Fallout 4

My system runs this anywhere from 25-50 fps outdoors. Not bad for an old system at 2560 x 1440 but I think I may run it on my big screen at 1080p so that I can smooth it out a bit and play on the couch.

Not fully enjoying the Sanctuary clean up. Took up my last hour of gameplay trying to figure that out and I'm still not done.

the lenovo laptop in my sig gets 24fps outside 60 in some bits on low at 1080p i need to tweak my settings ill be happy with 20-30 just need to tweak the settings up while staying in that range.

nnng YAAhnn.. i just woke up, taking my first cofee in front of the pc... hey good morning people! :D

so today is the day, im even afraid of clicking in the fallot icon, goodbye shaving, goodbye baths.. hmm, theres a new nvidia driver, i'll start by downloading and installing that, then, goodbye real world.

see ya! :D

Read this from a user on PC Gamer:

come to find out that indeed uncapping your fps will break the game if you are running a 144hz Gsync monitor. You'll end up getting stuck at terminals.

I'll be keeping away from this. Not interested in supporting a sloppy PC release.

I'll be keeping away from this. Not interested in supporting a sloppy PC release.

You act like this is some game breaking bug. Just quicksave right before you hit the terminal. This happened to me as well. Not a huge deal, but nothing that won't stop you from playing.

Anyway, I've never played the previous Fallout games, but I wanted to play this and so far I think it's awesome. Expectations weren't as high for me but so far so good. It's tough to keep up on this thread.

So thaaaaaaats why. Ffs. What a stupid thing to not fix. I guess I'll lock my shit to 60fps/60hz

You act like this is some game breaking bug. Just quicksave right before you hit the terminal. This happened to me as well. Not a huge deal, but nothing that won't stop you from playing.

Anyway, I've never played the previous Fallout games, but I wanted to play this and so far I think it's awesome. Expectations weren't as high for me but so far so good. It's tough to keep up on this thread.

How often do you need to use the terminals?

I have no idea. I just started, just got topside outside the vault. But at the beginning I think there were 3 terminals inside the vault. I got stuck at the Overseer's terminal. But after doing it again I did not get stuck. Seems to happen randomly, who knows, but nothing stopping me from playing.

So I played, just a little last night via some New Zealand VPN wizardry, just enough to leave the vault. To be honest, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because to me the graphics look much better than fo3. The landscape is not nearly as flat and barren as it was in fo3.

Additionally I was greatly surprised with how well my rig ran it. Granted I unplugged 2 of my 3 screens, but my 7970 was running it maxed. I briefly tried it in eyefinity, after an ini edit (this is the third Bethesda game that I have had to do this too ... Come on get your shit together) and it was nearly playable at high settings. I do have a crossfire setup ... So as is typical it's probably not working, so maybe when AMD gets around to fixing crossfire maybe I can run the game in eyefinity.

I do have a crossfire setup ... So as is typical it's probably not working, so maybe when AMD gets around to fixing crossfire maybe I can run the game in eyefinity.

Yeah, multi-GPU isn't working for AMD or Nvidia yet, though I doubt it'll be long as high profile as this game is.

Yeah they over stated min requirements a bit they could have used skyrims pc requirements... and I played most of skyrim on a amd e-350 sure only 9 fps but with a controller it was not so bad to play...load times were deadly though...

my gooooood!!! i cannot pass the character creation!!! it is always like this, it usually takes me half to one hour to do it in a way that im satisfied!

I've been playing the last 8 hours(PS4) and although I am rather enjoying the game, I've noticed the whole save system is near broken.

My last two quicksaves, I died instantly when loaded up.

As well, there are frequent bugs with the building ui. Items will stick as the chosen option and can't be placed down at times.
Other random bugs are when I'm running and the controller doesn't respond when I look around at times.

NATS is all bugged up and is utterly useless up close until it is fixed completely.
(Too slow and the camera angles are kind of off.)

The rest has been pretty smoothe.
Loving it so far though.

3rd person isn't as precise for aiming as first person, but I'll get used to it, as both views serve a purpose.

Also, there is no brightness adjustment in game for the PS4. Kind of disappointing.

Last edited:
Is lockpicking broken? I hear the pick sounds but don't see the lock or tools.

I guess that I've been lucky. It's running smooth as silk for me as I haven't encountered any of these bugs.

The opening of the game is awesome where you run to the Vault looks awesome on my new ROG Swift

I just got to the point where you start the whole building thing. If I wanted to play the goddamn Sims I wouldn't have loaded Fallout. Is there any way to semi-automate all this stuff?

Is lockpicking broken? I hear the pick sounds but don't see the lock or tools.

Found a fix...

Invisible Lockpicking Bug
If you are having the invisible lockpicking bug the solution is quite simple, open Fallout4Prefs.ini in your documents (C:\Users\[name]\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\) and under [Display] change:

iSize W=XXXX
iSize H=YYYY
to
iSize W=XXXX-1
iSize H=YYYY-1

For example:
iSize W=1920
iSize H=1080
would be changed to
iSize W=1919
iSize H= 1079

Next do the some for the second Fallout4Prefs.ini located in wherever you insalled steam then steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout 4.

I just got to the point where you start the whole building thing. If I wanted to play the goddamn Sims I wouldn't have loaded Fallout. Is there any way to semi-automate all this stuff?

I think it is supposed to be optional except for one quest that requires crafting an object ... if you don't want to support the settlements just ignore them and they should die out

Game auto setup to "ultra" graphics on my system. Seems very, very smooth.

Game runs great for me at 4k (on ULTRA, all AA setting turned off, no idea what my fps is but I haven't noticed slowdowns), only played an hour or so though since I had to work this morning. Feels and plays a lot like Fallout New Vegas but obviously with many improvements. Have already seen a bit of the base building mechanics and it looks pretty cool.

Now if they just got crossfire working!!!

Last edited:
Found a fix...

Invisible Lockpicking Bug
If you are having the invisible lockpicking bug the solution is quite simple, open Fallout4Prefs.ini in your documents (C:\Users\[name]\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\) and under [Display] change:

iSize W=XXXX
iSize H=YYYY
to
iSize W=XXXX-1
iSize H=YYYY-1

For example:
iSize W=1920
iSize H=1080
would be changed to
iSize W=1919
iSize H= 1079

Next do the some for the second Fallout4Prefs.ini located in wherever you insalled steam then steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout 4.

Where did you find this? I tried that for the pref file in mydocs and it made the game crash on start. The file in steamapps was set to 720p. My monitor is 1600x1200

I am amazed there wasn't a a huge day one patch awaiting us.

From Bethesda? Bahahaha!

We'll be waiting weeks for that first patch that will fix 2-3 problems and create at least a half a dozen new ones. If it holds true to form this game won't be ready until version 1.06 at least.

In other words like someone wrote pages ago in this thread: "Bethesda...Bethesda never changes..."

That's what happens when you keep using an ancient game engine that needed to be retired after Oblivion.

It's deja vu right down to the same .ini tweaks and the whole deal.

At least we have this: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/

Wow, mouse sensitivity fix! Thank you internet.

How to make Fallout 4 PC not feel like shit
http://files.shanelenzen.com/fix-fallout-4.html

Great find. A lot of that carries right over from the previous games including that damned mouse acceleration. I wonder if we need to set our .inis to read only to make it all stick. I remember having to do that on the previous games.

Last edited:
Does TAA create the same kind of undesirable soft "vaseline smeared on screen" type effect that TXAA does? How's the performance hit?

Back