Fallout 4

I restarted the game on survival difficulty. This certainly makes things interesting. I'm at level 8 and so far I spent my time running away more than fighting. But the loot is terrible. I didn't find a half decent weapon yet. More unique items with survival difficulty my ass. So far the only nice weapons I saw were at vendors, that I couldn't buy yet as they cost thousands of caps.

The game even screwed with me. I wandered into a bunker, it seemed completely abandoned. But when I tried to come out it spawned a bunch of synths. Somehow miraculously I managed to kill 3 or 4 by separating them, then I had to make a run for the exit.

If it is the Boston mayoral shelter, be glad you didn't run into the deathclaw then. I did, and I had to run out while fighting/avoiding the deathclaw and the synths.

Has anyone tried to get the Freefall Legs?

On my previous and current characters I did the trash can trick to get up to the office where the legs are located. Both times the safe had other things in it but did not have the Freefall legs.

Did Bethesda remove the legs? Or is this just a glitch?

Edit: Found the issue and resolved.

Made a save while my character was still in the room. Backed-up Fallout 4 .INI files including plugins.txt, saves and default FalloutPrefs.ini. Verified game cache then copied the .INI, plugins.txt back to their original locations. Loaded the save and the legs were in the safe.

Last edited:
If it is the Boston mayoral shelter, be glad you didn't run into the deathclaw then. I did, and I had to run out while fighting/avoiding the deathclaw and the synths.

Yes I did, but I had no problems running away from the deathclaw, by the time it realized I was there I was back in the tubes with the fat man and all the ammo from his nest. The problems started there, because on the way in those tubes were empty, but on the way out it was filled with synths.

I never put much points in luck, as it seemed wasted to me. I thought luck only governed critical hits in vats, and how much ammo / caps I find randomly. But not the actual worth of loot from legendary enemies.

I haven't tried it on Survival yet but I think if I was to play a character on that level I would probably attempt to get to Vault 81 as quickly as possible and get that Overseer Guardian rifle as soon as possible. Find Diamond City too. Once you get that rifle and get it upgraded the mobs should be more easily dealt with. I think that's how I would do it anyway thinking just off the top of my head. That rifle is just crazy badass.

so now that i have multiple quests open with people asking me to join their cause...what happens when you choose one? Are you stuck with that one or can you cntinue quest lines of other groups as well?

so now that i have multiple quests open with people asking me to join their cause...what happens when you choose one? Are you stuck with that one or can you cntinue quest lines of other groups as well?

You can join multiple groups up until a certain point in the story (I haven't come across this quest yet, but apparently it's very obvious).

You can join multiple groups up until a certain point in the story (I haven't come across this quest yet, but apparently it's very obvious).

so as long as Idon't advance the main story line i should be ok?

I am pretty much staying away from the main line until I absolutely can't.

It is. There does come a point where at least one decision you make guarantees at least one group becoming your enemy. No way out. LOL, I did my best to walk the tightrope and it just ran out of gas.

For this initial playthrough I've decided to turn against the Institute.

so as long as Idon't advance the main story line i should be ok?

I am pretty much staying away from the main line until I absolutely can't.

No worries. Take your time. You won't miss this when the time comes.

Yes and no... Advancing to certain groups side quests a certain point locks out other factions. For example, being BFF with the RR before going to meet Father, will result in Father et al shunning you and preventing progress in that faction any further

Yes and no... Advancing to certain groups side quests a certain point locks out other factions. For example, being BFF with the RR before going to meet Father, will result in Father et al shunning you and preventing progress in that faction any further

That's just not true. The very reason I got into the institute was because I was BFF with the Railroad.
I could play the game where I was friends with the Brotherhood, the Institute, the Minuteman, and the Railroad. The funny thing was that when I went on a mission with either of them against the others everyone was shooting up everyone but noone shoot at me, because I was friends with all of them. I simply waited for them to finish the battle between themselves, and then picked up the loot :-D

