Fallout 4

is hacker perk needed if you have high lockpicking? seems redundent and lockpicking seems superior

I was wondering that last night when I reached a door that could be opened by either hacking a terminal or picking a lock. I'll choose lock picking every time. I assume there will be some scenarios where it's one or the other, so you'll want to be proficient in both. Just an assumption though.

I went ahead and saved at my house after grabbing the bonus SPECIAL point from the Aren't you SPECIAL book in your house ... I'm pretty busy for the rest of the week so I may stop here until my guide comes in Thursday or there is more info on the detailed effects of the SPECIAL stats ... right now I went with S3, P4, E4 (after the SPECIAL book), C4, I8, A2, L4 ... I don't want to go too far in case I need to change the stats

The game seems to be running okay on my old system (E8400 with newer GTX 970 card) at 1920x1200 ... probably will be able to spend more quality time with it on Friday and the weekend

I went ahead and saved at my house after grabbing the bonus SPECIAL point from the Aren't you SPECIAL book in your house ... I'm pretty busy for the rest of the week so I may stop here until my guide comes in Thursday or there is more info on the detailed effects of the SPECIAL stats ... right now I went with S3, P4, E4 (after the SPECIAL book), C4, I8, A2, L4 ... I don't want to go too far in case I need to change the stats

The game seems to be running okay on my old system (E8400 with newer GTX 970 card) at 1920x1200 ... probably will be able to spend more quality time with it on Friday and the weekend

Yeah, after reading that the interactions and physics are basically the same as Skyrim, it does not surprise me that the engine is still single-threaded.

I went for the eye candy approach:

char_zpswuxcigw6.png

Yes, got the best armor in the entire game! (well maybe not best but certainly the best visually).

WliMR0i.jpg

Now to just find a leg brace and some left arm armor.

I really really wish this game showed the weapons on your character model.

Does anyone know does the game use level-scaling for items you find? I would really like to know this, because I know where a special weapon is but I'm afraid of getting it early and having it be scaled down and not as useful later on.

jesus, the game gets harder fast. just found my second power armor after 9 hrs of play in the brootherhood storyline and every fight is just a challenge. really dig it.

E8400 is dual core but the game might still be single threaded

Skyrim most certainly was single major thread game. It only made full use of a second core if you turned on max shadows,

Here's a discussion on Skyrim using the CPU to hack ultra shadows into it's DX9 engine:

http://forums.techarena.in/video-games/1441011.htm

And here is an Ultra CPU scaling test:

http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance/page7.html

The only performance improvement between 2 and 6 core Phenom II at the exact same clock speed is 10%. So the rest of the threads are pretty much a snooze fest.

Last edited:
for me the game defaulted at 144hz. did it default to high fps for anyone else?

the setting that's causing my game to default to 144hz is: nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > global settings > preferred refresh rate
i have this set to "Highest available" and setting it to "Application-controlled" locks me in at 60fps. leaving at Highest available until i hear of any game breaking ramifications.

To show off your man boobs job? :p

Can someone tell me why I'm dressed like this.

I can say right now the dog is a friggin' idiot. Constantly getting under feet, won't stay still for one second unless you tell him to and he runs off to find worthless crap.

Anyone playing a melee character on Survival mode? I kind of want to make one but it's already pretty damn hard with a ranged character.

Whelp I encountered my first bug.

If you are ANYWHERE near the "Robotics disposal lab" do NOT save or load your game near it, it can "break" something that's there if you do.

edit 2 - Holy shit, I encountered yet ANOTHER bug at the same place with the same item...

Posting it in spoilers incase anyone else encounters it and how you can fix it:

If you activate the prototype mkiv robot and issue it a defend command and it does not move you can fix this by bringing up the console with the tilde key and then clicking on the robot and typing disable (you should see the robot disappear) then type enable, this will reload it basically and now it should be moving to the location you sent it.

the setting that's causing my game to default to 144hz is: nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > global settings > preferred refresh rate
i have this set to "Highest available" and setting it to "Application-controlled" locks me in at 60fps. leaving at Highest available until i hear of any game breaking ramifications.

I wouldn't recommend having it that high, because:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EHjFkVw-s

It breaks the "speed" of the game, I'm not sure if there's a fix for that or what but yeah, it sucks that the speed of the game messes up at 100+ refresh.

Last edited:
Got a sniper rifle and now I see the 21:9 glitch, it squeezes the 21:9 overlay down to 16:9.
fallout4-sniper-glitch.jpg

And she has panties on,
fallout4-upskirt1.jpg

fallout4-upskirt2.jpg

And she is a whore, lol
fallout4-naughty1.jpg

fallout4-naughty2.jpg

CURRENT PLAYERS PEAK TODAY GAME

442,125 765,504 Dota 2
245,795 445,546 Fallout 4
154,557 585,510 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
35,523 61,359 Team Fortress 2
21,457 41,655 Grand Theft Auto V
18,683 34,601 Sid Meier's Civilization V
17,091 41,122 ARK: Survival Evolved
15,543 26,133 Clicker Heroes
13,047 43,019 Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Neat to finally see a game to take Counterstrike out

I'm playing on hard mode, got power armor early, as well as minigun. And was like, WTF, these raiders are a joke and this is so OP.
Then Deathclaw came out of nowhere. It was huge, and it 2 shot me. Took me about 10 loads before I managed to kill it.
The game sure is tough. But then again, I'm playing a feeble character with high intelligence and charisma, on hard mode.

my biggest issue is the over dependence on adhesives and nuclear material...

i mean a sawed off shotgun barrel what possible reason would glue be needed for the barrel

Gluing the sights on maybe... and as for nuclear material that should be super abundant too considering how close to ground zero the vault was the entire area would be littered with nuclear material...

