Fallout 4

Every custom map is a texture replacer which doesn't impact your load order whatsoever. I'm using Color Map 4K with Magazines Bobbleheads and Armor Locations this time around since I already know where every item is and don't want to bring up the spreadsheet for reference.

I'm amazed they could even get some mods going at all on the consoles. Thanks AceGoober for that post on the previous page.

I did everything you said to the letter and matched your pictures as best I could.

I notice you're using a different map mod than I am. I don't know if that matters.

EDIT: Followed all instructions to the letter including on matching load order. Will test fire....

Just updated SOE incidentally.

========================

Looking good! :)

========================

Yes, you will need to make these edits in your Fallout4Custom.ini file:

[
quote]To get it in color you're going to need to navigate to Documents\My Games\Fallout4 and either edit your existing file or create a new file called Fallout4Custom.ini and it needs to have this:

[Pipboy]
bPipboyDisableFX=1

Now, if your map doesn't work at all - dude, have you done any texture or mesh replacer mods yet? - then you'll need to edit your Fallout4.ini and under [Archive] you'll want to add this line:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1[/quote]

I'm wondering if there is anything on the .ini end that has to be adjusted. I remember that 4K/8K map had directions to add a line of text to the .ini and when I'm not doing anything I leave the .inis to read only. I don't know if any of that matters.

========================

Updated ICONLIBS2 has been updated to version 4 and I highly recommend it as it adds a plethora of additional icons.

AceGoober:

I had to edit this post several times. Whenever you have time look all that over and tell me what you think. Thanks for all the help! :)

See: Fallout 4

========================

Edit: Beat to the punch by TaintedSquirrel

Patch 1.5.157 disabled achievements if mods were installed and active. Version 1.0.3 of the mod Achievements re-enables gaining achievements. I do not know if it is retro-active.

This is a F4SE plugin so you will need to have Fallout 4 Script Extender for it to work.

I received a good question over PM that I wanted to post about here in the thread and get more feedback on it than what I could provide.

Someone wrote and asked me this:

... You played it with all your mods enabled, yes? So that disabled achievements? I'm still trying to decide if I want to run vanilla for achievements for first playthrough, or just say fuck it because I dont care about achievements since I"m not 12 and on a console anymore, and just run with mods on first playthrough. Thoughts?

^^ What is the criteria that disables achievements because I have a mixed result on this myself. I typically don't proactively care about these... if I get them that cool and I keep on going...

I did unlock some achievements early on looking at the dates and I suspect that was before I started modding up.

Nexus Mod Manager says my first mod download for Fallout 4 was on Dec. 4, 2015 and I have achievements unlocking from when the game came out right on through to December 18 thereabouts so there is the first overlap.

Then there is a gap and then what Automatron came out I was certainly well modded by that point and I still unlocked all of these. Note the dates:

<snip>
^^ You can see how current the dates are.

All of that happened with me modded up to the nines like you have seen with my load orders for numerous pages in this thread so this merits further research. I'm not exactly sure what would disable achievements and what doesn't. Heck I've used the console plenty of times, too, with TCL to build certain things and so forth for virtually the entire time I've had the game.

Here is what's strange.

I did a pretty kick ass playthrough on Far Harbor and according to Steam I didn't unlock a damned thing for all of that. It says

Overall I have 60 percent unlocked achievements 41/68 so there is a discontinuity here and something changed and I'm not sure what that is. I've used Script Extender since it came out... I've used NMM since the first mods started to roll out...

So for people that are interested in achievements... what's the story here?

How did I unlock achievements on the main story and then even way more recently on Automatron but not on Far Harbor with roughly the same amount of mods going more or less?

Did they patch something? Was that it?

========================

For those who want a good crap your pants awesome moment that I've done in previous playthroughs, here is a spoiler:

If you haven't taken Outpost Zimonja as of yet then here is a good tip: get a personal jetpack mod, wear it and approach OZ from the opposite side of the bridge close by. Jetpack up to the top level of the bridge, stand at the railing on OZ side and fire a shot at anyone in OZ then move left or right along the railing avoiding fire from the Raiders.

What will happen is Boomer (the Fat Man carrying Raider) will start firing mini-nukes at you. The nukes won't hit the bridge but will fly roughly two feet above the railing at a gradual arc that puts them well past the bridge. It was awesome staring at the front of the nuke only to move aside and watch it fly by.