It was with the railroads help that I could construct the teleportation device to get into the institute

Actually you can be friends with everyone until either the mission to acquire the berylium agitator from mass fusion. You can either go with the institute, and then you'll be permanently enemies with the brotherhood, or go with the brotherhood to get it then you'll be enemies with the institute. But the game will put up a huge warning in each case that you have to confirm.

or the other point where you become perma enemies with someone is if you help the minutemen defend the castle against the institute, so becomeing enemies with the institute.
Or you defend the railroad base against the brotherhood becoming enemies with the brotherhood.
And depending on what faction you ally yourself with in the end, the outcome will be like this:

Institute : They make you kill the railroad leaders, but you can still be friends with BS and Minutemen
Brotherhood : They make you kill the railroad leaders too, and then destroy the institute, you can remain on the good side of the minutemen
Minutemen : You have to destroy the institute, but both the Railroad and Brotherhood can remain your friend
Railroad : They make you wipe out the entire Brotherhood ship, which crashes onto the airport killing almost every Brotherhood member. Then wipe out the Institute. It's funny that they' actually have the most bloodthirsty ending

Last edited:
And by obvious a message appeared up on screen asking if I was sure I wanted to do this and that such and such would no longer be my friend. So it should be hard to accidentally side against someone you don't want to.

There is a guide that has some minor story spoilers that tells you what order to do faction quests in and how far to progress each faction to maximize the number of quests you can do until you hit the point of having to permanently choose sides. It's especially helpful since you can make a master save and branch off from there so you don't have to replay the entire game to see as many endings as possible.

I haven't tried it on Survival yet but I think if I was to play a character on that level I would probably attempt to get to Vault 81 as quickly as possible and get that Overseer Guardian rifle as soon as possible. Find Diamond City too. Once you get that rifle and get it upgraded the mobs should be more easily dealt with. I think that's how I would do it anyway thinking just off the top of my head. That rifle is just crazy badass.

Funny thing is that I already purchased the overseer's guardian. I'm now level 12, and even without the rifle now that I have a few weapons with 50+ DMG the game doesn't feel all that different from normal. I went back to the places where I had to run away with tails between my legs before and easily cleared them.

BTW anyone found the robot scarpyard on the northeast part of the map? There is a prototype sentry bot there, that you can activate, and the instructions say that it might malfunction and be very careful, but it does nothing. Is it supposed to do something? Or is there a quest hidden there that I don't see?

Yeah I found it and the same thing on my end nothing happens. I can talk to it and it says warning do not interfere with operations or something like that. Suppose you can attack it and then steal the fusion cores from it's wreckage.

Yeah I found it and the same thing on my end nothing happens. I can talk to it and it says warning do not interfere with operations or something like that. Suppose you can attack it and then steal the fusion cores from it's wreckage.

I searched google and there is nothing to it, apparently you can take control of it, if you have the robotics perk.

You can supposedly send it to different (specific) places and it will fight enemies for you. But overall it's pretty buggy and doesn't get to the places half the time.

Uhm, Im sorry, but I'm playing without fast travel, so it is important for me to know:
Can I enter glowing sea with rad-x and radprotective suit, or do I have to go all the map up, to my power armor?

you don't need power armor. you will still pick up some radiation but it is very manageable

Unless you play on survival where radiation meter fills up much faster. But it depends how long you intend to stay. Explore it fully, or just go to virgil and leave.

Uhm, Im sorry, but I'm playing without fast travel, so it is important for me to know:
Can I enter glowing sea with rad-x and radprotective suit, or do I have to go all the map up, to my power armor?

You can do it either way. I had a Hazmat suit so I took my sweet time. There is some interesting stuff in the Glowing Sea.

There is a guide that has some minor story spoilers that tells you what order to do faction quests in and how far to progress each faction to maximize the number of quests you can do until you hit the point of having to permanently choose sides. It's especially helpful since you can make a master save and branch off from there so you don't have to replay the entire game to see as many endings as possible.

