Fallout 4

System in sig with a 2560x1440 monitor now.

Why does this game feel so "stuttery"?
With some settings on high/med and vsync on, my FPS basically stays pegged at 60 with some occasional dips to 45-55.
In spite of these numbers, the whole game just feels like a laggy piece of shit. It's a little better with the SLI fix, but these shit graphics do not warrant such performance. This game looks like ~2010 era. Fuckin' lazy ass devs again...honestly if this was not a Bethesda game it would be getting trashed.

Try Windowed Fullscreen. Was night and day better for me. Someone else posted a video comparing the fullscreen and windowed on his setup. His looked just like mine.

Try Windowed Fullscreen. Was night and day better for me. Someone else posted a video comparing the fullscreen and windowed on his setup. His looked just like mine.

ah I forgot about that, I remember that also making a huge difference in Skyrim. Thanks!

What's up with the save system? Apparently the auto saves delete themselves, but I have a save all the way back from the beginning of the game that was definitely an auto save and is still there.

Just picked this up last night... 1st time FO player. Always been a Call of Duty player... Looks like BO3 is on hold as FO4 will have my attention.

ah I forgot about that, I remember that also making a huge difference in Skyrim. Thanks!

This because Windowed Fullscreen breaks SLI/Crossfire and forces single GPU. Since the current SLI "fix" people are using isn't optimized, it's causing nasty micro-stutter as the 2+ GPUs aren't properly in sync. Going back to one card gives you a smoother, better over-all experience. And since it's effective a 3+ year old game thanks to the engine, a single high end card tends to be enough.

This because Windowed Fullscreen breaks SLI/Crossfire and forces single GPU. Since the current SLI "fix" people are using isn't optimized, it's causing nasty micro-stutter as the 2+ GPUs aren't properly in sync. Going back to one card gives you a smoother, better over-all experience. And since it's effective a 3+ year old game thanks to the engine, a single high end card tends to be enough.

Running sli 670s with sli mode force alternate 2 enabled in nvidia control panel (no nv inspector or 3rd party stuff) and without adaptative vsync they both run at above 90% with no stuttering. Only problem im seeing is that even when framerate is capped at 60 and im looking into a wall they both run higher than they should (compared to witcher 3)

With some settings on high/med and vsync on, my FPS basically stays pegged at 60 with some occasional dips to 45-55.
In spite of these numbers, the whole game just feels like a laggy piece of shit. It's a little better with the SLI fix, but these shit graphics do not warrant such performance. This game looks like ~2010 era. Fuckin' lazy ass devs again...honestly if this was not a Bethesda game it would be getting trashed.

Did you try turning off mouse acceleration? It makes the game response feel delayed and sluggish.

I also turned off Vsync because of occasional drops below 60, game plays smooth as silk now.

1080p, GTX 960 OC, Ultra.

Running sli 670s with sli mode force alternate 2 enabled in nvidia control panel (no nv inspector or 3rd party stuff) and without adaptative vsync they both run at above 90% with no stuttering. Only problem im seeing is that even when framerate is capped at 60 and im looking into a wall they both run higher than they should (compared to witcher 3)

Odd. Maybe it's an AMD thing that multi-GPU doesn't work outside of fullscreen these days? I went from 8800GTX Tri-SLI (yeah, I was a god among men back then) to ATI/AMD for many years, then just in the last couple weeks picked up the dual 980Tis. Sorry for the misinformation? Good to know.

Yeah, I don't know anything about multi-GPU (I avoid 'em for reasons like this), but windowed fullscreen was night and day smoother for me in this game.
I've noticed weird trends with games and that mode. For a while I had to use it with nearly everything to avoid stutter. Then there was a period when the exact opposite was true and I had to use fullscreen, like with GTA5, Arkham Knight, and Witcher 3. Fallout 4 is the first game in a while where windowed is smoother.
If I get stutter, that's almost always the first thing I toggle either way.

some may already know this, but holding the Tab key activates a flashlight-like feature on the pip boy. stumbled on this last night. also i found a sniper rifle. good times were had.