========================

Instructions status: I had hoped to get the instructions completed a lot earlier yet due to the unexpected arrival of relatives the youngsters have taken over my computer. Additionally, I've expanded the document scope to include weapons and armors. The coming week I have afternoons to myself so I'll get back on getting this completed as quickly as I can. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I actually have a new bug with my Supply Lines.
An existing Provisioner (who I previously assigned to a supply line) will randomly switch to a new settlement I acquire, leaving the previous supply line in-tact despite not being assigned to it.

So I end up with 2 supply lines, but one has no provisioner on it. So I can't remove the bugged supply line no matter what, it just stays permanently. The only ones that get bugged are supply lines I created myself, so it doesn't cause any problems as long as I am happy with my existing lines.

I believe this is caused by Settlement Management Software but I can't be sure... I should note, I have been assigning all of my supply lines by talking directly to the Settler NPC, not through the software.

like this
We need to get a group thing going here and ship Ace a case of his favorite drinks and some steaks or something. ;)

[Pipboy]
bPipboyDisableFX=1

Now, if your map doesn't work at all - dude, have you done any texture or mesh replacer mods yet? - then you'll need to edit your Fallout4.ini and under [Archive] you'll want to add this line:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

Yup, I've done all that and I have several textures and mesh replacer mods I've been using. :)

Looking good! :)

Woohoo! :)

Updated ICONLIBS2 has been updated to version 4 and I highly recommend it as it adds a plethora of additional icons.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm going to try out the map you are using. So far I like what I see. I have the 4K map and 2k on zoom out. I may mess around with that later but I really like what I see so far.

I notice Far Harbor's map hasn't gotten attention yet but I'm sure that's soon to come.

Last edited:
I uninstalled the old iconlibs then installed this one, I'm still seeing the old icons.
For example my 5.56mm Assault Rifle is showing up as a brown shotgun icon. Already checked the tag, it's showing " [5.56mm] ".

I went into the mod archive and manually replaced iconlibs2.swf and still the same.
Is there something we have to do in-game to reset our icon "cache" effectively?

edit: My armor pieces are also now showing both icons AND tag names.

Last edited:
like this
I uninstalled the old iconlibs then installed this one, I'm still seeing the old icons.
For example my 5.56mm Assault Rifle is showing up as a brown shotgun icon. Already checked the tag, it's showing " [5.56mm] ".

I went into the mod archive and manually replaced iconlibs2.swf and still the same.

I'll be your guinea pig. I just updated it and was lazy: I installed the new one and it prompted me to overwrite its predecessor... I said yes to allwatched it install, then uninstalled the old one and removed it. After this, I hit "reset archive invalidation" in NMM which is something I do out of habit when installing and uninstalling mods that goes back to my Oblivion days.

I'll fire it up right now and see what it looks like.

Looking around:

Conquest - Build New Settlements and Camping at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community Intruiging.

Rockin' Red Rocket at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community <- Beautiful job.

Basement Living - Bunker and Basement Player Homes (with standalone Workshops) at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community Could be fun to mess around with.

Yeah I don't think I'm seeing any new icons.

Here's the tagging issue I was having --> Picture (Notice each item is showing [ArmR], [ArmL], etc)
Reverting back to the previous IconLibs fixed it --> Picture

TaintedSquirrel Quick hop-on the computer while the youngsters are getting lunch. :D

Here is the way I recommend updating mods unless stated otherwise on the mod description page:

1. If you have already installed new version of ICONLIBS2 then disable and delete.
2. Disable then delete old version.
3. Install new version.

This is exactly the way I install mods unless the mod author releases a patch to overwrite the previous version of the mod instead of a full package.

edit: My armor pieces are also now showing both icons AND tag names.

It actually works REALLY well but it's quite laggy, each time you visit your 'custom' settlements it has to reload the Workbench supplies + supply lines. It takes like 30 seconds sometimes.

I'll keep an eye on it and wait for updates. Great concept, though.

Per that Icon update this is what I have. Is this what it's supposed to look like?:

I saw Ace's post. If I botched it I'll do exactly what he said. Heck, I'll do it anyways.

20160530135953_1.jpg 20160530140024_1.jpg

You're missing the new Deliverer icon. Try dropping the gun and picking it up again.

I just completely disabled and uninstalled IconLibs, installed the update from scratch -- same issue, no new icons and Armor text tags are showing up. I might try reinstalling ALL of the mods from scratch.

Any mod from Elianora is well done. She's a total expert on sprucing-up places. That said...

Really Red Rocket combined with only the floor textures from Red Rocket in Wood and Red Rockets Glare produces an awesome look.