Someone made a flow chart for progression and tells you when to make seperate saves so you can go down the line and complete most faction quests, and then reload saves later to go down different paths so you can see all possible outcomes without doing complete additional play throughs. I'll try to find it and link it.

Someone made a flow chart for progression and tells you when to make seperate saves so you can go down the line and complete most faction quests, and then reload saves later to go down different paths so you can see all possible outcomes without doing complete additional play throughs. I'll try to find it and link it.

That would help

I will never, ever, fucking ever equip a companion with a Fat Man ever again. I don't use Fat Mans so I gave the only one I had to Cait with sixteen mini-nukes. She fire that fucking thing when the Raider was six fucking feet from her. Besides the explosion, all I saw was my fucking body bouncing off the front of a building. :(

I will never, ever, fucking ever equip a companion with a Fat Man ever again. I don't use Fat Mans so I gave the only one I had to Cait with sixteen mini-nukes. She fire that fucking thing when the Raider was six fucking feet from her. Besides the explosion, all I saw was my fucking body bouncing off the front of a building. :(

Bet that raider got fucked up, though.

Yeah, I know. New character and I haven't taken Inspirational because I don't have enough points in Charisma as of yet. That's going to be remedied as soon as possible.

there is a perk where companions don't blow your ass up :)

On a positive note, just picked-up:

Deliverer from a vendor in Diamond City

Holy crap this weapon is awesome! Sold the 10mm with mods and a few other things to get it. It friggin' pawns Raiders when in sneak mode. Definitely a keeper. :)

I'd settle for a perk where grenades weren't as deadly. They're literally the only thing that ever kills me.

I'd settle for a perk where grenades weren't as deadly. They're literally the only thing that ever kills me.

Get the explosive mods for your "regular armor" or Power Armor, and then even on Survival, explosions of all sorts will be pretty much an afterthought.

Thx everyne for any piece of advice! I was busy at work, but now I can get back to F4 and I've decided to return for my PA. I want to explore it fully and on highest difficulty.

bb)

Had the same thing happen to me....except Cait looted a Fat Man and mini-nukes from a body.

They auto loot? I don't remember that happening but Irarely ever use companions.

That said, I did allow Cait or Piper to have one to see what would happen, and man did she use that quickly.

They auto loot? I don't remember that happening but Irarely ever use companions.

That said, I did allow Cait or Piper to have one to see what would happen, and man did she use that quickly.

I don't think they auto-loot bodies but there's been a few times I've watched a companion pick up a weapon on the ground and use it.

Yeah, they do...I've checked their inventory before and sometimes they have like 4 weapons I never gave them...

I need to get back into this game... and beat mgs5. I just dropped off of both, esp mgs5 and it's BS final missions that you have to "wait" for.

I'm only apparently, according to a coworker, half way through of fallout 4's story.

Yeah, they do...I've checked their inventory before and sometimes they have like 4 weapons I never gave them...

welp, the thing about weapons, I had passed some good weapons out to settlers only to see they were not using them. So I took away their other weapons. Yeah. Did not realize they needed ammo for special weapons. Then you get to watch them attack mutants and so forth with their bare fists. oops.

Definitely have to provide ammo for the weapon given to a settler. I usually give each 200 rounds of ammo unless it is the minigun then it is 500 rounds.

In other news, my main base at Starlight Drive-in is coming along nicely. Was able to cover up the water pit in the middle of the drive-in using wood topped foundation blocks. Still need to decorate the top interior rooms but that won't take long. What I really like is I can go through the building to the top of the screen and watch enemies getting annihilated by the multitude of rocket, laser and machinegun turrets. Always fun to watch. :D

AceGoober_FO4_0035.jpg

Yeah, it does but I put them off to the right and out of the way. Makes the view from watching my minions unobstructed. :p

The water pit at Starlight is perfect for an industrial water purifier, just sayin'....

Back