Last edited:

I had the same issue. Disabling the in-game V-sync and forcing it on via drivers fixed it for me.

I'm 13 hours in, and probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the Corvega factory. I'm level 7, I think.

I'm going to make a trip back to Sanctuary to see if I can upgrade my weapons a little (my upgraded 10mm pistol is killer, but I'm always low on ammo for it, so going to try and beef up one of the 40 pipe rifles I have).

And if I can't finish out looting everything in Corvega by loading up myself and Codsworth without a second trip back to sanctuary, I'll probably hack my carry weight. I think the people that hacked all their stats to 10 immediately are idiots, but I don't wanna spend the time going back and forth 4 times to every big POI just because I'm a hoarder and totally into the crafting.

What level did you guys do Corvega at? Did anyone use the power armor for it?

I'm running 980ti SLI at 1440p max settings (except god rays on low) without any tweaks and it runs fine without any stuttering. Now I know it's not using the 2nd card but I'm not running into any issues like others are describing.

Odd. Maybe it's an AMD thing that multi-GPU doesn't work outside of fullscreen these days? I went from 8800GTX Tri-SLI (yeah, I was a god among men back then) to ATI/AMD for many years, then just in the last couple weeks picked up the dual 980Tis. Sorry for the misinformation? Good to know.

For my SLI setup, Fullscreen actually is smoother than Windowed.
With mouse acceleration off and vsync disabled in-game but forced via drivers, the game is much more playable now. Also, the game looks and runs much better in foggy/rainy weather for me, I seem to recall the same thing in Skyrim. Something about the default lighting just makes everything appear "flat" when the weather is sunny.

I can't rebind keys without running into trouble. Changing 'E' to Move Forward introduces issues, workshop is weird. I feel forced to either revert to default keys or use a controller. Maybe this is finally the moment where I give in and use WASD, retrain my brain and fingers.

I had those same problems in Skyrim. Why can't they fix that in 4 years and put in proper key mapping control? I honestly am just disappointed, I really enjoy these Bethesda games overall and as I looked forward to FO4 my biggest hope was seeing them fix key mappings and add 144hz support. Yet here I am setting my monitor to 60hz just so I can use terminals, and playing a melee character since I switched to a controller.

FYI

there's a spot in Concord where you can go underground. there's a TON of loot down there. stimpacks, radaways, weapons, lots of stuff

I'm 13 hours in, and probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the Corvega factory. I'm level 7, I think.

I'm going to make a trip back to Sanctuary to see if I can upgrade my weapons a little (my upgraded 10mm pistol is killer, but I'm always low on ammo for it, so going to try and beef up one of the 40 pipe rifles I have).

And if I can't finish out looting everything in Corvega by loading up myself and Codsworth without a second trip back to sanctuary, I'll probably hack my carry weight. I think the people that hacked all their stats to 10 immediately are idiots, but I don't wanna spend the time going back and forth 4 times to every big POI just because I'm a hoarder and totally into the crafting.

I just finished that quest. I think I was level 6 or 7. Playing on hard, I died once or twice but I just went through it methodically, wasn't that hard. Didn't use power suit. I have an upgraded 10mm pistol too, agree it's nice but the ammo is hard to come by so far.

You might want to try switching to decaf

the pipe weapons are pretty good. all the parts are interchangeable between the rifles & guns, I think changing the stock changes the type, but in terms of perks you probably don't want to change the type. Seems if you explore the unexpected you can get better loot drops, assuming you survive

switched to using a PS4 controller far more enjoying easy then using Esc. and Tab then e to attack just annoying....
plus I can play farther away from the screen...

Anyone playing this on a laptop with a dedicated Nvidia and integrated intel GPU?