Here are a couple of pics to show you what the combo looks like:

AceGoober_FO4_0097.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0095.jpg

I'll be your guinea pig. I just updated it and was lazy: I installed the new one and it prompted me to overwrite its predecessor... I said yes to allwatched it install, then uninstalled the old one and removed it. After this, I hit "reset archive invalidation" in NMM which is something I do out of habit when installing and uninstalling mods that goes back to my Oblivion days.

I'll fire it up right now and see what it looks like.

Looking around:

Conquest - Build New Settlements and Camping at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community Intruiging.

Rockin' Red Rocket at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community <- Beautiful job.

Basement Living - Bunker and Basement Player Homes (with standalone Workshops) at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community Could be fun to mess around with.

like this
Alright I just checked, I'm seeing some new icons with the update, but not others. My 10MM, .45, and Pipe icons are updating to the new set.
I'm missing the new melee icons and my 5.56mm icon shows the old one still:

Mg2InFw.png

Along with the tagging issue I mentioned already. So yeah it seems to be half working. I have a feeling installing everything from scratch would fix it.

like this
Are you running DEF_UI version 1.2.2? There are reports of people running into problems with that version.

You're missing the new Deliverer icon. Try dropping the gun and picking it up again.

I just completely disabled and uninstalled IconLibs, installed the update from scratch -- same issue, no new icons and Armor text tags are showing up. I might try reinstalling ALL of the mods from scratch.

like this
Alright I uninstalled and deleted all four mods, reinstalled from scratch using DEF_UI 1.2.1 and the same custom settings for VIS as before -- still, same issue. A lot of icons aren't updating and the tags are still showing up on armor pieces.
I reinstalled AGAIN using default VIS settings, and still the same bug.

I'm actually seeing some OLD IconLibs icons even though I installed the Update fresh!

So I'm just gonna roll back to the old iconlibs and try again when another update comes.

like this
Same issue here. I'm not going to uninstall everything. I have DEF 121, latest VIS, and this latest iconlibs and I guess I'll go back to the previous one as well.

I followed Ace's instructions to the letter and I even dropped several guns and picked them up again and this is what I still get:

20160530143436_1.jpg 20160530143451_1.jpg 20160530143500_1.jpg

Same issue here. I'm not going to uninstall everything. I have DEF 121, latest VIS, and this latest iconlibs and I guess I'll go back to the previous one as well.

I followed Ace's instructions to the letter and I even dropped several guns and picked them up again and this is what I still get:

View attachment 3466 View attachment 3467 View attachment 3468
I have one more idea to try so I'll give that a shot right now and post back.

edit: Ehh nope, no dice. Same result.

like this
Yeah all you have to do is uninstall the new iconlibs and then reinstall the old one.

Same result for me. I'm thinking there's something I never did right here because I've never had full color icons in front of all of my weapons, for example. You've seen my screens. Some of it worked but apparently not all of it.

I checked the TAGS file and a lot of them are not updated -- the mod is broken.

Example:
For the 5.56mm rifle (I mentioned earlier), the tag in the new update is w_rifle when it SHOULD BE w_ar556 for the new update! w_rifle is the OLD icon.

You can customize your own icons/tag names in the TAGS file quite easily, just croess-reference with the icon_index.pdf file which has a tag name and icon list for everything.
I will go ahead and update all of the icons myself and probably customize a few others. There are literally hundreds available.

It's as simple as editing a text file to make IDs match with the proper icons. Very easy.

like this
I checked the TAGS file and a lot of them are not updated -- the mod is broken.

Example:
For the 5.56mm rifle (I mentioned earlier), the tag in the new update is w_rifle when it SHOULD BE w_ar556 for the new update! w_rifle is the OLD icon.

You can customize your own icons/tag names in the TAGS file quite easily, just croess-reference with the icon_index.pdf file which has a tag name and icon list for everything.
I will go ahead and update all of the icons myself and probably customize a few others. There are literally hundreds available.

It's as simple as editing a text file to make IDs match with the proper icons. Very easy.

You're going to do this with 3.1 and not 4.0?