AND how they are handling radiation is terribad i mean sure realistic and i guess wonderfully accurate. But still game play wise it just pisses me off..

Anyone find a better full set than this?

I can't find anything remotely close.
mWh7mOtl.jpg

Last edited:
If I set a material to "search", where do I actually see it? I'm not seeing any indicators/markers on the world/local map.

If I set a material to "search", where do I actually see it? I'm not seeing any indicators/markers on the world/local map.

It's more of a reminder.

Example.
If you tag search "Aluminum", you'll see the magnifying glass next to aluminum when you are in the little loot menu box.(If aluminum is there)

It won't show you where it is, it's just specifically tagged when you loot stuff. This helps when you just quick loot stuff.

Beautiful game. I removed the FPS cap. Mostly run 50-80 FPS with the a drop to 40 here and there. 4790k @ 4.5ghz 16gb ram 290x 1080p

First time fallout player and I made it a little past the deathclaw. So far I'm having a blast for not having any idea about the FO series. Still learning how to do simple things but nothing a quick youtube video or a little searching for fixes. No bugs yet but I'm sure I'll run into them soon enough.

It's been a positive experience for me so far, about 2 hours in.

Beautiful game. I removed the FPS cap. Mostly run 50-80 FPS with the a drop to 40 here and there. 4790k @ 4.5ghz 16gb ram 290x 1080p

First time fallout player and I made it a little past the deathclaw. So far I'm having a blast for not having any idea about the FO series. Still learning how to do simple things but nothing a quick youtube video or a little searching for fixes. No bugs yet but I'm sure I'll run into them soon enough.

It's been a positive experience for me so far, about 2 hours in.

My first FO game as well, and it's pretty easy to pick up.

I suggest checking out all of the screens/sub menus in your PIP BOY, as they all serve a purpose. This helped me speed up the learning curve of it all.
(icon definitions, stats, quests, inventory tabs, perks etc..)

my goooood this game is so great!!!!! yes yes worthless post, but i felt like saying! :D

After playing 15 hours I realized Criticals only work in VATS, so I have a few wasted stat points. :/
Restarting a new character, I am using the console command to give myself 10,000 carry weight this time! lol

Also for anyone who plans to do stuff with multiple settlements (or just settlements in general, tbh) you will NEED the Local Leader C6 perk!

Removing the FPS cap made a couple bugs for me:

1. Voice and character animations out of sync
2. Lockpicking goes way to fast.

Waiting on a fix for these 2 but other than that, game seems to run smooth. Get around 70-80 fps @ 1440p maxed out settings with a 980 ti. FPS may drop to 60-70 during firefights but looks great.

Spent some time making the character look like me. I have to say this is the best face generator ever. Easy to use and yet powerful. I just left the vault. Didn't do much as I was playing using Steam Link which I got yesterday from Gamespot. Must say this will be a game for the couch.

Anyone playing this on a laptop with a dedicated Nvidia and integrated intel GPU?

For some reason when fallout4.exe or fallout4launcher is started, the laptop does not switch over to the dedicated graphics. I already set it up both manually in the nvidia control panel to use the dedicated gpu. Tried to right click either exe and tell it to run on the dedicated GPU. Tried opening something else to trigger the dedicated GPU and then starting fallout4.exe. Nothing gets this game to run on the dedicated card. I even updated to the latest intel and nvidia drivers.

Fallout 3, TF2 hell even Adobe Premier trigger the dedicated GPU but Fallout 4 doesnt.

Anyone else have this issue?

After playing 15 hours I realized Criticals only work in VATS, so I have a few wasted stat points. :/
Restarting a new character, I am using the console command to give myself 10,000 carry weight this time! lol

Also for anyone who plans to do stuff with multiple settlements (or just settlements in general, tbh) you will NEED the Local Leader C6 perk!

what is the command? I hate having a limited weight

Only got to play for a little bit last night. So far so good. It feels like Fallout.
At first I started panicking as the game was a stuttery mess. Luckily swapping to windowed fullscreen fixed that.

System in sig with a 2560x1440 monitor now.

Why does this game feel so "stuttery"?
With some settings on high/med and vsync on, my FPS basically stays pegged at 60 with some occasional dips to 45-55.
In spite of these numbers, the whole game just feels like a laggy piece of shit. It's a little better with the SLI fix, but these shit graphics do not warrant such performance. This game looks like ~2010 era. Fuckin' lazy ass devs again...honestly if this was not a Bethesda game it would be getting trashed.

Back