompatibility-eizo-ev2736-w-zotac-gtx-980-/

Last edited:
game seems way more buggy then any of the reviews I've read made it seem (Eurogamer made note of how buggy it is)...most players are reporting bugs of some kind...I have the game but will wait for at least 1 major patch

I've encountered a few flickering textures, the terminal/getting stuck bug, but not much else after about 8 hours of gameplay.

Not seeing any of the performance issues, jitteriness, etc. Very smooth gameplay. Just lucky?

I haven't tried forcing SLI through some of the suggested tweaks as it seems hit/miss and I'm more than fine with the performance thus far.

other than the not being able to bind controls to something that actually works for me and the pipboy app not working at all..

So far no crashes, no weirdness, no stuttering.

D4rkn3ss (i am he :p) is totally fucking happy with this game, plus no crashes so far but im expecting a few

Sigghhh... I bought the physical copy of this game due to my slow download speeds only to find out that you need to download 20GB from Steam.

How the hell do company's get away with this crap? I pay a premium for a physical copy only to find out that I have to download the game from Steam? Oh well. Back to Amazon it goes.

game seems way more buggy then any of the reviews I've read made it seem (Eurogamer made note of how buggy it is)...most players are reporting bugs of some kind...I have the game but will wait for at least 1 major patch

Or you could just try it for yourself rather than waiting for others to tell you what to think. Whole lot of special snowflakes with edge case configurations that seem to be doing most of the bitching. Like if you went by the complaints you'd think everyone has a 144Hz monitor.

"I CANT REMAP * THIS GAME IS TOTALLY BROKEN U SUCK BETHESDA"

Or you could just try it for yourself rather than waiting for others to tell you what to think. Whole lot of special snowflakes with edge case configurations that seem to be doing most of the bitching. Everyone else is just playing.

"I CANT REMAP * THIS GAME IS TOTALLY BROKEN U SUCK BETHESDA"

with you everything is always sunshine and rainbows with every game...complaints about bugs are just reddit trolls, complaints of any kind are just console kiddies...I think I trust people who are actually playing the game and reporting actual bugs (along with the few official reviews who mentioned it)...

with you everything is always sunshine and rainbows with every game...complaints about bugs are just reddit trolls, complaints of any kind are just console kiddies...I think I trust people who are actually playing the game and reporting actual bugs (along with the few official reviews who mentioned it)...

Right because I said any of that. :rolleyes: Get mad and straw man more.

The takeaway there was try it for yourself and make up your own mind, not that bugs don't exist.

anyone having issues using the phone app? I can't get it to connect to the game at all using PC version + Windows Phone

firewall is off, both devices are on the same network just one is wire and phone is not. Just always says not found.

I was having issues with my Lumia 735. It wouldn't connect either. I did this, I went to C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\My Games\Fallout4 and opened this file Fallout4Prefs.ini and looked for this entry, bPipboyCompanionEnabled=1. It should you be set to 1, if it is set to 0, it will not connect.

My initial issue was the Fallout4Prefs.ini was set to Read Only after using Falloyt4ConfigTool so even know I was turning on the option in Options, it wasn't writing to the file.

Good luck.

I'm sure this is not as much of a problem as Google search makes it out to be, but it is something you should be aware of.

I mean, if you have a Microcenter near you, buy and return cards until you find a winner...or you can also check the side of cards until you find one with a switch.

But there are many complaints about legacy BIOS compatibility issues with newer cards beginning with the GTX 750 Ti.

EDIT: after some more research, it looks like the high-end cards tend to have support for both BIOS types:

Several people reporting GTX 970 working ion 2010 motherboards, and some people having to turn off UEFI support on newer motherboards because the UEFI video card BIOS is broken:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-bios-after-installing-new-gtx-970/?offset=45

Zotac suggesting using legacy boot on GTX 980 model for same reason:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...incompatibility-eizo-ev2736-w-zotac-gtx-980-/

I just popped in my new 960 about two weeks ago.

Initially it wouldn't display anything and I started to panic.

Luckily, a quick CMOS battery swap solved the problem.... *shrugs

Sigghhh... I bought the physical copy of this game due to my slow download speeds only to find out that you need to download 20GB from Steam.

How the hell do company's get away with this crap? I pay a premium for a physical copy only to find out that I have to download the game from Steam? Oh well. Back to Amazon it goes.

HAHAHA!

I recently bought a Thrustmaster warthog hotas. (it's got enough metal to bludgeon someone to death and it would still be intact and functional)

Had to DOWNLOAD unprovided drivers :(

Any nvidia 770gtx (2gb vram) users here? I also have an i5 4690k and 16gb of system ram.

I seem to struggle to get anything over 30 fps consistently unless I have most settings on low. I think I need textures on medium and god rays off to get any decent performance.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I'm wondering if I have a problem with my system. I would have thought I could manage better performance than this. I'm guessing the vsync is what is causing me issues.

Because PIRACY IS KILLING OUR CHILDREN GHAHHGHARHG

other than the not being able to bind controls to something that actually works for me and the pipboy app not working at all..

