Fallout 4 VR Confirmed for E3 2017

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
At E3 in 2016 Bethesda promised a Fallout 4 VR launch in 2017. Now we know that it will be coming at E3 this year. Reportedly it is "the most incredible thing you've seen in your life." Hyperbole aside, it does sound like it could be pretty awesome. Support from big AAA tiles I'm actually interested in has been one of the things I personally have been waiting for in order to take the dive into VR. That, and higher resolution headsets without a screen door effect. Whether or not they stick with teleportation movement, or something else will be interesting to see as well.

Still, with some 170 hours already invested in Fallout 4 at this point, and having finished all the main story lines, I'm not convinced that the addition of VR would be enough to suck me back in. It would have been nice if the VR and standard editions had launched simultaneously. I think getting to that point will be an important milestone for mass VR adoption. As awesome as the VR versions of these games may be, I suspect most fans of a franchise won't be willing to wait more than a year and a half after initial launch to play the latest installment of a series, and once they have already played it, are much less likely to go back once a VR version is available and play it again.

While Hines doesn't say whether or not Fallout 4 VR will be playable at the conference, I'd wager something will be given the fact Howard has previously suggested it can be played "from start to finish right now", even if there's still work to be done. In an interview last year, Howard said movement was, at that stage, governed by teleportation, but that he and his team were "experimenting with a few other techniques."

Seriously how many times do they want us to play through this game?

Lets just start with fallout 5 and supporting vr at launch? :D

Although getting big name titles to move toward it will help move VR along in the end

Seriously how many times do they want us to play through this game?

Lets just start with fallout 5 and supporting vr at launch? :D

Although getting big name titles to move toward it will help move VR along in the end

My thoughts exactly. More big titles with VR support = more VR headset sales.

More VR headsets in the hands of users = more titles developed for VR.

So this is a huge and positive step, but I really feel we need to get to the point of simultaneous VR and standard releases.

Looking at stuff like this, where the RE7 developers said it was like "developing two games at once", it's probably going to take a while to convince studios to go after it, unless engines find a intelligent way to aid simultaneous development.

With a little luck - however - once Bethesda have figured out how to implement VR well in Fallout 4, it will be less of an uphill battle to do so in future releases.

Agreed. It really is stuck in the chicken and the egg stage right now and either the publishers have to spend money on vr titles hoping they sell or consumers buy vr headsets with not many good games.

I do like how much support bethesda gives titles after launch, my biggest complaint is always when a game comes out it often feels abandoned for life.

I still haven't tried RE7 VR yet but really am excited to. Closest thing I have is the samsung headset.

Think of this as fallout 5 vr test run. :)

I will play it depending on how movement works and what headset it supports best.

I'm guessing we won't be seeing much of Kyle after FO4 VR is released.

I'd like to try it too, but I'm not about to buy a PS4 and PSVR in order to do so.

Platform exclusives need to die in a fire.

Yup. I think console is a great medium for getting VR a kickstart, but exclusive will do the opposite.

Doing my 2nd playthrough right now....while I LOVE the idea....with how buggy and weird stuff is in Bethesda games, I can't even imagine how much I'd puke on myself trying to do this in VR

In all honestly, I may try this game again IN VR, I Beat it about 6 months ago...

By the Time this is released... It will have been almost a year since played :p

Nice...I haven't played F4 yet. I also now have an excuse to get a Vive. (Still haven't pulled the trigger!)

I think PSVR was aiming for this game to release their "gun" type controller for VR ! Can't wait

I've held out an not played, it. Bring it to my Vive! I'm ready! I've had quite a bit of from the Doom3's VR mod. Can't wait!

I mean, if it is free if you own a copy and works on PC/Rift DKII I wouldn't mind dusting it off and giving it a spin. If it is exclusive to the PS4..fuck it. I've made my stance on where I feel VR will end up clear so I'm certainly not going to buy another setup.

Since getting my steam link, i have been playing most of my games in the living room on my big screen... made some older games more enjoyable. Right now i only have a GVR for my s7 edge, but i like to see more VR love for the high-end HMD's.. that means by the time i buy my first one, not only will the price be better, but there will be more games for it. Win win..imo

If it's teleportation based, I'm not really interested. There are a lot of games like that now, and it's really frustrating. For a world exploring game that's as massive as FO4, I can't imagine hoping across the wastes like that would be any fun.

I mean, if it is free if you own a copy and works on PC/Rift DKII I wouldn't mind dusting it off and giving it a spin. If it is exclusive to the PS4..fuck it. I've made my stance on where I feel VR will end up clear so I'm certainly not going to buy another setup.

Will not be PS4 exclusive. It's being built for PC first and foremost, built upon OpenVR so it'll be available on Steam.

If it's teleportation based, I'm not really interested. There are a lot of games like that now, and it's really frustrating. For a world exploring game that's as massive as FO4, I can't imagine hoping across the wastes like that would be any fun.

Won't be teleportation-only. Their plan is to "ship with as many locomotion options as possible". Based on hints dropped by Todd Howard I think we'll see teleportation + movement stick (DPAD) + roomscale (free movement), and you'll get the most out of the game by using a combination of the three. So you'll be able to cross larger expanses with teleportation or DPAD (unless you're in combat which should temporarily disable teleport), but you'll be free to move around in roomscale any time - search a room or pick a lock, crouch down in the grass to snipe, whatever.

Personally I can't wait to lose my mud the first time I encounter Deathclaw in VR. Or the first time I lift my left hand controller and see a pipboy on my arm - should be one of those defining moments.

Last edited:
Back