You're going to do this with 3.1 and not 4.0?
The tagging issue is this (Should be TRUE not FALSE)

<tag icon='arml' keyword='ArmL' hidetag='false'/>
<tag icon='armr' keyword='ArmR' hidetag='false'/>
<tag icon='chest' keyword='Chest' hidetag='false'/>
<tag icon='legl' keyword='LegL' hidetag='false'/>
<tag icon='legr' keyword='LegR' hidetag='false'/>

Ta-da
BlZIJf1.png

So yes it's very easy to clean up, the mod creator should update pretty soon once he catches the problems...

like this
I will stay on the old version for now as only the mod creator will know which tags are totally missing from the file.
I can fix a bunch of it but it's pointless since he will do a better job.

like this
Hate to be dumb: Where are those files located?
There are 3 files:

Data\Interface\iconlibs2.swf
Data\Interface\DEF_CONF\icon_index.pdf
Data\Interface\DEF_CONF\DEF_INV_TAGS.xml

If you open icon_index.pdf you will find a list of all the icons as well as their keywords (ID).
Then open the TAGS file in a text editor, and you will see a bunch of these (example):

<tag icon='w_rifle' keyword='5.56mm' hidetag='true'/>

You simply edit the ICON="" to match whatever icon you want from the pdf! Simple.
You will notice some of the weapon icons point to the OLD icons, which must be fixed. All of the NEW weapon icons are at the very bottom of the PDF.

Also you want to find everything that says hidetag='false' and change it to hidetag='true'

Again this can all be fixed within a few minutes BUT there are probably tags completely missing from the file, which the creator will have to add in.

like this
Time to get back on the Fallout hype, just started automatron and grabbed me a few mods, game is looking fantastic.

Last edited:
I think you have seen in this thread the kind of trouble you can get in to once you start digging into the mods.

Don't say we didn't warn ya. ;)

I think you have seen in this thread the kind of trouble you can get in to once you start digging into the mods.

Oh believe me, I destroyed Skyrim. Over 600 hours and probably more than half of it was spent taking screenshots and fixing mods. Surprisingly I have yet to encounter a CTD in FO4 with over 70 mods installed. I am fucking LOVING this Photorealistic Commonwealth with the Kodachrome filter.

That Resurrection mod looks incredible, I think I'll wait a bit on it before I pull the trigger though.

like this

Well at a certain point forward, the modding becomes the game. Actual game play grinds to a halt and you're just wrangling and fixing mods, swirling down the rabbit hole you go. Not everyone can handle it, definetely ruined Skyrim for me - it was gorgeous as hell but i didn't care about playing anymore. Thus I'm really resisting going down the mod hole for FO4 as long as possible.

like this
Well at a certain point forward, the modding becomes the game. Actual game play grinds to a halt and you're just wrangling and fixing mods, swirling down the rabbit hole you go. Not everyone can handle it, definetely ruined Skyrim for me - it was gorgeous as hell but i didn't care about playing anymore. Thus I'm really resisting going down the mod hole for FO4 as long as possible.

I know what you mean about that trap. Just pick cool stuff that you know will really make your experience better and have fun with it. :)

Currently, my modding has been mainly gameplay smoothness, gameplay performance and QoL improvements (however, I would consider LumaSharpen to be a QoL because I hate blurry textures, which TAA unfortunately induces).

I have also installed a couple of armor mods, but like NV, I don't go overboard with it. In NV I only installed a mod that allowed further upgrades to the Stealth suit from OWB which allowed a cloaking field, like the Chinese Stealth Armor from Operation Anchorage.

The only item mod I have installed is a full body suit styled in Institute colours (along with Pip-boy) and a personal jetpack, most of my other mods are minor texture enhancements, optimisations and bug fixes. I am going to look into Settlement fixes though.

Until, of course, I actually finish the damn game. I haven't even gotten near the point of no return.

Q-BZ
TaintedSquirrel

ICONLIBS2 mod isn't broken. One bit of reading on the mod description page:

UPDATE v3.0: Holy crap more icons!!! Added 103 new icons, mostly based on icons from the Fallout Companion App. The Icon Index has been updated with the new icons. I have not changed DEF_INV_TAGS.xml with this release, so if you want to use the new icons, you will have to update DEF_INV_TAGS.xml yourself. icon_index.pdf under Data/Interface/DEF_CONF contains the full list of icons with thier reference names to use in DEF_INV_TAGS.xml. Enjoy!!

I probably should have mentioned this little bit. :p

like this
I'm guessing somebody will post or already posted the update tags file. I might go through and do it myself since some of the old icons are just... wrong (shotgun icon on my Assault Rifle).
I wish there was an easier way to add tags to items that aren't tagged. Namely, I have a few dozen items added by mods that aren't tagged by VIS.

Of course I can re-name a lot of them at the workbench and use any tag I want, this doesn't help at all when looting corpses, containers, etc out in the wild.

like this
AceGoober said:
ICONLIBS2 mod isn't broken. One bit of reading on the mod description page:

I probably should have mentioned this little bit. :p

C'mon Ace! We count on you to be on the ball, son! ;)

Back