Fallout 4

For anyone who hasn't browsed the perk list yet, the game doesn't show you perks when you start a new character. It just shows your SPECIAL stats and "21 points".
Before you start the game it's a good idea to check over all the perks and decide which ones you want ahead of time. Otherwise you'll be blindly distributing SPECIAL points without knowing what you get.

https://i.imgur.com/Ipbu9Zh.png

thanks for this post TaintedSquirrel. after a quick look i've decided to start my character off like this:

Strength: 6
Perception: 4
Endurance: 6
Charisma: 3
Intelligence: 4
Agility: 2
Luck: 3

the goals for each are:
Strong Back
Locksmith
Rad Resistant
Loan Wanderer
Hacker
Commando
Bloody Mess

game is fun, quite challenging at hard difficulty. got swarmed by 5 ghouls and 3 strong mutants and wiped 3 or 4 times. not sure i know exactly what im doing :D

Surprisingly I'm running at 4k at ultra settings without any sort of noticeable issues at all... Hopefully this continues! I have a single 980ti non OCed.

Surprisingly I'm running at 4k at ultra settings without any sort of noticeable issues at all... Hopefully this continues! I have a single 980ti non OCed.

yeah, game set everything to ultra on my 960 as well and it runs smooth. no hickups, no framedrops. just great performance so far

it's taking longer to unpack than it took to download the 24GB game.

But the internet says its buggy. How can you have a positive experience. Post videos and ss's please to prove yourself.

/sarcasm
Which is why I wrote "based on my experience with Oblivion and Fallout 3."

Reading is fundamental.

If the game plays well for you, enjoy!

If like the other Fallout games you will have to edit the ini files to enable higher rez settings.

Started at 9 P.m woo hoo.

In the starting open area, looting a bunch of things, is there a place to scrap all the misc stuff?

Played a bit, 4K is doable with a single 980Ti, everything to full except godrays, which are on high as I've read many places that "ultra" godrays tank FPS big time. I'll turn them up once they get a proper SLI profile out for the game. I'm enjoying it, only just got out of the vault and wondered a bit, don't want to give any spoilers but it's nice over all. Don't think I like the new VATS, hopefully there are mods to switch it to the old style eventually. I am terrible at FPS so VATS is really nice for me, and I like to be able to relax and plan things out.

Don't really ever expect that support to EVER happen, either.

When asked about the lack of UldraWide Screen support for Skyrim they basically responded:

That's not cool... :mad: I hope someone releases a way to make it happen. I'm a major fan of gaming with ultrawide resolutions.

The guides on the steam forums have fixed most of the issues I was having.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551069501

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551373509

Turn off the in-game Vsync via the .ini and it completely removed the stutter. You can use Nvidia control panel to enable vsync -- i use gsync -- and it runs better. I also removed the engine based mouse acceleration and the game feels as good as csgo.

I would recommend capping the framerate (use Afterburners rivatuner) to 60 as most of the bugs seem to be tied to the framerate (the terminal bug, etc).

I have to say the game looks pretty good, I was a bit worried from all the negative buzz from the console version. It runs at a steady 60fps but I seem to be getting some microstutters which is kind of annoying. I have my 144hz monitor at 120hz, not sure what is causing it. I'm using the latest drivers.

it's taking longer to unpack than it took to download the 24GB game.

I warned about this a few days ago :) Decent internet connection = wait until after a game unlocks to download unencrypted files.

In other news, I really dig how they did the RAD/health dynamic, such that the higher your RAD level, the lower your max health is. Nice little touch where you can't just ignore RAD.

What's the rule on "transfering" items to boxes, shelves etc..?
Will the transferred items stay there forever?
So I can essentially have unlimited storage?

it took me about 9 minutes to unpack. i spent the last hour and half creating my character and exploring the vault, just now exited the vault. the game defaulted to 144hz for me with no ini tweaks which i didn't expect. i do have the problem of not being able to move after using computer terminals. since i just exited the vault i obviously haven't seen much of the game but so far it looks great and i'm pumped to delve into the world!

Well, is anybody being blown away by this? Is it a huge step up from FO3 like Skyrim was from Oblivion?

What's the rule on "transfering" items to boxes, shelves etc..?
Will the transferred items stay there forever?
So I can essentially have unlimited storage?

I don't know about world containers, but your Workshop acts as a bank and will hold everything, and it's contents are accessible game-wide.

Well, is anybody being blown away by this? Is it a huge step up from FO3 like Skyrim was from Oblivion?
It's FO3/NV with a new crafting/modding system (including materials) and a city-building simulator. Not much else has changed.

Fixed my microstuttering problem. I forced vsync off in the control panel and then limited my fps to 60 in Nvidia inspector.

Now if I can only figure out how to advance time.

I'm playing on survival and not sure what the difference is compared to hard. One potential thing is that eating food takes forever to heal you, I ate 3 mole rat meat and it seems to be taking around 120 seconds for the heal to complete. I'm pretty sure lower difficulties are much faster.

I'm playing on survival and not sure what the difference is compared to hard. One potential thing is that eating food takes forever to heal you, I ate 3 mole rat meat and it seems to be taking around 120 seconds for the heal to complete. I'm pretty sure lower difficulties are much faster.

Yep it is.

The difficulty also affects the chances of "legendary" enemies spawning, with higher difficulties having more of a chance.

I just wish this wasn't yet another gmae that equated "difficulty" with "sponges" by simply making enemies have a ton more health and hit harder, that's by far one of the cheapest ways to make something harder.

Instead have better AI, use cover more often, have more varied movesets, higher chance to do certain things, etc.

Well, I've played for about 3 hours now. Really really great game.

It's playing perfectly on my machine so far. I'm really impressed at how polished it feels.

I tried out the PIP Boy app on my Galaxy Note 5 and that was pretty darn cool. By far the most useful and cool companion app I've seen in a game. The only caveats I found with this were:
1. Have to enable it in the game as it's not on by default
2. Have to close the game and re-open
3. The Windows Firewall will be asking for permission but it's hidden by the game, so you have to alt tab out.

Once you do this, the PIP boy app works perfectly. It's really cool to be able to see the map as you play in real time.

Definitely can't hold a candle to The Witcher 3 when it comes to pure gaming joy. This game is kind of a mess in my opinion. I will still slog through the bugs, muddy graphics and enjoy it though. Bring on the graphical mods!

Back