For some reason when fallout4.exe or fallout4launcher is started, the laptop does not switch over to the dedicated graphics. I already set it up both manually in the nvidia control panel to use the dedicated gpu. Tried to right click either exe and tell it to run on the dedicated GPU. Tried opening something else to trigger the dedicated GPU and then starting fallout4.exe. Nothing gets this game to run on the dedicated card. I even updated to the latest intel and nvidia drivers.

Fallout 3, TF2 hell even Adobe Premier trigger the dedicated GPU but Fallout 4 doesnt.

Anyone else have this issue?

No, running a Gigabyte P35X with the latest gameready drivers - smooth as butter maxed out on low AA.. Although some areas bog it down for no apparent reason... Like Speakeasy =/.

Game is fun but ran into some texture weirdness while playing:

FD119D64BF323EC9DF1CF1D8387F5FEBC24BE99C

B586AED0745C43C01212B9B28EEA2D9D599C3384

I did it at level 9 I did a stealth run used the protectron to kill them sniped most from a distance with either my laser musket or heavily modded 10mm pistol.

this game has some flaws with weapons/pip boy disappearing. swapping weapons eventually fixed the weapons.... save/load fixed the pipboy. as for the light function... damn, was looking everywhere for that, to turn on a miners helmet. guess that is no longer important.

Power armor (as long as you have a helmet) has a light on it as well.

However if you are in power armor with no helmet on you will not have any light (And can't use the pip boy light).

Also if you didn't know, you can change the pip boy/hud color in the options menu.

I changed mine from the default green to a more pleasant light blue color, lot easier on the eyes then the super bright green.

An orange'ish color works best for the flashlight, makes it work like a more natural light rather then the glowy green.

How long does Power Armor last I won't use it unless I have to I found it thanks to a video on youtube. I figured it would be good for Higher level enemies.
How the heck do you unequip the Power Armor? I reverted my save just before finding it.

Is there a way to craft a weapon to do more damage? Or is is mostly cosmetic?

I modded the 10mm pistol to do more damage, just look at the list of options and their effects.

You can also add more accuracy, or make it fully-auto (with less damage per shot and less accuracy).

How long does Power Armor last I won't use it unless I have to I found it thanks to a video on youtube. I figured it would be good for Higher level enemies.
How the heck do you unequip the Power Armor? I reverted my save just before finding it.

It uses a battery system (you find more power cores as you explore).

You can store power armor in power armor racks (there's one in Sanctuary, at Red rocket gas station, and other places).

You will find more then one suit, and you can upgrade power armor/customize it.

Also to get out you simply press (and hold) the e button on pc, on consoles it'd be whatever button is used to open things.

Hold TAB for your "flashlight". I found this out when I encountered an unnaturally dark room that even had an overhead light, which I think ended up being a bug.

Hold 'E'.

i find it funny that they think side mount mags are faster then pistol grip bags when reloading...its not (irl).

Goes dead super fast but your a god in it like you can take on a army but after a big fight its about dead. if you don't ues ap or vats it lasts a lot longer if you ues vats it will go dead in 1 fight

I played a couple hours last night and, although I didn't get too far out of town, it ran very well. I'm using a Galax GTX 970 and a 1440p monitor; everything is ultra except for shadows at high, AA=FXAA, godrays=low. The monitor is set to 144Hz, so the Steam overlay said it was rendering well over 60 frames into the hundreds, but it didn't feel smooth like >100FPS feels, it was also pegging my GPU usage. Since there seemed to be no benefit to having the game run over 60FPS, I capped the frame rate at 58FPS with NVIDIA Inspector, this reduced GPU usage probably up to 20% on average. Even at 60FPS, the game feels snappy enough. I haven't yet seen if that affords me more room for better shadows or AA, shadows always seems to be a heavy hitter, so I'll probably bump the AA; even at 2560×1440, the game needs AA.

I've been happy so far, but that's only 2 hours of gameplay. I'm going to spend tonight building up my town.

Back