So far no crashes, no weirdness, no stuttering.

I had to explicitly add the FO4 executable to ALLOW both INBOUND and OUTBOUND connections in the Windows firewall before the Pipboy app (Android) would work. Note that this requires 2 rules to be created, one for inbound, one for outbound.

Any nvidia 770gtx (2gb vram) users here? I also have an i5 4690k and 16gb of system ram.

I seem to struggle to get anything over 30 fps consistently unless I have most settings on low. I think I need textures on medium and god rays off to get any decent performance.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I'm wondering if I have a problem with my system. I would have thought I could manage better performance than this. I'm guessing the vsync is what is causing me issues.

Try some tweaks/vsync off.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137773

Vsync is causing lot of issues with stutters in this game (just like skyrim).

Best to turn it off and either play in borderless windowed or vsync through nvidia's control panel.

I have a 2GB GTX 960, 16GB ram. Can play 1080p Ultra with well over 30fps (drops below 60 often though). You should get similar or better performance.

I turned off mouse acceleration and vsync to make it smooth.

Also, you did install the gameday drivers they released, right?

I have a 2GB GTX 960, 16GB ram. Can play 1080p Ultra with well over 30fps (drops below 60 often though). You should get similar or better performance.

I found swallowing my pride and using the High preset instead of Ultra gives me a nice, steady 50-60 fps.

Yeah, I have the new drivers installed. I'm not quite sure what is up with my system. Maybe I have something loose inside? I built it a few months ago, but never really played any demanding games so haven't noticed any issues until now. I did have issues with audio static though.

I have seen the weapon switch bug its annoying. In terms of build I would not bother with vats. Once you get a silencer, then stealth becomes a viable path. You can do tons of damage with all the different modifiers.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who plays with vats because I enjoy it...

better criticals
Grim reaper's sprint
Mysterious stranger
critical banker
four leaf clover
Gun fu
etc.

All of these are dependent on using Vats.

EDIT: you board does not support UEFI. And there are only a smattering of cards confirmed to have legacy BIOS support, according to this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...282661&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+670&condition=used

Seriously, huge thanks for the helpful post. I use to know all this shit, but I haven't kept up with this stuff in years because when I look I want to buy, like right now.

Maybe I'll buy FO4 and see if I can at least make it playable on what I have or just wait. =\

Well, this is strange. I restarted my computer and after it booted into windows, I went into task manager and disabled all nvidia services. I then started Fallout 4, reset video settings and set god rays to low and shadow distance to medium. Left everything else to my default setting.

Seems to be running much better now. I'm getting close to 60 fps. Huh.

With the amount of bitching PC gamers do, I am surprised anyone wants to release a game on PC anymore. Fallout 4 was always supposed to have bugs but damn those can be fixed by using Google.com effectively.

Seriously, huge thanks for the helpful post. I use to know all this shit, but I haven't kept up with this stuff in years because when I look I want to buy, like right now.

Maybe I'll buy FO4 and see if I can at least make it playable on what I have or just wait. =\

And read my later post afer that one. There seem to be a lot more cards that support legacy BIOS than I was lead to believe by all the whining on google search results. And our own horrorshow got the Asus GTX 960 STRIX working on his P55 motherboard, so we know that one's safe as well!

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041966154&postcount=2339

As long as you buy from a place with a liberal return policy like Microcenter or Amazon, I can't see you having an issue.

Anyone that has 4-6+ settlements think that one is way cooler/better than any of the others? Just got my third (drive in) and thinking of making it my main base but if there's a really great one coming up shortly, I'll hold off.

15 hours in, not a single CTD. Never had a terminal bug out. At most I've had one of the weapon disappearing bug which required a quicksave and quickload and MAYBE one or two cases of enemies warping. Literally no other bugs/problems. Framerate is solid with an OG Titan @ 2560x1600 on Ultra.

Get used to it, physical media is nearly dead. No one wants to go to the trouble and expense of making 5 DVDs and/or making blu ray releases and hoping that enough people have BD drives (which many still don't, the adoption rate for PC BD drives is terrible precisely because of things like Steam).

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who plays with vats because I enjoy it...

better criticals
Grim reaper's sprint
Mysterious stranger
critical banker
four leaf clover
Gun fu
etc.

All of these are dependent on using Vats.

I love VATS but my agility is still 1 so not super useful yet. Once I skill up for all the settlement/crafting shit I want, and lockpicking/etc shit I need, VATS related stuff will be next.

I love using VATS, esp to see a nice, slow motion replay of a head or body part turning into strawberry jam.

Much fun. :D

Of course, a well placed sniper shot from range is just as pretty. :p

Anyone that has 4-6+ settlements think that one is way cooler/better than any of the others? Just got my third (drive in) and thinking of making it my main base but if there's a really great one coming up shortly, I'll hold off.

Did you do the minuteman missions yet? Without spoiling anything, the area invovled in the Old Guns mission is the neatest I've seen.

Anyone know why I can't wear this Super Mutant armor?
It's the best gear I've seen, and can't wear it. Wtf!

Back